Stargate Universe

Cloverdale

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Oct 26, 2010 on Syfy

6.3
  • Too similar to "Stargate" episodes past

After the previous episode, it seemed like Chloe's true nature was going to be kept secret for a bit longer, if only to allow Rush to implement his plans without interference. This episode eliminates the possibility that Young and the others will be ignorant of what is truly happening, so either the apparent "alien sleeper" plot is not what it seems, or it is going to unfold on a much shorter timetable than anticipated.

That's only one thing about this episode that didn't quite work for me. I also wasn't thrilled with the overall dual-story structure. While the crisis on the planet was fine, I can see why they wanted to do something to change up the typical narrative flow. It was definitely something that felt like a standard "Stargate" story, and I can see why they wanted to make it a little more fresh than that.

But the Cloverdale subplot just didn't work for me. Sure, it reframed the main characters in a way that revealed how Scott perceives them psychologically, and there was the nice interplay between the two worlds at the end, but it didn't take long for those aspects to become repetitive. I'm sure the cast appreciated the opportunity to step out of their normal roles and do something different, but it just didn't work well for me.