Stargate Universe

Air (2)

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Oct 02, 2009 on Syfy

• First of all I would like to say: Finally! We've been waiting for SGU to start for such a long time and YES, now it's here.

First of all I would like to say: Finally! We've been waiting for SGU to start for such a long time and YES, now it's here. I've been watching the SG series from the beginning and I'm glad that we now can watch another spin-off of the proven stargate-concept. And I must admit: it has potential.

My first "YEAH!" moment was during the opening scene when I saw so many familiar names like Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper being the Writers and Andy Mikita being the Director of this new show. Other names like Richard Dean Anderson, Amanda Tapping and Michael Shanks did appear but their roles within this new spin-off was minimal. I guess they thought they needed these names to give the show it's authenticity but they were wrong. I didn't even recognise General Jack O'Niell when he knocked on Eli Wallace's (David Blue) front door. I did appreciate Sam Carters (Amanda Tappings) role on the Prometheus. Still their presence was nice, but unneeded. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I won't lay down the story told in these initial two episodes because I guess all of you have seen it already. If not: stop reading and watch it! I must admit that my expectations where very, yes very, high, mostly because of the long wait, but also because the SG saga has provided us with years of excellent entertainment in the past 12 years. The clock has been counting down for me for months and today I finally get a glimpse of the new SGU show. Initially the story brought me back to first episodes of SGA, where a group of explores reaches the Atlantis city and encountering all kinds of start-up problems with their new environment. Finding that all kinds of essential systems don't seem to be working after years, decades, even centuries, leaving the team to fend for themselves and to fix the problems. I had to get used to the flashbacks looking towards a point before the moment they arrived at the Ancient spaceship called "Destiny". I guess these flashbacks where needed to tell the story on how they got on this ship but I personally prefer a linear timeline in stead of all this jumping around. The fact that we do not yet know the characters doesn't make it easier and all of them (apparently) need to be introduces within these first two episodes. Oke, I get it. But because of all these introductions the overall storyline of these initial episodes seems to fade into the background. Basically these first two episodes seem to be a prelude of thinks to come. Now the board is set for future single-episode story lines the SG series are known for. The last scene of the second episode seems to be proving my point when a hastily assembled SGU team steps though the gate to an unknown planet and destination. Now that the board is set I do hope and expect the next episodes to be more stories that can stand on their own (Still they will need to add something to the series 01 stroyline). I also noticed that the writers tried to change to overall character themselves to another level of realism. Not persay a better or higher level but, for now, let me say a different level. The characters seem to have a more (realistic) dual character meaning that they also are tempted by good AND evil. In no other more obvious then in Dr. Nicholas Rush (Robert Carlyle) and the Mr Wolsey-like character Senator Alan Armstrong (Christopher McDonald). In previous SciFi series the characters seems to have reached a higher, or better, level of understanding and seem to be better people than inhabit the Earth today. That has always seem to be a defying character aspect of all SciFi series (BSG excluded) and it's characters. There first two episodes seems to depict more "Survivor"-like characters then the I'm-always-righteous "James T. Kirk"-like character. I'm not yet sure what I think of this. Science Fiction has always been a glass-is-half-full kind of genre and I wouldn't like it to turn into a glass-is-half-empty kind of show. But again: it's too early to tell. Let's give it a chance. The eventual question is: Is it entertainment? And to be clear: I don't know yet. I do know the special effects where better then I have ever seen within any SG episode, the spaceship "Destiny" looks great and I hope the SG producers have found another great method of exploring the SG saga and potential. Let's hope for the best and which the creators of this new show the same. Good luck and don't let us down!