Stargate Universe

Divided (2)

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Apr 09, 2010 on Syfy

• Overall a little boring. Outstanding sountrack but questionable director/writers's choices.

4.5
    As probably already said, I didn't like much of the first 10 episodes. I thought "Space(2)" was going in the right direction, but one can't ignore the previous 10 episodes. That's what this show is about: the wrong people in the wrong place. So we're bound to have many eps where things just go wrong.
    One would have thought (hoped) that, in time, this ship's occupants would eventually learn to work together...but obviously that is not the writer's decision. so be it.

This episode actually had a kind of fast-pace to it that I liked. I wasn't "on the edge of my seat" at all but I was glad to be little more interested than usual.

The nightmare: very cliché but effective
    Rush become's Cloe's friend: not very believable Rush/Young confrontation: always the same. Young finds out but lets it rest: boring.
    They find the tracking device: very cool scene! Very sci-fi!
    The ancient lab: is not an ancient "lab" if it can control the entire ship.
    the shuttle: I didn't understand how come the docking clamps wouldn't work. Civillians taking over: it miraculously happened. I just wonder why the IOA girld keeps saying "this will be over soon enough". How will it? well we've seen how it did in the end.
    Eli/Chloe talk: good
    IOA girl talks to civillians: superficial and not very effective. "We need to stick together untill he remembers that" (military under civillian's command). That, especially in this situation, is exactly what's not going to happen...at all. Any primate would understand that.
    Surgical operation on rush: very well done up untill the end, when connection is lost (?) and operation is successful with little suspense (??).
    final speech: It didn't happen. Young orders everyone back in their quarters without any final speech. I guess we're going to get the speech next episode?
    "it's not over sir": A lot of people like drama that never ends. there were a lot of negatice comments on SG1 or SGA where, at the end of each episode balance is restored. in SGU it IS exactly the same. Balance is restored and people are back at hating or distrusting each other as much as before. This episode is a good example. Young could have given a speech where he condemned everyone or where he would get on his knees for his actions. Instead he lets things rest once again.

Ending ep of the first half of the season was the only one where there could have been some actual change in direction. but now we're back at the start.

I'll be pointing out details that didn't quite work out for me.

1. we find out about Rush having taken a stone with him for "insurance". Then supposively the aliens learned how to use it and that's why Young found himself in the ship. The beauty of sci-fi is anything's possible. I'm just curious about details, though. How could people not notice there was a stone missing? Let's say "ok: they didn't notice": then why was the stone on one of the aliens walking freely on the ship and not in a "scientist alien" in a lab? Are the aliens so cool that even if you just "wear" a stone (we didn' see it) you get transferred? It happened in SG1, but that was far superior tech (anyway very different device).

2. I'm not quite sure about transferring control of the ship to another room with the push of a button and a sort of "download" cliché. If it was that easy, how come they supposively have such a hard time gaining control of the ship in the first place? I need information to understand this.

3. Three alien ships have tracked them through the device implanted on Rush I wonder why this time they didn't send any fighter to drop other tracking devices. Hell: they could have even boarded them if they wanted to! Think about it: Destiny already had enough problems in the previous episode with one boarding from just one wave of fighters. what about now there could be much more?
    Also: if these aliens are supposively so obsessed with Destiny, why attack it with big guns?
    I probably need more info to understand this.

4. When Young sais it's ok for Eli to go to the other side he also sais that there is another way in. I think it would have been wiser for him to shut up and wait for Eli to go before saying they have another plan...I mean: the guy is about to go on the other side and what do you know: maybe he's willing to tell the others about your plan!

5. The surgical operation: where did they find all those well-shaped tools to make it? Not on Destiny, I guess. did they bring them from earth??
    It would help if, at some point, they would gate to a planet with supplies of any kind but that's never happened so far. also: if the stones weren't working before how do they make them work now? I'd like to see that!

One of the major problems with sci-fi is that you have to explain things to make them believable. Even a very brief explanation that is not necessarity scientifically correct will do. You can just show someone working on the stone device and go like "ok: I got it. The signal is back". Or Rush handing over the missing stone "to save my life". Whatever.

Ok I've written quite a lot. Better go ;)