Stargate Universe Forums

Syfy (ended 2011)

Official Stargate Universe Cancellation Thread

DJWoodbine

[1]Dec 16, 2010
    • level: 4
    (From the editor: Note that gripes and complaints still go to the pinned thread. Discussion, petitions, news, etc., go here, thanks!)

I know I'm new here so hi

Just heard SGU have been cancelled and I am gutted as it was one of my favourite show

http://tvovermind.zap2it.com/cable/syfy/stargate-universe/stargate-universe-canceled-syfy/42228

Seeing as there will be no season 3, I really hope there will be a SGU movie so we get closure.

Edited on 12/29/2010 12:13pm
    Edited 4 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

nlavallo

[3]Dec 16, 2010
    • level: 1

Another SciFi show bites the dust...or is it ScyFy...? Imagine my ass, this makes more room for Lame-O movies, repeats, and more WWE...(how this SciFi I don't know) and junk like "scare tactics".... Does this channel want to lose all of its audience?

Dewbak75

[4]Dec 16, 2010
    • level: 18

I can't say this is a huge surprise, SGU's ratings were really bad. So this is the end of an era, SyFy will have no Battlestar Galactica or Stargate properties on the air. I hear they're trying to launch a third BSG show, but honestly I hope they give up on that. It's time to move on. They have Eureka, Sanctuary, Warehouse 13, and Haven, and they've got Alphas being developed. I just wish they'd spend more of their budget on quality series and less of it on those stupid Saturday monster movies.

Spinobreaker

[5]Dec 16, 2010
    • level: 10
    ill admit, im not sure if im happy or sad...
    i was just starting to like it
    I was hoping theyd get one more series so they can finish the story... but awe well...

hbktimf24

[6]Dec 16, 2010
    • level: 7
    This sucks i wanted to see the furlings ..damn

BarryWeen3

[7]Dec 16, 2010
    • level: 14
    Dewbak75 wrote:

I can't say this is a huge surprise, SGU's ratings were really bad. So this is the end of an era, SyFy will have no Battlestar Galactica or Stargate properties on the air. I hear they're trying to launch a third BSG show, but honestly I hope they give up on that. It's time to move on. They have Eureka, Sanctuary, Warehouse 13, and Haven, and they've got Alphas being developed. I just wish they'd spend more of their budget on quality series and less of it on those stupid Saturday monster movies.

They are, it's called Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome. It's a movie/backdoor pilot centered around the times of the cylon wars, if I'm remembering correctly. It's set during the latter part of the first Cylon War, with a young viper pilot named William Adama as the main character serving abord the newest Battlestar, the Galactica. It's described as an action-adventure war series.

chestrix

[8]Dec 16, 2010
    • level: 3
    Not surprising considering the terrible ratings.

RIP SGU

danharr

[9]Dec 16, 2010
    • level: 45

Well I guess the darker more serious drama bent scifi fans have been abandoned this sucks.

_Dargor_

[10]Dec 16, 2010
    • level: 6

I'm sorry but if there's no Stargate/BSG/Farscape playing, that channel might as well be renamed to "Channel223, that channel that used to rock 8 years ago"

EdCote1

[11]Dec 16, 2010
    • level: 2

First off: the way that the actors found out that the show was canceled. What the hell was that all about? Syfy didn't even have the decency to tell them privately first? Couldn't even send out an email to everybody? WTF? I know people make mistakes, but how do you screw up something like that? This just makes Engler and the stuffed shirts in general look like jackasses.

Next, the decision itself. You know, I could almost understand this. Maybe in a different context. I know that science fiction shows are expensive to produce, especially with a quality ensemble cast like SGU, but isn't this, you know, the Science Fiction channel? Or at least it used to be.

I'm getting sick to death of good shows being canceled while the bandwidth gets clogged with garbage. What, SyFy can try again to milk BSG but not Stargate? They can do a "reality" show about some "psychic" huckster and her wacky family? Ghost Hunters, let alone a spin off? Some guy auctioning off movie props? And WRESTLING! Network Decay! Everybody else is doing it so you have to do it too, right? Good job SyFy. Forget all about what SciFi was in the first place. Get rid of those icky geeks who were your loyal fan base; I guess we aren't good enough, even though we are a bigger and more mainstream group now than ever.

Ratings. Ah, yes, ratings. Go ahead, network executives, cast your lot with an obsolete joke of a system that was never that accurate to begin with. Base everything on a sample size that's way too small and doesn't account for how people actually watch TV. But hey, that's what sells the advertising that we all skip with our DVRs. Don't consider website traffic, DVD sales, Netflix, or merchandising as streams of revenue or measures of success. And isn't 1.5 million passable for cable? Aren't there shows on major networks faring not much better? Sure, maybe SGU wasn't pulling a 1.5 consistently, but it could do it easily enough, especially if word of the show's improvement could spread. Is SGU (which was barely promoted at all) really bleeding money from NBC Universal more than The Event, which they promoted the everloving crap out of?

When did execs become so impatient? It seems that these days most shows have less than ten episodes to post HUGE ratings or get canceled. You get more time if you have a big name writer, producer or franchise (maybe the only reason SGU got even a second season). Even so, Star Trek TNG would never have made it today. Remember how lame the first two seasons were? Remember how awesome later seasons were? Yeah, we would have been cheated out of a great show if TNG had not been allowed the time to mature. Hell, on TV Tropes TNG is the trope namer for "Growing the Beard". If that had happened, the entire Star Trek franchise would have died then and there. There never would have been DS9 or anything afterward.

I know that many Stargate fans were unhappy with the show, and I can see why. It was perhaps too much of a departure from the established tone of the other two series. But wasn't DS9 a departure from the tone of TNG? Didn't it also get off to a weak start? And it went on to become, in my opinion, the best Star Trek series of all. I don't blame the fanbase for the cancellation of SGU, at least not as much as some people do, but frankly when a fanbase is unpleaseable, then well, they won't be pleased. For those of you who are glad to see the "abomination" gone, I ask- do you really think you are more likely to get the show you want now? I think you're much more likely to get nothing. The Stargate team has nothing else in the pipeline, and won't for years. Even then, they will be in a much weaker position to negotiate with a much more hostile Comcast-owned NBC Universal. This might be the end of the Stargate franchise, at least for a long time. As much as I hated Voyager, I don't hate the people who liked it, and I certainly was glad to see Star Trek survive it. I'd like the same courtesy here.

You know what's really galling? The show was just getting good. Watch the recent episode "Malice" and tell me this is a show that deserves the axe. I dare you. Yes, SGU took some time to get a rhythm. Yes, there were some weird and even bad episodes. But not every story is going to hit the ground running and keep it up nonstop. This was generally a more pensive and even intelligent show, and that's not typical. I get that. But not every show can be the same, and even considering all of those things, the drama wasn't all that bad. Some of the acting was downright excellent, especially Robert Carlyle. The plot was just coming together. Hell, even Chloe recently became a more interesting and rounded character.

In summary, I am pissed off and energetic enough to join any effort to save the show. Sadly, I don't expect that a sufficient groundswell will emerge. More likely, the franchise fanbase is too divided and there aren't enough new fans die hard enough to pull it off. For once, I'd like to be wrong.

JohandeLange

[12]Dec 17, 2010
    Why do they stop all the good sci-fi series. Thought they learned with Firefly. Butt still they go on with it. Bloody shame....

zzbeach

[13]Dec 17, 2010
    • level: 12

The show started off pissing off at least half the fans of Atlantis. How could you expect it to survive that? Wright and Molozzi should be immediately canned for this just like Cooper. But there is a rumor for a tv movie to rap up the storyline. I have read that this may happen. SyFy has it in their plans for any Stargate movie and Universe would be the one since the sets are still up and the actors are under contract.

smiley19922006

[14]Dec 17, 2010

I think it sux that SGU got axed, I was finally starting to get into it. But what do you expect, since NBC/Universal bought Sci-fi (notice I used the properspelling and not that silly one NBC came up with) it has gone down hill. First they were airing that stupid soap that NBC had recently canceled then they starter airing WWE, WWF, ECW what ever it is, granted it is all make believe, but it is not sci-fi. Of the progrms that have been on Sci-fi in the last 5 years Battlestar Galactica was good, I'm still a bigger fan of the orgional, but that new version was good. Caprica the spin-off/prequel of BSG sucked, the only episode I ever tryed watching was the pilot and it was so bad I only got through the first 20 minuets before I turned it off. Flash Gordon, I watched the first couple of episodes cause of the name of the show wanting to see a good take on Alex Raymonds classic, well I was greatly disapointed, what I got sucked, if you are gonna do Flash Gordon stick to the classic material is all I have to say. What I saw of Sci-fi channel's take on the Dune saga was pretty good, but I didn't get to see it all for one reason or other so I'm reserving judgment till I can get them all from netflix. I never have been much of a fan of Eureka, but I have gotten some good chuckles when I have watched it. Warehouse 13 was ok when I watched it but it just never really held my attention. Some of my faves from the last 5 years have been Battlestar Galactica, Sanctuary, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, and as I said once I was finally able to get into it Stargate Universe. Well I guess I shouldend my vent session here my saying to NBC/Universal, get your heads together and listen to the viewers as to what is good and what isn't. And to the cast and crew of Stargate Universe I want to say thank you for all your hard work.

TX6000

[15]Dec 17, 2010

SGU was so much better than the fakeness of SG1 and SGA, SGU was darker and seemed more real to me than the plastic stun guns and crap in the other series, the acting was better in SGU and I was loving every episode. I never felt really involved with the first two series but SGU drew me in...

SG1 and SGA were too light hearted where as SGU hit the spot with real drama, real situations and relationships along with the anticipation of what the crew and Destiny were going to uncover next in the region of space they occupied, and what new parts of the ship they would discover.

I was really liking the storyline of Destiny's mission to uncover the secrets of the universe and eager to see this develop, I don't understand why they are cancelling, is it due to lack of viewers? I live outside the US (Australia) so I'm not really aware of how the networks rate the shows, but I asume they aren't doing it correctly.

This reminds me of when Terminator SCC, and Dollhouse were cancelled...good shows given the chop in favour of other shows that fail.

DJWoodbine

[16]Dec 17, 2010

I didn't have any ideas about the viewing ratings either so tbh I wasn't really expecting this. But it's annoying good shows get cancelled because of figures, wish they keep loyal to the ones who do tune in each week.

When SG1 and Atlantis ended, I wasn't sure about SGU, but it was turning out to be great. I loved Stargate ever since the 1st film.

netgoddess

[17]Dec 17, 2010
    • level: 10

I don't get why unique and interesting shows like SGU, Journeyman, TTSCC, Dollhouse, Firefly get canceled and boring stuff like Eureka and Chuck keep getting renewed ad nauseam. So I'm stuck now either watching reruns (which tends to bore me even more than lower-quality shows I've never seen before) or average-quality stuff like V which is interesting but not fantastic.

I look forward to the day when production and distribution costs are low enough that entire TV series can be produced and released online and not be subject to advertising revenue but make enough money from Netflix or similar type revenue models to be able to produce series as forms of art instead of being at the whim to the popularity contest of the outdated "ratings" paradigm.

Edited on 12/17/2010 3:13pm

BarryWeen3

[18]Dec 17, 2010
    • level: 14
    Let's see now, the scorecard for SyFy is now...

Eureka--returning for the second half of its fourth season, already renewed for a fifth season

Haven--returning for its second season

Sanctuary--returning for the second half of its third season, doing well enough that more than likely to be renewed for a fourth season

Warehouse 13--returning for its third season

Then the newcomers....

Alphas--greenlighted for 12 episodes including a 90 minute pilot episode, starring David Strathairn as Dr. Lee Rosen who leads a group of citizens imbued with beyond human abilities due to brain anomalies they all have investigating cases left unsolved or untouched by the CIA, FBI, etc.

Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome--the 2HR movie/backdoor pilot set near the end of the first Cylon war.

Being Human--remake of the British show set for 13 episodes.

And of course, let's not forget....

Wrestling and Reality Shows

cross_mr

[19]Dec 17, 2010
    • level: 9
    all I can say is "Woohoo!"

:

I know that many Stargate fans were unhappy with the show, and I can see why. It was perhaps too much of a departure from the established tone of the other two series

This was not the problem. The problem was the departure from the universe. You can make a serious darker show while still keeping it focused on "stargate". They did not do this. Stargate was barely a footnote in this series. We had a whole season where we barely learned anything that would move our knowledge of the mythos forward. The first bit of interesting tech was covered in a emo song laden montage. That was the problem.

NickPirce

[20]Dec 17, 2010

But why did Syfy move Stargate from its long-established Friday night time slot? From one point of view, it had no choice. In 2010 the network acquired rights to WWE SmackDown, which had long-established its own fan base on Friday nights. As much distaste as non-fans of wrestling have for WWE shows, they do get monster ratings in key demographics that advertisers love (more than double any of Syfy's scripted dramas). So SmackDown is great for Syfy's bottom line … though execs have to stretch their creativity to justify why this show has any place on their network. (Part of this stretch has come in the form of the "SCI FI" to "Syfy" name change, as the network shifts from the science fiction, fantasy, and horror genres to a more general branding around the concept of "imagination.") Not wanting to risk shaking up SmackDown's Friday night viewership, Syfy kept the 2-hour block on Fridays - leaving room for only one other show in primetime that night. (And that's a night that has traditionally been the night of the week where viewers are most friendly to science fiction.Originally Syfy was going to move Sanctuary to Tuesdays with SGU - but before the premiere, programming executives decided to pair SGU with Caprica instead, and keep Sanctuary on Fridays following wrestling. (They needed a quick decision on whether to give Caprica another year, so they bumped it up on the schedule from January.) It's been great for Sanctuary, which seems almost certain to get a fourth season. In spite of the fact that more than 50 percent of the WWE audience doesn't stick around at 10 p.m., it's still enough to make Sanctuary the network's top-rated original drama this fall.