Stargate Universe Forums

Syfy (ended 2011)

Mallozzi: "Stargate Universe is a 5-year story"

Spinobreaker

[1]Nov 28, 2010
    • level: 10

Hey

Just thought id link u all to an interesting artivle on gateworld.net

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/11/mallozzi-stargate-universe-is-a-5-year-story/

what are your thoughts?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TOCM19

[2]Nov 29, 2010
    • level: 14
    I don't see it happening, no one's watching it and it's going to get canned.

I hope they do end it properly when it does though.

Spinobreaker

[3]Nov 29, 2010
    • level: 10
    yeh im sort of hoping for a third season to finish it all off in, but when have they gien stargate notice like that?

WCSU1987

[4]Nov 30, 2010
    • level: 3

Hope it goes on till the fifth season. Interesting point made in the article to DVR's. I rarely watch the show on its normal slot, but DVR it all the time. Always thought that counted towards the ratings. With the show not returning to Friday's; what other day besides Tuesday would work? Think Tuesday is the best slot due to the fact more people are probably home compared to a Friday and it is not going up against many shows. Though DVRs should be incorporated into ratings.

CaptainHarkness

[5]Dec 1, 2010
    • level: 23

I like that they have a plan. And I'd love to see SGU go for 5 seasons but right now I've got my fingers crossed for just a third season.If they don't get enough notice though to close out the show does anyone think that they'd get a Straight to DVD movie to wrap things up? I could imagine the outrage if that got made before the SG-1 or Atlantis movies.

MajLorne

[6]Dec 1, 2010
    • level: 21
    Atlantis, much as I loved the show, started to wear out as they had too many fillers to boost their openers, midseason, finale episodes. The only way I see this show last 5 years is if they made one season 10-12 eps only rather than the 20 it is now. Fillers like Visitation are what drags this show down. Cut those eps out and keep mostly eps like the last one, and that'll be worth staying on with for 3 more years.

alienzed

[7]Dec 1, 2010
    • level: 3

WCSU1987 wrote:

Hope it goes on till the fifth season. Interesting point made in the article to DVR's. I rarely watch the show on its normal slot, but DVR it all the time. Always thought that counted towards the ratings. With the show not returning to Friday's; what other day besides Tuesday would work? Think Tuesday is the best slot due to the fact more people are probably home compared to a Friday and it is not going up against many shows. Though DVRs should be incorporated into ratings.

Actually, ratings are calculated by taking samples from the tv populace. The random selectees will fill out a little book with what shows they watch and when and then send it to the company responsible for summing it all up. TV signals are one way so ratings never come straight off your box.

kanniballl

[8]Jan 3, 2011
    • level: 18

5 seasons is the max limit I think any show should last. 3 is usually good enough so long as they wrap up their stories.

People still complain that they cancelled SG-1, a show that was on for 10 years and grew stale way before that. imagine... 10 flippin years wasn't long enough for some people.

It's all a moot point anyway, Universe is cancelled. I hope they shot enough so the end of the show was at least satisfactory. I'd hate the finale to be a cliff hanger or some random nonsense episode.

mantez

[9]Jan 5, 2011
    • level: 9

alienzed wrote:

WCSU1987 wrote:

Actually, ratings are calculated by taking samples from the tv populace. The random selectees will fill out a little book with what shows they watch and when and then send it to the company responsible for summing it all up. TV signals are one way so ratings never come straight off your box.

My house was selected for the ratings service once and we had a box that everyone in the house had registered on and every night it would send the ratings info back via the phone line. Although this was a while ago(before digital). I would assume they use similar tech now.

jabalong

[10]Jan 6, 2011
    • level: 4

If SGU really does end this season, I'd rather they left the finale open-ended, instead of trying to quickly and artificially wrap up the show now.

While I understand why people like closure, I don't see how abrupt endings are satisfying. If the show has to end, I'd rather just let it carry on off into the sunset and so I can think about the show as ongoing even if it isn't rather than being forcefed some ending that wasn't meant to be.

Also with a science fiction franchise like Stargate, there's the possibility to carry on the story in other mediums. So if the SGU writers have mapped out a five-year broad story arc, then I'd rather see them farm that out to be carried on through SGU novels.

Just because the TV show ends, the story doesn't have to. There's no way they can suddenly tie up the story this season and do any justice to it. That said, I agree the ending shouldn't be a cliffhanger or something, but at the same time it can still be open-ended as Destiny continues on.

kanniballl

[11]Jan 10, 2011

jabalong wrote:

If SGU really does end this season, I'd rather they left the finale open-ended, instead of trying to quickly and artificially wrap up the show now.

While I understand why people like closure, I don't see how abrupt endings are satisfying. If the show has to end, I'd rather just let it carry on o

Agreed. I don't want them to try to wrap up the whole mystery of the beginning of the universe and/or have them return home. I too am fine with using my imagination as to "what comes next" and even enjoyed the series finale of Angel which had an ambiguous ending.

But I would like them to end on a good note, with maybe 1 or 2 questions answered, and NOT have it end on a cliffhanger like Farscape. I'd be OK with them at least finding out what the purpose was of converting the chick to an alien: to help them, to take over, "just because," etc.

Alternatively, a while after Farscape ended, they decided to release a shot miniseries to calm down the screaming fans. Unfortuately they tried to wrap up too many things and it turned a bit into a chaotic mess at times.

Edited on 01/10/2011 9:35am

TOCM19

[12]Jan 10, 2011
    • level: 14
    Peacekeeper Wars was a really good ending I though.

kanniballl

[13]Jan 10, 2011

TOCM19 wrote:
    Peacekeeper Wars was a really good ending I though.

True, particularly the final scene was a nice send-off. And it answered most of the open questions that lingered. And it made up for the whole "Will you marry me? Yes! EXPLOSION!!! To Be Continued" series finale.

My only problem with it was they tried to answer too many questions and close too many plot threads over the 4 hours they had.

- Chiana's sight = fixed
    - Earth's link to the peace keepers
    - What was the role of the aliens Jules found, and Jule's death
    - Dargo reuniting with his son
    - The peace keeper war
    - The wormhole knowledge in his skull and the danger it represents
    - The wedding and such
    - The baby finally being born

Looking at all of the above, that's a lot for 4 hours. Especially since only some of that was inter-related.

I'd rather they only focused on maybe 1/2 of that and leave the rest for imagination and/or novels.

Edited on 01/10/2011 11:47am
    Edited 2 total times.

Ajclannachan

[14]Apr 27, 2011
    • level: 8

I hope they find a way to give us the rest of the story. Even if its in the form of a book. They Destiny story line is good enough to continue in whatever form the choose.

I just hope they choose to continue it. Its a shame so many people steal DVD's by downloading these days or MGM may have done several 2 hours movies to finish the destiny story cause it would have been financially viable. It Isnt when most people are stealing it!

Why the hell have they cancelled the best SCI FI show on the TV??? Money and short sightedness of the channel and particular supposed Stargate Fans.

I know it wont happen but I hope somone has enough faith to pick the show up on another channel.

kanniballl

[15]May 5, 2011

Ajclannachan wrote:

Why the hell have they cancelled the best SCI FI show on the TV??? Money and short sightedness of the channel and particular supposed Stargate Fans.

I know it wont happen but I hope somone has enough faith to pick the show up on another channel.

I'm sure there are financial and ratings reasons.

But loads of loud and angry fans of the previous Stargate series probably helped the decision along. If a chunk your core demographic and fanbase is angry and hate the show and very loud about it... it makes it hard to justify continuing forward.

Even if it was just a small percentage: these people are very loud on the forums and things. While the owners don't lurk the forums to read posts I'm sure they have people that give them a general rundown of how fans are feeling. And god forbid one of these people gets onto a focus group or something.

It's hard enough to keep a sci fi show on the air when the fans love it... if they get the impression that they don't then the show is SOL

Meanwhile SyFy appears to be cutting back on their scripted science fiction shows in favor of more reality tv.

_Dargor_

[16]May 11, 2011
    • level: 6

The problem being that the show actually got better and better as it moved towards it's cancellation.

The last 5 episodes are most definitly Stargate worthy, possibly more so than some of SG-1's last season episodes.

But now we'll never know.

cross_mr

[17]May 28, 2011
    • level: 9
    kanniballl wrote:

Ajclannachan wrote:

I'm sure there are financial and ratings reasons.

But loads of loud and angry fans of the previous Stargate series probably helped the decision along. If a chunk your core demographic and fanbase is angry and hate the show and very loud about it... it makes it hard to justify continuing forward.

Even if it was just a small percentage: these people are very loud on the forums and things. While the owners don't lurk the forums to read posts I'm sure they have people that give them a general rundown of how fans are feeling. And god forbid one of these people gets onto a focus group or something.

It's hard enough to keep a sci fi show on the air when the fans love it... if they get the impression that they don't then the show is SOL

Meanwhile SyFy appears to be cutting back on their scripted science fiction shows in favor of more reality tv.

They had absolutely no effect. It was all about ratings and nothing more. If the production was making enough money, it wouldn't be cancelled TV shows have had tons of detractors through-out the years, none have ever cancelled it because some fans were upset, unless that actually caused them to stop viewing and the ratings dropped.