Stargate Universe Forums

Syfy (ended 2011)

Official Stargate Universe Cancellation Thread

boller4presiden

[141]Mar 1, 2011
    • level: 2
    cross_mr wrote:
    :
    (which is an expansion of the mythology/canon worth all those people complaining that it did nothing to advance the world of the Stargate to just take a seat and let someone who actually pays attention to these things take the floor), because these are, for all intents and purposes, a group of 'normal-everyday' people (or as close as you can be being a member of the SGC or IOA) and they were thrust into a hazardous mission, with unfamiliar technology, in a completely unfamiliar area of space, and all they want is to get back to Earth....which isn't likely to happen.

Really? What everyday people? Scientists, ancient experts, military personnel? Everyday people aren't wandering around off-world bases. They had plenty of opportunities to advance the mythos but they didn't. That was the problem. If you actually compared how much more we learned about the mythos in a year and a half compared to even a few episodes of SG-1 or Atlantis it's a joke. There are problems that would be solved in in a couple of lines of dialog in SG-1 that took episodes to work out in Universe. That was the problem. That is why we never really got anywhere with the mythos. We got a few superficial things, but not that much. Let's not forget how they covered the first alien building they came across in a montage. I was finally expecting something and it was another failure of an episode. Being a departure is not a problem. Mostly ignoring the franchise is the problem. A serious stargate show can be made with character development, and the occasional boo-hooing that seems popular with this show, but that can be done without ignoring the franchise. This show clearly really wanted nothing to do with the franchise and only used the name in some attempt to get some fans to follow it.

Eventhough I personally prefer a faced paced storyline. I would have tuned into a character based SG show had they made the characters remotely interesting (see B5 and STNG).

Another problem with the show was it didn't seem to have any direction. They just floated from planet to planet gathering resources and whining about their personal lives. It's like they decided to remake my least favorite scifi show (Star Trek: Voyager) and fill it with even more less interesting characters, full of scifi cliches (The last starfigther type geek, Captain who doesn't want to be there but is thrust into the situation due to circumstances beyond his control, the brilliant scientist who can't relate to others, etc).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Yaspaa

[142]Mar 5, 2011
    • level: 79
    zzbeach wrote:

Hey gatephilosopher, weather or not people complained about the show is irrelevant. Many SG1 and Atlantis fans did exactly what you said they should do. They stopped watching it and the ratings tanked. That's why it's been cancelled. Berating others won't get the show renewed or get a proper ending.

That's rubbish, the haters just aren't that many, the petitions prove it, people just don't want to watch SG anymore, regardless of the tone.

crazycooter4263

[143]Mar 5, 2011
    • level: 1
    my two cents- this show will be missed. it had so much potential, and i have to disagree with all the posters that seem to want only shows that are just action, action, action. there are other shows that will provide that for you, why must every show be the same? sgu was a much more mature stargate than we'd seen before. i loved, and still do, sg-1, but it was corny half the time with things like col. macgyver seeming to make up half his lines on the spot just for a laugh at his quirky sense of humor. and he really was just "phoning it in" for quite a number of the last seasons. but, like i said, i still loved it. atlantis, in my opinion also had a lot of potential, but it never grew into that potential. always seemed like the writers didn't really have anything in mind as to what direction to take the show, most were just stand-alone episodes (like star trek episodes where everyone gets a strange disease, ooooo they're all aging too fast, or going mad from some mysterious virus). atlantis when it did deal with a story that was about the "bigger picture" was a pretty decent show. but, like i said, the writing just rarely seemed focused. always felt like it was gonna get better at any minute, meaning a storyline that wouldn't be forgotten almost as soon as it ended, but never did. the drama of sgu was ambitious, though yes, i must agree they seemed to take too many cues from the successful bsg. but given time sgu could have grown into its own, at least that's what the optimist in me always looked forward too. and yes, season one did sometimes grate with the pettiness of much of the reasons for the characters quarreling like children, "waaa, we're civilians. you military people can't tell us what to do all the time." i often was left thinking "were these 'civilians' somehow unaware that they had originally taken a job with a military run program?" many of them had presumably been working for the airforce/stargate command for years. the level of culture-shock they whined about almost continuously was a bit of weak writing. but, as many have already said, season 2 was showing so much improvement, seemed to really evince that stronger stories were going to be the case more often than not. and to all the posters that have said thing like "this wasn't really stargate because they didn't use the stargate in every episode," i really just gotta call lame on you. obviously that wasn't the point of this series. it was with atlantis and look how well that worked out, the writers were stuck with the same old sg-1 formula= come up with new bad guys every once in a while, then our heroes will defeat them. it had gotten old and the new show, bravely, tried to work on different levels. and i'm always left amused when fans of something that has been created by others/writers critique that creation by saying things like "this isn't stagate." did the creator say it is? does it take place in the same "universe" where the same characters and rules apply? then it must be what they say it is, end of story. soooo, anyway, now what have we got left? wrestling as everyone has pointed out, crappy so-called unscripted/reality shows, and shows like eureka/ warehouse 13 that can be entertaining occasionally but, are really just shallow and can only go so far. haven seems like it isn't gonna last long, sanctuary (? yeah, amanda tapping with a british accent, ten years of hearing her without one doesn't make that lame at all, that's sarcasm for anyone who missed it). and don't get me started on the u.s. version of being human. the original is a good show on it's own, the new one is just so unnecessary. have scifi fans (ie. geeks) just grown dumber along with the fans of most other shows? it seems yes, since most cerebral/ intelligently written stories fail far more often than they used to succeed. i don't blame the network, i blame you fans that are content with being fed dogfood, you are the ones that have encouraged this and most other networks to air the crap that passes for tv now days, good job. i for one, will miss all that sgu truly seemed on the verge of growing into.

bluew679

[144]Mar 6, 2011

I just herd the other day that Stargate Universe has been cancelled. I know for a fact that there are many thousands of people on facebook who are very upset with this news. Is there any way of saving this show, please help

bluew679

[145]Mar 6, 2011

there is a petition to sign but they want monet to get it seen I can not afford this

bluew679

[146]Mar 6, 2011

there are other petitions sign them people lets save the show

bluew679

[147]Mar 6, 2011

SAVE STARGATE UNIVERSE

WalterBosello

[149]Mar 7, 2011
    • level: 4

hoobydictator wrote:

OK then. Let's pick apart a fan favourite then... "Window of Opportunity".

huh, how strange!

Window of Opportunity is in fact one of myleastfavorites (due to the fact it is boring and there is almost no action).Is it really supposed to be one of the top favourites of SG1 fans?

I did liked SG1 and SGA not because of action anyway, but because they had a lot of sci-fi elements: elements that involved science and fiction. SGU instead had many realistic attributes (badly portraid)...some fiction...not a lot of science. Most of the times you see someone working at a computer you don't get a specific reason why they have or haven't solved a problem...or even what they are doing.

I liked the premises of the show, just not the way it was developed.

WalterBosello

[150]Mar 7, 2011
    • level: 4
    Yaspaa wrote:

That's rubbish, the haters just aren't that many, the petitions prove it, people just don't want to watch SG anymore, regardless of the tone.

I for one Watched the first season and the beginning of season 2. That's when I also started reviewing on this site. I don't hate SGU: I just found it boring.
    The last 2 episodes before giving up I was practically skipping half of each episode to get to key points.

But one thing is for sure: I would not want SG to be gone. As many people said, it wouldn't hurt trying to move in a different direction. I don't want SG1 or SGA. They were perfectly fine but there is no sense in bringing them back now.
    So: I too love serious and dark, sure. But it's gotta be very addictive and convincing. I've seen dark and gritty sci-fi and I love it (loved also BSG), but SGU was not dark enough and above all not convincing.

So in my case...let's say I *could* be a hater (hate is a strong word: lets' say I've come to dislike it). And yes: evidently people are just not interested. Are people not ready for serious and dark shows? I don't think so (BSG is proof). So the "tone" of the show is not a problem. The problem, in my opinion, is multiple.

1. in most episodes there's not much happening
    2. in most episodes there is too much drama and less science
    3. the show's name should have been altered to something like "the voyages of Destiny" or Just "Destiny", since there is not a lot of activity around the stargate. That way also SG fans wouldn't have gotten pissed off
    4. the actors could have done more. Lots of potential, but no character development.

Yaspaa

[151]Mar 7, 2011
    • level: 79
    WalterBosello wrote:
    Yaspaa wrote:

I for one Watched the first season and the beginning of season 2. That's when I also started reviewing on this site. I don't hate SGU: I just found it boring.
    The last 2 episodes before giving up I was practically skipping half of each episode to get to key points.

But one thing is for sure: I would not want SG to be gone. As many people said, it wouldn't hurt trying to move in a different direction. I don't want SG1 or SGA. They were perfectly fine but there is no sense in bringing them back now.
    So: I too love serious and dark, sure. But it's gotta be very addictive and convincing. I've seen dark and gritty sci-fi and I love it (loved also BSG), but SGU was not dark enough and above all not convincing.

So in my case...let's say I *could* be a hater (hate is a strong word: lets' say I've come to dislike it). And yes: evidently people are just not interested. Are people not ready for serious and dark shows? I don't think so (BSG is proof). So the "tone" of the show is not a problem. The problem, in my opinion, is multiple.

1. in most episodes there's not much happening
    2. in most episodes there is too much drama and less science
    3. the show's name should have been altered to something like "the voyages of Destiny" or Just "Destiny", since there is not a lot of activity around the stargate. That way also SG fans wouldn't have gotten pissed off
    4. the actors could have done more. Lots of potential, but no character development.

I see it completely differently, I found BSG just too slow sometimes, dreary even. I also think there has been bucket loads of character development in SGU, they spent plenty of episodes on this and it's still continuing, and the science episodes were starting to emerge, and these would only increase. The actors have done more in 30 episodes than all previous SGs put together, way more complex, therefore more time required to get to know these people.
    Edited on 03/07/2011 12:22pm

boller4presiden

[152]Mar 7, 2011
    The amount of character development wasn't the problem it was the characters themselves.

What do you mean "done more"? if you are talking plot wise then you would be incorrect. I mean what have they really done? All they do is mope about their sex lives (or lack of one), visit uninhabited worlds looking for supplies, and complain about one another.

I've seen more happen plot wise in one episode of SG1 then the entire first season of SGU.

In any case this was just a really really bad show. It had no redeeming qualities and I'm glad for no other reason then it opens up the budget on SYFY to spend more money on a show that's much more interesting.

torrijos

[153]Mar 7, 2011
    • level: 16
    Ghost chaser?
    Probably the kind of "plot" you like, repeating the same stories over and over again...
    Cheap thrills, for prude (since some of you seem still hung up on those few sex (yeah people do do IT) scenes), simple, warlike WWE fans.

This is probably the last high quality Science fiction show that's going to come out of that dying network.

DannyRodin

[154]Mar 8, 2011

Syfy has announced some premiere dates: Stargate Universe returns on March 7, Sanctuary returns on April 15, Marcel's Quantum Kitchen premieres on March 22. Plus, the network has bought the rights to Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and will begin re-airing the Fox show on April 7, giving it a second chance at cancellation.

http://www.tv.com/jack-bauer-returns-to-tv...-sort-of/story/25220.html?tag=news_list;title;0

What do you say about that? March 7 was yesterday.

therockstop

[155]Mar 8, 2011
    • level: 14
    It recorded on my DVR. I am getting ready to watch it now.

Shredmastahflux

[156]Mar 8, 2011
    • level: 10
    I was sad to hear about the cancelation, but after last nights episode I am crushed. The show had problems sure.. but noone can deny it was getting better. I bet the end of season 2 is going to be great and i really hope it might spark interest in a 3rd but i doubt it

MajLorne

[157]Mar 8, 2011
    • level: 21
    Well, the series is canned, but hopefully if viewer turnout is better, a movie [tv first] could be made. Sadly a Universe movie/dvd sales needs to go up before an Atlantis/SG-1 movie can be made...

RajjanSyan

[158]Mar 12, 2011

hbktimf24 wrote:
    This sucks i wanted to see the furlings ..damn

totally

idlegossip

[159]Mar 17, 2011
    • level: 3
    Took to long to get going and there wasn't much confrontation with an other aliens and the ship wasn't explored enough, to see what tech there was. won't be missed sadly. Goodbye Universe

cross_mr

[160]Mar 18, 2011
    • level: 9

idlegossip wrote:
    Took to long to get going and there wasn't much confrontation with an other aliens and the ship wasn't explored enough, to see what tech there was. won't be missed sadly. Goodbye Universe

again this. If the first season was mostly compressed into say 4-6 episodes you might have had a better pace. Character development is there, develop the characters while you're developing the mythos, while you're doing the sci-fi things.So many times we drift off on some long dialog only to go "Oh yeah right..there is some disaster going on out there we're totally ignoring and people have mostly solved"

Fixing the show is actually easy. It could have a lot of potential. It seems like the writers/directors would be much happier working on Big Brother 15 or something like that.