Stargate SG-1

Unending

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jun 22, 2007 on Syfy

Episode Fan Reviews page 2 of 4

• What a disappointing way to end a possible groundbreaking series and might be used by future series creators!

6.4
    What a disappointing way to end a possible groundbreaking series and might be used by future series creators! I was quite dispointed at what they cook up for this finale, with all of the build up that SF Channel had for it.

This episode didn’t feel like a series final nor even a season finale, it like it was an episode that was meant to full up the episode quota that TV series have. Because a good majority of the series finales that I have seen in my years of watching TV, they end the series in a big send off and set the slate for the possiably of movies for the series, this didn't happen with this episode of Stargate SG-1.

This episode felt like it could have been used in an earlier episode and it would of set up a lot of plot points in the series that could of explored by the writers of the series in later episodes, but the powers at be didn't take this course of action and I wish that they did.

6.4

• This is becoming a cliché for SF series finales

6.2
    Damn, I'm hating Star Trek: The Next Generation more with each passing year. It's not just that show was overrated (you couldn't pay me enough to watch most of the episodes today), but it introduced some things that have since become routine for science fiction shows today. For one thing, all season finales must be cliffhangers with the characters on the brink of death, facing an impossible situation. For another, series finales seem to desperately need time travel of some kind, thanks to "All Good Things..." In that, Picard went bouncing around time, trying to save the universe from an "anti-time" rift that supposedly grew bigger as he went back in time yet was still plenty big in the future. And they all died trying to plug the rift, but were all resurrected. After that came Voyager, where Future Janeway goes back in time to save present Janeway. Oh, did I mention Future Janeway died and Future Seven and Future Chakotay died, but they were saved in the new timeline? Deep Space Nine didn't have time travel, but Sisko died. Maybe. The execrable Enterprise finale didn't have anyone dying, but there was time travel of a sort with Riker watching the "old" stories on the holodeck. And now this. General Landry dies. Later SG-1 dies, but only for an instant. Then everyone gets resurrected. And Carter pulls out a magic solution to their problem. Not something she ever knew how to do before, but something all new. That's cheap. Really, really cheap, like most of the ST: TNG "miraculous subatomic particle" deus ex machina stories. Writers who make up this kind of resolution are cheating in the worst sense of the word. It comes completely out of the blue and of course, because it's future science, the viewers can't say, "but that won't work!"

Once, just once, I'd like to see a finale where if a character dies, they stay dead.
  • Was this the best the writers could come up with? Very disappointing. They should be ashamed of themselves. How could they treat the Asgard that way?!! And to waste the talent of this wonderful cast on such frivolousness.

2.2
    I'm Speechless. I really don't quite know what to say. You've let everyone of your fans down. The final episode could have been handled better. You could have used this episode to set up the movies, but instead you wasted the time of talented actors and demolished a most beloved people, the Asgard.
    Was there any thought in this at all?!! Because it doesn't look like there was.
    The Asgard finally admit that we are the 5th race and entrust us with all there knowledge and what do we do, destroy their legacy!!!
    The writers should be ashamed of themselves!
  • Amazing episode!!!

This last episode of the 10th season was great...The story ifound brilliant...Asgard disappearing as race, sharing their inventions with Earth and giving them finally a weapon capable of destroying Ori ships...And then that part of them being left on the ship for over 50 years, trying to find a solution to allow them to survive the ORi hit...Very original concept, and moreover i liked this episode as the last of Stargate SG-1..I'm kinda sad about this , but i am sure Atlantis will make up for it...it's one of the best i've seen and the only rate i could give was a full 10.
  • Week ending to an amazing show.

6.3
    I think the classification says it all. Ok so the Azgard gave the SG team all there knowledge...which apparently all fits onto there little ship. They end up trapped in a time bubble....for the entire show!! No O'neal, no closure. Its bad enough they decide to cancel the best show on TV, they decide to end it like that. The entire Episode was a waste. Vala and Daniel "hook-up" but dont really, Daniel studies and learns a ton of Azgard knowledge....but doesnt really. The Ori are still alive and well. The Azgard are dead, and tealc is now in his hundreds. They didnt even lead into Carter going over to Atlantis.....I guess that will come in the next Atlantis episode.
  • SG-1 freeze time to save themselves from the Ori.

I would've used the phrase "series finale" but I couldn't. I know this show isn't over, not in a long shot. However, I have mixed feelings about it. Of course, the first being...no O'NEILL!!! Since he was last seen in "The Shroud" I think THAT episode should've been a series finale. That episode works well in light of this one.

However, this episode can stand up with the SG-1 classics of the past and I enjoyed it. It provided closure on some issues. I just wish the dreaded overused in sci-fi (especially Star Trek!) reset button wasn't used. Even if Teal'c remembers everything, I don't think it fair to use the reset button.

But the show ended on the best of all possibilities and I loved that. The stargate, as Cam put it, is the ONLY way one should travel the galaxy. I was glad they didn't forget that very essential part of it.

So, overall...much better than sopranos. Acting--tops as usual.
    Music--loved the use of CCR and that sad cello piece by Carter
    Visual--always the best

I give it a 9.5.

Waiting for the movies now!
  • I was expecting a lot better.

To say this season was below average is generous. This episode does not end the series but drags on throughout and sets it up for the two or more movies without any real drama. If something had me on the edge of my seat in the finale it was OK guys, I know you survive, how bizarre are you going to make this escape. I am sorry that one of my favorite shows became less than average in the final episodes. They could have done a lot better but didn't.
    Also the replicator technology to make anything, guess you had to do something from Star Trek eventually.
    There was some light humor, but no drama. Sorry folks, you should have done better.
  • Far from the Expected

The surprisingly-personal and somber ending for StarGate SG1 lacked the high stakes and computer-created action one would expect from a science fiction adventure program. From before the beginning theme, Thor forces us to say goodbye, and acknowledge an ending that has been a long time coming. The Ori are not eradicated once and for all in a huge final battle; instead we are left to feel assured it will happen later, in yet another impossibly entertaining battle with the existence of the universe itself being decided. We see it only in our imaginations. Hey, we've been there, we've done that, loved it all.

Instead, we confront the most difficult REALITY of inevitable death, seeing an unalterable conclusion and being powerless to change it. Legacy, the Asgard living beyond death, in the minds of those who remember. Frustration, rage even, aimed at a situation you cannot bear but cannot control. It makes Cameron throw furniture across the room. Personal solace, reflection on friends we've known for what seems like forever, but have difficultly admitting even to ourselves that maybe we've grown a little weary of their company after so long. A secret taboo thought that maybe we should have let the end come years ago, instead of enduring silent meals together. But we hold out extinction because, like Daniel, there are genuine feelings unearthed in an altogether unexpected place.

But then there must be an acceptance. Not a giving up, but an uneasy yet compliant embracing of the inevitable. It's not really all that important, to save all this, is it? It's not actually a big deal, or at least it shouldn’t be. It would be nice to go back and revive it all. Perhaps stave off oblivion. But we can’t go back. The past is gone and we're at an end.

'Unending' is not simply a marker as the last episode; it is a symbolic statement about the series itself.

And for all its subtext, it still manages to fit in character, humor, and space combat with big-honkin' explosions. Vala's tears got to me, Teal'c made me laugh, and I silently cheered when they took out an Ori ship. This will not sit well with everyone; the true ending we're given is one that is reflective, emotional, and even a bit poetic. But I would take emotional closure over an attempt at intellectual closure that couldn't possibly deliver in capping a decade's worth of story.

This is far from the expected: This is an ending.

The final scene in the gate room, listing off clichés that O'Neill would hate so much, missed one, perhaps purposefully: "All good things must comes to an end". Unless you’re Carter, then you get to go on forever, it seems. And on a side note, Carter and Vala's bodies were awesome at 80-90 years old. Asgard wonder-bra technology, I guess. And the underexposure of Teal'c, I must note, keeps it from a perfect score.

But it truly is an unending. We can go back. We have magical devices known as DVD players, portals in time called reruns, and two movies in the making that will further the adventures through the Ol' Orifice.

And we never had to pay a dime for any of it.
    Mitchell: ...the best things in life are free.
  • Fitting end to the legacy.

This is it, the end of Stargate SG-1, the longest running Sci-Fi show in American history. Unending had a better feeling of ending than the other potential SG-1 series finales (Revelations, Full Circle, Lost City, and Moebius). The visual effects were awesome.

Without Jack, the finale sucked a little more because this episode marked the death of Thor and the rest of the Asgard, they were good friends of Jack, and I wanted to see how Jack took Thor’s death.

I can’t wait until “Arc of Truth,” the first Stargate SG-1 direct-to-DVD movie. The final scene was cool, SG-1 walking up the ramp to the gate, just like they’re known for best.
  • This was a great episode.

I liked this episode of Stargate SG-1 since it was really good. It was very interesting to watch. It was the best episode of the season and it was one of the best episodes of Stargate SG-1. I think that it was a good end to the series since it was really good. I hope that the movies that they are going to do are as good as the show. This is one of the best series finale's that I have watched. I liked the storyline of this episode since it was really good. I did not like it when the Asgard killed themselves because, I liked them a lot and they were the coolest aliens ever. I wish that they had been on more episodes of Stargate Sg-1 because they were very interesting characters on Stargate SG-1.
  • Wow. What bittersweet that was.

I cried when the Asgard died off. When Thor said that they were dying, that's when I started crying. I'm sorry to see those guys go. I absolutely love the Asgard. They were, by far, the best alien allies. It was nice seeing Thor again. It was profound when Thor said to Sam that the Tauri are officially the fifth race. I was like wow so we finally made it. They are gonna be terribly missed. I loved Unending. It looks like they (TPTB) practically blew the budget on the VFX/CG. It was nice seeing the whole gang together including Landry.

And.....yay.....Daniel and Vala finally kissed. I was so happy. And, from look of Vala coming out of Daniel's quarters. Looks like they finally had sex. Although, they probably would never remember. Though, you never know. We do have the two movies.

How about that nice little tribute Sci-Fi did at the end. That's what did it for me. I was crying through that thing.
  • A series finale that's not really a finale

And so it ends, the unlikely and impressive ten-year run of “Stargate SG-1”. Considering the fact that the series had been declared over after nearly every season since it’s initial Showtime cancellation after the fifth season, it’s hard to reconcile the fact that this series finale is relatively self-contained. No doubt some fans will wonder why the series didn’t wrap up the major plot threads before the end of the series.

The answer, of course, is that the series is not really over in the traditional sense. The series is spinning off into at least two direct-to-DVD films, one of which will be the resolution of the Ori plot arc. In fact, that film (“The Ark of Truth”) will cover much of the ground originally intended for this season’s finale; plans were changed when the cancellation order and film offer came down. Knowing that they could just delay the resolution to the films, the producers felt no need to manufacture a final episode with true closure.

On the one hand, this could be seen as slight to the fans, who may now be required to buy (or rent) a separate DVD just to see how the story ends. Since the decision to delay resolution was made by the producers, it could be interpreted as a marketing ploy. It’s a fair criticism, because not every fan out there is going to understand or know what the films represent. They’ll just see the series finale as a frustrating cop-out.

On the other hand, any series with such a long history (and a distinct lack of planning) will struggle with a truly satisfying and all-encompassing finale. There’s always one more element that “should have been there”. Looming large over this finale is the memory of Jack O’Neill and the almost-perfect eighth season finale “Moebius”; a number of fans still consider that to be the true ending of the series. So this finale was never going to be universally satisfying with the weight of so much expectation.

The result was an episode that could have run at any time, with very little in the way of closure. Perhaps that was for the best. Some might say that the episode provided emotional closure, but with the reset button firmly in place by the end, it’s elusive at best. If there’s a sense of anything in this series finale, it’s that the team carries on like they always have. There really is no end. The mission continues. It’s the kind of non-ending that only works because we know, as fans, that there’s more on the way. Who needs closure when the story isn’t over?

Once has to wonder, though, if the character development (such as it is) will now disappear. Character has always been somewhat expendable in the “Stargate” franchise, with a simple set of quirks in place of true progression and growth. The films will be more about plot than delving into character depths. So we’re unlikely to get insight into Mitchell, for instance, which quite a shame, as it will feed into the impression that he was an unnecessary addition.

The relationship between Daniel and Vala gets a tentative payoff, which was a nice touch. The two of them have been dancing around each other for a while, and this was a capable enough way to show that they could ultimately find a life together, The reset button keeps that from getting in the way in the future, of course, so the satisfaction is tenuous. (One might also find fault in Daniel’s harshness with Vala, which was not redeemed by his recognition of how badly he hurt her.)

All in all, this just didn’t feel like a real series finale, because the elements that would have been present were shifted to the films and some of the characters (Carter, at least) will move to “Stargate: Atlantis” or the proposed new series. This just didn’t feel like the end of a ten-year saga; it was just another episode. And while that made sense from a certain perspective, I couldn’t help but feel that it send off the series with a bit of a whimper.
  • The perfect conclusion to one of greatest television shows ever...

I really don't think that the writers ever did a better job writing a finale. Robert C. Cooper did a lot of work on this episode and I think it paid off. There was action from the first second it began and it was almost sad at the end. It was a perfect conclusion to one of the greatest Shows ever. It is sad that the Asgard are no longer with us but at least their knowledge will not be lost. The Tau'ri have now been named the fifth race after ten long and exciting years. Now with our Asgard technology we can destroy an Ori mothership like punching through a wet paper bag. There was alot of growth between Daniel and Vala also in this episode, even though it didn't really matter in the end.And the teams last words? "Indeed". It really was what it should have been in my opinion. Later.*sniff*
  • A series finale filled wilth heart out to the fans.

This episode is exactly what I had hoped for; the finale to be filled with a heart for the fans that would be so special and personal, yet still show why Stargate SG-1 has always been #1 since it first began. The Asgard deserved to be part of the finale and I'm so glad the writer's brought them in for this one last time. The fan's were given special alone time with SG-1 on this episode and able to share personal moments with the team for a time span of fifty years through life, love, holiday time and death, and then amazingly right back where they started, the way only the SG-1 team could do it-their way. I look so forward to the upcoming movies. GODSPEED!

All My Love and Thanks to the Cast, Writer's, Producer's, and Director's who gave of theirselves for the last 10 years to this outstanding show.
  • Certainly an interesting and unexpected episode for a series finale. Emotional, personal, and outstanding.

Unending is not the finale you might expect. You might expect a massive ***-kicking action finale with tons of space battles and explosions. We do get a pretty cool space battle and an awesome explosion. But that's not what this episode revolves around. This episode revolves around the characters. It revolves around what truly matters. And when we get right down to it, it's not the explosions or the spaceships or the battles that truly matter. It's the people. And that's what this episode perfectly shows.

I'll start with the superficial stuff. We certainly get the ending of an era in this episode with the death of the Asgard, an interesting move in the finale. The Asgard pass on all of their technology to the Odyssey. As a result of this, we do get some amazing special effects with the Odyssey attacking and destroying an Ori mothership along with the destruction of the Asgard homeworld.

Now to the stuff that matters. After SG-1 is captured in the time dilation field, we're treated to a montage of SG-1 carrying on their normal life aboard the Odyssey, including a Christmas celebration. This scene also nicely conveys the feelings of the characters, particularly with Mitchell. While the music is still playing, we see Mitchell destroying his room in frustration as he is sick and tired of being stuck on the Odyssey.

Another great scene is 20 years into SG-1's fifty year stay. Carter is playing the cello and the cello continues to play throughout the scene. We are again shown a montage scene that is excellent. It shows the aging of SG-1 along with the death of General Landry, a surprisingly touching scene.

But the absolute crowning achievement in this episode, the scene that I will remember this episode by is the scene with Daniel and Vala when they kiss. When Daniel was yelling at Vala, I was literally in tears as he was yelling at her as she was trying to open up to him. That scene was amazingly acted by both Michael Shanks and Claudia Black, completed with absolutely heartwrenching background music. To me, any episode that really evokes and sort of strong emotional reaction is a great one. And this one certainly did that.

And that's what this episode is truly, TRULY about. It's about the people, the emotion, the feelings behind them. That's why it's wonderful. Granted, there is absolutely no major-storyline closure concerning the Ori. But that storyline will be concluded with The Ark of Truth. The producers of SG-1 didn't want to end their show with a stereotypical "go-out-with-a-bang" finale. They went out with what mattered to the show. The characters. And that's why this episode, when you think about it, makes for a perfect series finale.

Pay attention to what really matters, because, you know.......

Life is too short.
  • If in doubt do another time travel paradox nobody remembers, Teal'c is now as human as every one else garbage of a finale episode called "UNENDING"

7.3
    I agree with alot of you that it was a clever episode but not worthy of an ending of a 10 year long epic grand scale space battle having dramatic soap opera. I would of prefered if they saved this ep. for the premiere of the movie and not fricken try to sell the box set until the new season of Atlantis started up.
    Now we have to wait until yes like tv.com states the end of next season of SG-1 SEASON 11 when we get to see Baa' l put on trial and the final battle of the Ori vs. Earth movie/2 part real series finale. They honestly should just get one more season and wrap w/ these already produced tv movies, and then inevitably when Atlantis wraps up in a few years Sam and her new Atlantis team will meet up w/ SG-1's new and old members and have one true final strieght to theatres movie where The Ori, Guald, Jaffa, Earth, Replicators, Zombie Asgaurd, Wraith, Heaven and Hell and whatever other threats theyve accumulated over the years wrastle it out in a final battle royal, while having O ' neall come out of nowhere cracking some much needed zarcastic jokes! For my final review of this great sci- fi show I will always remember is THEY didnt need to kill THE ASGAURD!!!
  • I wanted this to be very good

6.3
    I rushed home to see this because I loved this shoe alot, but this was disappointing. The movies better be good, I was looking for a battle something to leave me in the balance, something for me to go oh man but it it did not. However what I did like was Vala and Daniel finally getting together that was a very good fit. Now it is up to Atlantis to keep me going.
  • Stays true to the proven SG-1 formula: character, emotion, team interaction, and adventure.

I was expecting the final episode of SG-1 to be more action than plot, but I'm happy to say that I was wrong. Fans expecting plot resolution will be disappointed as this episode feels more like a mid-season story (until the ending scene). However, this episode stays true to the proven SG-1 formula: character, emotion, team interaction, and adventure. These essential ingredients define the series, and it is fitting that they form the core of the series finale. The episode contains very powerful and moving scenes, especially when SG-1 enters the gate for the final time.

Thankfully, the end is not yet here. There will be at least two SG-1 DVD movies, beginning this fall. They will serve as the eagerly anticipated story-line resolution. Hopefully, SG-1 will still be around for a long time. In the prophetic words of Teal'c, "Good things come to those who wait..."

Keep the Gate!
  • Personally I would want a huge battle, but...

Personally I would have wanted a huge battle, but still this was good. It had some humor, it had explosions, it had romance, it was good overall in my opinion. I liked the older look and Vala's line, "I'm going to go insane and I'm taking you with me", or something like that. It was good, and quite an intresting way to end the series, not my favorite I'll admit to that atleast. But still really good, and a great way to end a fatastic series.
  • The series ends with the Asgard giving their technology and knowledge to the SG-1 team.

This was an OK episode on it's own, but no way to end the series. It had no real wrap up of either the current season, or the series as a whole.

To me, if you watch a series finale, you should know that it is the end. This episode could have passed as any average filler episode...if no one told you it was the finale, you might tune in next week expecting to see a new episode.
  • To use the cliche- it's the end of an era.

I had heard mixed reviews about the episode since it air just about everywhere first, then the US. It starts off with Landry and SG1 on the Odyssey where they meet Thor and other Asgard. I thought it was a pretty weak way to get new tech on the ship, but it worked since it's been well established that the Asgard were dying out. I have to admit, some of the moments in the time dilation field were good... I could've done with something different. That plot point just didn't really work with me. Plus, they didn't play out well enough at the end.

For a series finale, I thought it would be...more. The end was a bit of a downer. I do realize there are two movies on the way since there are still loose ends though.
  • The final episode of one of the longest running sci-fi shows in history.

Why can science fiction writers never come up with satisfactory endings to shows these days. This was an awful way to wrap up Stargate SG-1, regardless of their planning to release a couple of movies in the future.

The previous episode in which Valla's daughter died and was forced to Ascend left a perfect opening for the writers to wrap up the whole Auri storyline.

Having finally become an Ascended being herself, Valla's daughter would have finally learned the truth about the other Auri if they still existed, or would have had total control of their power if they had been destroyed by Merlin's weapon.

She had the power to strip the Priors of their own powers and call off the war, if she was indeed the last Auri, or she could have told her followers the truth if she witnessed the Auri practicing their lies to their followers. Either way, the war would have ended.

Instead, the Asgard, a benevolent race whom we have come to know and respect, suffered a horrible and meaningless end. I had hoped that with the knowledge of the Asgard at their disposal, SG-1 could at least have saved the Asgard race. It would have made for a much more interesting and significant ending to the series.

This was one of the worst series finales I have ever seen, right up there with the finale of Star Trek Enterprise when they ended the show with the pointless death of Cmdr. Trip Tucker.

Stargate SG-1 left the air with loose end, after loose end, and even worse, the extinction of the Asgard people. What was the point?
  • Trapped on board the Odyssey, the members of SG-1 must live out the rest of their lives together when Carter activates a time dilation field to save the ship from destruction.

1.1
    Well it was a hell of a ride for my most favorite scifi show, I live in Ontario canada and the last episode was on Thursday, June, 21,2007 on Space at 10:00pm. Well this was the end of the Sg-1 series and wow, they f@#k the series and the fans up the A$$. They had a cool start to the last show then left us at a climax to just wounder what happens to the team and there current enemy the Ori. Do the defeat the ori and in what means they have accomplished this victory. If the show was going to end they just should of left the last episode: "Threads" where they just defeated the Replicators and the Goa'ulds instead of they crappy ending to a great series. The series creators promised a great ending to a great series but they justed F@#ked up the series and they series and fans. The last thing I have to say is they better make a movie to finish the series the proper way instead of this crappy episode.
  • The Asgard give Earth their technology just before their race ends. SG1 is attacked by Ori mother ships, escapes into a time bubble where they live out 50 years alone trying to solve things, they succeed and everything is back normal - business as usual.

I have to say I'm torn - it was an "nice" episode, but mostly it was a filler - not a series ending. I mean, what was resolved? Well, the Asgard are no more, Earth has all the technology and knowledge of the Asgard, we know that Vala and Daniel have a real attraction under all their fighting and whatnot and all of that is interesting but the bottom line is, the Ori ships are still out there, they are still a threat that is greater than anything faced before, maybe the Ori themselves are dead and matbe they aren't, Adria might be a problem in the future since we know she ascended so it may be that she is a new Ori making at least one even if the rest were killed. None of these issues where addressed in any way. Instead, the escape the two Ori ships attacking them and return to Earth where they take up "bussiness as usual" as if the whole Ori [at least the Priors] threat didn't exist. The final episode ends with nothing really resolved, so as an episode, it was interesting, but as a FINAL episode - you're kidding, right? I mean, someone must have made a mistake and aired the wrong episode - that must be it - for those who aren't following my sarcasm, in my oppinion, that was NOT a series finally because it doesn't end ANYTHING. No loose ends tied up, no resolution to anything at all. So yes, if it had been in the middle of the season I would have liked it and would have rated it higher, but as the last episode I thought it fell flat on it's face. The only thing that would have been worse would be if it ended with Daniel waking up and us discovering that the whole series had been a strange dream he was having. I feel cheated. I have been a loyal fan through the entire series and this is the best they could do for an ending. I almost wish they had never brought the Ori into it - we could have ended the series with the demise of Ba'al and it would have left a tidy conclusion and they could then have SG1 head out through the Stargate just as this episode ended with the suggestion that life carries on and who knows what will be found next.
  • Truly the end of an era....

This episode was absolutely fantastic. It was an incredible way to end it; very classy, very fitting. This episode was truly the end of an era, and it truly explained why it is that stargate sg-1 has been the longest running television series of all time. After a fantastic 10 seasons, this episode truly let sg-1 end on a great note. SciFi channel was very foolish to drop a show as high quality as this, and this episode proved it. In the first fifteen minutes, when the asgard impart the legacy of their entire race to humanity and destroy their own planet, taking every last asgard, including the surprisingly loveable Thor with it. After all that the asgard, and specifically sg-1's friend Thor, have done for humanity over the course of the show, they simply destroy themselves in a flash of light. Whether or not this moment was meant to be an ironic allusion to the end of stargate's fantastic television run, I certainly found it fitting indeed that sg-1 began their final episode with the death of the mighty asgard, the great allies of humanity. The death of the asgard sets the tone for the entire episode....this episode pulled no punches and left me a little stunned and truly moved. I congratulate the cast and crew of sg-1 for their fantastic 10 season run and for the quality of this episode...I simply cannot believe that a show this good could be dropped.
  • Alot of people hated it, alot liked it

i personally loved it, to a point, it wasn't the best episode, but it was somewhat of a tear jerker, and emotional. I just wish they would have made it longer than a regular Hour long episode. But they did manage the Throw a little CCR (credence Clearwater Revival) in there, that to me gave this episode that extra bang
  • The end of an era...

i can't believe that its all over. Ten years of SG1 and now its all gone! The show did go out on a good episode thought, althought prehaps not the best for such a long running classic like Stargate. I felt that the ending was nice, the charactors were united once again going through the gate. I know now that the series will continue with two movies which hopefully should finish up some of the long running questions. Like the Ori story. I was really sad to learn the the Asguard are dying but finally we found out that earth is the 5th Race! I was a one point convinced that they would never find a way out of the time field. Vala and Daniel finally hit it off. But all of this was erased because the they reversed time for everyone except Tel'c who remembers the fifty years in the time field. I thought that considering this as the last episode we could have learned more and got more closure. Its really sad now that its gone but we should look back and see that they were an amazing 10 years full of suspence and great stories which i will remember forever. This will forever remain a classic in my mind and i am awaiting the movies... SG1 forever!
  • this is an example of exactly why SciFi channel made a large mistake by not keeping this show on the air.

Even in this the 11th hour they still remain a very good series capable of producing not only high quality compelling stories, but doing so in such a way that does not cause alot of the plot holes that had plagued the series early on. after saying this i wish to state that this is my 2nd favorate episode and this comes from someone who has watched every single episode. it show a very compelling sorry that we had all hoped would happen before the end of the series, the end of the asguards. i personally felt it was a very nice send off, and honestly it made perfect sence from start to finish. and personally i wish to know why this episode was not broudcasted at the sametime as it was in the rest of the world. it is a shame when a company i showed such loyalty to as the SciFi channel could drop the ball so horably. in either case, i feel that once i watched this episode that it is awsome, and i would recomend watching it as soon as it comes out in the U.S..
  • not the finale i expected. a lot of issues about the ep :/

lots of issues.

1. asgard destruction. a) for a civilization as advanced, even with the inevitable fate they created themselves, (and introducing a plague? wtf i think its just the writers way to give a reason for what they were doing to the asgards) i dont think they would give up and kill themselves on a civilization level. i think thor and the others would have worked until they were overcome by their disease and not just give up like that. b) where was o'neill? he was the first to contact/communicate with the asgard (fifth race) he was probably best friends with thor. if it was the end of the asgard civilization, i'd think that thor would want to see his friend again, with an invitation by the asgard, even if they didnt know what the reason was, o'neill probably wouldve come because it was thor that asked for them.

c) ok, so asgard couldnt solve the degeneracy problem with the cloning, even with their analysis of the ancient knowledge data base, why didnt ask o'neill to do something like he did with finding a way to build that bug zapper? if his (sub?)conscious mind can find a way to use the ancients' knowledge and find a way to build the weapon, why couldnt he stick his head into one and find a solution for the asgard's problem? it is fairly important, and he'd be helping thor.

d) after the asgard gave them all their knowledge. then the ori came. #1 was the ori in the asgard galaxy as well? they never mentioned it in any other episodes. #2 if they werent, how did they get there? did ori have similar technology as asgard inter-galactic hyperdrives or as the ones on the detalis(sp) class earth ships? #3 if ori's did have the capability for that kind of speed, why did they need a supergate. come to think of it, if the ori gave all their weapons and shields technology to their followers to build the ships why didnt they give them the engine tech too?

e) after asgard beamed off the earth ship... why did they destory their planet so fast? obviously the new weapons they installed were effective against ori, so where was the asgard fleet of ships helping the earth ship at least in orbit? in the episode where carter when to the asgard homeworld to help with a replicator invasion (the one with "the o'neill" class of asgard ships) they had fleets of ships around the planet orbit. so where were they?

series writers obviously didnt think much when they killed off the asgard with so little forethought.

the rest of the episode was ok... although at the end after they disconnected the asgard upgrade, i guess they can keep it, but wouldnt it be better to go to the Nox world and give them, at least a copy of the asgard knowledge data base? i mean they were allies, and wouldnt they be a better keeper of the asgard legacy? i know i know, we're the fifth race as thor said, but to save guard their knowledge, i'd at least think they would contact the nox and give them a copy. my two cents.
1 2 3 4