Stargate SG-1

Within the Serpent's Grasp (2)

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Mar 06, 1998 on Syfy

• DO OR DIE!!

SG-1 escapes through the Stargate before it is shut down, and learns that Daniel's alternate reality vision is true: Apophis is moving to attack Earth from above. The team must stop Apophis and his son, Klorel, who inhabits the body of their friend Skaara. Take everything that happens in this episode with a grain of salt. By the time this episode aired Stargate SG-1 had already been picked until the end of the fourth season. But if they had watched the original version of the scene where Teal'c describes the long-range visual communications device to the team it may have been cancelled for shameless Showtime promotion. The original aired on Showtime, and has O'Neill replying, "Think it gets Showtime?" This episode is part one of two, followed by "The Serpent's Lair"
  • The first season finale does not disappoint - SG-1 violates orders and go to the co-ordinates Daniel obtained in the alternate reality 'trip'

The first of ten great season finales. This one gets the ball rolling ... and it is a cracker.
    SG-1 violates orders not to use the stargate and, knowing full well that they will face a court martial (or however you spell it) when they get back, they use the co-ordinates Daniel obtained from the alternate reality earth (From the episode "There but for the grace of God") and enter the gate.
    And there you get the first surprise ... the gate is on board a ship, which we later find out is heading towards Earth to destroy it, and they've just entered hyper space.
    The surprises don't end there ... the Goa'uld commander of the ship is Skaara (Well, he goes by Klorel now), our friend from Abydos.
    The team splits up: Daniel and Sam plant C4 all over the ship in case plan A does not work and Jack and Teal'c go after Klorel in plan A, to try and get Skaara to stop the invasion.
    Of course they get captured; Sam sets the timer for the C4 to 24 hrs and goes to the rescue, which eventually leads to the death of Klorel (and Skaara).
    Which leaves us to the team staring back at Earth through the windshield of the ship, next to another Goa'uld ship heading towards earth, with a non-functional gate, C4 about to explode and nobody able to fly the ship.
    What happens next? ... We'll have to wait for the next season to know (lucky I have all the DVDs - it must have really sucked for the people watching it every week on TV).
  • SG-1 violates orders and goes through the gate to head the Goa'uld attack Daniel saw in the alternate reality.

This is a fantastic episode, good way to end the season. It's thrilling episodes like this that first caused me to fall in love with SG-1. And of course this episode is just loaded with Jack's trademark humor as well. This episode is also crucial in that we are introduced to some critical Goa'uld technology: Zats, the Goa'uld "teleballs"(as O'Niell refers to them) and Ha'tak class attack vessels. Although technically we've seen the Ha'tak before (Singularity, and the original movie, although that ship looked a bit different if I remember correctly), this is the first in the series that SG-1 infiltrates such a vessel and we get to see the inside of the vessel. All in all this is classic SG-1 and it's just plain fun!
  • The Goa'uld strike back.

Season finale. SG-1 defy orders and go through the gate, determined to stop Apophis from attcking Earth. They find themselves on a Goa'uld mothership and find out that the ship they are on is one of two motherships headed for Earth and that Skaara is host to Apophis's son. Carter plants C-4 in key positions on the ship and O'neill tries to get Skaara alive but when he tries to kill Daniel he is forced to shoot him. Then as SG-1 stands in the control room, the two ships approach Earth. Great episode, classic SG-1 action and a perfect cliffhangar to bring us back for season two. Series classic, one of the best episodes in season 1.
  • All alone in enemy ship...

This was great. I just cannot stand that to be continued text at the end, but that is my problem. I cannot imagine how I will wait until I see what comes out.

All the excitement and adventure. Ok, I should start from the start. The little meeting and thinking about getting of to Earth and try doing something - it was great. And their leaving and then the other team, trying to go and help them.

And they on ship - little Goa'uld weapons and then running around there - Loved that sneaking game and then seeing Skaara, now little differently named.. and all around him and the end, when O'Neil has to chose - Skaara or Daniel Jackson. Oh, it was hard decision to him and great addition to this episode.

And the end... Super..
  • good episode...

SG-1 defies orders and goes to the coordinates that Daniel gave to them after he went to the alternate reality. The gate was on a ship and now they're trapped on a ship going to earth. Skarra is in control of the mother ship, but he's now the goa'uld Klorel. The episode ends with the mother ship looking upon earth and SG-1 wondering what they can do to stop the attack. Overall, it was a good episode. I just don't like the whole SG-1 evading jaffa on a mother ship. It gets repetitive and old. I did like seeing Skarra again, as a bad guy. It's an interesting idea that the goa'uld are finally attacking earth and it has a great cliffhanger at the end.
  • Very good!

This is a very good episode. The SG-1 team defies orders and goes off world to where they think the Goa'uld attack is coming from. It happens to be a mothership and they all have to hide and figure out the best way off, or the best way to stop the attack. Skaara, who is now host to Klorel, Apophis's son, is on board. I really love this episode and how it ends. It is a really good story, even though I absolutely hate Apophis as an enemy - he seems really pathetic for a Goa'uld. Other than that, very good.
  • Great episode...

Well this was a perfect way to end the first season of stargate. Sg1 ignores General Hammonds orders and they go to the gate coordinates that Daniel got in the alternate universe. This episode also introduced one of the most usefull weapons on Stargate the Zat guns. One shot stuns two shots kills and three shots disintigrates. Sg1 didn't gate to a planet they gated onto a ship in orbit around a planet. Those ships are on there way to earth. Whiule on the ship Sg1 discovers Skaara but he is not Skaara he is Klorel, the son of Apophis. It really surprised me when O'neill said That's Bull S**t. I had to rewind the line a few times I just thought it was funny. This was indeed a great finale withy a great cliffhanger. Later...
  • Great finale

This is such a good episode all around. This marks the first of many times the team has disobeyed orders and in doing so save the world. I liked that the Goa’uld put a gate on a ship. I was glad to see Major Ferretti again but alias this is his last episode. This episode introduced many new technologies like the zats and the teleballs. The zats are cool but the three shot disintegrates is a pretty ridiculous plot device. The reveal of Skaara was great and Alexis did a wonderful job as always. Apophis was less campy in this episode and was intimidating again. The cliffhanger was amazing.
  • A simply awesome episode, very well written, and very inventive.

The Stargate is being shut down by our lovely government(actually it's really just Kinsey who wants it shut down*evil glare*), despite Daniel's warning of an imminent Goa'uld attack on Earth, which Kinsey pretty much laughs off. The SG-1 team, armed to the teeth, defy orders and make an unauthorized trip through the Stargate to what they believe to be the origin of the attack. They find themselves on a Goa'uld Pyramid Ship and discover that Skaara is aboard. Skaara was once the young Abydonian friend to O'Neill, but now is the host body to Klorel, son of Apophis. Some crazy crap happens next, Jack order Sam and Daniel to plant C-4 all around the ship and to set it on a timer so it'll blow the ship to kingdom come. But when they arrive on the bridge Klorel is using the hand dvice on Daniel and isn't stopping, so Jack is forced to kill Skaara. Then in the "window" behind SG-1 you see Saturn, and then right before their eyes you see earth! Oh no! What are they going to do next? Was another really well written episode. Here's one of my fave qoutes from this episode:

Jack: (trapped on a Goa'uld starship) I suggest the two of you figure out how get us back home.
    Sam: Sir, the only way to do that would be to turn this thing around and go back to where we started.
    Daniel: Right, I'll just go tell the pilot... To be continued.....
  • The Stargate program gets shut down. The Goa'uld warships reach Earth. The only line of the defense Earth has left is SG1.

This episode has the perfect balance of everything that makes a great SG1 episode. The SGC program gets shut-down thanks to Sen. Kinsey and the Col. Maybourne, on the eve of a Goa'uld attack against Earth. Knowing that they might be Earth's last hope, SG1 travels through the Stargate against given orders to do whatever possible. Upon reaching the other side, they discover that they are aboard a Goa'uld warship that is headed towards earth. They fight their way through the corridors, and place explosives throughout the ship. Under the impression that the journey to Earth could take months or years, SG1 is astonished when they find out that they are already there. Will the Goa'uld end humanity once and for all?

This episode is dramatic and suspenseful. It has some great action scenes, and has great acting by the entire cast. This is exactly how I envisioned the season finale to be, and I can't wait to see what happens.
  • SG-1 has to save Earth...Again, The only difference now is they don't have permission.

I'm really a fan of Skaara's, he looks so innocent, but he makes a good bad guy too. This was a fun episode to watch because SG-1 wasn't authorized to leave the SGC and they're all on their own.

I know that they're going to come out of it ok, but it was still fun to watch for the third or so time. You know an episode is good when you're willing to watch it more than once.

I didn't really care for the first part (Politics), which I've watched twice, only because I wanted to do a review on that particular episode.

But I didn't mind watching this episode where they will be saving the world again. It had great jokes as well as some more dramatic scenes.

I'm sure, in a year or so, I'll be watching this episode again.
  • A great little (or big) episode with lots of humour and action.

In many ways this episode introduces new aspects to the Stargate Universe that we've all become accustomed to. These include but are not limited to: the Zats; the peltac (both of which have become great in-jokes); the Goa'uld Motherships (both interior and exterior, although one could argue Singularity was the first to show the exterior); those telecommunication balls; and of course SG-1's defiance of orders in an attempt to save the world yet again.

The set design of the Mothership interior is spectacular, with the Ancient-Egyptian-meets-alien look spot on. There's such detail and craftsmanship put into these sets that you forgive the earlier episodes (such as Politics) for being relatively low budget, just so they could afford this one.

Another great element in this episode is the humour, mainly from Richard Dean Anderson, which not only provides added entertainment but also shows a glimpse of hope into just what the series would become.

As well as the action (which is also well-done) and the humour, there is a great little emotional element thrown in between O'Neill and Skaara. You really feel for O'Neill's predicament and mixed feelings for his once-friend.

In summary, this is another 100% must-see for any soon-to-be SG-1 fan, and I doubt anyone would disagree.
  • While season 1 has had its ups and downs, “Within the Serpent’s Grasp” sends it off with a bang.

At the end of the last episode (“Politics”), Senator Kinsey had vowed to shut the Stargate down. At the opening of “Within the Serpent’s Grasp,” we find that the team has been unsuccessful in convincing Kinsey and the President to change their minds. So, Daniel convinces Jack that they must disobey orders and go through the gate to the coordinates he got in the alternate reality (“There but for the Grace of God”). The team launches itself on a mission to save earth, but quickly discover that it will likely be a suicide mission.

I personally found “Politics” to be a bit of a disappointment. Thankfully, the season finale is not. This episode is packed with suspense, action, and even a few surprises. The sense of danger is very real, both for our team and, ultimately, for earth. And, as an added bonus, this episode brings back an old enemy, and an old friend.

The Good:

Much like “There but for the Grace of God,” this episode is a nail biter pretty much from the start. Since they haven’t convinced their leaders of the danger earth faces, the members of SG-1 must put themselves in harm’s way. This makes for a good episode. A new weapon is also introduced, one which will become a mainstay of the series. It was also very interesting to watch O’Neill figure out their exact situation only to find himself conflicted once he does (don’t want to give too much away here). The action and suspense last right up until the cliffhanger ending, which will leave you itching to see how it all ends.

The Bad:

The Goa’uld ship seems very small and very empty. While the emptiness might be attributed to the show attempting to stay true to the style of Ra’s ship from the movie, the ship itself is clearly two rooms and a corridor. Now, granted, the directors do a pretty good job of disguising this fact, but you can only watch the team move down the same hallway so many times before you get suspicious. Other than that, this is a great episode.

The Bottom Line:

• Without government support, SG-1 must stop the enemy before it's too late. They will have to take the matter into their own hands.

This story is always getting more interesting with each episode, in this one we see the return of Scaara. "Within The Serpent's Grasp" is a really cool contiuation of this three part story arch. Without the SG crew, Earth really would have no defense or warning from attacking aliens. This and the previous story arch has been very dark and this episode ends for a great set up. Can Earth be saved by the SG crew, how can they save us? These are the questions we are left with at the end that leave us waiting for the next episode. Jack has to make a personal sacrifice to save a friend on this episode as well. Really good.
  • One of the best finales.

I cant believe I am the first reviewer. They really knew what they were doing with the show from the very beginning. Sure there have been a lot of good finales since then as well, but I just love the way that they were sneaking about like that, breaking rules, lol. The view that Hammond gets as he runs in the gateroom of them just disappearing into the gate is awesome, I dont know why. But of course that is not the only reason for me loving this episode, it has some pretty high action. There is lots of running around inside motherships in other episodes, but not many with such high stakes. When they are looking outside the window and see Earth at the very end it is very tense, amazing. And The Serpent's Lair is an amazing following episode as well.