Stargate SG-1

Thor's Hammer

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Sep 26, 1997 on Syfy

• Seriously...

How can you NOT fall in love with Daniel Jackson in this episode?
  • Goa'uld Info

This episode finds Jack and Teal'c trapped in a labyrinth while Sam and Daniel are dealing with Viking age people trying to find a way to rescue them. Along the way of the story we find a lot of background information on the Goa'uld, the first one, Unas, that the Asgardians have technology that can free a host form the Goa'uld and much much more. My main issue with this episode is that when they find a the tech that can destroy the Goa'uld they destroy it instantly so Teal'c can exit the maze. They didn't even try to fin d an alternate way doing things. Just blast blast blast. It seems kinda stupid.
  • so good but stupid

great episode it gets a ten in everything but logic because they left jack behind to pretty much die two episodes ago and oh your a scientist or a military man and you find something that can destroy your enemy and you destroy it without studying it first? not even going back to your superiors to get a orders it's not as if he was left to starve it was more like a jail with no time limit on how long he could be there there is not enough justification in my mind for their actions i want to give it a 1 but it was a 10 wonderfully put together just wish they were looking at the big picture
  • Welcome to Cimmeria - protected world by the Asgard

A fantastic episode, where a lot of first time information is given to the viewer. We now know that the Goa'uld are not the only powerful race in the galaxy and that the Vikings (the Asgard) have devised weapons to neutralize the Goa'uld; we know that humans are not the only feasible host for a Goa'uld; we have our first suspicions from Daniel that the Goa'uld did not invent the Stargate and we now know that it's possible for a host to survive the extraction of a symbiote.
    I thought it was rather mean that SG-1 destroyed the only defensive weapon that the Cimmerians own, but leaving Teal'c behind was never going to be the answer. After all, they should be safe from the Goa'uld as long as nobody leaks the fact that the Hammer is not working. Of course, having the Asgard and SG-1 as friends ... will definitely help in the future :)
  • TOP TIER...BRILLIANT...****!

The mere mention of a planet quarantined by the Goa'uld sets SG-1's hopes of finding a possible ally. From the onset comes the first hint of the legendary Asgard race and their current, ongoing war against the Goa'uld. On arrival on P3X-974 also known as Cimmeria O'Neill and Teal'c get whisked away by an energy beam and find themselves trapped in an underground labyrinth. Gritty, intense, evocative and emotional, Thor's Hammer takes you to the secret Asgard weapon on the planet and explores the difficulties in getting O'Neill and Teal'c safely out of the labyrinth as well as the equally powerful consequences of gaining or losing a vauable ally. A must-see episode for all SG-1 fans, Thor's Hammer is so much more. It's a true-to-life depiction of SG-1 -- Earth's best heroes who fight under extraordinary conditions in the hopes of finding a valuable ally and preserving a Goa'uld killing weapon. Thor's Hammer is a perfect ten that I Tracey K. Nameth call "an unfliching look at SG-1's most powerful ally to come!"
  • We are introduced to some of the coolest aliens in the galaxy.

Fantastic episode that introduces us to the lovable Asgard. We don't get to see them, but we learn that they are a powerful and benevolent race of beings. In the same episode we are introduced to the original host of the Goa'uld the Unas. This where the episode earns its "Pivotal" rating. The Unas and especially the Asgard have a very heavy influence throughout the series. This episode is also very important in that SG-1 finds living proof that the host does indeed survive blending with the Goa'uld symbiote. Especially touching was the decision Daniel made at the end of the episode to save Teal'c despite the fact that is was he who chose Sha're for implantation. Very important episode, not to be missed.
  • SG-1 travel to a world where a strange device protects the planet from Goa'uld invaders. Teal'c and O'neill are trapped in a cave and need to find a way out.

A welcome return to a fresh storyline. We scratch the surface of the alein, the Asgard, who will later become a close ally of Earth. The battle with the Unas was trilling , Darth Vader himself James Earl Jones does the voice of the Unas, which made it all that much cooler. The events in this episode are looked back upon in future seasons so thats the significance of it all. At the end they destroy the planet's only defence from the Goa'uld in order to get Teal'c out, which is perfect setup for a return to the planet in the future. Great acting my Christopher Judge, overall good episode.
  • Not all may be like it seems...

This was another episode, what show a new angle of the stargate and Goa'uld thing. It was the first proof that there is change to get Goa'uld out of the host and stay alive as the local lady did. And the way that news affected Daniel and it was he, in the end, who had to destroy that "hammer" in case to get Teal'c out. I like the dilemma and the choice he made. The way the try so hard to portray the friendship between Teal'c and the theme. I understand it somehow but it still looks little bit odd - if Goa'ulds where gods to Jaffas, how could Teal'c so easily just trough it all away? But that does not matter - it matters what the want to say - that we all can make right choices.
  • Not much of Action...

I am not huge fan of Teal'C. I am huge fan of Daniel Jackson. Jack O'Neill is so humor and makes me laugh lot~! Teal'C only speak if they ask him something or he still acts like obey someone. He is freed from false god. But, Teal'C did join the team of SG-1 make me proud and happy. Teal'C should be proud of himself and free! This episode didn't make me more excited or motivate to watch. The team was separated from two group: Jack/Teal'C in the underground and Daniel/Sam have to search and rescue them to safety. Good episode, but need great adventure!
  • good episode...

SG-1 goes to a planet that has a Thor's Hammer and Jack and Teal'c get trapped in a labyrinth. Of course, they eventually get out, though they met a primative goa'uld on the way (an unas). I think this was the episode that introduced the unas race, which is awesome because I like the unas story line. Chaka is one of my favorite recurring characters. Anyways, back to this episode, Carter and Daniel are off on the planet seeking help and they eventually help Jack and Teal'c get out. Overall, interesting story, some development of Jack/Teal'c relationship, and a good episode.
  • Very good episode

This is a very good episode. You get introduced to Thor (Norse god, Supreme Commander of the Asgard Fleet) and get exposed to some history of the Goa'uld (that planet is off limits for Goa'uld and Jaffa), and for good reason - all new arrivals are scanned by Thor's Hammer and if a Goa'uld symbiote is found the host/Jaffa is beamed away into a confusing cavern whose only exit has a Jaffa/Goa'uld proof shield. Very good. And the Unas are introduced as the first race of alien beings used as hosts for Goa'uld. Overall a very revealing, pivotal, and interesting episode.
  • Very good episode...

This is one of the best epsiodes in the first season. Daniel figures that the Goaúld didn't build the stargate system and that other Aliens have visited earth. They go to the planet Cimmeria. Just to point this out Gairwyn was in a season 5 episode of MacGyver she played an annoying character in macgyver but I liked her character on stargate better. Teal'c and O'neill get stuck in some thing that traps Goauld symbiotes and removes them from the host or jaffa. Then they find a creature called the Unas they have a hard time killing it. It was really cool to have James Earl Jones doing the voice of the Unas. It must have been really hard for Daniel to destroy that device that takes the symbiotes out of people because that might have been the only chance to release his wife of the Goa'uld. Later...
  • Looking for allies against the Goa'uld, the SG-1 team gates through to Cimmeria, home of the legendary Norse gods.

This ep was very good, in that it gave some new element's
    to the show (I.E) the Asgard and the old Goa'uld host the Unas. If you look the Unas is very defferant then in the later episodes. I did have a thought as to the Asgard "Thor's Hammer," why didn't the Asgard use/or turn it in to a weapon or gun with all there Technology,
    to help SG-1 in stoping the Goa'uld from enslave the Galaxy, just a thought. All and all a very good episode
    of the first season. FA out=)
  • One of the few important episodes of the first season

This is one of the most important episodes in the first season and the entire show. This is the first episode to suggest that the Goa’uld did not build the Stargates and that Ancient Earth was visited by other Alien Races. I liked the character of Gairwyn who was brilliantly played by the talented Tamsin Kelsey. I liked Kendra but was annoyed by her waiting for signs in the form of thunder. I really liked the introduction of Norse Mythology and the Asgard. It defiantly changed the show for the better. The Unas was interesting and the addition of James Earl Jones’ voice added to its menacing size. All in all the first great episode in the show.
  • Much is revealed about the origin of the Stargate, and the history of the Goa'uld. Plus a great performance from James Earl Jones.

Using the Norse mythological figure Thor, Jackson theorizes that there may be allies for humans in the war against the Gua'uld. Teal'c informs SG1 of the hammer being the symbol for a planet called Sumeria, which is forbidden to the Gua'uld. Upon arriving to the planet, a giant stone hammer beams Teal'c and Jack into a labyrinth prison designed specifically for the Gua'uld. The function of this prison is to rid the host of the Gua'uld. Of course this brings some much needed hope to Jackson, who thinks this may be the answer to saving his wife. Unfortunately, Teal'c is unable to leave the labyrinth for if he separates himself from the Gua'uld, he will die. With the help of the native Kendra (a former host to the Gua'uld), Jackson and Carter find a way to help Teal'c and Jack escape. However, the only way for Teal'c to leave the labyrinth alive is to destroy the hammer that rids the host of the Gua'uld. It is only fitting that Jackson destroys the hammer, since with the hammer's destruction, the hope of saving his wife is lost.

This is a great episode for several reasons. It provides information about the history of the Stargate and about the first hosts of the Gua'uld. Also, it is in this episode that Jack refers to Teal'c as family for the first time. James Earl Jones has a great special guest appearance as the voice of Unas, one of the first hosts for the Gua'uld, who has been trapped in the labyrinth for quite a long time. This is a GREAT episode that shouldn't be skipped.
  • You learn some Goa'uld history in this episode.

Very interesting and some what exciting episode. Daniel believes that the Goa'uld were not the creators of the Stargate's and this planet proves that theory.

When they go through the gate, Teal'c and O'Neill are taken to Labyrinth and Teal'c can't escape without killing the Goa'uld larva inside him.

They find out that humans were not the original hosts for Goa'ulds and have to try to escape the Labyrinth before the Goa'uld Unas kills them.

Whenever SG-1 finds a device that could do the Goa'uld harm, you know that it will be destroyed in the end. Can't of a sad fact, but if they didn't destroy it then Teal'c would be stuck there and no one would want that.

I enjoyed the episode and learned a lot of backstory in the process.
  • Revealing is the ideal description, as unoriginal as it is.

Stargate gets a push in the right direction, with this important episode adding that little bit more to the Stargate Universe. From claiming the Goa'uld didn't build the Stargate, to a race of friendly aliens that hates the Goa'uld, this episode hinted at a whole lot more to come.

There are some great elements in this episode, the strongest arguably being the situation O'Neill and Teal'c being put in, allowing for development of their great chemistry and relationship.

James Earl Jones as the menacing Unas provides added entertainment value, as does the presence of the very talented Tamsin Kelsey, who plays Gairwyn so well.

One thing that really irritated me about the episode, however, were the scenes where Kendra waits for signs from Thor and other spiritual things. But thankfully, this doesn't ruin the episode entirely.

All in all, this is a must-see episode for any soon-to-be SG-1 fan.
  • This is the first time they talk about the creators of the Startgate as being someone other than the Goa'uld.

After having a briefing about how they no longer believe that the Goa’uld built the Stargates, and are just using them to their advantage, they now believe that the ‘Vikings’ or Thor’s race from Norse mythology, built them. Teal’c brings up the point that he knows where Thor’s race is located, and that the planet was forbidden by all Jaffa to ever go there. When arriving on the planet called Cimmeria, Teal’c and Jack are transported to another part of the planet.

Sam and Daniel go to find a woman who was once a host but had the Goa’uld symbiote removed from her by something called Thor’s Hammer. But if Teal’c’s symbiote is removed he will die. So they are presented with the problem of getting to Jack and Teal’c before Teal’c is killed.

Down in the labyrinth Jack and Teal’c make their way to a hall, and meet the one responsible for eating the person, whose bones they found down one of the hallways. It’s something called a Unas! Which according to Teal’c is just a very old Jaffa myth, because supposedly, the Unas was the very first Goa’uld host!

After finding a woman named Kendra, Sam and Daniel set out to find them and get them out of there and back to safety. Daniel strongly believes that Thor’s Hammer is the key to getting Shar’e back.

Sam and Daniel arrive just in time to see Jack and Teal’c kill the Unas by forcing him into the Hammer. It’s then that they remember that Teal’c can’t get out because the Hammer will kill him, so against what he really feels he wants to do, Daniel destroys the Hammer, and in so doing helps save Teal’c. They end up making friends with the people of Cimmeria, and promise to return.

This is the first episode where the Asgard are introduced to us, even though we don’t even realize it at the time. And it thus sets the idea of meeting them in the future.
  • The SG-1 crew arrive on a world where they worship Thor, God of Thunder.

"Thor's Hammer" is one of the best episodes this season, it is just a really cool episode. A lot about the aliens are told in this episode, and not all aliens are bad. There is so much that you learn from just this one story, it has to be seen! I don't like to give stuff away, so I try not to spoil anything. Let's just say that this land may have the cure needed to save Daniel's wife. Before this episode, all of the aliens have been shown in a bad light, but there are more than the bad aliens out there. That's the main message this episode sends. Once again, I highly recommend this episode!!
  • My favourite episode of Season 1.

Another part of mythology is found to be true, and this is one of the reasons why I love Stargate. Thor's Hammer is one of my favourite episodes of season one. The whole concept of what Thor\'s Hammer really is (in the world of Stargate anyway) is very interesting. And since I became a Stargate fan somewhere around season 6 or 7, I saw this episode while recapping, and I already knew who Thor was. It is amazing what he did for these ppl. This episode didnt have an excessive amount of action, but was more story driven.