Stargate Universe Forums

Syfy (ended 2011)

The Hydroponics Lab - The Official Show Rant/Complaint Thread

TuMulTusX

[61]May 6, 2010
    • level: 6
    Yaspaa wrote:
    Going by your understanding of convenience, every single piece of the plot is convenient. It's a TV show, they've given Chloe more purpose, what's wrong with that?
    Almost everything! She had no background for that at all, yet, all of a sudden she just read somebody's (Jackson's) notes and claims to be an expert and useful.

There must be many scientists aboard the Destiny who actually studdied the ancients. As you might remember, they were on IKARUS to find the 9th chevron. Any of them should know more about Dr. Jackson's work than Chloe ever could have gathered by 'reading his notes' ... (whenever and wherever she did this; maybe the blue aliens told her Jacksonomy)!

And here you really wonder why Chloe became a main character in this show. Up to now (including the 'moment of brightness') she hasn't done anything worth it being front line. Well, maybe sleeping with Scott is what gives you the privilege. Yet, wait, didn't she just betray him a few episodes ago?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MajLorne

[62]May 6, 2010
    • level: 21
    Well I'm going to have to go with: the blue aliens did something to her. That's the only thing that can explain why she understood the computer and the cave walls. And I hope it stays that way. If she's not going to be killed off, at least make her useful.

TuMulTusX

[63]May 6, 2010
    MajLorne wrote:
    Well I'm going to have to go with: the blue aliens did something to her. That's the only thing that can explain why she understood the computer and the cave walls. And I hope it stays that way. If she's not going to be killed off, at least make her useful.
    Well, that those blue fish people did something to her is obvious! The thing I learnt in SGU: we, the audience, never will fully discover what they did to her - we will sure see some changes in her personality but we never will fully get revealed what happened to her. You now surely can call this 'open-ended' and 'leaving some possibilities open' but on a side note, this is rather like watching an icicle melt ... drop, ... drop, ... drop, ... drop ...

MajLorne

[64]May 6, 2010
    Speaking of open ended, I would still like to know what happened to those two that left the 'dune' planet. I mean if they are dead, at least show how they died unless they are coming back sometime in the future...

someguy0830

[65]May 7, 2010
    • level: 27
    TuMulTusX wrote:
    Well, that those blue fish people did something to her is obvious! The thing I learnt in SGU: we, the audience, never will fully discover what they did to her - we will sure see some changes in her personality but we never will fully get revealed what happened to her. You now surely can call this 'open-ended' and 'leaving some possibilities open' but on a side note, this is rather like watching an icicle melt ... drop, ... drop, ... drop, ... drop ...
    I'm sure they'll cover why Chloe can read their computers, probably in the next episode when the aliens decide they're tired of waiting and invade.

Oh, incidentally, I figured out an explanation for why the communication stones didn't link Young back to Earth in "Space". The device on Earth's end would need to be turned on, and they probably don't leave it active constantly now that they have a schedule going. Unlike the one Daniel and Vala used, this version needs both ends working to make a connection.

MajLorne wrote:
    Speaking of open ended, I would still like to know what happened to those two that left the 'dune' planet. I mean if they are dead, at least show how they died unless they are coming back sometime in the future...
    They got left without a remote and never called back. They're either dead or stranded, and no matter how you slice it they're not coming back.

Yaspaa

[67]May 7, 2010
    • level: 79
    TuMulTusX wrote:
    MajLorne wrote:

You are picking faults that could and probably will get answered later, and when they do get answered, you'll move on to the next trio of apparent inconsistensies, and pretend the last bunch never happend. You've watched them twice, purely to look for things that are wrong, instead of just trying to enjoy the show. If you put your mind to it you can pull any TV show to bits. That other guy has started relating it to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, his reasoning is highly suspect, but it's just another example of seeing what you want to see.

hoobydictator

[68]May 7, 2010
    • level: 4

MajLorne wrote:

I think this is in keeping with the documentary style. No one followed them to find out what happened, and no one came back. The crew don't know, so we don't know. We didn't get to see what the aliens in "Space" were upto when Rush, Chloe or Young (through the stones) weren't around either, so maybe there is a logic to it, albeit one that might be a tad irritating at times.

MajLorne

[69]May 7, 2010
    Not to sound arrogant, but I don't care and I still would like to know what happened to them. If they were to die, then let the viewers see how they died. It doesn't take more than a minute to show what happened to them. Plus they have a Kino right? So that could've recorded what happened to them.

someguy0830

[70]May 7, 2010
    MajLorne wrote:
    Not to sound arrogant, but I don't care and I still would like to know what happened to them. If they were to die, then let the viewers see how they died. It doesn't take more than a minute to show what happened to them. Plus they have a Kino right? So that could've recorded what happened to them.
    Of course, no one can access the Kino. They're in another galaxy now. That's about as lost as you can get.

MajLorne

[71]May 7, 2010
    Just because the two were unimportant, doesn't mean they couldn't just get a visual from the Kino showing what happens to them. For all the time they spend on earth, 1 min max wouldn't hurt to show what happened to them. I'm never letting this go unless they are somehow back in future episodes.

someguy0830

[72]May 7, 2010
    What is the point? The message was made clear. If Destiny says don't go, don't go. It knows better than you. They ignored it, they died.

Did you want to see that poor cadet (or whatever he was) and all those Jaffa die in SG1 "Last Stand"? Was it so crucial then? Why here? What is so important about a couple of idiots who ignore obvious danger and get lost with no way home? Dead or not, they trapped themselves and that's all that matters.

TuMulTusX

[73]May 8, 2010
    someguy0830 wrote:
    What is the point?
    The point is quite simple: getting once in a while a full sub story rather than a glimps of something that never ever will be explaint again! But in this case, I agree with you. It was obvious that we wouldn't see those guys again.

TOCM19

[74]May 9, 2010
    • level: 14

When Eli said that Chloe had been reading Daniels notes, i'm sure he only said that as an excuse to be allowed on to the planet.

Edited on 05/09/2010 9:20am

TuMulTusX

[75]May 10, 2010
    TOCM19 wrote:

When Eli said that Chloe had been reading Daniels notes, i'm sure he only said that as an excuse to be allowed on to the planet.

Yeah,
    But at least Chloe must have taken Eli's words literally! She acted like "I-know-it-all" afterwards ...

TOCM19

[76]May 10, 2010
    • level: 14
    TuMulTusX wrote:
    TOCM19 wrote:

Yeah,
    But at least Chloe must have taken Eli's words literally! She acted like "I-know-it-all" afterwards ...

True, that's what I mean, it was confusing when she then did seem to know. most odd. I don't think the map thing can be attributed to reading notes though, she was just beign observant. (Maybe trying hard to be usefull cos she knows that she isn't.)

MajLorne

[77]May 10, 2010
    But then again, she has nothing to do and she is a good friend of Eli's. Maybe he did show her some notes to pass the time. There aren't any 'books' to read anyway.
    :chuckles: plus how many hours can she spend getting knocked up by Lt. Scott?

someguy0830

[78]May 10, 2010
    To the question of Chloe reading Daniel's notes, a later episode will show that Eli has one of Daniel's training videos on his iPhone, so one of the computers they brought along must have the full set. Chloe presumably took her notes from that.

TuMulTusX

[79]May 11, 2010
    someguy0830 wrote:
    To the question of Chloe reading Daniel's notes, a later episode will show that Eli has one of Daniel's training videos on his iPhone, so one of the computers they brought along must have the full set. Chloe presumably took her notes from that.
    I hope he also brought his iPhone wall charger when they evacuated the IKARUS base. Or was there one in the survival kit?

torrijos

[80]May 11, 2010
    • level: 16
    In the episode darkness it was shown that they managed to charge earth gizmos with an ancient device ^^.

And about Chloe learning about archeology you realize that humanities studies aren't that far away from social studies (since she studied political science) it's not like she was working on any scientific stuff.