Stargate Universe

Cloverdale

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Oct 26, 2010 on Syfy

6.3
  • Lt. Scott becomes infected by a deadly spoor offworld and begins hallucinating about a life back on earth where he is getting married while his team on the alien planet attempts to save his life.

2.5
    How the mighty have fallen... a plot disgracing of what we've come to expect from the Stargate Universe, and with some of the worst acting moments I have ever seen. How many times have our heroes in SG1 and SGA dealt with such very similar situations with far more dramatic and believable storylines? Did their compatriots ever give up so easily on Jack O'Neill, Daniel Jackson, John Shepherd or any other member of their team? No rebuffs that this is different because of the age of the characters and radically different circumstances of the SGU premise (I've been giving them that excuse for a whole season now); what we've come to appreciate and love about the Stargate Universe and indeed about many great television series like Stargate is the commitment to ideals higher than those we often act out here in our mundane, selfish, survival-first society. Couple that with some of the most contrived line readings ever captured on film (i.e. Chloe's self-sacrificing wounding and following moment with Eli--"They weren't going to let me stay") and it's near impossible to stay immersed in the story, or indeed the Stargate Universe itself. No, this has all the earmarks of a poorly-thought, contrived teen drama written to forcefully elicit an emotional response from a mindless mass; and worse, it fails so horribly not only at that simple goal, but it does not even attempt to move the season's plotline further--and in a season only 20-some-odd episodes long, you can't afford that kind of 'artistic' masturbation SGU might be an attempt to bring the young adult market into the Stargate Universe, but at what expense? Good storytelling should never be the cost. It denies the entire point of storytelling and it's insulting to its audience.