Stargate SG-1

Watergate

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Aug 11, 2000 on Syfy

• A good, entertaining story and some great humour. Exactly what I've come to love about this show.

I've always had a soft spot for this episode. It's easy to disregard it as a lesser episode partly for the fact it comes right after the much-loved "Window of Opportunity", but I don't. This is an episode I can watch again and again and not get bored of, despite some lulls.

So, the good points. Like I said in the summary, I think this episode has a very entertaining, well-written plot. It's a neat little idea to have the Russians find the Stargate from Thor's ship, but it's also in a way pivotal for starting off the fragile relationship between America and Russia concerning the Stargate, which is something I've come to enjoy quite a bit.

But of course one of the episode's biggest attributes is its humour. There are plenty of great gags throughout this episode, in particular between O'Neill and Markov. But it's also nice to see Daniel make a couple of wisecracks for a change. Is this the starting point of Daniel's character change into more of a smart-ass? (Which, I must admit, is a change I'll come to love).

And, I must admit, I love practically every episode featuring Maybourne. I just love his character and Tom McBeath who plays him, as well as the brilliant chemistry he has with O'Neill. It's a shame he doesn't appear until later on in the episode, but he's a joy to see onscreen either way.

The only real bad things about this episode are minor. Firstly I'm not really a fan of Marina Sirtis' performance as Markov. She certainly emotes adequately, but there's something about her accent that doesn't quite ring true (and my mother, who's Russian, commented a few times on some of her pronunciations), and, as much as I fear that it will make me sound insensitive and racist, I found her accent at times to be quite irritating.

A couple of other little thing I remember specifically about this episode that annoy me a little involve some of the effects. The vomiting effect, for instance, just seems silly and unrealistic. But in particular the final living water effect where it consumes Daniel, Carter, and Markov just seems really fake and silly to me. But one thing I should add briefly at the end here is that I really like the ending. On the audio commentary, the director said he wasn't happy about it and that there was another ending that they dropped, but I personally felt they made the right choice. I love O'Neill's last lines, and I enjoy saying them along with him whenever I watch it.

All in all, this is a personal favourite of mine from season 4. A well-written, entertaining episode in the classic SG-1 tradition, and an important starting point for the relationship with Russia that will go on to be well developed.