We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Stargate Universe Forums

Syfy (ended 2011)

Official Stargate Universe Cancellation Thread

jabalong

[81]Jan 6, 2011
    • level: 4

EdCote1 wrote:

When did execs become so impatient? It seems that these days most shows have less than ten episodes to post HUGE ratings or get canceled. You get more time if you have a big name writer, producer or franchise (maybe the only reason SGU got even a second season). Even so, Star Trek TNG would never have made it today. Remember how lame the first two seasons were? Remember how awesome later seasons were? Yeah, we would have been cheated out of a great show if TNG had not been allowed the time to mature. Hell, on TV Tropes TNG is the trope namer for "Growing the Beard". If that had happened, the entire Star Trek franchise would have died then and there. There never would have been DS9 or anything afterward.

Great post, but want echo you on this point in particular. You are absolutely right in that the way shows are being decided on these days none of the later Trek shows would have lasted past their first or second seasons were they being made today.

I read one of those all-time best TV scifi lists awhle back and the author brought up a three-year rule or some such thing. From his observation many of the great scif shows of all-time only really became good or at least found their groove around the third season.

It takes time to cultivate a show. It's not just scifi, as even great shows like Seinfeld for instance were not all that great in their first couple of seasons. And with scifi, where you're often building out a whole new world or universe, it can take that much longer to really find its footing.

So why not nurture shows, particularly those like Caprica or SFU that come from strong franchises and have decent numbers. What really boggles my mind is how these show can be killed, leaving on the table so much potential for future DVD and online sales literally forever.

Well that's it for me, I'm not investing in any new shows anymore. I've decided I'd rather go back and watch long-running shows on DVD that I missed the first time and not bother with any new shows until they've got something like three years under their belts.

I actually said this to myself after I got burned by CBS with Threshold, which I thought was a promising new show. I relented though with SG Atlantis and SGU as the franchise seemed so strong, but frankly the fate of both shows has just left a bad taste in my mouth.

So next up for me? Probably Babylon 5 or Farscape.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jabalong

[82]Jan 6, 2011

PS. I've never seen the Syfy network as I don't live in North America, but judging by what I'm reading about its programming and going by its decision on cancelling shows, Syfy sounds like a pathetic excuse for a science fiction network.

A proper scifi network should be an incubator for quality shows that might otherwise get the axe on fickle general-programming networks. Instead it seems like the Syfy execs are the fickle ones with little interest in supporting strong shows and franchises for the long haul.

It's pretty depressing to me that with so many scifi fans out there and so many avenues to monetize quality shows and franchises (original broadcast, digital downloads, DVD sales, spinoff books and merchandising, possibly movies) that promising shows can't even gain a foothold on a supposed scifi network.

apspeelman

[83]Jan 6, 2011
    • level: 6

You've got to admit, the SGU series was pretty bad, although getting better there at the end. It never reached SG1 level, but neither did SGA. With SGU the Stargate team took another direction, a more dark direction.And it could have worked if the storylines weren't so borring and lame.

In my review of the "Justive" (S01E10) episode I said: "It's (SG francise)a small portion of it's former self. It's lost all identify and characteristics. All the fun is gone, all the inspiration is gone, all optimism is gone. Humanity reduced to back stabbing unworthy human sacks of flesh who depict a future which I, personally, do not want to know." And frankly my opnion hasn't changed.

So when do you decide to cancel a show?It's like a lame horse, isn't it?; when do you decide to shoot it though the head? ThisSG spinoff has always beenthat lame horse, but nethertheless I love her because of her ancestors (SG1, SGA). But it'stime to say goodbye and it hurst to see her go but,....please,....pull the trigger.

And let's try that again shall we? Throw some SG1, SGA into the mix, add some Caprica (not a lame horse!), a little bit of Indiana Jones (for historicalflavour) a little bit ofStarTrek TNG (one episode-one story filler), some character depth from BSG and finish it of with a little bit of McKay for comic relief and a new SG-X is born.Keeping that, and my favorite quote* from SG1 in mind, it should become what Science Fictions is suppose to be:

*)One of my favourite qoutes about SciFi is: (SG1: I think the 200th) "Science fiction is an existential metaphor that allows us to tell stories about a human condition. Isaac Asimov once said: "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinded critics and philosophers of today; but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

KStanf

[84]Jan 7, 2011
    Looks like perfect timing to bring back Moonbase Alpha ~ Space 1999! ... or rather 'Space 2099' I mean everything old is new again!

Woot! Woot!

iellalein

[85]Jan 7, 2011
    • level: 8

thescp wrote:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/saveSGU/petition.html

thank you.

Just one more question: where do I send the peanuts?

I'll feel a bit stupid walking to the post office here in Austria, but really, what else is there to do?

Yaspaa

[87]Jan 7, 2011
    • level: 80
    apspeelman wrote:

You've got to admit, the SGU series was pretty bad, although getting better there at the end. It never reached SG1 level, but neither did SGA. With SGU the Stargate team took another direction, a more dark direction.And it could have worked if the storylines weren't so borring and lame.

In my review of the "Justive" (S01E10) episode I said: "It's (SG francise)a small portion of it's former self. It's lost all identify and characteristics. All the fun is gone, all the inspiration is gone, all optimism is gone. Humanity reduced to back stabbing unworthy human sacks of flesh who depict a future which I, personally, do not want to know." And frankly my opnion hasn't changed.

So when do you decide to cancel a show?It's like a lame horse, isn't it?; when do you decide to shoot it though the head? ThisSG spinoff has always beenthat lame horse, but nethertheless I love her because of her ancestors (SG1, SGA). But it'stime to say goodbye and it hurst to see her go but,....please,....pull the trigger.

And let's try that again shall we? Throw some SG1, SGA into the mix, add some Caprica (not a lame horse!), a little bit of Indiana Jones (for historicalflavour) a little bit ofStarTrek TNG (one episode-one story filler), some character depth from BSG and finish it of with a little bit of McKay for comic relief and a new SG-X is born.Keeping that, and my favorite quote* from SG1 in mind, it should become what Science Fictions is suppose to be:

*)One of my favourite qoutes about SciFi is: (SG1: I think the 200th) "Science fiction is an existential metaphor that allows us to tell stories about a human condition. Isaac Asimov once said: "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinded critics and philosophers of today; but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Nah, SG got lame around season 6 and SGU had sporadic outings of lameness. It had gotten to the point where all you had to do was read the summary to know what was going on, it was all very shallow. SGU just removed all the silliness and took the franchise in a more adult direction, and all the shallow rats jumped ship.

ibnuts

[88]Jan 10, 2011
    • level: 2

I don't get the people that say it was too dark. I enjoyed SG and SGA, but the acting in both (especially the latter) was terrible. SGU was darker, but not excessively so. However, the acting in it was far superior to its predecessors. Unfortunately, good acting and story lines aren't enough for a dumb American viewing audience that favors shows like Survivor, Dancing with the Stars, and American Idol. I am an American, so I can say this; that less than 30% of Americans even have bachelors degrees backs it up. But I digress...

One thing that a lot of the people commenting here don't get though is that "alternate revenue streams" (i.e. iTunes, DVDs, etc) do not have any effect on Syfy. The networks never see any of that money, it all goes to the production company; in this case, that's MGM. So Syfy can only make their decision based on the ratings, which are admittedly flawed (i.e. ridiculously low Nielsen sample sizes). We'll continue to see this until Nielsen creates a better system. Perhaps if more people "pull the plug" in the future, the networks will demand that Nielsen begins including accurate assessments of people viewing online. For instance, they could include surveys prior to watching each show of who is watching, what their ages are etc.

For now though, I'm done with Syfy. I realize they've made a business decision. But since their only show I can bear is Sanctuary, and that only when I am otherwise bored-to-tears, I will be making the decision to not watch their programming any longer. Since I am not part of a Nielsen family though, I doubt they care.

kanniballl

[89]Jan 10, 2011
    • level: 18

jabalong wrote:

PS. I've never seen the Syfy network as I don't live in North America, but judging by what I'm reading about its programming and going by its decision on cancelling shows, Syfy sounds like a pathetic excuse for a science fiction network.

A proper scifi network should be an incubator for quality shows that might otherwise get the axe on fickle general-programming networks. Instead it seems like the Syfy execs are the fickle ones with little interest in supporting strong shows and franchises for the long haul.

It's pretty depressing to me that with so many scifi fans out there and so many avenues to monetize quality shows and franchises (original broadcast, digital downloads, DVD sales, spinoff books and merchandising, possibly movies) that promising shows can't even gain a foothold on a supposed scifi network.

At one point (a long time ago) the SciFi channel was quite good. They started out by airing a lot of the classic stuff in the mid 1990s: Buck Rogers, original Battlestar Galactica, etc.

Then they created a bunch of unique or at least quirky shows: Farscape, the Invisible Man, the Chronicle, First Wave, etc. This was late 1990s, very early 2000s.

Things were looking up, and the SciFi channel was my favorite thing on the air.

Then they cancelled their shows and went along with showing older content or made-for-TV B movies (with a sci fi or fantasy spin). They cancelled some of their funny / quirky shows because they got a new Exec that didn't like the humor. Farscape limped on and was cancelled; Claudia Black was an actress on Farscape (and eventually Stargate SG-1) and was pretty disgusted with how the channel turned out.

Then they tried to make a comeback with Stargate SG-1 (which they got from Showtime) and some other attempts at shows like Eureka and Stargate Atlantis and airing the Battlestar Galactica remake and eventually bought the web series "Sanctuary."

Things were looking up again for a little.

It's been on a see-saw for a while now, some might say he station took another downward dive after they changed their name to the SyFy Channel so they could trademark the name.

Since then they've been slowly adding more and more reality TV: wrestling, ghost chasers, etc.

Sure, they created Warehouse 13, decided to license Doctor Who reruns, breathed some life into Merlin, and are doing a remake of Being Human (for some reason), but it really isn't a great channel anymore.

Unfortunately, in the US our science fiction TV is somewhat limited. The TV networks tend to cancel science fiction series prematurely, and the other cable channels don't bother with it much.

It's barely a science fiction channel anymore, and there are tons of articles making fun of them for it. For example, this fall they're adding even more reality TV (including a cooking show) and with recent cancellation

Edited on 01/10/2011 8:57am

voleure

[90]Jan 11, 2011

ibnuts wrote:

I don't get the people that say it was too dark. I enjoyed SG and SGA, but the acting in both (especially the latter) was terrible. SGU was darker, but not excessively so. However, the acting in it was far superior to its predecessors. Unfortunately, good acting and story lines aren't enough for a dumb American viewing audience that favors shows like Survivor, Dancing with the Stars, and American Idol. I am an American, so I can say this; that less than 30% of Americans even have bachelors degrees backs it up. But I digress...

I enjoy the atmosphere of this series too. I agree the acting is far superior as well. However I keep imagining the actors reading their next script and shaking their heads. The script writing has not improved from the prior series and that I believe is the real downfall of SGU. The characters are well acted but their dialogue can be just awful. They do things that make no sense or more often idiotic. I find it impossible to follow the story arc. I get the feeling, unlike other shows where the arc is crafted months prior to working out each episode, that these guys are pulling the "big" story out of the air as they go! With such a bleak serious tone the show doesn't hold together. No comic cushion. Confusing is the kindest thing I can say. I am not pulled along wanting to see how it turns out. I really don't care. (Unlike Battlestar, Farscape, Firefly, Babylon 5, TSCC, V) Thank god V is around to watch. Intelligent Sci-fi is becoming scarce. :/

nobull80

[91]Jan 12, 2011

Oh come on, still aliens such as furlings from SG-1 that we haven't encountered yet, come on people finish the story

torrijos

[92]Jan 12, 2011
    • level: 16
    voleure wrote:
    Thank god V is around to watch. Intelligent Sci-fi is becoming scarce.

V?!

voleure

[93]Jan 12, 2011

torrijos wrote:
    voleure wrote:
    Thank god V is around to watch. Intelligent Sci-fi is becoming scarce.
    V?!

It has its flaws (some of the CG for instance) but there is a coherent story! I believe good sci-fi is in the writing. You can live with so so writing when the show is goofy (Dr. Who, SG-1). In SG-1 the actors were often making fun of the story while in the story lol. Anderson did this throughout, even Shanks did this later on. What other big budget serial Sci-fi is there left, not on the chopping block?

Edited on 01/12/2011 9:40am
    Edited 2 total times.

josh_way

[94]Jan 12, 2011
    • level: 1

i know im completely gutted to as if u could cancel it after they cancel atlantis just a year or 2 ago i just hope that they find founding and realise there is hundreds of thousands of people who love it and dont want it to be cancelled

JanelleRamos

[95]Jan 14, 2011
    • level: 1

Agreed that was one of my favorite show's as well first they cancel Atlantis now Universe! I saw we protest and Protest hard! the Reason Syfy shows are not doing well is because not everyone has cable and how are you going to put a wrestling show on a syfy network that makes no sense.

http://savestargateuniverse.blogspot.com/2011/01/found-out-today.html

Pantagruelo

[96]Jan 15, 2011
    • level: 5

I just knew it would come to this...

When SGU launched i was skeptical.

Mostly because i feared it would be another SG1 remake like Atlantis. I liked Atlantis in the end, but let's be honest who of us didn't think they just copied the O'Neill character and put him in a younger body (shepherd) while the rest of the show followed the same exact routine that killed SG1 in the end. (OH NOEZ TEH ALIENZ IZ COAMING TO DEZTROY UZ!!! OH LOOK WE KILLED TEIHR ARMADA WIFF 5 GUIZZ!!! YEEEEEEY!!)

But i was pleasantly surprised by it's dark, adult and "realistic" plot and script, he acting was of course excellent and for the first time in Stargate history the animations and effects were actually pretty viewable, almost great!

I had such high hopes for this show, especially after the first half of the second season, when things really picked up speed and useless characters like Chloe started molding into the story and started becoming interesting.

But of course it had to be canceled prematurely, without being given the chance of building a fan base... It's all been said before, but it needs to be said again: Great Sci-Fi shows with big fan bases don't start out as such, they need time to develop and grow!!! How can the heads of a channel that claims to be the Sci-Fi Channel be so ignorant? I bet my BSG Collector's Box Set that none of those fracking execs even watched SGU! Let alone any Sci-Fi shows at all!

Well it's time to say goodbye. A big thank you to all the Actors, Writers and Crew who committed themselves to making SGU a great show. Unfortunately SGU is like a flower that got stomped on just before it was about to bloom...

R.I.P.

BarryWeen3

[97]Jan 15, 2011
    • level: 14
    Pantagruelo wrote:

I just knew it would come to this...

But of course it had to be canceled prematurely, without being given the chance of building a fan base... It's all been said before, but it needs to be said again: Great Sci-Fi shows with big fan bases don't start out as such, they need time to develop and grow!!! How can the heads of a channel that claims to be the Sci-Fi Channel be so ignorant? I bet my BSG Collector's Box Set that none of those fracking execs even watched SGU! Let alone any Sci-Fi shows at all!

R.I.P.

Well, see there is your big mistake...

You called them a Sci-Fi channel, they used to be.

But don't forget, they rebranded themselves SyFy, so they could bring in reality shows and wrestling, and not be limited in doing only Sci-Fi shows.

So, yes, they used to claim to be a Sci-Fi channel, but they no longer claim that now.

What was the catch phrase of the channel, oh yes, Imagine Greater, that probably no longer applies now, it should be changed to "Imagine anything but sci-fi on our rebranded channel"

dougieee7

[98]Jan 16, 2011

I just noticed on SyFi`s schedule that sanctuary is not due back till April. But rumour has it that this will be a 20 ep series, why is it that syfi feel the need to slice 20 eps in half and put a 4 month gap in the middle?

I really dont think that this helps the shows that are struggling, if you have a so so attitude about a show and then they take it away for 4 months, chances are that you are not going to make the effort to keep track of its schedule, nor be particularly bothered when it re-airs.

Chuck, Big bang and fringe are all due back this week, which is great because if other networks followed sy fi`s example the new year would be bloody boring. Im pretty sure a 4 month break on shows doesnt help matters at all

BarryWeen3

[99]Jan 16, 2011
    • level: 14
    dougieee7 wrote:

I just noticed on SyFi`s schedule that sanctuary is not due back till April. But rumour has it that this will be a 20 ep series, why is it that syfi feel the need to slice 20 eps in half and put a 4 month gap in the middle?

I really dont think that this helps the shows that are struggling, if you have a so so attitude about a show and then they take it away for 4 months, chances are that you are not going to make the effort to keep track of its schedule, nor be particularly bothered when it re-airs.

Chuck, Big bang and fringe are all due back this week, which is great because if other networks followed sy fi`s example the new year would be bloody boring. Im pretty sure a 4 month break on shows doesnt help matters at all

This has been SyFy's pattern in the past and USA does the same with its shows too, don't think the breaks are as long, but still. One of the reasons has to be not wanting to compete with network programming.

slimreturns

[100]Jan 16, 2011

I'm done with Scyfy or however the hell they spell it now. When is the US gonna get a REAL SCIENCE
    FICTION channel that actually supports its shows and doesn't freak out when a show provokes its
    viewers to use their brains from time to time or understand how character development is integral to
    developing the psychology for character behavior? Any of the shows they've renewed I can "watch"
    while playing video games or reading a book (that's right, some of us read also) and not miss any of
    the plots. So apparently since becoming the home for "rasslin" their overall market strategy has
    been to dumb down their complete lineup of shows to appeal to 13 year-old John Cena fans.

This isn't even about SGU any more. This is about the future of Sci-fi television in the US. The
    only possible hope for Sci-Fi in the US is that a network comes along with big money backing run by
    Sci-fi fans for Sci-fi fans, and using the terms "big money backing" and "sci-fi fans" when
    discussing the US television industry is..... well, futile. It would be nice if a network like
    Showtime (which is where our beloved Stargate television universe got its start) or its parent
    company CBS would have the balls to do something similar to what Rainbow Media Holdings and
    Cablevision did with AMC. Establish or alter a pre-existing network and REALLY dedicate it to
    SCIENCE FICTION. I truly believe that until that day happens, there's no point in getting involved
    in any intelligent show with a planned long story arch. SOMEONE SAVE OUR SCI-FI!

http://www.petitiononline.com/saveSGU/petition.html

Edited on 01/17/2011 12:45am