Stargate Universe Forums

Syfy (ended 2011)

Official Discussion Thread: Incursion (2) (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Jun 10, 2010
    • level: 100
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 6/11/10 episode "Incursion (2)" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

carlejeune

[2]Jun 11, 2010
    • level: 6

I liked the season finale and look forward to seeing who if anyone dies...guess it depends on who renews their contractLaughing

Polantaris

[3]Jun 11, 2010
    • level: 2

While the episode itself is not bad, the reason for the entire 3-parter is bull. In any real life situation, they would have had the Gate Room completely airless until they saw the Alliance go through. Not only that, how did they magically get things to open doors? I know this is from last episode, but it really annoyed me. No amount of information given to them would help them make a device to magically unlock a foreign door, especially when they never took one apart, how would they know how it worked? The entire premise of these three episodes annoys me. After the premise, though, the episode itself wasn't too bad.

someguy0830

[4]Jun 11, 2010
    • level: 27
    The gate room wasn't airless in case Telford/Rush was pitched through, which he was, and even then he couldn't have known they'd be able to force the doors open.

For the doors themselves, Telford could easily have pulled up something on the doors while wandering the ship at various points. But he didn't. There's supposed to be explanation coming later as to why they're so interested in the ship.

Polantaris

[5]Jun 11, 2010
    • level: 2
    If they were worried about Telford/Rush coming through the gate, then they wouldn't have sounded and acted so surprised when they saw him there.

He could have easily pulled up something on the doors...how? He can't bring anything back with him to give them as information, and knowing what they look like on the outside would be of no assistance what so ever. It's a sham to create the scenario and leave us with a cliffhanger. Why are various characters we have been watching so interested in the ship? It's ancient technology that is still far surpassing our own, they could learn a ton from it and use it as a weapon against Earth, or just help them at all.

gigaslayerx

[6]Jun 11, 2010
    • level: 9
    they were planning to vent the air as soon as everyone came thru. just when they about to vent it. they saw telford and thought it was rush in his body. (i believe if you die in another guys body while the stones are active, both bodies die.)...as for not keeping it vented. they didnt know when they would come. and if it was the LA or earth forces that MAY have taken the LA base and or followed the LA thru the gate.

someguy0830

[7]Jun 12, 2010
    Polantaris wrote:
    He could have easily pulled up something on the doors...how? He can't bring anything back with him to give them as information, and knowing what they look like on the outside would be of no assistance what so ever. It's a sham to create the scenario and leave us with a cliffhanger. Why are various characters we have been watching so interested in the ship? It's ancient technology that is still far surpassing our own, they could learn a ton from it and use it as a weapon against Earth, or just help them at all.
    Telford doesn't need to bring back physical data. A baseline overview (cog spins, door opens) would be enough.

As for the Lucian Alliance, they can't dial back and have no means of communicating with those in the Milky Way. That idea does not work.

wolfwing

[8]Jun 12, 2010

So uhhhh....who is left alive at the end of this episode is probably easier then whose dead/possibly dead.

Reynolds *think that was him*

telford shot unknown if dead.

Cloe slumped over possibly dead.

two outside of the ship...possibly dead.

non civilians, unknown but were about to die.

The black guy *bahhh forget his name* think it was him, shot through chest near collarbone*

Pregnant woman....shot.

is anyone left of the main cast, other then the civilian leader and Eliajh?

I can almost see this ending up as a time warp event...maybe just because I've spent so much time watching seven days and early edition last while heh :> I mean they can't take out this much of the cast and keep going...unless this ends up a lucian alliance series now.

TOCM19

[9]Jun 12, 2010
    • level: 14
    wolfwing wrote:

So uhhhh....who is left alive at the end of this episode is probably easier then whose dead/possibly dead.

Reynolds *think that was him*

telford shot unknown if dead.

Cloe slumped over possibly dead.

two outside of the ship...possibly dead.

non civilians, unknown but were about to die.

The black guy *bahhh forget his name* think it was him, shot through chest near collarbone*

Pregnant woman....shot.

is anyone left of the main cast, other then the civilian leader and Eliajh?

I can almost see this ending up as a time warp event...maybe just because I've spent so much time watching seven days and early edition last while heh :> I mean they can't take out this much of the cast and keep going...unless this ends up a lucian alliance series now.

Did anyone see James at all in this episode, I've replayed that scene at the end a few times an I can't see her in that room with the others.

drclawski

[10]Jun 12, 2010
    • level: 4

I think this is an easy resolution of the pregnancy storyline. the doctor will survive, but the baby, alas, cannot be saved. As for the two spacewalkers, they'll survive because Eli will be quick enough. And we can't let their girlfriend die either.

The enemy who got shot and subsequently patched up by the doctor will take command, and order the other to stand down. Maybe that other already started executing people, maybe not. I don't know however how they are going to save Telfort and that queen or whatever she is (I never followed to original series).

Anyway, that is my take on the story.

When is it returning?

orxis

[11]Jun 12, 2010

drclawski wrote:

When is it returning?

this is my question too. Anyone knows? I hope we don't have to wait till 2011 or something ridiculous like that...

skythe83

[12]Jun 12, 2010
    • level: 1

Check the (probably right) title of the first season 2 episode: "intervention"

Do you guys remember the pillar on the "built" planet and what they said about the race that built it?

Just watch this recap, add 1 and 1, and you'll figure out whats going to happen: http://stargate.mgm.com/view/series/3/index.html

Wink

Edited on 06/12/2010 5:56am

xixamadeira

[13]Jun 12, 2010
    • level: 11
    cliffhangers are stupid!!!!!!!!!!!1

someguy0830

[14]Jun 12, 2010
    It returns in October for those curious.

cross_mr

[15]Jun 12, 2010
    • level: 9
    :
    The gate room wasn't airless in case Telford/Rush was pitched through, which he was, and even then he couldn't have known they'd be able to force the doors open.

If they really thought that it would have been nothing to put a small team in there with a couple suits and extract him as everyone collapsed coming through. They can't keep the gate open forever so even if they stopped coming through, they knew SGC was tracking them down, even if the planet didn't blow up they probably wouldn't have been able to dial it again. SGC would have been all over them. Not venting the atmosphere was lazy writing.

torrijos

[16]Jun 12, 2010
    • level: 16
    I Liked the episodes but they were off regarding the way the series had played out until now.
    A little bit too messy and disorganized.

Young has to be, by far, the worst professional military strategist of history.
    Sure the plan to remove atmosphere from the gate room wasn't (that) bad, but the fact that he hadn't established a secure perimeter around the gate room was just plain stupid an the origin of all that mess. He should have, not only closed the doors of the gate room, but get the air out of the adjacent rooms, or at least try to establish hardened positions, cut out completely that part of the ship from the rest of them.

Anyway okay episodes and I hope we won't have to wait too long for the next season.

TOCM19

[17]Jun 12, 2010
    • level: 14
    cross_mr wrote:
    :

If they really thought that it would have been nothing to put a small team in there with a couple suits and extract him as everyone collapsed coming through. They can't keep the gate open forever so even if they stopped coming through, they knew SGC was tracking them down, even if the planet didn't blow up they probably wouldn't have been able to dial it again. SGC would have been all over them. Not venting the atmosphere was lazy writing.

What's lazier?

A) Vent air, everyone dies.

B) Don't vent air, hostage situation follows, gamma burst coming from pulsar, space walks to re-route shield power, LA guy "falling" for TJ, Eli and Chloe trying to survive.....

skythe83

[18]Jun 12, 2010

someguy0830 wrote:
    It returns in October for those curious.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for in these forums. Many thanks, hope they replace the show with Caprica in the meantime.

Kahnite

[19]Jun 12, 2010

Hi Folks,

Being a writer myself, I understand plot devices, and while the cliffhanger ending to season 1 was dramatic, I was disappointed that the Ancients who are suppose to be far technologically superior to us have been portrayed as being glaringly lacking in intelligence in certain respects. The latest example being the shielding on the ship capable of withstanding the radiation and heat of dipping into a star's upper atmosphere and scooping up stellar matter (assuming that the ship is using the Hydrogen and/or Helium for fusion, the physics to do this for interstellar travel don't require you to enter a star's atmosphere to scoop up enough material, but that's another story), yet the ship's systems not being intelligent enough to detect which side of the ship was facing the pulsar and adjust the shields accordingly. Heck, we mere humans have reactive armor systems today that can detect a threat and react accordingly, today; yet the Ancients have apparently forgotten this technology.

I like the series, but we definitely need some better plot devices, or at least better explanations for the ones that are used.

hoobydictator

[20]Jun 12, 2010
    • level: 4

cross_mr wrote:
    :

I don't really think it was lazy. Aside for the fact that it would have been a very short couple of episodes if the invading force had died just like that, it actually played on Young's flaws as a commander. Young essentially expects to get everyone away from a particular situation alive; he does not seem to accept the possibility that sacrificing an individual for the sake of the group may be necessary and beneficial. It's why he stopped Rush from working on the chair; he knew that at some point someone would get desperate and sit in the chair (or get talked into it) and wind up dying. To hell with the possibilty that it might not do that and they get the information and control they need. Everyone has to come out alive.

From these three episodes, I get the impression that Young's relationship with Telford used to be rather different to what we have seen before. Now that the brainwashing is broken, they appear to be much friendlier toward each other to the extent that they are working on a first name basis where previously it was rank and surname. At the time Telford came through the gate, his contact with Rush was broken, but Young did not know that. When presented with a situation where he would be killing both Telford (a friend) and Rush (which wouldn't look good given what happended with the crew mutiny), Young choked. His reaction was to try and save both which meant that everyone else in the gate room had to live as well, at least for the time being. It was a predictable response given what we know about him. So there was a sudden change of plan which meant that no one was ready for what came next, and since plan A would have been totally effective if carried out, there does not appear to have been a plan B thought up.

So what happens next? I think it fairly obvious that Eli makes it to the airlock in time, so Scott and Greer live another day. They may have the means to help Chloe; Young did introduce Greer as a medic which could have been a rouse or he could genuinely have some basic training. What I think will save the day is Varro. His conversations with TJ appear to indicate that he looks on this as some sort of quest that they should be doing together rather than fighting over the ownership of it. There is the distinct possibility that TJ's child will not make it, so he could look upon this as having sullied the quest and feel the need to do something to prevent any more killing. As a theory, it's probably wrong again, so it's the long wait till October to find out for sure.