TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Stargate Universe Forums

Syfy (ended 2011)

Official Stargate Universe Cancellation Thread

MrBovineOrdure

[121]Feb 2, 2011
    • level: 6

I like dark;

BSG, Caprica, SGU

I like light;

Eureka, Sanctuary, Haven, Warehouse 13

SG-1 was great but would get goofy sometimes. That's OK by me. It's nice when a show doesn't take itself too seriously and given that they had so many seasons, they could afford to do so. I own all the DVDs of this one.

SG-A I watched it but only first-run. It was a poor retread of SG-1 with the same mix of characters. Just different people playing them. I will not bother buying the DVDs

SG-U - I love it when they take a known universe and set it on it's head. It's one of the reasons I loved BSG so much. Yes the story was slow to develop. I'm patient. It's sad that it's been canceled. It had a lot of potencial.

But from a Syfi angle, I agree with a lot of folks around here. There's very little interesting sci-fi left. It's one of only two reasons I subscribed to the DISH network. Comedy central was the other reason and that was only for South Park.

I can get South park the day after it airs at their website.

I can get any SyFi stuff I want the following day at HULU.

I no longer subscribe to DISH.

So sad.

Mr BO

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jshahmiran

[122]Feb 2, 2011
    • level: 1

The syfy channel is going to hell. Well it still as some great shows the wrestling, reality shows and now a new cooking show have no place an this once great channel. As for all you SG:U Haters that say the show did not stay close enough to cannon, i sayget over your selves.

protonefrid

[123]Feb 2, 2011
    • level: 8

this show started really good then went downhill and then came back again and no mater how big fans we are we should admit it...what sucks is that they killed it just when it was beginning to show how awesome it could be.

and another thing... people might not agree with me but I think the first mistake the producers made was to make this show part of the stargate francise. they don't use the gates much anyway and if it had been an independent new show (with minor changes to how they got on the ship and how they go on planets) I think it would have had much better ratings and it would have stood on its own as a great new original series. But as it was set in the Stargate universe, we kept expecting aliens (because we already knew that they we out there) and action and for people to use the stargate more often.

_Dargor_

[124]Feb 3, 2011

As a Stargate fan I'm both glad and pissed, glad because they realized trying to merge with the likes of BSG and One Tree hill was one retarded idea, pissed because this means they won't be releasing another 'real" Stargate series for years.

jdbond

[125]Feb 4, 2011
    I am a huge sci-fi fan and I disliked this show big time. I dislike Caprica too. There used to be music on MTV I hear..

MajLorne

[126]Feb 4, 2011
    • level: 21
    protonefrid wrote:

this show started really good then went downhill and then came back again and no mater how big fans we are we should admit it...what sucks is that they killed it just when it was beginning to show how awesome it could be.

and another thing... people might not agree with me but I think the first mistake the producers made was to make this show part of the stargate francise. they don't use the gates much anyway and if it had been an independent new show (with minor changes to how they got on the ship and how they go on planets) I think it would have had much better ratings and it would have stood on its own as a great new original series. But as it was set in the Stargate universe, we kept expecting aliens (because we already knew that they we out there) and action and for people to use the stargate more often.

Now that I totally agree 100%. Had this been a different series all on its own, I don't think there would be anyone complaining. The thing is with 15 seasons worth of SG1/SGA, it's already set up that the show is fun 'leave your brain at the door' entertainment. The whole 180 with the drama and character flaws was a major contrast to those series and of course it will piss off the loyal viewers over the premise of getting new viewers. the loyal fans were betrayed by this show. That plus this show started just after SGA got canned. It's not like BSG where they had a few decades in b/w where people are likely too young to care about the differences.
    SGU might've worked best if it was not an SG show or if it aired like 5 years after SGA or maybe became totally seperate from the established characters and history of the SG tv franchise.

jrsgalaxy

[127]Feb 5, 2011
    • level: 14
    MajLorne wrote:
    protonefrid wrote:

Now that I totally agree 100%. Had this been a different series all on its own, I don't think there would be anyone complaining. The thing is with 15 seasons worth of SG1/SGA, it's already set up that the show is fun 'leave your brain at the door' entertainment. The whole 180 with the drama and character flaws was a major contrast to those series and of course it will piss off the loyal viewers over the premise of getting new viewers. the loyal fans were betrayed by this show. That plus this show started just after SGA got canned. It's not like BSG where they had a few decades in b/w where people are likely too young to care about the differences.
    SGU might've worked best if it was not an SG show or if it aired like 5 years after SGA or maybe became totally seperate from the established characters and history of the SG tv franchise.
    I don't think any of that would've helped. The truth is the show was moving way too slow because it was trying to be too realistic. And I'm sorry but I watch Sci-fi for it's science and fiction aspect of it. After it's low ratings the first season, they did try and improve on the pace the second season but it was too late by then. I personally thought it was finally getting good. Maybe if it hadn't gotten behind the first season, it might've made it. IDK. Not everyone has the same levels of patience.

Spinobreaker

[128]Feb 6, 2011
    • level: 10
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtHusm7Yzd4

share this link around, get everyone to watch this run, the more that watch the better the ratings the greater (all be it still non-existant) chance it might get an 11th hour saving grace...

MajLorne

[129]Feb 8, 2011
    • level: 21

jrsgalaxy wrote:
    I don't think any of that would've helped. The truth is the show was moving way too slow because it was trying to be too realistic. And I'm sorry but I watch Sci-fi for it's science and fiction aspect of it. After it's low ratings the first season, they did try and improve on the pace the second season but it was too late by then. I personally thought it was finally getting good. Maybe if it hadn't gotten behind the first season, it might've made it. IDK. Not everyone has the same levels of patience.
    Hem, I do agree about that. As I've said in other threads, "I'm not against the darker aspect, but the long characters on earth only fluff are stuff I hate". They wasted a few episodes on earth than what was going on at the ship. I can stand the loss of the humor and everything wrapped up in a single ep stuff, but the character drama that eats up entire episodes were my main problems with this show and I'm kinda tollerant of it. but to a casual fan, they aren't going to stick around long for that hence the low ratings.

2nd Season had some nice episodes and did start to get better like now with these ursini aliens, but just a little too late. This midseason finale should've been more a season 1 finale and the LA should've been the season 1 midseason finale. If they had focused mostly on the action and less on drama, I think Syfy could've picked up a season 3.

No slam on Caprica, but after the 10th ep, I didn't even bother watching the 2nd half of the show and even the burn off marathon I only skimmed thru the episodes than to watch them entirely. Call me less 'sophisticated', but I'd prefer more action over drama. Drama would work best on a soap opera channel.

Edited on 02/08/2011 10:52pm

hoobydictator

[130]Feb 9, 2011
    • level: 4

MajLorne wrote:

jrsgalaxy wrote:
    Hem, I do agree about that. As I've said in other threads, "I'm not against the darker aspect, but the long characters on earth only fluff are stuff I hate". They wasted a few episodes on earth than what was going on at the ship. I can stand the loss of the humor and everything wrapped up in a single ep stuff, but the character drama that eats up entire episodes were my main problems with this show and I'm kinda tollerant of it. but to a casual fan, they aren't going to stick around long for that hence the low ratings.

2nd Season had some nice episodes and did start to get better like now with these ursini aliens, but just a little too late. This midseason finale should've been more a season 1 finale and the LA should've been the season 1 midseason finale. If they had focused mostly on the action and less on drama, I think Syfy could've picked up a season 3.

No slam on Caprica, but after the 10th ep, I didn't even bother watching the 2nd half of the show and even the burn off marathon I only skimmed thru the episodes than to watch them entirely. Call me less 'sophisticated', but I'd prefer more action over drama. Drama would work best on a soap opera channel.

I'm probably the other way around in that I can find that too much action gets dull. It's why I have not spent any time in the cinema or watching movies over the last ten years or so; the Hollywood machine has too much of a propensity for assuming that bigger and better effects equals bigger and better movies when they could actually do with getting a decent script for a change.

I do not necessarily see why drama has to equal soap opera. I certainly do not see the reason why either Universe or Caprica have had to suffer this label, and I would not compare either to the kind of banal content that the average soap opera contains. Both shows set out to tell long running story arcs which I find a lot more interesting than short term arcs or single episode stories (not that these are necessarily bad things). It's why something like Babylon 5 had appeal to me. Yes, it started looking out like single episodes, but you get to "And the Sky Full of Stars" and there is the sudden realisation that there is a little more going on. These types of shows do rely upon building up elements of the story over time with reveals at certain points, but this can absolutely be worth the wait and even a very small amount of information can take you by surprise and change your perception of where the story is going. For example, there is a moment at the end of episode 14 of Caprica that lasts seconds where Lacy and a Cylon share a glance, but in that moment you suddenly connect a load of things together and realise the influence and power that character has.

So far, I don't really think that Universe has quite managed to pull a moment like that, but I certainly would not describe it as bad as some have made it out to be. There has been a tendancy to go for the obvious in places. The season 1 ending and conclusion, and the mid-season 2 finale have be written as big action suspense cliffhangers which I find does not really work terribly well as you know they're always going to get out of it. The "Darkness" / "Light" two parter needed a minor character disputing Rush's and Young's judgement that the ship was going to crash into the sun as it was clear midway through the first episode what was going to happen. And then there was "Cloverdale", clearly a padding episode.

Overall, I do not have a problem with the way in which either Universe or Caprica have been told. I see and understand why both have been written the way they have, and I think it is a shame that they have been canned before their conclusion.

Ouji-San

[131]Feb 10, 2011
    so is it really canceled?

well this is BS.

Was getting good. THe only thing im enjoying on SyFy is Being Human US version.

But its still nto SciFi to me... Where is my Space exploration stuff god dam u.

zzbeach

[132]Feb 11, 2011
    • level: 12

Stargate producers headed for The Transporter TV series.

Looks like Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie are joining Robert Cooper in the new series called The Transporter. These 3 guys were the brains behind SGU so a 3rd season looks even more doubtful now. Check out the link below for the article on Gateworld.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2011/02/stargate-producers-headed-for-the-transporter-tv-series/

gatephilosopher

[133]Feb 12, 2011
    • level: 3

I think the thing all you guys (the ones who complain about the darkness of the show, how different it is from SG1/SGA) is that you're not getting what the premise of the show was. "They unlock the 9th chevron and it sends them across the universe to a ship built by the Ancients" while accurate, is incomplete.

The main plot driver is the fact that this group of people that arrived on the ship WERE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THE ONES GOING ON AN EXPEDITION TO IT! They were the team that unlocked the chevron. Even in the Pilot "Air" they clearly spell it out, "we get a lock, we send a probe, if it's viable, we send a team PROPERLY EQUIPPED (and that includes PERSONNEL) through the gate to investigate".

It is dark, and there is drama, and angst, and petty rivalries, and casual sex with different partners under the glow of an ENTIRELY NEW FTL technology (which is an expansion of the mythology/canon worth all those people complaining that it did nothing to advance the world of the Stargate to just take a seat and let someone who actually pays attention to these things take the floor), because these are, for all intents and purposes, a group of 'normal-everyday' people (or as close as you can be being a member of the SGC or IOA) and they were thrust into a hazardous mission, with unfamiliar technology, in a completely unfamiliar area of space, and all they want is to get back to Earth....which isn't likely to happen.

The Stargate (for those who complain that it isn't active in EVERY shot of EVERY episode) gets used as much as it can be expected to under those conditions and in that storyline. They JUST gained the ability to be able to stop the ship, or adjust navigation, so before that the gate was strictly under the limitations imposed by the ship being in FTL 90% of the time (which means the gate can't be used) and under a 12-hour time constraint (on average) for when it could. You can't plan and execute big off-world (or off-ship) missions when a condition that is always hanging over your head is that if you don't get back in time (of which there is never enough for a feasible mission anyways, other than basic, quick recon) you are stuck and can't even hold onto the long-stretch hope of the Destiny being able to get back to Earth.

For those who are going to complain about how the show was such a departure, and this and how that, and why not there, and stupid that, you clearly seem to have forgotten the entire premise of the show, the COMPLETE PREMISE, which, to it's credit (what little it is due) SyFy threw in our faces for that entire summer between the end of Atlantis and the premiere of Universe. If you are disappointed in what the show IS, then you clearly weren't paying attention in the first place and don't deserve to tie up everyone else while you rant without foundation.

The show was good. It was executed in exactly the way it had promised all along it would be. If you don't like it, for the reasons most state for not liking it, I don't know why you even started watching it because they never tried to cover up what the show was going to be, how it was going to look, where the focus of the storytelling would be, and what those stories would be about.

zzbeach

[134]Feb 12, 2011
    • level: 12

Hey gatephilosopher, weather or not people complained about the show is irrelevant. Many SG1 and Atlantis fans did exactly what you said they should do. They stopped watching it and the ratings tanked. That's why it's been cancelled. Berating others won't get the show renewed or get a proper ending.

torrijos

[135]Feb 14, 2011
    • level: 16
    The things is a lot of others factors apply to ratings, like the fact that people grew up, which day the show plays, which season of the year the show plays, and maybe the fact that for the few rare gems on the SyFy network worth watching there is a lot of c*ap, so a lot of people have to ask themselves "is this channel worth it?".

I believe the loss in ratings is just a normal evolution of TV audience due to the accessibility of said shows on the Internet, the fact that people get to download the shows they like and watch them whenever they want without commercials breaks or other annoyances.

The SyFy network is a small enough network that these changes in the trade are gonna bleed them dry. And that is the things the network executives should have been thinking about, how to get paid.

A lot of you might not know that SG-1 used to be translated and broadcast in France and other european countries, but more recently SGA barely made it for a season (or two) and only the mini-serie of BSG made it Why wasn't SyFy able to market its own expensive (relative to the network) shows, in those places where there was a market prior? Simply because most broadcast channels in europe have turned to locally produced reality TV or grand american classics (irony) like CSIs (almost every single day you can catch a few old episodes of it) or NCIS (and that's basically it).

That is a lot of cash SyFy has lost and it had nothing to do with ratings in the US.
    But the executive haven't still adapted, most europeans watch the shows they like from torrents downloaded the day after they air in the US.
    A fraction (big or small who knows?) of those people would be ready to pay a fee similar to what's available on digital stores like Apple's iTunes if only it was available to them on the same day, except it isn't europeans usually have to wait months for whatever reasons turning more potential customers to illegal downloads.

In the end SyFy channel market went from an international to national one, and the returns shrunk accordingly. So when they produce expensive shows, with large sets, and a lot of CGI, they have to be immediately successful or the channel isn't going to be able to bear the investment. I honestly believe the next BSG prequel is going to be their last foray into Science fiction that requires sets, turning more towards shows with terrestrial-like surroundings (Warehouse 13, Being Human, Eureka, Haven), or full blown green screen (Sanctuary).

No more (add?) Space for us.

pavlosnumerouno

[136]Feb 15, 2011
    It's gone where it deserved.
    I watched it, just because it was Stargate, but found it far to dark and dismal, and some of the dramatic scenes with the abysmal music, wow that took the can. pavlos

kennethellefsen

[137]Feb 18, 2011
    • level: 1

I was gutted when I heard the news. SGU was my all time favourite both stargate and scifi series. I LOVE the fact that it's dark, it's tragic, things goes to hell in a handbasket, and everything isn't honkydary and red roses at the end of the day. This is what makes this series so unique and catches my attention more than anything. The sad part is that the stupid americans (sorry for generalising, ratings speak, and I exclude the people that like it, sorry) can't take a series like this. They all want happy ever after make me happy TV, makes me want to puke. It's sad, very sad....but as long as it's the rating based on the american people that makes or breaks a show, then a show like this will never make it!

Edited on 02/18/2011 2:04am

crystakke

[138]Feb 22, 2011
    • level: 5

Come on, this show was embarrassing the StarGate name. The characters sucked, there was no chemistry, no nothing. I wanted to watch the show and I was scratching my eyes out after two episodes. And I'm a huge Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis fan. Seen both shows 3 times. But SGU wasn't captivating. I couldn't care less why they were on that ship. You wanna watch a show about a ship traveling through another galaxy? Fine. Just don't call it StarGate. Call it anything else.

boller4presiden

[139]Feb 26, 2011
    • level: 2

The problem with Stargate universe wasn't that it was to serious, too dark, or too realistic.

It just wasn't good. First of all, they chose the wrong name for the show it should have been "As the Stargate turns" instead of Stargate Universe, I don't even know where the universe came from because they would go episode upon episode without leaving the ship and on the oft time they did the worlds they visited were empty and unintresting.

Secondly, the characters just weren't interesting. They had a senators daughter who had two guys after her (they did realize this show was targeting guys and not on the CW but the Syfy network right?), a scientist that had a wildly unbelievable backstory about him not wanting to return home, A ugly middle-aged Chinese lesbian, and a fat kid who was recruited to join the top secret program after completing a level on a video game(not making the last part up).I'm sorry but if this is what serious SyFy is supposed to be then I would have preferred SGA's or SG1's character development at least they didn't take the ridiculousness of their characters seriously.

Lastly, I just think they went totally in the wrong direction. SG1 was on for 10 seasons and got much higher ratings then SGA for a reason. There was a overreaching narrative (gou'ld, thor, ancients, etc) and non-stop action. I don't know why they didn't build on that by adding some character development in as well.

I'm sort of sad to see the SG franchise die but if Stargate Universe had to be the avenue in which it survived then it died a good death.

cross_mr

[140]Feb 27, 2011
    • level: 9
    :
    (which is an expansion of the mythology/canon worth all those people complaining that it did nothing to advance the world of the Stargate to just take a seat and let someone who actually pays attention to these things take the floor), because these are, for all intents and purposes, a group of 'normal-everyday' people (or as close as you can be being a member of the SGC or IOA) and they were thrust into a hazardous mission, with unfamiliar technology, in a completely unfamiliar area of space, and all they want is to get back to Earth....which isn't likely to happen.

Really? What everyday people? Scientists, ancient experts, military personnel? Everyday people aren't wandering around off-world bases. They had plenty of opportunities to advance the mythos but they didn't. That was the problem. If you actually compared how much more we learned about the mythos in a year and a half compared to even a few episodes of SG-1 or Atlantis it's a joke. There are problems that would be solved in in a couple of lines of dialog in SG-1 that took episodes to work out in Universe. That was the problem. That is why we never really got anywhere with the mythos. We got a few superficial things, but not that much. Let's not forget how they covered the first alien building they came across in a montage. I was finally expecting something and it was another failure of an episode. Being a departure is not a problem. Mostly ignoring the franchise is the problem. A serious stargate show can be made with character development, and the occasional boo-hooing that seems popular with this show, but that can be done without ignoring the franchise. This show clearly really wanted nothing to do with the franchise and only used the name in some attempt to get some fans to follow it.