Stargate Universe Forums

Syfy (ended 2011)

Official Stargate Universe Cancellation Thread

Frenz9

[161]Mar 18, 2011
    • level: 10
    I can see why this show was axed, these days shows even twice as good as SGU get axed swiftly, as if they spin a wheel. My loss on this is while im not disappointed with the axe of this particular show so much, it is another blow to SCI-FI which is not being replaced.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

honorablechoice

[162]Mar 19, 2011
    • level: 3

danharr wrote:

Well I guess the darker more serious drama bent scifi fans have been abandoned this sucks.

You said it.. This sux! Nothing but .. I dunno I don't even want to begin at how dissapointed I am with television these days.. Granted this show had room for improvement but it was a lot better then most other crap on TV.. What is it with cop shows or law shows or realitiy tv.. Way Way too much! There is too much reality and normality in life.. Sometimes people need to escape into an adventure or just anything off the norm.. Whether its based from the past like spartacus blood and sand or a futuristic sci fi like stargate universe and battlestar galactica! Just keep it realistic, and full of action suspense adventure, stuff to keep one drawn with a great story.. And like I said! Keep it real! I mean.. This is the first stargate show to at least keep some measure of realism within the emotions and such of the characters.. Like when the Colonel killed that kid under his command by smuthering him to death.. It showed in his actions.. He had trouble dealing with it and started drinking, etc.. I mean if your faced with what they are faced with it should portray such an existance within the day to day of their lives, not be forgotten by the next episode, help it to develop their character, show the struggle they have with holding onto their humanity and trying to survive.. For example in the previous stargates there was a bit too much comedy within it.. Alongside a lacking in realism within events.. And the characters never really acted towards their situation.. I dunno .. There is this show coming out called.. Games of Thrones or something.. Perhaps that will be a good realistic guy showalong the lines of anepic adventurefantasy withdark magic filled with a good story and great battlesalongside somevulger language and hot sex scenes, lol... I dunno I just want something to watch that wont be canceled on a cliffhanger like fox and syfy or w/e always seem to do.. I hate it when they do that.. If your going to come out with a show.. At least complete the story before you cancel it.. Braaa!!! *rage* Don't you realize that a lot of people watch their shows online because they don't have the time to watch it when it airs.. Don't go by the standard BS rating system! Gosh.. Just cause it seems a show might have some bad ratings doesn't mean it ain't a great watch.. And it doesn't mean there aren't a butt load of people following the show! I prey for the day when all this nonsense stops and I can find something to hold an eye to.. And another point to why people might choose to watch stuff online is because of all the advertisement and commecials.. 15-20 minutes of this crud.. Pretty soon our hour long episodes will only work up to being 30 minutes with the rest being commercials.. Someone needs to be slapped!! Anywho.. That's my two cents.. Kinda rushed I know.. But you get the idea! I hope someone from this show reads this! *puts out another rage face*

MajLorne

[163]Mar 19, 2011
    • level: 21
    What every show should have is a backup where they should have an 'ending' filmed in case they should get canceled. At least if they do, then they have something to air as the final episode. With computer technology advancing, if there was a character that was killed off or left the show, that character could be 'airbrushed out'.

skylercain

[164]Mar 19, 2011
    • level: 1

A petition is to save SGU is located here-

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/savesgu

honorablechoice

[165]Mar 22, 2011

[Continuationfrom myprevious comment]

You know whats also really frustrating.. Is that with all these people who wrote negative review or heck.. I dunno w/e was the cause to the shows cancellation.. Well.. You.. PEOPLE.. Ended a storyline thats been going since the early 90's.. Now.. After this.. Once this show is ended.. Without a completion to the story I might add.. And we all hate cliffhangers.. But once this is over.. Thats it my friends.. Odds are.. Stargate will be dead.. I wouldn't hold your breath for a movie.. It is sad really.. So many stories, discoveries.. That will never be.. No more adventures.. Pisses me off!

Just a random thought.. But what would make a cool television series.. Turn Halo into a show! So much potential if done correctly. Lots of stories within that world/history. The gaming side of it has already made like what.. well over 20 billion dollars. If ur not gunna do a movie, then do a show! Heck! Do both! Garantee that would be a sci fihit series beyond most any others! Just keep it real! Don't rush it and make for great character development and story** Everybody needs their sci fi fix xD That is if its done well.. Nobody likes silly crud! Characters should portray the existance of which they are placed! Great action, Great adventure, glorious battles! Get the blood going with some fantastic dialog!

"And he piled upon the whale's white hump.. The sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race.. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it."

Belfaborac

[166]Mar 22, 2011

Well, what else can one expect. SGU has quality actors, three-dimensional characters with depth, rather than the cardboard cut-outs of most other series and a storyline with amazing possibilities, instead of whizz-bang cowboys-in-space antics designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Who the hell would want something like that?

furiousfunk

[167]Mar 24, 2011
    • level: 13
    SyFy has cut all the shows worth watching and can barely even be called a Science Fiction channel anymore. I still hope that someplace else can pick up Stargate Universe if possible, the show started slow and I even liked the slow start. People are so obsessed with the payoff instead of the journey and Stargate Universe has been about the Journey.
    As far as somewhere else picking up the series, they may be in the same boat as the other 2 Stargate series whereas Syfy had exclusivity and they aren't allowed to make new episodes for a different network. Syfy is becoming as bad as Fox about canceling great shows.

KasenStuff

[168]Mar 27, 2011
    • level: 5
    Oh thank GOD! I've HATED HATED HATED this version of Stargate. I hope to God they go back to what SG-1 and Atlantis was. They are what made the series. This dark series was pure crap. It really ruined Stargate for me.

KasenStuff

[169]Mar 27, 2011
    Yaspaa wrote:
    zzbeach wrote:

Hey gatephilosopher, weather or not people complained about the show is irrelevant. Many SG1 and Atlantis fans did exactly what you said they should do. They stopped watching it and the ratings tanked. That's why it's been cancelled. Berating others won't get the show renewed or get a proper ending.

That's rubbish, the haters just aren't that many, the petitions prove it, people just don't want to watch SG anymore, regardless of the tone.

That's not true. I want another SG with the original "tone".

griffjon

[170]Mar 27, 2011

Mate, I'll stand with you, I'm still not over Atlantis ending so i'm sure as sh*t not real happy at Unverse ending

Jon

EdCote1 wrote:

First off: the way that the actors found out that the show was canceled. What the hell was that all about? Syfy didn't even have the decency to tell them privately first? Couldn't even send out an email to everybody? WTF? I know people make mistakes, but how do you screw up something like that? This just makes Engler and the stuffed shirts in general look like jackasses.

Next, the decision itself. You know, I could almost understand this. Maybe in a different context. I know that science fiction shows are expensive to produce, especially with a quality ensemble cast like SGU, but isn't this, you know, the Science Fiction channel? Or at least it used to be.

I'm getting sick to death of good shows being canceled while the bandwidth gets clogged with garbage. What, SyFy can try again to milk BSG but not Stargate? They can do a "reality" show about some "psychic" huckster and her wacky family? Ghost Hunters, let alone a spin off? Some guy auctioning off movie props? And WRESTLING! Network Decay! Everybody else is doing it so you have to do it too, right? Good job SyFy. Forget all about what SciFi was in the first place. Get rid of those icky geeks who were your loyal fan base; I guess we aren't good enough, even though we are a bigger and more mainstream group now than ever.

Ratings. Ah, yes, ratings. Go ahead, network executives, cast your lot with an obsolete joke of a system that was never that accurate to begin with. Base everything on a sample size that's way too small and doesn't account for how people actually watch TV. But hey, that's what sells the advertising that we all skip with our DVRs. Don't consider website traffic, DVD sales, Netflix, or merchandising as streams of revenue or measures of success. And isn't 1.5 million passable for cable? Aren't there shows on major networks faring not much better? Sure, maybe SGU wasn't pulling a 1.5 consistently, but it could do it easily enough, especially if word of the show's improvement could spread. Is SGU (which was barely promoted at all) really bleeding money from NBC Universal more than The Event, which they promoted the everloving crap out of?

When did execs become so impatient? It seems that these days most shows have less than ten episodes to post HUGE ratings or get canceled. You get more time if you have a big name writer, producer or franchise (maybe the only reason SGU got even a second season). Even so, Star Trek TNG would never have made it today. Remember how lame the first two seasons were? Remember how awesome later seasons were? Yeah, we would have been cheated out of a great show if TNG had not been allowed the time to mature. Hell, on TV Tropes TNG is the trope namer for "Growing the Beard". If that had happened, the entire Star Trek franchise would have died then and there. There never would have been DS9 or anything afterward.

I know that many Stargate fans were unhappy with the show, and I can see why. It was perhaps too much of a departure from the established tone of the other two series. But wasn't DS9 a departure from the tone of TNG? Didn't it also get off to a weak start? And it went on to become, in my opinion, the best Star Trek series of all. I don't blame the fanbase for the cancellation of SGU, at least not as much as some people do, but frankly when a fanbase is unpleaseable, then well, they won't be pleased. For those of you who are glad to see the "abomination" gone, I ask- do you really think you are more likely to get the show you want now? I think you're much more likely to get nothing. The Stargate team has nothing else in the pipeline, and won't for years. Even then, they will be in a much weaker position to negotiate with a much more hostile Comcast-owned NBC Universal. This might be the end of the Stargate franchise, at least for a long time. As much as I hated Voyager, I don't hate the people who liked it, and I certainly was glad to see Star Trek survive it. I'd like the same courtesy here.

You know what's really galling? The show was just getting good. Watch the recent episode "Malice" and tell me this is a show that deserves the axe. I dare you. Yes, SGU took some time to get a rhythm. Yes, there were some weird and even bad episodes. But not every story is going to hit the ground running and keep it up nonstop. This was generally a more pensive and even intelligent show, and that's not typical. I get that. But not every show can be the same, and even considering all of those things, the drama wasn't all that bad. Some of the acting was downright excellent, especially Robert Carlyle. The plot was just coming together. Hell, even Chloe recently became a more interesting and rounded character.

In summary, I am pissed off and energetic enough to join any effort to save the show. Sadly, I don't expect that a sufficient groundswell will emerge. More likely, the franchise fanbase is too divided and there aren't enough new fans die hard enough to pull it off. For once, I'd like to be wrong.

Mate, I'll stand with you, I'm still not over Atlantis ending so i'm sure as sh*t not real happy at Unverse ending

Jon

WalterBosello

[171]Mar 28, 2011
    • level: 4

Yaspaa wrote:
    I see it completely differently, I found BSG just too slow sometimes, dreary even. I also think there has been bucket loads of character development in SGU, they spent plenty of episodes on this and it's still continuing, and the science episodes were starting to emerge, and these would only increase. The actors have done more in 30 episodes than all previous SGs put together, way more complex, therefore more time required to get to know these people.
    I respect your opinion. People have different tastes and that's what makes us unique. I liked BSG being slow, as it told a very specific story where we see people change over time (humans finding out they're really cylons, people falling in love and then breaking apart nd so on). One might say it's like a soap opera in space...I tend to incline towards "narrative science fiction". If it really is soap opera (I wouldn't know for I don't watch them) then I guess I'm cool with soap operas. SGU definitely had all it takes to go in a similar direction, but I perceived it trying too hard to pull multiple strings: action, cliffhangers, drama, soap, religion, social matters, political matters. It's tricky asking the young military guy to be a religious person, a don giovanni, a father and...a military guy at the same time. It can have side effects What I'm trying to say is that, in my perception, SGU couls have had 2 options: 1) be more "fast-paced" and with less of these "strings to pull" 2) be more slow an really develop each one of them. I tend towards the first one mainly because it should have been a Stargate show. I also have a different take on what's character development (CD from now on). I think CD should not only show you the characteristics of a person, but also his/her path along the journey. Old fashioned TV shows used to portray characters as statuary, inflexible in their beliefs: they were canons for youth to follow. Today this fashion still exists in most shows, but there have been developments in the last decades. Even in SGA a character such as Rodney McKay starts off as a complete jerk and over time manages to become even likable. After 2 seasons of SGU I didn't feel as if there was much CD in this sense. But maybe I did not pay much attention. As for the science fiction part (the science episodes), to me the sci-fi element in this show has indeed been too weak. The fact that they were on a spaceship and in another galaxy was definitely a strong sci-fi element, but in the end what I always seek for in a sci-fi show or movie is the element of awe that makes you go "wow! Who'd have seen this coming!". The scientist who makes a breakthru and shares it, the unknown anomaly that is explained and linked to the proper chain of events...Why not? even the alien race that makes contact and maybe at first is friendly but in the end viciously try to take over. I'm inclined to think that SG1's 10 seasons and SGA's 5 seasons were based on the old-fashioned way of doing shows...more like Mag Gyver: stable flawless characters, recursive story. It all depends on what you're looking for: simple or complicated. SGU intended to be complicated, but complicated has to be well narrated because many viewers rarely want to deal with complicated when watching a tv-show and when they do (like I always do) they need an explanation for all the complexity that has been displayed. It may be that I did not grasp the characters of this show and that we all needed more time for them to really evolve. Sadly this won't happen. Even though I admit I haven't watched more than a couple of episodes of this last season, I didn't really WANT this show to go. OMG I wrote waaaay too much XD

honorablechoice

[172]Mar 30, 2011

furiousfunk wrote:
    SyFy has cut all the shows worth watching and can barely even be called a Science Fiction channel anymore. I still hope that someplace else can pick up Stargate Universe if possible, the show started slow and I even liked the slow start. People are so obsessed with the payoff instead of the journey and Stargate Universe has been about the Journey. As far as somewhere else picking up the series, they may be in the same boat as the other 2 Stargate series whereas Syfy had exclusivity and they aren't allowed to make new episodes for a different network. Syfy is becoming as bad as Fox about canceling great shows.

I agree.

dougieee7

[173]Apr 3, 2011
    • level: 2
    This wouldnt have bothered me after the first series to be honest, i found it fairly boring and slow (it is possible to way overdo character development).
    But Ive really started liking it from ep 5 season 2 onwards, they have made it so much more interesting. I think the writers finally took on board the basis for fans complaints, its just a shame that they left it to late to liven things up

electricgeek

[174]Apr 5, 2011

If there was one show I could watch ever, it would be SGU. I'm so terribly disappointed at the decision to not renew it. I don't think they understand how wide this shows' appeal is. I'm in Pakistan, and I sure as hell don't count in the Nielsen ratings but it doesn't mean the show doesn't have a viewership here. Please, Syfy, reconsider. Pakistan begs you.

FoxMulder27

[175]Apr 8, 2011

electricgeek wrote:

If there was one show I could watch ever, it would be SGU. I'm so terribly disappointed at the decision to not renew it. I don't think they understand how wide this shows' appeal is. I'm in Pakistan, and I sure as hell don't count in the Nielsen ratings but it doesn't mean the show doesn't have a viewership here. Please, Syfy, reconsider. Pakistan begs you.

Germany is begging too I love this show and every episode is getting better and better! At this point I canĀ“t understand anybody who says "SUV is not a great Stargate show!" So please SyFy do something good and renew SUV!

Writerpatrick

[176]Apr 12, 2011
    • level: 13

SVU is very different from the other Stargate shows. And that might have been their problem. They just don't quite seem to know what sort of show they want to be. It's been some while since we've seen an episode that actually has them using the Stargate to travel to a planet, although that could probably be explained by the discovery of the seed ship and the fact that it did not get any further. But it's not really a Stargate show if they're not using the stargate. I think the series would have been much better had they the opportunity to use the Stargate to get back and forth between Earth.

Even Stargate Atlantis had trouble finding themselves. SG-1 was a strong show, even if they did stretch it out a couple season too long. SGU never quite seemed to even get started. They tried alien enemies but that never really seemed to work. Now it's just a case of them trying to get home.

In some ways I don't mind the end of the show, since I would rather see Stargate ended rather than ruined. But it does mean the end of a long-running sci-fi franchise, at least for now. Chances are someone will try another Stargate series in the future, although it's been a while since the last Star Trek TV series ended so it's hard to say how long it will take.

All we can hope is that the series finale is decent and doesn't leave them adrift.

JamesGreene

[177]Apr 13, 2011
    • level: 2

To be honest I really think people minds have already been rotted by extreme garbage like Jersey Shore. I don't have stats to back it up but for example I have around 100 people as friends on FB. I would say I know of maybe 10 and that is likely being generous, that watch tv that requires any sort of thought.

I realize that Science Fiction is not for everyone but it is not just shows like this that get the hammer. It seems like any show that is not centered around a lot of normal everyday reality never makes it. It also seems like the older I get the worse it gets too. What if SG1 had been canned after season 2? Personally I think they don't let current shows reach their potential anymore. I just watched all of SG1 last year and to be perfectly honest Season 1 had me wondering if I would even get into the show. In the end it turned out to be one of my favorite shows ever.

Who do we even blame though? The networks that want their predetermined amount of viewers or the people that prefer watching teens do some crap that teens are already doing in real life. I guess I wish more people enjoyed putting their imagination to use instead of watching mindless television faithfully.

opal1973

[178]Apr 13, 2011

I just found out the show got cancelled and I am so sad and angry. I have loved the Stargate Genre- yes I believe it is it's own genre- since the original movie. When I first found out it was a show, I was so thrilled. Then, to last for a decade, have a spinoff, then movies, it has become a part of my life for so long. I was so thrilled when Stargate Universe came on the scene after the other two shows were cancelled. I have not always patiently, waited for each new episode. Heck,we just watched The Hunt last night! I don't want a movie to finish off the series- I want the series back!

I think that Sci-Fi should take into consideration that if the ratings are falling on their network, it's because too many of us who followed the series are no longer watching it via Cable. I watch it on Hulu or other sites as I no longer pay for TV. Why isn't my opinion considered? Aren't I a part of the fanbase? Or am I not allowed to have an opinion because I refuse to pay to watch the show and have 43 minutes of show and 17 minutes of commercials?

If ratings are low on Sci-Fi, maybe it's because they are attracting the wrong element with garbage TV like Wrestling. I mean talk about two very different groups of viewers. Perhaps the real aim is ruin the channel altogether. Take away the good shows. Replace with garbage. End Network. Start new network. Perhaps named 24hour wrestling 24W or better yet... how about-the all wrestling all the time network...called ANW-all night wrestling.

*SIGH*

I miss my SGU.

kastaguy

[179]Apr 13, 2011
    • level: 7
    I totally agree with you about SGU! (and I loved Voyager and didn't like DS9 - weird eh?)

amailer

[180]Apr 13, 2011
    • level: 4

Dumb. The show sucked all season 1, mid season 2 it got interesting.