Stargate SG-1

Unending

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jun 22, 2007 on Syfy

• A series finale that's not really a finale

And so it ends, the unlikely and impressive ten-year run of “Stargate SG-1”. Considering the fact that the series had been declared over after nearly every season since it’s initial Showtime cancellation after the fifth season, it’s hard to reconcile the fact that this series finale is relatively self-contained. No doubt some fans will wonder why the series didn’t wrap up the major plot threads before the end of the series.

The answer, of course, is that the series is not really over in the traditional sense. The series is spinning off into at least two direct-to-DVD films, one of which will be the resolution of the Ori plot arc. In fact, that film (“The Ark of Truth”) will cover much of the ground originally intended for this season’s finale; plans were changed when the cancellation order and film offer came down. Knowing that they could just delay the resolution to the films, the producers felt no need to manufacture a final episode with true closure.

On the one hand, this could be seen as slight to the fans, who may now be required to buy (or rent) a separate DVD just to see how the story ends. Since the decision to delay resolution was made by the producers, it could be interpreted as a marketing ploy. It’s a fair criticism, because not every fan out there is going to understand or know what the films represent. They’ll just see the series finale as a frustrating cop-out.

On the other hand, any series with such a long history (and a distinct lack of planning) will struggle with a truly satisfying and all-encompassing finale. There’s always one more element that “should have been there”. Looming large over this finale is the memory of Jack O’Neill and the almost-perfect eighth season finale “Moebius”; a number of fans still consider that to be the true ending of the series. So this finale was never going to be universally satisfying with the weight of so much expectation.

The result was an episode that could have run at any time, with very little in the way of closure. Perhaps that was for the best. Some might say that the episode provided emotional closure, but with the reset button firmly in place by the end, it’s elusive at best. If there’s a sense of anything in this series finale, it’s that the team carries on like they always have. There really is no end. The mission continues. It’s the kind of non-ending that only works because we know, as fans, that there’s more on the way. Who needs closure when the story isn’t over?

Once has to wonder, though, if the character development (such as it is) will now disappear. Character has always been somewhat expendable in the “Stargate” franchise, with a simple set of quirks in place of true progression and growth. The films will be more about plot than delving into character depths. So we’re unlikely to get insight into Mitchell, for instance, which quite a shame, as it will feed into the impression that he was an unnecessary addition.

The relationship between Daniel and Vala gets a tentative payoff, which was a nice touch. The two of them have been dancing around each other for a while, and this was a capable enough way to show that they could ultimately find a life together, The reset button keeps that from getting in the way in the future, of course, so the satisfaction is tenuous. (One might also find fault in Daniel’s harshness with Vala, which was not redeemed by his recognition of how badly he hurt her.)

All in all, this just didn’t feel like a real series finale, because the elements that would have been present were shifted to the films and some of the characters (Carter, at least) will move to “Stargate: Atlantis” or the proposed new series. This just didn’t feel like the end of a ten-year saga; it was just another episode. And while that made sense from a certain perspective, I couldn’t help but feel that it send off the series with a bit of a whimper.
  • Character driven and perfect!

I loved this episode. I'm very much a 'characters' person, so to end this excellent show with a character focused episode was a good move in my opinion. The scene between Michael Shanks and Claudia Black was one of the best I have ever seen and I've lost count of the times I have watched it back.

So, it was a big explosive end, but they had the TV films in mind and you know what, it wouldn't have lasted 10 years if we hadn't fallen in love with the characters and seen the grow over time.

I think it's perfect ending.
  • The Asgard summon the SG Team to their home world for reasons unknown. What the Asgard reveal to the team is that they(Asgard) are on the brink of extinction. They offer all their knowledge and technology to the Team as they feel that earth is worthy.

This episode was the best I'd seen in a long time. A lot of action, character revelations and good story line. A fine last episode in a very good series. A few spoilers here: After the Asgard give the team all their stuff, the Asgard world explodes. (One thing that bugs me though is when a planet explodes in space, there is no noise due to vacuum. It should just brighten up and annihilate without any sound. However I guess it just makes for a good effect.)Anyway the Odyssey now has enhanced weapons, shields and other neat stuff but there is a flaw with some of the systems. It seems the Ori can detect the signature of the new systems on the Odyssey and track them where ever they are. This poses a problem due to the fact that where the Odyssey warps to, the Ori are there. A few battles ensue with some Ori ships taken out with the new Asgard weapons,however something happens to the Odyssey where it is caught in a time dilation field just .03 or so seconds before an Ori beam is about to hit and take out the Odyssey. Carter states she can fix the problem in a few days which turn into 20 or 30 years. Suffice to say Carter does come up with a plan(Shes now in her 60's) and they get out of the problem at hand. All and all without writing the whole story line, this was one of the best. It was cool to see the team age, except Teal'c not showing any signs of age other than some gray hair,no doubt due to his alien nature. An excellent last episode. I'm sorry to see it end. But, to quote a line that Teal'c stated at the end,"All good things must come to an end." Enough said. Don Z
  • This episode had it all and was the perfect way of going out. However, I understand the difficulties some people have with the episode, as it's very polarizing.

The cold open had so much and although some people are disappointed with the destruction of the Asgard in the first few minutes, it should not have come as a major surprise to dedicated fans, as they know the Asgard have always been searching for a way to save their race from extinction. They left all of their technology and history with the Earthlings, which would be an interesting way to enliven the series and it's disappointing we couldn't see more of the effects of this technology.

So the Ori arrive, seemingly because of a distinct energy signature given off by the Asgard core in the Odyssey. Then, rather than fight the Ori in a weakened state and risk having their technology compromised, the Asgard instigate their mass suicide plan. They couldn't have known this move might leave the Odyssey stranded without help, as they couldn't know the Ori would be able to track them through hyperspace due to what I assume must be some unique energy signature given off by the combination of the Asgard and Earth technologies.

The cat and mouse game through space was tense right up until the final moments when SG-1 looked like it would go but with a bang and kill off everyone. Yet it wasn't to be, as Sam started a time-dilation field so she could have more time to find a solution. So the team is stuck, waiting for Sam to help them out. Some fun parts to note here include the conversation between Teal'c and Vala in the supplies room and Mitchell's improving against Teal'c.

Then, after 3 months of waiting, Daniel and Vala finally get together after a scene that describes the way Daniel has felt all along. Vala's flirting with him has always been her way of messing with his head and he's given up on their ever getting together. Then when he realises that Vala is serious, they kiss and we presume go slightly further.

Now we come to the best part of the whole episode. Credence Clearwater Revival's 'Have you ever seen the rain?' starts playing and we see SG-1 and of course, General Landry begin to accept their lives on the ship and they seem to enjoy themselves for a time, laughing and generally being merry with their Christmas. Yet as much as they enjoy each other's company, each has their own personal struggle trying to find a way to occupy themselves or get off the ship except Teal'c, who doesn't really seem too bothered by the fact. The standout scenes is Vala's weeping in Daniel's arms and Mitchell's rage in destroying his room. Both of these set in contrast to the music is some of the most powerful imagery seen in this show up until now.

Then, we jump forward about 20 years and see Sam finally give up but have General Landry tell her to keep trying. Then in a few minutes, we jump another 30 years and next to nothing has changed. This is where the writer and I finally part ways. I personally would have taken it 20 years at most, rather than leave massive gaps where nothing has happened of any note. Overall, 50 years pass and all there is to show for it is Daniel and Vala together (without kids) and General Landry dead. I would have left more time for the group to deal with Landry's death and have it spur them into finally solving the problem, rather than jump another 30 years.

Either way, Sam finally figures out how to reverse time but in a piece of irony they 'hung a lantern on', they no longer have enough power. Firstly, perhaps they should have tried to make a new ZPM with that magic Asgard matter converter. Luckily there's no need as Mitchell has a solution only he (or Jack in his day) could come up with. So they let Teal'c keep his added years and they reverse time. They all died for a few milliseconds and then the core was charged by the beam and kicked the time dilation field into reverse.

So they manage to get back a few moments before they started the field and get into hyperspace rather than start the time dilation. So as is the way with Science Fiction, (almost) everything is back to normal. So the last few moments were nothing special, a group 'Indeed' to cap it all off and then one last step through the Stargate. This series final had everything we love about Stargate whether it solved all your problems or not. It's just like 'Moebius', ie. after some story progression or ending, we get to just see SG-1 being SG-1 in some new situation which is undeniably what the series has always been about.

I'm sure if there wasn't going to be another movie or episode that this would have been something like 'Threads' or 'Reckoning', but there will be more movies produced and we'll see all our team members again later this year or next. So don't despair that you didn't get all your questions answered as I'm sure they will be eventually. Except maybe the one about the Furlings.

I hope you've enjoyed my review and if you disagree or want to discuss the episode with me, feel free to message me and I'll reply as soon as I can.
  • The truth is this episode came to me like a shock. So emotional...

I just couldn`t believe that this was the last episode of SG-1. And the ending, oh my God, the ending... I hate it and I love it at the same time. Although I probably would of preferred that, for a change, they wouldn`t resolve the situation or they didn`t show us how they did it. As a whole, this episode was very well put together, great music perfectly fitted to the emotional state of the viewer. I, personally, would have preferred the last episode to be something like the 200th ep - funnier. The truth is this episode came to me like a shock. So emotional...
  • One of my favorite series finales - Unending indeed.

Ok first of all there is no reason to complain that this ep didn't wrap up the series - it was never meant to - since the follow-up movies Ark of Truth and Continuum had already been planned. What this ep did do was give us some great sci-fi - and a really cool look into a possible future for the characters - and a real future for Tealc. We got to see them age and handle yet one more impossible situation. I also like that after 10 years they didn't just try and end on a final Ori story - the show was much more than just that - and this character driven, high on action, special effects, and time travel story was an absolutely perfect send-off to a great show that even after 10 years felt fresh again and was cancelled far before its time. I would have loved to have a seen a few more seasons of the Ben Browder/Claudia Black Stargate but at least we got the 2 follow-up movies - both of which were excellent as well. Ignore the haters - this ep is a fine send off by one of my favorite Stargate writers - the great Robert C. Cooper. I'm giving it a 10/10 for action, emotional impact, and all around total awesomeness.
  • Truly the end of an era....

This episode was absolutely fantastic. It was an incredible way to end it; very classy, very fitting. This episode was truly the end of an era, and it truly explained why it is that stargate sg-1 has been the longest running television series of all time. After a fantastic 10 seasons, this episode truly let sg-1 end on a great note. SciFi channel was very foolish to drop a show as high quality as this, and this episode proved it. In the first fifteen minutes, when the asgard impart the legacy of their entire race to humanity and destroy their own planet, taking every last asgard, including the surprisingly loveable Thor with it. After all that the asgard, and specifically sg-1's friend Thor, have done for humanity over the course of the show, they simply destroy themselves in a flash of light. Whether or not this moment was meant to be an ironic allusion to the end of stargate's fantastic television run, I certainly found it fitting indeed that sg-1 began their final episode with the death of the mighty asgard, the great allies of humanity. The death of the asgard sets the tone for the entire episode....this episode pulled no punches and left me a little stunned and truly moved. I congratulate the cast and crew of sg-1 for their fantastic 10 season run and for the quality of this episode...I simply cannot believe that a show this good could be dropped.
  • so ended one of the best sci fi programs of the past few years as good as franchise as star trek it was that good long live stargate.

so we have reached the end of the line series wise. a sad time for one and all sg1 fans. cannot wait for dvds. nice to see the asgard back, even though it was short lived as it turned out. i have to say at this point that the destruction of the asgard race was a touch drastic, they were a great part of the show. still the team and earth did benifit. as they gave them all the bells and whistles when it came to gifts, not just technology, but there whole history of knowledge. but it turned out to a bit of a double edged sword. great that they could destroy ori ships, but lead to them being tracked as they went. great idea to use the time diletion device, and to take the charcters stories on into the future. have to admit there was no surprise to see daniel and vala get together, there was always something there. mitchell the ever impatincent soldier wanting to do something, but being kept like the caged tiger, general landry showen to be a bit of a gardener, then popping his clogs, sad in its own right, but we need not have worried, dispite 50yrs passing sam with help from mitchel came to the rescue, as they came up with a plan to reverse time, so going back to the start. it did however involve teal'c sacrificing a few years, but who better, as he lives for god knows how long. so here we are back in the gate room walter dailling the gate, landry wishing god speed, and the team stepping up the ramp and through the gate. and why not thats what the series was all about. i suppose the only thing missing was an apperance by RDA, hopefully in one of the films maybe
  • The title says it all "Unending" That's how this episode felt to me.

When I watched this episode I didn't even know it was the final episode. It felt like a great series classic more than a final episode of all time. The writers gave us what we wanted without giving us what we wanted. The family bond was made evident in this episode. They showed us the true meaning behind SG-1 and why we love them so much. I am sad to see the show go. It is and always will be one of my favorite tv shows. I feel like a great part of my life has come to a conclusion. I was always so exicited to watch SG1 and see what they had in store for us every friday night. All great things must come to a end. I just wish we could have had a little more....
  • So sad to see the Asgard die off

So sad to see the Asgard die off.
  • Just hit the reset button..

So after 10 years and 212 episodes they decide to end the show with them growing older on the ship and of course changing time only to have Teal'c stay old. I mean why him? Why not Vala? I mean the least she could've done for them was to stay old as I really never liked her character much.

And man, of all the races, why the Asgard? I mean if they were going to 'off' a race why not the unknown Furlings? Make it ironic that of all the episodes we finally see them only that they have to blow the planet up before the Ori destroys them or something. I love the Asgard, they were the only ones that actually did anything for the team and earth, not to mention share most of their technologies. The Nox, not like I cared much about them, but heck, I doubt anyone would care if they were all wiped out. Oh wow they can cloak and heal, but would they at least share some sort of technology or at least try to show they would help the humans over the Gouald. What's up with the whole pacifist thing? What good was their fancy floating city if they weren't going to use them to fight along with even their supposed ally in the Asgard?
    The acended Ancients are another story...
  • Alot of people hated it, alot liked it

i personally loved it, to a point, it wasn't the best episode, but it was somewhat of a tear jerker, and emotional. I just wish they would have made it longer than a regular Hour long episode. But they did manage the Throw a little CCR (credence Clearwater Revival) in there, that to me gave this episode that extra bang
  • A very sad day for Sci Fi Fans the world over.

The episode is not what I expected but what expectations can made about the last episode of such a great show. Personally I give the ending a full 10, It will leave you Thinking YES!!, Make you worried over the future of the fight with the Ori, and of course the inevitable lump in the throat and possible tear (s) in your eye at the ending of an Era in Sci Fi Television. The acting was great, you could almost feel the frustration of the team. If I had a drink I would raise a salute to the entire cast, crew, writers and everyone involved in this production with a thank you for many hours of entertainment that stirred the imagination and emotions. Of course a evil glare at those that decided to cancel the show although thank you for taking it to the movie stages.

Congrats to Amanda for joining the Atlantis Team, Hopefully Daniel follows suite.
  • A great ending

The Stargate-cast/team has done it again. A wonderful episode containing all that is good with Stargate. One of the other reviewers wrote that it has been 10 wonderful years of Stargate, a memory that is older than his house, and I think he/she made a beautiful point. Stargate SG-1 has earned it's place among the stars. I wish all of them a wonderful life, and thank you for a decade of excitment.

I can't even remember 1996, but I do remember Children of Gods.

Sam/Amanda, we will be seeing you shortly in Atlantis, but for the rest of you, you will always be in our hearts (including/specially Amanda Tapping, since I have a crush on you :$).

Take care.

Back to the episode. Since this episode hasn't been broadcasted in US yet, I feel that I'm not going to spoil this one. All I can say is that this is a beautiful combination of science, love, basic human emotions, hopelessness, time, sacrifises, and all potential action you may imagine that can come out of this episode.

Soon, two DVD-movies are going to be made. One of them contains Ori, the other Baal. The Ori-movie is going to be great. Please, I encourage everyone to support SG-1 to make future movies possible. We live in a world where money rules. Then show Sony where our money should go.

To all SG-1 fans. Hang in there, good things are still coming. Hopefully Stargate makes it as good as Star Trek, with multiple spin-offs and long living stories. Mankind has only began to touch the stars.

/Inmul

Dedicated to Richard, Amanda, Michael, Christopher, Ben, Claudia, and all of the stars/crew.
  • Fitting end to the legacy.

This is it, the end of Stargate SG-1, the longest running Sci-Fi show in American history. Unending had a better feeling of ending than the other potential SG-1 series finales (Revelations, Full Circle, Lost City, and Moebius). The visual effects were awesome.

Without Jack, the finale sucked a little more because this episode marked the death of Thor and the rest of the Asgard, they were good friends of Jack, and I wanted to see how Jack took Thor’s death.

I can’t wait until “Arc of Truth,” the first Stargate SG-1 direct-to-DVD movie. The final scene was cool, SG-1 walking up the ramp to the gate, just like they’re known for best.
  • The episode started great! Carter started the time dilation device, I thought "Wow this could get interesting", that was after 20 min. But then it went down hill until 10 min before the end. Not the best ever episode. But still open for a come back!

The episode started great! When Carter started the time dilation device, I thought, "Wow, this could get interesting", that was after 20 minutes. But then it went down hill until 10 minutes before the end. I am glad that they did not end the show with them dying as there would be no chance of a come back. But I would not class this as the best ever episode.

It would also have been good to have some old characters in there, like O'Neill and Hammond.

I still can't believe they have stop making Stargate SG1. It was such a successful show and loved by so many!

At least we still have Atlantis.
  • SG-1 freeze time to save themselves from the Ori.

I would've used the phrase "series finale" but I couldn't. I know this show isn't over, not in a long shot. However, I have mixed feelings about it. Of course, the first being...no O'NEILL!!! Since he was last seen in "The Shroud" I think THAT episode should've been a series finale. That episode works well in light of this one.

However, this episode can stand up with the SG-1 classics of the past and I enjoyed it. It provided closure on some issues. I just wish the dreaded overused in sci-fi (especially Star Trek!) reset button wasn't used. Even if Teal'c remembers everything, I don't think it fair to use the reset button.

But the show ended on the best of all possibilities and I loved that. The stargate, as Cam put it, is the ONLY way one should travel the galaxy. I was glad they didn't forget that very essential part of it.

So, overall...much better than sopranos. Acting--tops as usual.
    Music--loved the use of CCR and that sad cello piece by Carter
    Visual--always the best

I give it a 9.5.

Waiting for the movies now!
  • Two errors and one missed opportunity. Spoilers

I seem to recall an episode where the Asgard tracked a Replicator ship in hyper space so why be surprised that the Ori could track you.

They missed a great opportunity for Daniel and Vala to have kids. I'm thinking twins (one boy and one girl). They could have taken Teal'c place.

Then they end the episode with Teal'c not telling them what happened because it would cause a paradox. Sorry but they lived for 50 years while the rest of the Universe lived for 10 seconds. No paradox.

Can't wait for Carter to go to Atlantis. Not to mention Sanctuary
  • 10 years and now comes the end...

What can I say.. It was not the ending I was expecting as it was not doing with anything of major storylines but it was as standalone quite unique story and the idea itself to end serie like this as it was sure they cannot make it the time they had, why not. So, the Ori storyline was left for the film and the serie was ended with little humorous, tragic and different episode.

First I thought this episode was very emotional - it could be said it was about human nature left alone in space for all those years and to see the reactions they had - how everyone dealt with the loneliness. It was somehow like torment of Tantalus - they were alive but they could not leave and the were not able to do anything than wait and try to solve their problem.

But it was good episode, dealing with human nature and I think that for the ending, they remind us what we are..
  • Could have been better..

This episode, in my opinion was not the best, as the final episode ever I expected more, thats not to say it wasn't entertaining because it certainly was. I've read a few other reviews and have to agree and disagree with what other have said. Kraken for example poked alot of holes in this episode, some of which I agree with, although there was some explanations I think he was failing to consider. First off I agree that although Teal'c aged 50 years, u can't really tell, and his solution to this problem is valid. I also agree that the Asgard, with all their advancements should have been capable of creating an artificial host for the consciousness. But I have to disagree with his thinking that the Ori ships aren't capable of inter-galactic travel, this is never stated. The Ori galaxy may simply be much further away than Ida (Asgard galaxy) or Pegasus (Atlantis galaxy), the Supergate may have simply been the fastest way of traveling to the milky way. It is stated in one episode that these galaxies are relatively close to the milky way by galactic standards. The Ori intended to convert the entire galaxy, I hardly think they were willing to wait weeks/months or even years (depending on how far away the Ori galaxy actually is) to get there by hyperspace. Lets remember the Ori are ascended beings and are just as advanced as the Ancients and I am sure they were capable of teaching there followers to construct inter-galactic hyper drive engines. All in all this episode was disappointing but I think The Ark of Truth makes up for it and Continuum will follow suit.
  • let me down...

Unending was the series finale of 10 amazing seasons and it really wasn't very good. It almost seemed like an episode out of Star Trek or something. The SG-1 team and general were given amazing technology from the asgards and are persued by the ori and eventually caught in a space-time thing. They got old and stuff...it wasn't very interesting. The only great thing about this episode was the relationship stuff between Daniel and Vala. It was pretty funny and entertaining. Other than that, the episode was a let down and I was really disappointed. I wanted a big boom and a huge finale, not what happened. Oh well, it was a bad end to a great 10 seasons.
  • RIP Stargate Sg1 and we will all remember you as you were, not what you became.

So it´s over. Well, I´m sad because I used to love this show and I´m relived because it´s been over since it became politized. This last season has been painful. And to end it with a genocide, well... I been watching this show for ten years, still watching old episodes. The fact that it was both funny and exiting was a powerful combination. It was serious, but somehow it could make fun of itself. And to the cast/crew: bravo!

RIP Stargate Sg1 and we will all remember you as you were, not what you became.

Thanks for all the wonderful hours of entertainment it´s been a pleasure. I´m going to miss this serie.

Major thanks
  • Would have been pissed if there were no movies and this was a real 'final ep' because this is at best -a mid season final.

The ONLY things that actually matter in this "finale" (giving of the the tech/database and the death of the Asgard) happens in the first 6min, the rest is just filler that never, ever comes up again.

So they didn't just use the time dilation function the moment they realized that they needed a significant amount of time to bypass the core-hyperdive, because?

Oh right because then the characters would have shown actual intelligence and would not have spent decades to not only recreate the tech used in Merlin's Mantle but to figure out how to pull of a 'Superman 1' and. . .turn back. . .time. . .
  • 10 for the series. The episode itself had nothing of a conclusion but it was enjoyable.

So this was truly UNending...nothing really resolved as they leave this to the movie. Not much of a series finale but I knew it would be like that. Looked like a regular episode, actually not on the major arc: The Ori. But I would have prefer an episode like "200" to it, for the fun.
    Until time was stop (not literally), the episode was pretty boring but afterwards it became pretty interesting...specially when they grew old...I love the drama in the episode.

As for Daniel and Vala, it`s been coming since the first time they met in season 8...finally a love story that actually works on Stargate SG1. ;)
    The ending was pretty emotional...I mean 10 years...10 seasons...I had little tears dropping..could`t resist...one of my favorite show is coming to an end..sniff. The episode does not deserve a 10...but NO WAY I rate the last episode of SG1 other that 10. It would have been great to have Richard Dean Anderson(O`Neil), Hammond and why not Jonas for the last installment.
    Can`t wait for the movies..I thought the series would end with a cliffhanger...but it was a decent ending. The first movie coming out in March..should be awesome. So was this 10 years great??? INDEED!!
  • Stargate SG1 joins other amazing Sci-Fi TV Shows with a great series finale, that is on par with Next Gen's "All Good Things..."

Everyone with half a brain knew that at some point this day would come, whether it was now, or five years from now, this day had to come. The end of one of the best Sci-Fi series of the last fifty years. Was it better than Trek? Hard to say, better than most? Definitely. The series ending was not so much a special effects laden event as it was a great character study. Oh sure there were effects and techno-babble that would rival any episode of DS9 or B5, but it was secondary. What was even more impressive it didn’t seem borrowed from any other show, at least not heavily, and in the end SG1 was always about the team, not the tech. It wasn’t just called Stargate, it was specific to a single team, SG1, and in that way they remained true. Sure the team members changed from time to time, came and went, but it was always about the team.

I give the producers and writers credit for not throwing in Richard Dean Anderson on the last show, while it’s always great to see him, this episode was about the current cast, and didn’t dwell heavily on the past.

OK, so what was it about? If you’ve gotten to this point and want to stop before I spoil it for you, now would be a good time to close your browser. Otherwise, you might find out what happens. You have been warned.

Well, it turns out that the old Greys, yes I know we call them the Azgard, but seriously they are just greys, right from Whitley Strieber’s nightmares. But the Azgard decided to end their own lives before they become an abomination and degrade to much. But, they want to give one of the SGC’s starships a huge upgrade with everything they knew and can do. From weapons to defensives to, well, everything. Including a Jor-El version of the Thor to help them out in the future. This is nothing but great news. But no sooner is the new tech installed, the fracking Ori show up and start to try and stop the Odyssey from getting away with all the tech, but in this case the SGC run and kick ass, and blows the Ori out of the sky as the Azgard planet explodes. They jump to hyperspace to regroup but find out something startling, every where they jump, the Ori follow immediately to keep the fight going.

This cat and mouse continues for a while, until they figure out they can be tracked anywhere they go because of the Azgard technology either gives away their location, or the Ori are being helped from above. Either way this is not good. They beam the crew down to a planet to gate their way home while Sam comes up with an idea for putting the ship into a time dilation bubble just before they get destroyed. As the Ori fire, they can see the beam only a few kilometers away from the Odyssey as it stops in it’s tracks. Now all they have to do is figure out, how not to get destroyed, how to save the Azgard technology, and how get the Odyssey home in one piece.

This is where the episode changes dramatically, it no longer becomes about tech, and becomes about SG1 coming up with a plan and how long it takes. Well, it takes a while, a very, very long while. About fifty years to be exact, during that time we see them grow old gradually, and develop relationships, new skills and become the best of friends, sort of a parallel to what no doubt when on during the filming of the series. I don’t want to ruin everything that happens, but it is by far the best part of the episode and is what elevates it to greatness.

After all this time, Sam finally comes up with a way to reverse the time dilation field and save the ship, but the down side is they no longer have the energy needed to pull off the plan. So, they decide to use the impact of the Ori energy weapon that is about to destroy the ship, to save it. Channel all it’s energy into the ship, separate the Azgard tech from the Odyssey’s systems and fly off. But there’s a catch, for this to work, one of them will have to stay old. One of them will have to hold onto a crystal, be protected from the reverse time and save everyone in the end. I won’t tell you who that is, and much to my surprise the producers did NOT hit the big reset button to fix everything. This episode actually has consequences. In the end, they are saved, and live to fight another day, even though some things have changed. They have no memory of what happened for the last fifty years but they are still SG1, more or less.

As series ending episodes go, this was a great one. It’s right on par with Next Gen’s, “All Good Things…” and that’s no small feat. They did in an hour what could have easily gone on for a mini-series, and yet showed the characters change and grow, become close and fade away, without having to push a bunch of tried and stale emotional buttons to do this. I’ve watched this show from the beginning, when it was on Showtime full of frontal nudity, to it’s move to Sci-Fi and well, less frontal nudity. From the loss of Richard Dean Anderson, and the coming and goings of Daniel Jackson. But through it all, it had a great set of storylines, villains, and heroes we could all fear and admire.

“Stargate SG1” will be missed, and while it’s going to directly to DVD for a couple of movies (please put these in theaters first) and Sam will join the cast of Atlantis, just as Worf did DS9. There will never be another SG1, at least not one as good as we have seen in the last ten years. So Stargate SG1, goes down as the first and best incarnation of the series, and can, like “Star Trek The Original Series” be called by just a few letters. In Trek’s case everyone knows what you mean when you just say TOS, and in Stargate’s case it can forever be know simply as SG1.

Just my 2¢,
    Kelvington
  • A great way to end an era with an epidode that shows the relationships between the characters, whilst closing some story lines and keeping others open for the up-and-coming movies. A special episode... already seen it twice and it only aired 3 hours ago!

BEWARE SPOILERS.

This episode starts with Teal'c misunderstanding a common word like we used to see in the early years, as well as Vala scamming the crew to throw a party as she is bored.

Then we see an old friend that has been absent for quite a while… Thor (With what looks like a shiny new body!!). Our old buddy Thor comes with some good and bad news. The good news is that Earth is getting all of the Asgard’s technology and knowledge; bad news is that the Asgard are about to die… Sniff! :’(

Anyway as we get Asgard upgrades the Ori attack… before we know it the new Asgard home world explodes Odyseey5 style taking out 2 Ori ships… hurrah!... but wait there is still one more Ori ship left which the new Asgard upgrades to the Earth ship Odyseey are put to the test… and boom we did it… yey.

So another happy/sad occasion… the Asgard are now all gone but we now have a way to defeat the Ori.

The Odyseey is on its’ way back to Earth when two more Ori ships attack. As the Odyseey had already taken damage from the previous encounter they jump back into hyperspace. The problem is that this keeps happening… Doh!

Turns out that the Ori can detect the power source given to us by the Asgard, and keep attacking every time the Odyseey exits hyperspace.

Due to the Ori tracking the ship a decision is made to beam all crew except SG1 and General Landry onto a nearby planet to send home via a Stargate.

Once again the Ori turn up, and the Odyseey takes on the Ori ships. After taking out one of them, the shields are then depleted. Carter then initiates a time-dilation device which means SG1 have years to come up with a plan to beat getting destroyed by the other Ori ship.

As usual, as with all of SG1’s plans, plan A, B, C and D are not possible; which leaves Carter to work on… well plan Z I think!!

As the weeks and months go by we see the characters interacting in a way we do not normally see (a bit like the episode Sunday for Atlantis).

We then see the characters going a bit out of character as the stress of their situation starts to get them. We see Mitchell going nuts from doing nothing, Vala getting bored and desperate for a bit of hanky-panky, Daniel insulting (and upsetting) Vala.

We then see the character together like a family, dinner, Christmas etc.
    The story then skips a head a couple of decades, and then another couple of decades, each time we see the characters aging (some better than others!!).

Finally Carter has a plan, which works. At the end of the show we are back where it all began… the SGC gate room with the whole team. More quips between the character which will make you laugh.

Overall it is a fantastic episode. A great way to show the friendships and relationships that have been formed. It ends the story arc of the Asgard, and keeps open the Ori story line for the movies that are coming out, especially as we now have Asgard technology and knowledge.

This is not a complete action-packed episode, but the story telling is great. Lots packed into a very short time (no pun intended!).

The only I think could have been done was to have Richard Dean Anderson in this episode… especially as this episode is about the SG1 team and the relationships and the Asgard.

10 out of 10.
  • So it begins/ends.

This is truly the only way in which you could have ended a definitive series like SG-1, lots left open for the movie's. It is a shame that they killed of all of the asguard (as they where/are the best race in the stargate universe) but other than that it really is an extremely cleverly plotted episode with lots of clever twist.
    Its very unusual to see a series that finished without rapping everything up, you would have though that they would of finished it with defeating the ori, but no whether that will happen in the movie's we will have to wait and see.
  • We'll miss you guys.

Well I can't beleive i've just sat and watched the last "EVER!!!!" episode of sg1. They could easily have gone down the special effects marathon with huge space battles and mass explosions and to some extent they did but hey lets face it they've been there and done that. What always made this show great was the human element and this had it in abundance, plenty of emotion and a touching farewell at the end. In conclusion this was a great way to wrap it all up. While i am of the opinion that sg1 has run it's course (I know i wont be popular for saying that), I will always hold a special place for it in my heart along with i'm sure millions of other fans.

We will miss you SG-1.

farewell.
  • Intresting, Something special

I belive this was a fitting end to stargate , there wasnt alot of fighting as i had hoped but nun the less it was cool seeing the odeasy Destroy some ori motherships,That episode also anserd alot of questions as i had hoped, u saw character development daniel + vala=love i guess and u saw how landray was like a father to sam i guess, and tealc and camron fighting, In this episode the tauri finale got there statous as the Fith race(Finaly) but i expected more from the asgard how they died at the end Boom i would have enjoyed seeing some asgard ships fight the ori instead the planet blew up, so i guess no asgard in atlantis, i guess the writters didnt want to drag it out,And at the end we see the team walk throught the gate together, the episode also left me wanting much more in the form of stargate, i cant wait to see the odeysy kick some royle but in the movies and posibly in atlantis. Good bye stargate the series, let me say Live Long and Prospure in the hearts and minds of all the loyal fans out there.
  • The end of to one of the best shows ever

I felt that this ending was fitting because i think it will be very difficult for them to close out all the storylines and just sorta say it is all done nothing is going to happen obviously the movies will help to do this. However i think the episode in itself was brilliant and becuase of the scope if the show it worked as a series finale. The daniel jackson, vala story worked well it was nice to see a good romance on stargate. I was disappointed that O'Neill did not make an appearance he was a such a major part of the show it was sad. all in all this episode has left me in great anticipation of the movies.
< 1 2 3 4