Stargate Universe Forums

Syfy (ended 2011)

Official Stargate Universe Cancellation Thread

zzbeach

[101]Jan 17, 2011
    • level: 12

How in the world can you say this show wasn't given enough time to develop a fanbase? It had the luxury of a 14 year fanbase. SGU had the luxury of SG1 and Atlantis setting the table for it. It had an opening of over 2 million viewers. Then the show lost viewers almost every episode. Not enough time, my butt. SGU had a solid foundation but the writing and stories eroded away that foundation. I know many here liked it but when half the fanbase leaves you can't blame SyFy for the cancellation.

Edited on 01/17/2011 3:00pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MajLorne

[102]Jan 17, 2011
    • level: 21
    dougieee7 wrote:

I just noticed on SyFi`s schedule that sanctuary is not due back till April. But rumour has it that this will be a 20 ep series, why is it that syfi feel the need to slice 20 eps in half and put a 4 month gap in the middle?

I really dont think that this helps the shows that are struggling, if you have a so so attitude about a show and then they take it away for 4 months, chances are that you are not going to make the effort to keep track of its schedule, nor be particularly bothered when it re-airs.

Chuck, Big bang and fringe are all due back this week, which is great because if other networks followed sy fi`s example the new year would be bloody boring. Im pretty sure a 4 month break on shows doesnt help matters at all

I'd rather they have a big gap than every other month having the episodes reaired. I only wished network shows aired reruns of the same episodes after 1am in case people missed it when it aired. I know some shows are airing on weekends, but how often is anyone watching stuff then?

trekkie778

[103]Jan 19, 2011
    • level: 7

zzbeach wrote:

How in the world can you say this show wasn't given enough time to develop a fanbase? It had the luxury of a 14 year fanbase. SGU had the luxury of SG1 and Atlantis setting the table for it. It had an opening of over 2 million viewers. Then the show lost viewers almost every episode. Not enough time, my butt. SGU had a solid foundation but the writing and stories eroded away that foundation. I know many here liked it but when half the fanbase leaves you can't blame SyFy for the cancellation.

Agreed 100%. All those people here that told others that didn't like that weeks' episode "If you don't like it, stop watching" - guess what, obviously enough did and the show got canned. Nice.

Edited on 01/19/2011 7:27pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Yaspaa

[105]Jan 20, 2011
    • level: 79
    zzbeach wrote:

As did following episodes for SG1 and SGA, first episodes always start high. SGU didn't have the luxury of SG1 and SGA setting the table for it either, that table was old and tired, it was going for something completely different, setting a new kind of legacy, and I've seen the petitions on the net to save and keep it dead, the save petition has 2000 votes and the kill it petition has 44!! yes 44. SGU did a fine job giving us some real feelings of danger for a change. it's an awesome show, and now that MGM has been saved who knows.

zzbeach

[106]Jan 20, 2011

SGU is like the spoiled kid who inherited his dad's profitable business and drives into the ditch. The spoiled kid doesn't blame himself for all his bad decisions ever, no no. Must be all the exterior forces out there sabotaging it. After all, dad's money making business was tired and worn out. I was trying to get new hip and trendy customers and to heck with those old customers. SGU=New Coke.

Edited on 01/20/2011 6:40am
    Edited 3 total times.

Yaspaa

[107]Jan 21, 2011
    zzbeach wrote:

SGU is like the spoiled kid who inherited his dad's profitable business and drives into the ditch. The spoiled kid doesn't blame himself for all his bad decisions ever, no no. Must be all the exterior forces out there sabotaging it. After all, dad's money making business was tired and worn out. I was trying to get new hip and trendy customers and to heck with those old customers. SGU=New Coke.

Ha, it was already in the ditch, are you still here?

zzbeach

[108]Jan 21, 2011

What fans of SGU must realize that you have 10 episodes left. Instead of boycotts, petitions and verbal bashing of Atlantis fans, you should be trying to increase viewership for these last 10 episodes. If you increase the viewers by an average of 500,000 you may be able to get a true series finale dvd movie. That'll make it even with the final season of Atlantis. Even more viewers could get the series renewed. No amount of signatures on an online petition will matter if less than a million people watch the last 10 episodes.

Edited on 01/21/2011 6:38am
    Edited 2 total times.

torrijos

[109]Jan 21, 2011
    • level: 16
    Let's be real here! The problem is whois willing to pay for SyFy channel when there is barely any science fiction on it anymore.

I don't care for ghost stories or witches and such I love big spaceships, for they imply civilizations incredibly advanced and that idea of things going on out there unbeknownst to us was exiting.

SyFy, as a channel, has being redirecting itself to a lot of TV-reality type shows, reruns of REALLY old shows, Catch, and fantasy shows, all nice and sweet but not that valuable for those looking for Science fiction.

In that light I would bet that a lot of people have been watching the last few seasons of SG-1, BSG and SGA through torrent download (because SyFy like others network didn't react quick enough to legitimate internet stores offering like iTunes).

Even worst most people in the world tend to have a sufficient grasp in english to watch downloaded shows without translation or with the subtitles that show up only hours after the torrent release, and again networks like SyFy, who invest a ton of money to make shows like SGU can kiss their return goodbye as they won't sell those episodes with official subtitles in stores like iTunes at the same date worldwide.

So yeah ratings have been decreasing for years and will continue to do so, has TV will become ultimately an on-demand business, the chances of SyFy surviving the change are not good (Alleluia!) but maybe we'll finally get to see Science fiction shows complete and un-altered rendering since the public will be directly paying for it (Firefly, Dollhouse, Terminator, SGU were all decent science fiction shows (not fantasy) and deserved better than the treatment they got).

Yaspaa

[110]Jan 21, 2011
    zzbeach wrote:

What fans of SGU must realize that you have 10 episodes left. Instead of boycotts, petitions and verbal bashing of Atlantis fans, you should be trying to increase viewership for these last 10 episodes. If you increase the viewers by an average of 500,000 you may be able to get a true series finale dvd movie. That'll make it even with the final season of Atlantis. Even more viewers could get the series renewed. No amount of signatures on an online petition will matter if less than a million people watch the last 10 episodes.

Don't try and make out you Atlantis fans are being bashed, you are the one on the SGU page bashing the show and ultimately its fans. 30 episodes in you're still here with the same old crap, there's a whiners page for that you know.

zzbeach

[111]Jan 23, 2011

Yas ole buddy, I just gave you a possible recipe to get SGU renewed in some form. And all you'vegot is this bile? What you need to do is start a charmcampaign to increase viewership for the last 10 episodes. How will your slamming Atlantis fans get this done? Now for all the rest of you, don't petition the suits. Start contacting sci-fi fans who may have tuned out. Get them to tune back in. Get the ratings up. Sanctuary was just renewed with okay ratings. You may not get a season three but a nice gain in the viewers may get a dvd movie.

shutthegate

[112]Jan 24, 2011
    • level: 1

It is a real shame, can't wait for the last 10 episodes, I especially love the songs. If you're a fan of the songs too, check this out http://stargateuniversesongs.weebly.com

Yaspaa

[113]Jan 25, 2011
    zzbeach wrote:

Yas ole buddy, I just gave you a possible recipe to get SGU renewed in some form. And all you'vegot is this bile? What you need to do is start a charmcampaign to increase viewership for the last 10 episodes. How will your slamming Atlantis fans get this done? Now for all the rest of you, don't petition the suits. Start contacting sci-fi fans who may have tuned out. Get them to tune back in. Get the ratings up. Sanctuary was just renewed with okay ratings. You may not get a season three but a nice gain in the viewers may get a dvd movie.

I'll just get the viewership up then shall I, problem solved. I don't bash Atlantis lovers I bash SGU haters, like yourself, who have nothing better to do.

marcain

[114]Jan 25, 2011

Cant Believe theyre cancelling yet another show, are they nothing but money grabbing SOB's.

I am from the UK and can honestly say this is one of the best scifi's to hit our screens in many years.

I refered my friends to StarGate Universe, who said "what another F***ing Stargate show lmao",

they eventually took my advice after season one finished airing,

watched 3 episodes back to back,

then went out and bought yes bought, with hard earned cash the entire StarGate back catalouge to watch to bring them up to speed with the entire story to date.

Can i say that again i think so,

THE ENTIRE BACK CATALOUGE!!!

I cant think of any single show that ever had that effect on my friends!!! EVER.

Now they wait, like me every week with baited breath waiting for a new dose of our newest addiction.

Like most shows you expect the odd crappy episode and dont mind sitting through them waiting with eager anticipation for the next installment,

No wonder people do because when you see it thats all you can talk about for days until your next instalment.

Well now what...

Who knows...

Davey420

[115]Jan 27, 2011

http://www.petitiononline.com/saveSGU/petition.html

Yaspaa

[116]Jan 28, 2011
    2200 signatures, 200 more than last time I looked.

PulsatingQuasar

[117]Jan 28, 2011
    • level: 2
    Just read this. I can only say, about time. This show was so far off the original 2 series that they could take out the 5 minutes of a Stargate and call it something else.

The inability to turn around season 2 to something that had more appeal to the large group of old fans cost them the third season. This is in a large part due to the SyFy channel that doesn't want to create a real science fiction show anymore.

We now have to go to other channels for that like V and Fringe.

Please don't create a TV movie for this if you're gona create it the same like the series. Please finish Stargate Atlantis in a TV movie. Or better yet, bring back the series. Cut down the amount of episodes in a season to 14 so there is enough budget to make them all interesting.

Yaspaa

[120]Jan 29, 2011
    Yeah, bring back the old Stargate, flog that dead horse a big longer, genius.