Stargate SG-1

Touchstone

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Oct 30, 1998 on Syfy

• ENEMIES CLOSER TO HOME!

When a group posing as an SG team steals the climate-controlling Touchstone from the planet Madrona, the planet's weather deteriorates, threatening inhabitants with imminent death unless the device is recovered. Madrona's high priest Roham and his granddaughter princess La Moor, blame the SG-1 team for the theft. The SG-1 team makes a disturbing discovery -- the second Stargate on Earth, which had been officially decommissioned, was reactivated by high level orders and used to steal the Touchstone. Now the weather device is on Earth and being used to manipulate the world's climate. When General Hammond discovers the whereabouts of the second Stargate, the SG-1 team races to it, determined to find the Touchstone before all of Madrona perishes, and to discover the hidden agenda behind the Touchstone's theft.
  • Those sneaky NID guys...

I could care less about the touchstone, the cool part of this episode was tracking it down. I am a huge fan of the NID/Trust storyline, very intriguing stuff. I always enjoy the verbal duels between Harry and Jack and this episode was no exception. Like I said the touchstone itself was a big yawn, but getting to follow SG-1 to Area 51 was great and I loved how Hammond got his hands dirty hunting for the culprits. Favorite line of the episode was Maybourne's after Teal'c's dismemberment line, where he simply says "Interesting." The way he says it is just priceless. Anyways, a good classic NID story and fun episode overall.
  • Another way to Earth...

I liked this episode - all the adventure, the action, the things and secrets around them. A really good variety for the previous episode.

I loved the secrets and the way they came step by step closer to the second stargate - by hunting it from the other world, to be honest.

And all the mission thing on Earth, trying to sneak in and take the second stargate. And the mission from the Madrona, to dial back to earth and get to the second gate.

This episode really had some great moments there. An exciting and catching episode, what had the motion, movement and lot of action.
  • pretty good episode that introduces civilians using the gate...

A touchstone that controls the weather on a planet is stolen and SG-1 goes out to try to find out who stole it and it turns out to be their own. Apparently, the Antarctica gate was used to steal the touchstone by a group of civilians and politicians knew about it. Hammond was pissed...Anyways, Jack gets the touchstone back to the planet and restores good weather. Overall, it's an ok episode. Nothing too great, but not too bad. It's one of the first times that they introduced a civilian group that uses the gate without the clearance of the SGC. There was also good writing and funny moments and a lot of moral issues.
  • Very good moral issues

This episode marks the beginning of the rouge NID storyline that comes into play a lot over the next few seasons. This brought up some ethical issues about how to acquire alien technology. Leave it to Maybourne to steal technology from a world that depends on it to survive. I liked Whitlow and his paranoia and he was very helpful. As for the device, it was very advanced and powerful but the problem I had was they never explain who created it but most fans assume it was Asgard technology. All in all a good filler episode that starts a decent NID storyline.
  • "Well written", except for the title device.

There are only 2 real flaws with this episode. Firstly, there's the "Touchstone" itself, which is pretty silly, and not in a good Stargate kind of way. Secondly, there are the people who use and own the Touchstone, who are a bit silly with their straw costumes and spears and such.

Another flaw with the episode is toward the end, when the Touchstone is returned. The choice of music at a moment that should be joyous is instead a mysterious, menacing piece. Whoever supervised the musical choice for that scene mustn't have been paying attention.

But apart from these flaws, the episode is well written, in particular the plot concerning the rogue operation. It's a very interesting idea, and it makes sense that this sort of thing would happen. In fact, apart from the Touchstone, almost everything in this subplot is realistic and believable.

However, my absolute favourite thing about this episode is the reappearance of Maybourne. Once again he is a joy to watch whenever he's on screen, and that first scene with him and Teal'c is classic Stargate.

Once again the positive aspects outweigh the flaws, making this is an above average episode. I would recommend it to any soon-to-be SG1 fan for the fact it plants the roots of the whole rogue-NID story arc, and hopefully they'll forgive it for the whole Touchstone thing.
  • When SG-1 went to search for the so-called Touchstone they discover a sinister gouverment conspiricy. Haven't we seen this before???????

Stargate SG-1 is one of the most original Scifi series of the last years. In this episode SG-1 search for a wheaterdivice, called the Touchstone, which is stolen by other SGC members. When they do, they discover some gouverment conspiricy. Haven't we seen this before????
    Exactly: The X-Files is also focused on gouverment conspiricies and such things. I really liked The X-Files, so I also like this wonderful episode of SG-1. I loved every second of it and I tought it was really exciting. I think this is one of the best episode from the second season.