Stargate SG-1

Threshold (3)

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jul 06, 2001 on Syfy

• Clip show with moments of good acting

Clip show with moments of good acting.

The framing device had moments of good acting by Christopher Judge.

The clips I fast fowarded through.
  • Another rousing performance from the underrated Christopher Judge.

Christopher Judge has shown his strength as an actor yet again. Throughout the entire series he can be funny, heartbreaking, sombre and downright scary. This episode demonstrates all of these.

Teal'C's story has been lacking a bit of background until now, and with the addition Bra'tac doing his Obi-Wan routine, this episode helps Season Five get off to a great start.

Teal'C's story has all about redemption, and for the first time we get to see what he has done in the past - and how far gone he really was - to warrant that need for redemption and freedom. Well done Brad Wright and Peter DeLuise for another fine installment.
  • ughhh...

I can't stand Teal'c's story lines. They are so annoying and boreing and they're always the same. Teal'c has been brainwashed, a few years ago his son was brainwashed. And, of course, the SGC gets him back to normal after almsot killing him. It was predicatable and terrible. The only reason it was sort of good was because Bra'tac was in it and I love Bra'tac. There were a couple of funny moments too. Other than that, however, the episode sucked. It was boreing and almost pointless. I really hope they stop doing Teal'c story lines because they are seriously getting on my nerves.
  • Very moving.

It hadn't occurred to me until this episode that Stargate SG-1 actually does drama really well. I mean, I do enjoy the show when it's in "fun action runaround" mode, but I definitely like it the best when the episodes are on the more dramatic, character-based side (Solitudes, Singularity, There But For the Grace of God, Point of View, Forever in a Day, Jolinar's Memories/The Devil You Know, The Serpent's Venom, 2010). I suppose that's why I sometimes get frustrated with SG-1 because it tends to focus more on the action when I might be after something meatier - it's a show that really, really depends on my mood. This is a series that fits the bill perfectly when I want something a bit lighter or just plain fun to watch, but that isn't always enough. Thankfully it usually delivers when I want it too and it very much did here.

Anyway. Threshold. This episode made me cry at the end. I don't think this series has managed that before, although the sensitive examination of grief that was Forever in a Day came very close. I love that this episode finally showed us just what makes Teal'c tick - it's only been five years, but they got there in the end! We finally get his reasoning for switching sides in Children of the Gods explained. We get to see how he came to realise Apophis and the Goa'uld were false gods. Threshold is essentially a very, very well done flashback episode, interspersed with some tense scenes where the rest of SG-1 and Bra'tac are forced to confront their brainwashed friend and bring his old self back again. It's amazingly acted (especially Tony Amendola, whose episode it is almost as much as Christopher Judge's), brilliantly written (Brad Wright can really bring it when he wants to) and superbly directed, with some really memorable visuals (the snowy plains, Ra's ruined planet).

One of the very best episodes of the series and a fine addition to a very strong overall season.
  • Remembering the past...

It was little bit flashback episode, as in the end we get back to the events where the serie started years ago but it mostly opened us more and more why Teal'c years ago made him say "Many have said it but you are the first one I believe"

I first thought that this was really good one, but to look back and think about it - there have been better episodes, but not better Teal'c episodes. This really showed the deep inner he had before breaking away from Apophis. Very touching episode, with some really great backstory. Definitely worth a watch.