Stargate SG-1

There But for the Grace of God

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Feb 20, 1998 on Syfy

• the things they do lose value.

im sorry, but i dont like it. i think that now when we know this about alternate universes, everything that is done in the show means less! i mean, Sg1, the earth, and all the good guys are losing in another reality, and they mean as much as ours. for all we know, the reality the show is about could be one of the few ones that are doing good, and most of the others could be screwed.. ---

also, in a later alternate universe episode we learn that "our" version are one of the handful ones who hasnt fallen to the gould. And as they say in the same episode, "how do we know which is the real universe?" ---

no, i want the things that Sg1 does to be "saving the universe stuff", not just one of the infinite versions of the universes! its no like in some other plotlines, where they go back and prevent something from happening, this do happen, and it happens to pretty much "us". it is very hard to explain how i think. only if you consider "our" more important that other realities, we can say that they save the universe. this takes away all the good things Sg1 does!
  • PRAY FOR US!

There But For the Grace of God has a very dark feel to it. We see an alternate reality of SG-1 in a parallel universe. An alien artifact transports Daniel to an alternate reality, where he is not a part of the Stargate program and the Goa'uld -- led by Teal'c -- are invading Earth. This episode almost has a little bit of a James Bond feel to it. In that everything is at stake. We have to fight to save the future for Earth. I Tracey K. Nameth call this a do or die episode. Like Alice in wonderland. Except in this SG-1 episode it's Dr. Daniel Jackson through the looking glass.
  • Daniel learns how well Earth would fair against a Goa'uld invasion first hand...

The first of many alternate reality episodes is definitely a good one. Daniel learns of the information that could save Earth in our reality. Truthfully this episode should be part of the 3-parter that spans the end of season 1 to the beginning of season 2. For some reason I always like the episodes where we see fighting and combat within the hallways of the SGC, and this one is no exception. It was, however, a little disjointing to see Carter and Jack not working with Daniel as part of SG-1. The episode really does a good job of making Daniel appear to be completely alone amongst the stranger of this alternate reality. However, I was happy that in the end Jack, Sam, and Catherine work to help get Daniel back to his reality.
  • Dr. Jackson travels to an alternate reality.

This was one of the best episodes from the first season, and a great lead up to the season finale. Daniel finds a strange mirror on SG-1's visit to P3R-233. Daniel somehow activates it and it send him to an parallel universe. Its interesting to see that in this universe O'neill is a Major General and Hammond is a Colonel, Carter and O'neill are engaged, Teal'c is still First Prime of Apophis, and his counter-part...well that reality's Dr.Jackson is dead. This is a real informative and interesting episode that shows what would have happened had Apophis invaded Earth. Daniel somehow convinces that universes O'neill to believe him and that he needs to get back to his world to avoid the same from happening. Very good episode, great acting by Micheal Shanks. I thinks its one of the most memorable from seaon 1.
    Overall, great.
  • They are coming...

This episode - I have no words. Exciting is not the right word - it was very nerve wracking and all the excitement, all the tempo and the alternate reality thing - it was so shocking in one point but also very very enjoyable storyline - the way it should what could have been, how things could have been worked out and the early warning it gave to them - there might be change.

And that it was Daniel - all the way he knew things about those alternate persons and gaining their trust. Teal'c on that reality and the attack. Super episode. Cannot wait what comes now.
  • Alternate realities?

"There But For The Grace of God" is the first episode to explore the fact of alternate realities, which the show continues to use in a number of different episodes. The Quantum Mirror (the device that sends Daniel to the "other place") was an arceological find by the people on that planet, and as far as I know, it true creators are unknown (I think it may be the Ancients, since it was made from naquadah.) The fact that Daniel witnessed the reality in which Earth was under attack was as lucky as anyone could be considering there are an infinate number of realities. Without the intel he recived his own reality could have been just as oblivious to the upcoming attack as the "other place."
  • Interesting, very interesting

I really like this episode. Daniel gets transported to an alternate reality and is very confused. The people in the alternate reality are also very confused. Jack and Sam are together (as they are in every alternate reality). No one believes him about where he came from and no one knows him. He tries to explain his situation and eventually does. I'm not sure where my memory of this episode ends and the next one begins, so excuse me if I overlap. He eventually finds his way back to his reality and tries to warn everyone of the impending Goa'uld attack, but no one believes him. Very good episode with lots and lots of foreshadowing.
  • awesome episode...

Daniel finds a mirror off world and touches it and then gets stuck in an alternate reality. Everything's slightly different: Jack is a general, Sam is not in the airforce, Teal'c is still Anubis's first prime, and so on. This idea was just awesome. It as so cool to see the slight differnces of the characters that we know so well. I really liked the general Jack and I loved his very heroic death. Anyways, Daniel eventually gets back to his reality and tries to warn them of the impending doom. Oh, and in the alternate reality earth was being destroyed and enslaved by Anubis. Overall, great episode, great writing, great idea, just a classic SG-1 episode!
  • Great episode...

This episode is the start of a 4 part arc that continues into the second season. This is also the start of many alternate reality episodes, the alternate reality episodes aren't bad they are some of the best episodes on the series. Daniel touches a mirror on a planet and he tries to back to earth and when he gets there no one has ever seen him before, General Hammond is a Colonel, and Jack is a General. They are being attacked by the Goa'uld. Major cities are being wiped out. Teal'c is leading them. This episode also does some forshadowing because in season 8 Jack will become a General and Teal'c will have hair. Tealc's hair in this episode is just so funny looking I have to laugh every time I watch the episode. Later...
  • Perfect

This is without a doubt the best episode in the first season and one of the best in the series. First off it is a great story by one of my favorite writers David Kemper one of the Executive Producers for one of my favorite shows Farscape. This was a very necessary episode to show the threat the Goa’uld actually pose and what would happen if they ever made it to Earth. I loved the alternate versions of the team and the return of Dr. Langford. This is also one of the best action episodes in the first season. Overall this is a must see episode for any would be fan.
  • This was a prime example of Stargate SG-1's pure awesomeness.

This was an awesome episode, and the alternate reality thing was so cool. And it was also the first time in the series so far, that dealt with alternate realities. When SG-1 goes to P3R-233, Daniel finds a quantum mirrior, touches it, and is taken to an alternate timeline where Earth is under attack from Apophis. Daniel meets the Sam and Jack of that world, in which they are engaged to be married! *does loud cheer* But anyways Daniel tries to figure out a way to stop the attack on this earth, being he's the only one who's been transported to this alternate timeline, and to find a way back to ours. They're attempts to try and talk to Teal'c fail, and he kills Jack. I know I was ready to sob uncrontroably at that point too.:( But in the end Daniel did gate home, and now all he has to do is convice the SGC that 'the destroyers'(Apophis) is coming to destroy Earth. And that they are going to have to gate to the gate adress with the following matching symbols:3,32,16,8,10,12 on the cartouch, the planet is Abydos. I don't have anything else I want to say because that would spoil it. But my favorite qoute is the following one.

Sam : I surrender! I have information that can help Apophis. There is technology he will want to know about. This is a remote control to an interdimensional portal. I can tell Apophis how to find it!
    Jaffa : Hashak Kreyak!
    Sam : (pulling out a grenade) Thank you. Oh yeah. I also wish to blow us all to hell. ROFLMAO!!!
  • The Goa'uld attack earth, and kill over a billion people. A Goa'uld attack lead by Teal'c himself leaves everyone inside SGC dead. Could this be humanity's last great battle?

No! This is an alternate reality that Jackson visits after returning to Earth through the Stargate. In this reality, O'Neill is Gen., Hammond is Col., Carter is engaged with O'Neill, and Elizabeth is still heading the program. But there is one other major difference in this reality, the Goa'uld are attacking Earth when Jackson arrives there. For four days, the Goa'uld have been attacking major cities worldwide, leaving over one billion people dead (incl. Dr. Jackson, who never joined SGC). With the Goa'uld - lead by Teal'c - making their way deeper into SGC, Earth's only hope remains with Jackson returning to his reality with this information to save it from the Goa'uld.

This is probably the first great episode of SG1. This has such a great story-line that gives us an image of how the world could be if/when the Goa'uld made/make it to Earth. We also get to see a great performance from Michael Shanks, and we get to see the other members of SGC in different roles, but with the same histories and personalities. Some great action and suspense complete this fantastic episode.
  • Daniel touches a mirror and is sent to an alternate earth, where everything is similar, but completely different.

I never get tired of alternate reality shows. I think they are one of my favorites. Once I get to know the characters a bit I like to see them playing parts a little differently.

I thought this episode was pretty good. It shows you what is to come in the following episodes. We now know that the Goa'uld are on their way to Earth. Luckily, Daniel found out so the SGC can come up with a plan to stop the attacks before they start.

This episode also showed the true feeling that Jack and Sam have for each other. Of course nothing can come of it where Daniel is from, but it was nice to see.
  • Everyone else as said "Alternate Reality", but I think "Series Classic" sums this up perfectly. It is quite possible the first truly great episode of SG-1.

This is definitely one of the more successful serious episodes from the first season. It has a very strong and interesting story, and despite not having as much humour as previous episodes, it never ceases to be entertaining.

One thing I noticed in this episode is how well the music is used. Two key examples are when O'Neill is setting up explosives with his men (right before Daniel tries translating the message), and most notably the brilliantly shot scene with the Goa'uld Mothership appearing over the mountain.

The episode is also effectively grim in showing how easily Earth was being overrun by the Goa'uld, whether it be the news report on TV or seeing our heroes get killed in the SGC (or is it SGA?). There are some other notably great moments such as when the alternate characters are looking at Daniel's video footage on the monitor, Daniel trying to convince alternate O'Neill to let him go through to warn his Earth, and Daniel and Teal'c staring off in the gate room.

Despite the numerous goofs listed for this episode, and only a few silly moments that don't quite work, this is truly one of the all-time classic SG-1 episodes. A must see for any soon-to-be SG-1 fan.
  • Daniel visits a mirror universe that is the same, but different from the world he knows.

Once again, not the most original idea since the mirror universe has been done on a lot of sci-fi series like Star Trek, but it's still good. It's a nice change of pace that someone goes to an alternate universe and they are also good and not all bad, but things are still a little different. The episode was very interesting just to see all of the changes that have been made, some people are dead in the alternate universe and some just have different military ranks. It always seems that Daniel always has the bad luck of visiting the strange worlds first, but he would want it that way.
  • Daniel wakes up in an alternat reality after touching an alien mirror.

This episode was very exciting. It showed an alternate version of what could happen to Earth. In this reality, Daniel is not with the Stargate program and has to explain how he knows about the Stargate. He eventually convinces O'neill and the others in the alternate reality of what has happened. In addition, we get to see what would have happened if they had not gone to Chulak and met Teal'c. It is great to see him as a bad guy. This episode also sets up the Season 1 finale and Season 2 premier. In those episodes, Aphophis is about to launch an attack on Earth, similar to what Daniel sees in the alternate reality.
  • While on P3R-233, Daniel touches what appears to be a large mirror. Finding no sign of the rest of the team, he returns to Earth only to find that no one knows who he is. And that's not the worst of it: this Earth is under Goa'uld attack!

I personally love alternate reality episodes. It's always interesting to explore how things might have turned out had we not had our heroes to protect us. "There But for the Grace of God" accomplishes this goal and takes it a step farther, as the events of this episode set up the season finale. All in all, this action packed episode is one of SG-1's finest.

The Good:
    Michael Shanks gives a spectacular performance that really makes this episode interesting. Arriving on an alternate Earth, which is under Goa'uld attack, Daniel goes from being confused about his situation to being driven to prevent his Earth from suffering a similar fate. Shanks plays this transition masterfully, with his finest moment being his plea for help from the alternate Jack O'Neill. The other cast members also do good jobs of portraying their alternate counterparts. The confrontation alternate O'Neill and Teal'c, who is leading the attack on Earth is a great scene. Speaking of confrontation, the battle for the alternate SGC is just plain cool (Hammond even gets to fire a gun). The action always keeps you biting your nails, wondering what will happen next.

The Bad:
    This episode takes place almost completely at the SGC. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as we do get to see some of it get blown up. The alien planet is bad though. It is quite obviously a poorly disguised sound stage, and the alien laboratory is a small folding wall off in a corner. Still that's about the worst of it (though the alternate Teal'c's hair is a bid questionable). Seriously, the flaws in this episode are very minor.

Bottom Line:
    "There but for the Grace of God" is an action-packed thrill ride that foreshadows events to come. This episode is a must see.