TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Stargate Universe Forums

Syfy (ended 2011)

Official Stargate Universe Cancellation Thread

BarryWeen3

[22]Dec 17, 2010
    • level: 14
    jiveabillion wrote:

I'm glad it's gone. It was a waste of sci-fi budget. I loved SG-1 and even Atlantis. They both had great character development and interesting stories. SGU just sucked. It was too dramatic. Nothing really cool ever happened. Even though SG-1 and Atlantis had some really campy and goofy moments, I could always look past them and enjoy the rest of the show. There were just no redeeming qualities of SGU.

If only they could get a show with the best qualities of Whedon's Firefly, Buffy, and Angel on TV again, I would be a happy man.

My wish would be for Firefly to continue where they left off from the show and movie on SyFy. Damnit, I want more Firefly. Of course that's not going to happen considering let's see Nathan Fillion has his own show Castle, Morena Baccarin is on V, Summer Glau has signed on to the Cape, Adam Baldwin is on Chuck, Sam Maher and Jewel Staite recently reunited on Warehouse 13, Gina Torres is on Huge, Alan Tudyk recently reunited with a couple of his castmates on V and Dollhouse, and Ron Glass was last seen in Death at a Funeral. Hmmm...could the Browncoats be reunited...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Spinobreaker

[23]Dec 17, 2010
    • level: 10
    NickPirce wrote:

But why did Syfy move Stargate from its long-established Friday night time slot? From one point of view, it had no choice. In 2010 the network acquired rights to WWE SmackDown, which had long-established its own fan base on Friday nights. As much distaste as non-fans of wrestling have for WWE shows, they do get monster ratings in key demographics that advertisers love (more than double any of Syfy's scripted dramas). So SmackDown is great for Syfy's bottom line … though execs have to stretch their creativity to justify why this show has any place on their network. (Part of this stretch has come in the form of the "SCI FI" to "Syfy" name change, as the network shifts from the science fiction, fantasy, and horror genres to a more general branding around the concept of "imagination.") Not wanting to risk shaking up SmackDown's Friday night viewership, Syfy kept the 2-hour block on Fridays - leaving room for only one other show in primetime that night. (And that's a night that has traditionally been the night of the week where viewers are most friendly to science fiction.Originally Syfy was going to move Sanctuary to Tuesdays with SGU - but before the premiere, programming executives decided to pair SGU with Caprica instead, and keep Sanctuary on Fridays following wrestling. (They needed a quick decision on whether to give Caprica another year, so they bumped it up on the schedule from January.) It's been great for Sanctuary, which seems almost certain to get a fourth season. In spite of the fact that more than 50 percent of the WWE audience doesn't stick around at 10 p.m., it's still enough to make Sanctuary the network's top-rated original drama this fall.

nice copy and paste from gateworld.net :p

TOCM19

[24]Dec 18, 2010
    • level: 14
    netgoddess wrote:

I don't get why unique and interesting shows like SGU, Journeyman, TTSCC, Dollhouse, Firefly get canceled and boring stuff like Eureka and Chuck keep getting renewed ad nauseam. So I'm stuck now either watching reruns (which tends to bore me even more than lower-quality shows I've never seen before) or average-quality stuff like V which is interesting but not fantastic.

Maybe it was the Agents? Maybe the series creator where getting to close to the truth?

torrijos

[25]Dec 18, 2010
    • level: 16
    Worst part of all this...

We'll get to watch the next ten episodes in the spring, and rejoice in their awesomeness while knowing that it's all over, and that we'll never get to know the full 5 season story.

Anyway, I want to thank the writers for their great story and characters, the directors and the staff for the amazing quality and attention they gave to this show and I hope they all get jobs pretty quickly.

Thanks also for the actors from the main cast but also the supporting cast...

Robert Carlyle, Louis Ferreira, David Blue, Alaina Huffman, Brian J. Smith, Peter Kelamis, Patrick Gilmore, Jennifer Spence, Ming-Na, Jamil Walker Smith, Haig Sutherland, Mark Burgess, Lou Diamond Phillips, Mike Dopud, Elyse Levesque, Julie McNiven, Robert Knepper, Louise Lombard, Josh Blacker AND ALL THE OTHERS that really made this show great. I had doubt about some in the begining but they all got a chance to shine and rose to the occasion.

All those people are incredibly talented and certainly deserved to learn about the cancellation from the network, not twitter.
    I wish them all the best and hope to see them, in other good shows, no matter the ratings or the mount of pizza they manage to sell I'm only in it for the stories.

tirebiter2

[26]Dec 18, 2010
    • level: 4

chestrix wrote:
    Not surprising considering the terrible ratings. RIP SGU
    Which wasn't surprising considering the most exciting thing that happened on this show was when doors opened and closed.

They really delivered the feeling of how boring it is to be on a mostly derelict space ship, in the middle of nowhere, a billion light years from earth.

CaptainHarkness

[27]Dec 18, 2010
    • level: 23

This news actually put me in a very bad mood when I found out. The sad thing is I think I knew before some of teh cast that it was cancelled. All due to Twitter. None of the cast deserved to find out that way.

I hope we will get some kind of resolution to the storyline after the show ends. We can only hope.

cross_mr

[28]Dec 19, 2010
    • level: 9
    :
    I don't get why unique and interesting shows like SGU,

The problem was it was neither unique nor interesting. It was a hard rip-off of galactica and voyager, and it really wasn't that interesting. The amount of interesting moments could be counted on one hand and only happened when they departed from the formula of the show.

hoobydictator

[29]Dec 19, 2010

cross_mr wrote:
    :
    I don't get why unique and interesting shows like SGU,
    The problem was it was neither unique nor interesting. It was a hard rip-off of galactica and voyager, and it really wasn't that interesting. The amount of interesting moments could be counted on one hand and only happened when they departed from the formula of the show.

OK then. Let's pick apart a fan favourite then... "Window of Opportunity".

All through the run of Universe, we have had the complaints that it's "not sci-fi" enough, there's no "action", or that it's a "soap opera". Let's face it, "Window of Opportunity" is just the movie "Groundhog Day" with an explanation thrown in of a man with a time machine. That's about as sci-fi as the whole thing gets. As for action, well, what actually happens that constitutes "action"? There's nothing that involves people running around shooting at each other, no explosions, no space battles, nothing that can really be defined as "action" in the sense of the word which was intended when used to deride Universe. What you have is an episode which is essentially a set of running gags. There is even the admission that the episode is padded with improvised material because they did not have enough story for the full hour. And what happens at the end of it? They go back to the planet and talk down the guy who is doing it. Yep, that's it, they talk to him, use a bit of psychology on him to get him to change his mind.

Original or unique? Hardly. Even if we couldn't refer back to the movie "Groundhog Day", there's still "The Strange Life of Ivan Osokin" by P.D. Ouspensky, or "The Gay Science" by Friedrich Nietzsche which use the same idea of someone living over the same period of time repeatedly. Since both these books were written over a century ago, the idea is neither unique nor particularly new.

It is ironic that "Window of Opportunity" should be voted the best episode of Stargate SG1 given the flack that has been thrown at Stargate Universe for not being all the things that this episode is not. Some of what has been said is out of sheer vindictiveness, the "they cancelled Atlantis for this?" argument. Atlantis was done; it was falling into a repetative, predictable loop from which even the writers and producers could not see any escape. Unfortunately, I suspect that all these disgruntled fans have actually put a lot of people off of watching Universe simply because of the bad vibe surrounding it, and let us not forget that all of this started before the first episode had even aired. This I find rather selfish and unfair on those of us that have been watching and enjoying it.

Even these fora have demonstrated this with people turning up simply to pour derision on the show because it's not "Stargate" enough. Why exactly do prequals, sequals or spin-offs have to be anything like the thing that spawned them? Why can they not be judged on their own merits? If this show or Caprica had been stand-alone shows not connected with any other series, would either of them have been treated as harshly? If you don't like it, then move on, and let those of us who do have our fun. I happen to think the new Doctor Who stuff sucks (much prefer the old stuff), but I don't hang around in those fora berating the show at every turn, I let those who want to watch it get on with it, and I find something else to do.

As to the future, well, that's Stargate done for. Don't expect anything new in the near future. The next movie, if one gets made, is likely to be a Universe one to finish the story, and we are not likely to see a new series any time soon. All this has demonstrated is that the fans won't let Stargate break away from its original formula, so the only option is to create something which is derivative of SG1 or Atlantis again, and I somehow do not see that happening.

Jitske87

[30]Dec 19, 2010
    • level: 7
    I completely agree with you! And I'm sad that this is probably the end of the stargate franchise. And mad of course.

Kromdale

[31]Dec 19, 2010

Had hopes for this series but like most folks, just couldnt get pass the characters and slow pace. I do have to wonder about why NBC bothered to buy this station if they were going to abandon the Sci-fi aspect. I agree with others, Wrestling? Really???? Would have loved it if this channel was where sci/fi series that got cancelled on mainstream networks could find a home. Babalyon 5, Firefly, Dolls, Sarah Conorsect and a show no one else seemed to care for but I found interesting, Defying Gravity .

I do have to admit, I was getting to enjoy the show if only to see Greer and Eli parts. Greer grew on me. At first I thought he was a big bully but you learn that he isnt a bad bully, but a good bully. Eli gets the girl, but since we are dark and depressing show, of course she dies the next episode haha.

Finally, SGU while maybe too much BSG for me wasnt Caprica. Capricawas just horrible. Wont miss Caprica joining SGU in the cancelled list.

Blade1st

[34]Dec 19, 2010
    • level: 2

At the time when it started to be a Cool.

Good one SyFy. Just make another lameshow. Not something unique.

PS: Where did I put my little zet'nik'tel!

sremnes

[35]Dec 19, 2010
    • level: 22

Then the next Stargate movie needs to be a Universe movie.

someguy0830

[36]Dec 19, 2010
    • level: 27
    sremnes wrote:

Then the next Stargate movie needs to be a Universe movie.

Which, according to Mallozi, it probably would be.

SteveArmstrong

[38]Dec 19, 2010
    • level: 1

SHOCK! NOT!

sremnes

[40]Dec 20, 2010
    • level: 22

Fanboy... lol. I like all of the Stargate shows, but i am not what you call a fan. And I have no problem with people not liking a show.

What i call haters, are those that feel the need to express this in every discussion, not saying all do that. But a lot did/do.

This has been adressed by the show runners themself, and rightfully so. I dont call myself a fan of these shows, but i would not

call someone that has done this a fan of the Stargate franchise either. Opinions are good, but a hate thread like this show has,

its ridicilous and in my opinion should never been allowed. Why couldnt those that wanted to discuss hpow muh they hated SGU, do that on the

SG-1 boards ? If someone started a "how much one hated sg-1" there, would that have been allowed ? Think not.

Like i said this does not say everybody did this, but a lot of people did.

Edited on 12/20/2010 10:03am