Stargate Universe Forums

Syfy (ended 2011)

The Hydroponics Lab - The Official Show Rant/Complaint Thread

Ouji-San

[81]May 11, 2010
    • level: 4
    I just want to say I am enjoying the show but mid episodes to the season felt repetitive and not going anywhere.. IM sad to say in the next 4 weeks of watching ill know i will wait MONTHS for more episodes to come out..

Its only getting started now more or less for me.. which is about damed time. I would like to see whats up with the Season second halfs trailer.

Cant wait for a standoff on whats going on really because we have no clue what the aliens are after but its something i can hold on till the last ep of this season if not then im going to be very agro till god knows when season 2 will come out.

PS Im still buying the DVD's
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

someguy0830

[82]May 11, 2010
    • level: 27
    TuMulTusX wrote:
    I hope he also brought his iPhone wall charger when they evacuated the IKARUS base. Or was there one in the survival kit?
    That's what the recharging plates from "Darkness" are for.

TuMulTusX

[83]May 11, 2010
    • level: 6
    someguy0830 wrote:
    TuMulTusX wrote:
    I hope he also brought his iPhone wall charger when they evacuated the IKARUS base. Or was there one in the survival kit?
    That's what the recharging plates from "Darkness" are for.
    Wouldn't work with the iPhone, unless Eli illegaly changed the default battery (which then would void Apple's Warranty).

Isamu_36

[84]May 11, 2010
    • level: 5

What I really don't like about this show is how many people bash it because it's different.

The orignial galactica is pretty stupid but everyone loved the new version, they did the same for universe and a lot of people got mad about it.

We got used to "rock&roll" sci-fi with explosions, good guys and bad guys but the formula gets pretty lame once anyone has matured as part of the audience. Travelling through space is as dull as travelling across the ocean. There's the occasional storm but nothing more nor much so the crew is left with themselves. SGU is life on a boat and people living with the annoyance that such thing implies together with depression, homesickness and anxiety.

Complaining about the lack of action and "pew pews" is out of place for this show since it is not SG-1 or Atlantis, it has not been meant to be like that.

However, I'll start complaining if the producers start changing the show into something more "adventurous" just to try to please the general flatter audience.

someguy0830

[85]May 11, 2010
    • level: 27
    TuMulTusX wrote:
    Wouldn't work with the iPhone, unless Eli illegaly changed the default battery (which then would void Apple's Warranty).
    It works with anything, and it's not like he can return it from halfway across the universe. Who cares about the warranty?

MajLorne

[86]May 11, 2010
    • level: 21

TuMulTusX wrote:
    ]I hope he also brought his iPhone wall charger when they evacuated the IKARUS base. Or was there one in the survival kit?
    I'm assuming the itouch is like the iphone: If he still has that USB 'cord', then he can just plug it into the laptop and recharge it. Plus since they retrofitted an Asgard device as a recharger, the iphone can recharge on that. Also in real lifethere's now a charger that can recharge an iphone via wireless, so if the Asgard thing is supposed to be more advanced, then recharging should not be an issue at all.

Edited on 05/11/2010 2:20pm

jrsgalaxy

[87]May 26, 2010
    • level: 14

The new format for this show is fine for me. A darker and more serious Stargate is something I can give a shot. The only thing that sucks for me is half the cast are boring and uncharismatic actors that I could care less about. THey don't carry a scene. They can't carry the script which makes it harder for me to totally get into this new Stargate. They should have picked better actors with more diversity among the cast. They look like carbon copies of glorified extras who took one acting class , came out to the street reading a shakespeare play , saw the Stargate Universe bus roll by and said " Hey I wanna be in that show ."

Yaspaa

[89]May 29, 2010
    • level: 79
    If he dislikes them but doesn't hate them, he could care less than dislike.

TOCM19

[90]May 31, 2010
    Yaspaa wrote:
    If he dislikes them but doesn't hate them, he could care less than dislike.

I don't dissagree with that. But if he loved them he could also care less, making the saying redundant in that form.

Yaspaa

[91]Jun 1, 2010
    Picking out grammer faults is a fun game, it also means you'll have to double check everything you write though. We'll all be literary geniuses by the end of the year.

TOCM19

[92]Jun 1, 2010
    Yaspaa wrote:
    Picking out grammer faults is a fun game, it also means you'll have to double check everything you write though. We'll all be literary geniuses by the end of the year.

I'm Dyslexic, and honestly not too bothered about grammer on a forum. It's just I have this niggling thingh about "Could care less" in particular, purely on the basis that there's no reason to take the proper saying and change it in to something that makes no sense.

Though I agree that there's one way that the saying could make sense, in a situation similar to the following:

Person A: "I'm guessing you don't care about this then?"

Person B: "Wellll......I could care less?"

Said so as to suggest that person B is struggling to find a positive thing to say on the subject matter.

I'd guess this is the origin of the american use of the phrase, but using it like that in a regular sentance does not convey it's meaning, and one is forced ot make an assumption based on a misnomer.

jw2468

[93]Jun 13, 2010
    • level: 7

My complaints are:

1. Rip-off of Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek: Voyager

2. Everyone hates each other

3. The characters have no depth, nor anything to make my empathize with them

4. The "drama" is nothing more than petty, shallow, self-centered behavior

5. A complete departure of previous Stargate series'(I don't mind a different direction, I just don't want everything good about the past series' to be dropped)

6. BORING!!

7. Too much yelling, not enough problem solving and team work that is typical in these kinds of situations. The thing that made BSG a great series' was the fact that (most) of the characters were willing to sacrifice for a greater cause. SGU? Heh! No.

8. It feels like they bring in characters from SG-1 just to keep the original fan-base watching. It isn't working

9. And finally, they've totally alienated their original fan-base. Hooray!!

Stargatefreak62

[94]Jul 5, 2010

jw2468 wrote:

My complaints are:

5. A complete departure of previous Stargate series'(I don't mind a different direction, I just don't want everything good about the past series' to be dropped)

6. BORING!!

7. Too much yelling, not enough problem solving and team work that is typical in these kinds of situations. The thing that made BSG a great series' was the fact that (most) of the characters were willing to sacrifice for a greater cause. SGU? Heh! No.

8. It feels like they bring in characters from SG-1 just to keep the original fan-base watching. It isn't working

I totally agree with most of this at least.

1. Agree with BSG but I really liked Star Trek: Voyager and can't compare it to this. If you're just talking about them being in a ship millions of miles away from home than it is kind of similar but I still think Atlantis was more like voyager than Universe is.

Totally agree with 2-8.

Quick note on 7. So true everyone on this show is worried about themselves, saving themselves, keeping themselves alive and keeping their pride intact. No one is willing to sacrifice for anyone else. How can you like character's like that?

9. I've been watching Stargate since I was five or six. I was completely obsessed throughout my middle school life. My entire family loved the show and couldn't get enough of it. Now that Universe has started we recorded them, said we were going to watch them, and then forgot about them until the DVR deleted them from our recordings. That's how bad the show is, even die-hard stargate fans don't want to watch.

And I know that some people enjoy it and they're like "Well its a different show from stargate sg1 and atlantis" but its still Stargate and they should have remained loyal to their original fans. Gah... I'm so frustrated with this show... I'm glad there's rant section, I really needed to rant.

Edited on 07/05/2010 3:23pm

Stargatefreak62

[95]Jul 5, 2010
    One more thing this show is bad enough to have a rant section... I don't think I've ever seen a rant section on any other show forum site thing before... wow.

MajLorne

[96]Jul 5, 2010
    • level: 21
    If it was like BSG where they have a few decades b/w the airings, then I don't think there would've been much of an uproar since enough time has passed and most would've forgotten or at least won't feel to broadsided.

The problem is not so much the more serious tone of the show, but rather the lack of some lightheartedness and much too much drama on certain characters. Now I will give it a pass if that part has been done and overed with now and they go strait into action from now on.

The token appearances of Jack, Sam and Daniel have helped somewhat, but not even they can save the show if I still don't care about the main characters of this show. Right now the few ppl I do kinda like now are: Eli, Greer, Volker, Brody, Park, James. The others, well not as much.

I am hopeful that they'll explore more about the Ancients and why they built destiny [would've been nice if they had a similar opening like Atlantis had with the city-ship leaving earth]. That could be a great episode to have: focus on the ancients and why they built the ship and the seeder ships.

Yaspaa

[98]Jul 7, 2010
    jw2468 wrote:

My complaints are:

6. BORING!!

Dude the original fans aren't enough to keep the show afloat, they had to bring in new fans for it to survive. Hopefully the second season can satify everybody. You obviously have strong nostalic feeling for the SG1/Atlantis phase and I get that. The show isn't what you want, but that doesn't make it bad, it just means it isn't your thing.

People aren't heroes either, they have families and will do anything to get back to them, which doesn't include saving everyone around you.

Oh and the characters have no depth?!
    Edited on 07/08/2010 10:07am

Stargatefreak62

[99]Jul 8, 2010
    Yaspaa wrote:
    jw2468 wrote:

My complaints are:

6. BORING!!

Dude the original fans aren't enough to keep the show afloat, they had to bring in new fans for it to survive. Hopefully the second season can satify everybody. You obviously have strong nostalic feeling for the SG1/Atlantis phase and I get that. The show isn't what you want, but that doesn't make it bad, it just means it isn't your thing.

People aren't heroes either, they have families and will do anything to get back to them, which doesn't include saving everyone around you.

Oh and the characters have no depth?! The characters have too much depth for you to deal with!

Hey no need to insult anyone here. Friendly debate remember? We don't like the show so we complain about it. This is where we can do that. Don't insult us please because you're pride of the show is injured.

Maybe you're right about the original fans not being enough but from what I heard they had a lot of fans so I think they just wanted more. Or maybe they got bored with writing the sames tuff for 12-13 years I don't know. The point is this is Stargate if they wanted to write a new show they should have. People can be heroes if they want to be. Sometimes that's part of being a soldier. You give up your life to protect other lives, there are a lot of soldiers on that ship. Besides even if it weren't true, no one watches tv to watch reality. We want to see people being heroes.

And yes the characters have very little depth. They care about themselves, about their comforts, and about getting home and for awhile that was practically it.

Now I have to admit since I watched the rest of the series and caught up with it it is much better than I first thought but it still has awhile to go before it can be considered stargate.

My family has decided to give it another try but we refuse to call it Stargate, we only call it Universe. It still has to prove itself to us before that happens.

Now if I insulted you in any way you let me know and I will apologize, but as far as I can tell I only insulted the show, which is what this entire forum is for.

Yaspaa

[100]Jul 8, 2010
    Well all the soldiers on board are doing their job the best they can, they aren't trained for where they are and there is a bunch of constantly whining and scheming non military folk making things difficult for them.
    SG1/SGA were specifically trained and prepared for what they were doing, the guys on Destiny aren't and that is where the fear and conflict is coming from.
    You may want heroes and happy endings, but that is an old format, where is the excitement if you know it's going to ok.

Insult? Dude this forum is tame enough. If you consider that an insult, life is going to be a big shock for you. There's my rant.