Stargate Universe Forums

Syfy (ended 2011)

Official Stargate Universe Cancellation Thread

AvigailG

[61]Dec 24, 2010
    • level: 7

No Way!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF were they thinking? What am I gonna do without my SG dosage?

We were strung along with those long breaks between episodes, and now the longest break of all - forever?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Spinobreaker

[62]Dec 26, 2010
    • level: 10
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/stargate-empire-at-war

this is for those who need that stargate hit...
    trust me itll be big...

as for the cancelation, gateworld has said something about MGM wanting movies for gate to help it get back on its feet. And i tihnk we can look forward to another series in 5 years or so... i hope

Rumors of a reboot are also running around, but i dont think thatd happen

divinebaal

[63]Dec 27, 2010
    • level: 4

Pretty simple to see why.. there was NO zombies and NO dinosaurs.. Hence the show will never be
    interesting and cool. That is why SGU gets killed, shut down and destroyed.

All good things must end.. but WHY now, why the shows we like... well, SyFy seems to
    change into soomething else.. the sci fi is no more

LostVengeance

[64]Dec 27, 2010
    • level: 6

EdCote1 wrote:

First off: the way that the actors found out that the show was canceled. What the hell was that all about? Syfy didn't even have the decency to tell them privately first? Couldn't even send out an email to everybody? WTF? I know people make mistakes, but how do you screw up something like that? This just makes Engler and the stuffed shirts in general look like jackasses.

Next, the decision itself. You know, I could almost understand this. Maybe in a different context. I know that science fiction shows are expensive to produce, especially with a quality ensemble cast like SGU, but isn't this, you know, the Science Fiction channel? Or at least it used to be.

I'm getting sick to death of good shows being canceled while the bandwidth gets clogged with garbage. What, SyFy can try again to milk BSG but not Stargate? They can do a "reality" show about some "psychic" huckster and her wacky family? Ghost Hunters, let alone a spin off? Some guy auctioning off movie props? And WRESTLING! Network Decay! Everybody else is doing it so you have to do it too, right? Good job SyFy. Forget all about what SciFi was in the first place. Get rid of those icky geeks who were your loyal fan base; I guess we aren't good enough, even though we are a bigger and more mainstream group now than ever.

Ratings. Ah, yes, ratings. Go ahead, network executives, cast your lot with an obsolete joke of a system that was never that accurate to begin with. Base everything on a sample size that's way too small and doesn't account for how people actually watch TV. But hey, that's what sells the advertising that we all skip with our DVRs. Don't consider website traffic, DVD sales, Netflix, or merchandising as streams of revenue or measures of success. And isn't 1.5 million passable for cable? Aren't there shows on major networks faring not much better? Sure, maybe SGU wasn't pulling a 1.5 consistently, but it could do it easily enough, especially if word of the show's improvement could spread. Is SGU (which was barely promoted at all) really bleeding money from NBC Universal more than The Event, which they promoted the everloving crap out of?

When did execs become so impatient? It seems that these days most shows have less than ten episodes to post HUGE ratings or get canceled. You get more time if you have a big name writer, producer or franchise (maybe the only reason SGU got even a second season). Even so, Star Trek TNG would never have made it today. Remember how lame the first two seasons were? Remember how awesome later seasons were? Yeah, we would have been cheated out of a great show if TNG had not been allowed the time to mature. Hell, on TV Tropes TNG is the trope namer for "Growing the Beard". If that had happened, the entire Star Trek franchise would have died then and there. There never would have been DS9 or anything afterward.

I know that many Stargate fans were unhappy with the show, and I can see why. It was perhaps too much of a departure from the established tone of the other two series. But wasn't DS9 a departure from the tone of TNG? Didn't it also get off to a weak start? And it went on to become, in my opinion, the best Star Trek series of all. I don't blame the fanbase for the cancellation of SGU, at least not as much as some people do, but frankly when a fanbase is unpleaseable, then well, they won't be pleased. For those of you who are glad to see the "abomination" gone, I ask- do you really think you are more likely to get the show you want now? I think you're much more likely to get nothing. The Stargate team has nothing else in the pipeline, and won't for years. Even then, they will be in a much weaker position to negotiate with a much more hostile Comcast-owned NBC Universal. This might be the end of the Stargate franchise, at least for a long time. As much as I hated Voyager, I don't hate the people who liked it, and I certainly was glad to see Star Trek survive it. I'd like the same courtesy here.

You know what's really galling? The show was just getting good. Watch the recent episode "Malice" and tell me this is a show that deserves the axe. I dare you. Yes, SGU took some time to get a rhythm. Yes, there were some weird and even bad episodes. But not every story is going to hit the ground running and keep it up nonstop. This was generally a more pensive and even intelligent show, and that's not typical. I get that. But not every show can be the same, and even considering all of those things, the drama wasn't all that bad. Some of the acting was downright excellent, especially Robert Carlyle. The plot was just coming together. Hell, even Chloe recently became a more interesting and rounded character.

In summary, I am pissed off and energetic enough to join any effort to save the show. Sadly, I don't expect that a sufficient groundswell will emerge. More likely, the franchise fanbase is too divided and there aren't enough new fans die hard enough to pull it off. For once, I'd like to be wrong.

Absolutely phenomenal. I couldn't have said it any better myself.

CaptainHarkness

[65]Dec 28, 2010
    • level: 23

Here's an interesting piece on the Atlantis movie: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/12/atlantis-movie-shelved-indefinitely/

emiel89

[66]Dec 28, 2010
    • level: 6

Its a pity that they cancel it now. Its just getting better and better. If they would have cancelled it last season i would understand. but now that it is getting really good they cancel it. This looks like the firefly decease, i thought that they had become immune of it. But apparently they are as stupid as they where when they cancelled firefly.

Edited on 12/28/2010 12:35pm

MajLorne

[67]Dec 28, 2010
    • level: 21
    CaptainHarkness wrote:

Here's an interesting piece on the Atlantis movie: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/12/atlantis-movie-shelved-indefinitely/

That is terrible news. :sigh: Well at least that doesn't mean anything bad happens to the city-ship. As long as it isn't blown up somehow, I'm fine with that. I just hope when McKay shows up on SGU he'll give an 'update status' of Atlantis.

Kitanishi

[68]Dec 29, 2010
    • level: 9
    Well this is a big slap in the face for people who like scifi genre.

First SYFY cancels caprica(another awesome show), then SGU? and now the only good scifi remaining on SYFY is Haven...

At the same time I feel the messy and rabid fanbase of this show had to do a lot with the cancellation. I guess when you try to change the show for better, fans who are loving cheese and heroic frisky fries will revolt. Which makes me quite disappointed in so called fanbase of this show.

thescp

[69]Dec 29, 2010
    • level: 3
    Where's the petition???

thescp

[70]Dec 29, 2010
    • level: 3
    http://www.petitiononline.com/saveSGU/petition.html

hoobydictator

[71]Dec 29, 2010

thescp wrote:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/saveSGU/petition.html

Urm... You don't seriously think that will work do you?

You are questioning a management decision, and managers don't like having their decisions questioned. They're not going to change their minds because that will (at least in their eyes) make them look weak. Forget the Syfylis channel, they're done for. They should change their tag line slightly:

Syfy: Imagine Greater *

(* You'll have to because we can't)

Now the folks at MGM, on the other hand...

It's not their managers that made the decision. They are as much a victim of this as those of us who want the show to go on. The Stargate franchise has been a good source of revenue for them, so it is in their interests for it, and quite possibly Universe, to continue especially with MGM's financial problems. Now if they could be convinced to start trying to sell this show to any channel that might be interested, both domestic and international, in return for some funding, that might be rather more productive. Let's face it, the "international" bit is often forgotten. Remember that we only got Battlestar Galactica because Sky in the UK contributed to the funding; both Universal and the Sci Fi Channel (as it was then) thought it unaffordable. If something similar could be achieved, then the franchise could continue. Stargate has jumped channel before, it's just a matter of persuading MGM that it is time for it to do it again. There are folks in high places there who are fans of the franchise so, as the producers have indicated, it is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Timewhisper

[72]Dec 30, 2010
    • level: 7
    That's the last show on Syfy I watch. Once the last episode of SGU airs I'll be taking this disaster of a channel off my rotation.

DJWoodbine

[73]Dec 31, 2010
    I actually liked the new direction in the first season of SGU, yeah at first I was unsure about changing the tried and tested formula, but I like the fresh take on Stargate.

MajLorne

[74]Jan 1, 2011
    • level: 21
    Off the bat I won't deny I'm more a fan of SGA/SG1, but that's not to say I hated SGU. SGU had some good episodes here and there, but the problem was they dragged out some storylines with so much drama about the families back at home [3 episodes devoted to earth that did nothing to advance the show, lucian alliance invasion that could've been done in 2 eps].

So sure they say this is a 5 season show, but imo, if they cut out the 'slow parts', they could've done everything they wanted to in 3 seasons. That or SGU should've been a 10-ep season and they compress the storylines than to stretch things out.

kanniballl

[75]Jan 2, 2011
    • level: 18

I only watch SyFy for 5 things:

Eureka

Sanctuary

Stargate Universe

Warehouse 13

Caprica

Caprica is gone

SG Universe is going away

And I feel that Eureka became weak the last 1-2 seasons.

Meanwhile they're adding more reality TV shows like Cooking.

So theres 2.5 shows left on the station that I watch.

Aegaeon_33

[76]Jan 3, 2011
    • level: 8
    Pity - this season was actually pretty good.

tigz77uk

[77]Jan 4, 2011
    • level: 1
    I for one can't believe that they cancelled this show.

I've never been a big Stargate Fan, but was bored one evening and caught an Episode of SGU. I was hooked.. So much so that I went and bought the entire DVD set of SG-1 and Atlantis so that I would actually understand who the "ancients" were.

Having watched every episode of SG-1 I returned to SGU only to learn that they have cancelled it. How short sighted is this on behalf of SY-FY? The show has literally only just gotten going. Tigz

grizzo

[78]Jan 5, 2011
    • level: 9

Man am I dissapointed in this cancellation. I like all the Stargate family and was very impressed with difference this series showed. Tuesdays are always horrible. Would hadbeen nice if a companion show was airing before or after.

MaxWilder

[79]Jan 5, 2011
    I don't really get why people are in love with this show anyway. What is it about character torture that turns you on? There were tons of problems with taking the show "dark" as so many people here seem to love, but the thing that really pissed me off was when they gave Eli an awesome girlfriend *just* so they could immediately *kill* her. It wasn't enough that he was pining after the cute girl who preferred the jock. No, no, that's not "dark" enough. They had to actively rip his heart out. Well, it ripped my heart out too.

The show was dead to me after that. They can all suck it.

This show deserved to be canceled after the first few episodes when it was clear that they had abandoned everything SG-1 had built. Yeah, SGA had its problems, but at least they were trying. SGU just crapped all over the whole Stargate franchise, and it went on far too long.

Here's what you wack-o "dark" people don't get: It's better when it's balanced. Drama, humor. Sorrow, joy. Defeat, triumph. It isn't supposed to be "fun fun fun retarded" as one poster said. But it's just as bad to go all "drama drama slit-your-wrists". SGU was completely devoid of any kind of levity. I don't know how BSG got away with that, but simply cutting out all the lighter moments of an episode will not put your show on the same level of popularity as BSG. That show had something that caught viewer interest that will take a long time to understand. All copies have failed miserably, and it's time to stop trying. Balance is what works. Hopefully someday the networks will get a clue.

voleure

[80]Jan 5, 2011

I have to say, catching up (still finishing the first season), that I like the darker slant of this series in principle. On the other hand I find the writing just god awful (again not into the second season). To be honest, no Stargate series ever had the kind of solid writing talent it takes to make a drama function. However the humorous tone of the prior series allowed me to ignore the gaping plot inconsistencies and at times idiotic behavior of the cast (not their acting just their script). I kept thinking to myself, its like Dr. Who, a fun romp, its not meant to make sense. In that vein, I enjoyed SG1 and Atlantis. SGU exposes the writing in a serious light, painful to watch. Horrid at times. I feel sorry for the talented background people and the actors. RIP SGU.