Stargate Universe Forums

Syfy (ended 2011)

The Hydroponics Lab - The Official Show Rant/Complaint Thread

  • Avatar of Gislef

    Gislef

    [1]Apr 29, 2010
    • member since: 04/22/05
    • level: 101
    • rank: Grand Poobah
    • posts: 23,876
    To keep things organized, here is the single pinned thread for all rants and complaints about the show.

    If you're not sure if it's a rant or complaint, it goes here.

    If you want to defend the show against people who have rants and complaints, this would also be the place.

    TOS rules still apply.

    1) Other users aren't on topic.

    2) No attacking of other viewers and users, either singly (flaming), or en masse (trolling).

    3) If it ain't about the show, it's off-topic.

    4) Take personal conversations to personal messaging.

    5) You're responsible for everything in your posts, including what you quote from someone else.

    6) If someone else violates the rules, report them and ignore them

    7) These rules apply to reviews as well.

    -----

    Have at it!
    Edited on 06/18/2010 4:47pm
    Edited 4 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of powermonkey01

    powermonkey01

    [2]Apr 29, 2010
    • member since: 11/14/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 77

    I have two major complaints with this show.


    The first is action, I know that they are going more towards a drama format, but sometimes it gets so boring i start hoping there's going to be an explosion or a gun fight with some bad guys. They don't have to go over board, an ounce more action would be great.


    The second is Eli's character development. As much as I try to like his character I can't, which is a shame. I feel his character hasn't grown since the show started, he's still a whinny baby. He could be so much more, the one person who could bridge the gap between the military and civilian camps while providing some witty comical release.


    Other than that the show is going along alright.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of althalus69

    althalus69

    [3]Apr 30, 2010
    • member since: 07/19/06
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 84
    This is like a frakking version of "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" only with less ... everything (and last weeks magical number "42" was too close to comfort)

    Seriously, like a frakking tourist trip in space, the bus speeds along, they get out, gawk at the pretty sights, do some infighting and then board the bus again. Those who are late or tardy don't get desert...and have to be picked up by aliens (probably had their towels ready) and be brought back to the bus.

    And since there's nothing else to do, people start emoting. And talent gets wasted...and we are getting subjected to listen to classical music for 45 minutes and wondering whether Rush and Daniel Jackson should get it on together or involve dying wife in a threesome.

    There is nothing to see, people. This is all we get. Pretty sights, no explanations, no mysteries. Just drama and a round trip through the galaxy(ies). Even Voyager was more interesting...

    I am seriously giving up on this, but yet... I like watching this train wreck.
    Edited on 04/30/2010 5:56am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Yaspaa

    Yaspaa

    [4]Apr 30, 2010
    • member since: 02/12/07
    • level: 79
    • rank: "Make It So"
    • posts: 1,873
    Explanations - Everything doesn't get wrapped up in one episode, just like a book doesn't give you all the answers in chapter one.
    No mysteries - The aliens, the obelisk, the rest of the ship, I could go on.
    Edited on 04/30/2010 9:36am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of firedemon1

    firedemon1

    [5]May 1, 2010
    • member since: 02/02/08
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 55

    OMG somethinginteresting actually happened! 3 people got sepperated from the ship and now they cant get back. this show might have hope.



    note I said it MIGHT have hope

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of althalus69

    althalus69

    [6]May 1, 2010
    • member since: 07/19/06
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 84
    Yeah, time to get the towels out and hope somebody gives you a ride...likely the famous "Lucien Alliance" that supposedly are rumoured to show up.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of netgoddess

    netgoddess

    [7]May 1, 2010
    • member since: 12/01/08
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 694
    althalus69 wrote:
    This is like a frakking version of "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" only with less ... everything (and last weeks magical number "42" was too close to comfort)
    It was 46, which signified chromosomes.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of netgoddess

    netgoddess

    [8]May 1, 2010
    • member since: 12/01/08
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 694
    Yaspaa wrote:
    Explanations - Everything doesn't get wrapped up in one episode, just like a book doesn't give you all the answers in chapter one.


    I see this as a positive. Too many SG1 episodes wrapped up everything cleanly with the team saving the day by the last few seconds of an episode. SGU sees fit to let things fall apart and leave you hanging to bring out larger story arcs. Frankly I find long multi-episode story arcs to be much more entertaining especially once a show gets released on DVD so you can do a marathon.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MajLorne

    MajLorne

    [9]May 1, 2010
    • member since: 01/31/08
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 3,471
    Well that's not to say there weren't any 2-parters in SG-1. Look at the last 5 episodes of season 8 [Reckoning 1-2 + Threads and Mobeius 1-2] and the 1st 3 episodes of season 9.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Laserwolf412

    Laserwolf412

    [10]May 1, 2010
    • member since: 03/08/04
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 65

    Non-dramatic action bores me: Transformers, Eragon(Fell asleep at end battle in theaters which was a first), Clash of the Titans and so on. Dramatic non-action is just fine for me as long as there is suspense and nail biting last minute saves which this show has plenty of. Yes I can be fairly confident of how things will turn out at the end but I enjoy seeing the characters defy the odds. Stargate Atlantis was good for what it was and the same goes for Stargate SG1, but I'm enjoying this side of Stargate just as much if not more since it is the one currently on.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TuMulTusX

    TuMulTusX

    [11]May 1, 2010
    • member since: 10/11/09
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 225
    netgoddess wrote:
    Yaspaa wrote:
    Explanations - Everything doesn't get wrapped up in one episode, just like a book doesn't give you all the answers in chapter one.


    I see this as a positive. Too many SG1 episodes wrapped up everything cleanly with the team saving the day by the last few seconds of an episode. SGU sees fit to let things fall apart and leave you hanging to bring out larger story arcs. Frankly I find long multi-episode story arcs to be much more entertaining especially once a show gets released on DVD so you can do a marathon.
    OMG, get real!
    Wasn't it very convenient that they found the maps on the wall right when they needed them? Wasn't it also convenient that the kino seemed to be AI and found its way to an exit? Wasn't it convenient that those 3 lost ones were able to access the alien's computer and were able to get the information they needed? Wasn't it convenient that Rush's group blocked the gate, so, that Eli, Scott and Chloe could get lost for another cliffhanger ... ?

    As you see above, this are only 'conveniences' taken from the last aired episode 'Lost'.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of someguy0830

    someguy0830

    [12]May 1, 2010
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 10,103
    You're exaggerating to make faults where none exist. It wasn't convenient that they found maps, it was maps they decided to pay attention to. The Kino found its way to the exit because that's what it's supposed to do: explore. Those three were able to access the computer because Rush did it before. Finally, getting stranded isn't convenient in the slightest.

    Honestly, you must hate all of fiction if you are going to gripe about such things.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TuMulTusX

    TuMulTusX

    [14]May 2, 2010
    • member since: 10/11/09
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 225
    someguy0830 wrote:
    You're exaggerating to make faults where none exist. It wasn't convenient that they found maps, it was maps they decided to pay attention to. The Kino found its way to the exit because that's what it's supposed to do: explore. Those three were able to access the computer because Rush did it before. Finally, getting stranded isn't convenient in the slightest.

    Honestly, you must hate all of fiction if you are going to gripe about such things.

    Honestly, you must love this show like no other if you ignore the obvious.
    What I was trying to say: this show is in no way less convenient than the previous Stargate shows. It has nothing to do with loving or hating the show. Even in SGU, we find always convenient solutions for everything, for example Greer sits on the open fire until he gets picked up. Meanwhile, he has flashbacks and also halluzinations about is father, so, that we can learn more about his character. Seriously, how common would it be that somebody in his circumstances starts halluzinating?

    As you see, I am not picking on details such as the car passing by in the last episode or that Chloe had 2 different uniforms in LOST - one which said "US AIRFORCE" on her chest and minutes later there was nothing on her chest - I seriously could have been picky and asked when did she change the uniform? - .

    I am just tired of people saying that SG-1 and SG-A were always too convenient; they were not - they only had a (much) faster speed than SG-U.

    Another strange thing in LOST:
    Young acts like the affair between Scott and that other Lt. was a very inacceptable thing, yet, when he learns that he is becoming the daddy of TJ's child, he acts like that this is a normal thing to have had sex with her in first place ...

    Well, after all, this is the OFFICIAL RANT / COMPLAINT thread, so let me have my fun here - I am not trying to spoil yours in the other threads either. I sure might ask questions there but I will concentrate my complaints here. How is that for a deal?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of someguy0830

    someguy0830

    [15]May 2, 2010
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 10,103
    Never heard of a near-death experience, eh? This show is less convenient than the previous shows. They don't just find exactly what they need, they have to look for it. It relies less on the deus ex machina than the other shows did.

    I'd really like to know what scene had a car passing by. Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious. Same with the uniform.

    Having a much faster speed than SGU, by definition, makes them more convenient shows. Their problems are solved faster with less buildup to the solutions.

    As for Young, he ended his relationship with TJ, and probably feels similar about the outcome of James and Scott.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TuMulTusX

    TuMulTusX

    [17]May 2, 2010
    • member since: 10/11/09
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 225

    someguy0830 wrote:
    Never heard of a near-death experience, eh? This show is less convenient than the previous shows. They don't just find exactly what they need, they have to look for it. It relies less on the deus ex machina than the other shows did. I'd really like to know what scene had a car passing by. Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious. Same with the uniform.

    If you watch the episode on hulu.com, it will be around playtime 16:10 - in my case, the advertisement was right before it. (It is the scene where Daniel tells Rush that his nose is bleading. After that, we see the 4 walking over the field torwards the ruins - exactly when it switches to this scene, have a look at the top left corner.) About the uniform: Simply watch the LOST episode, pay attention of Chloe's uniform at the beginning, it has a name tag on it. Then fast forward and have a look a few scenes later, the name tag is gone. I am just not recovered yet from watching, I would have looked up time indexes otherwise.
    someguy0830 wrote:
    Having a much faster speed than SGU, by definition, makes them more convenient shows. Their problems are solved faster with less buildup to the solutions. As for Young, he ended his relationship with TJ, and probably feels similar about the outcome of James and Scott.

    Having flying kinos and ship which listens when someone says: "We need air!", "We need water!". and so on makes SGU as convenient as any other SG show - only the speed is much slower and humor and action are a bit less. Or just remember how easily Chloe got rescued from the alien ship. Remember as well how TIME simply never happened?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Yaspaa

    Yaspaa

    [18]May 2, 2010
    • member since: 02/12/07
    • level: 79
    • rank: "Make It So"
    • posts: 1,873
    Didn't SG1 (in episode 200) joke with the high convenience factor?
    The two parters etc in previous SGs are different, they are just double or triple episodes. Real multi-arc storylines intertwine with each other, over sporadic episodes.
    As for the car and the outfit, those are just gaffs that all shows have and certainly no reason to dislike a show. When greer was climbing through the rubble, he was drooling, his eyes were bloodshot and he didn't pass out looking perfect. Little things like that, make the show llllegendary. haha
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TuMulTusX

    TuMulTusX

    [19]May 2, 2010
    • member since: 10/11/09
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 225
    Yaspaa wrote:
    Didn't SG1 (in episode 200) joke with the high convenience factor?
    The two parters etc in previous SGs are different, they are just double or triple episodes. Real multi-arc storylines intertwine with each other, over sporadic episodes.
    As for the car and the outfit, those are just gaffs that all shows have and certainly no reason to dislike a show. When greer was climbing through the rubble, he was drooling, his eyes were bloodshot and he didn't pass out looking perfect. Little things like that, make the show llllegendary. haha
    I am always getting amused by people telling me that SG-1 and SG-A had no multi-arc storylines, yet, I am not going to proof you wrong in the SG-U forums since it just does not belong here.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TOCM19

    TOCM19

    [20]May 2, 2010
    • member since: 08/30/07
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 2,221

    Yaspaa wrote:
    Didn't SG1 (in episode 200) joke with the high convenience factor?
    It also Joked about shows that quickly throw up titles, and joked about all the shows out there claiming to be "Younger" and "Edgier" which were terms used to describe SGU.

    Edited on 05/02/2010 10:54am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.