Stargate Universe Forums

Syfy (ended 2011)

The Hydroponics Lab - The Official Show Rant/Complaint Thread

Stargatefreak62

[101]Jul 17, 2010
    • level: 5
    Yaspaa wrote:
    Well all the soldiers on board are doing their job the best they can, they aren't trained for where they are and there is a bunch of constantly whining and scheming non military folk making things difficult for them.
    SG1/SGA were specifically trained and prepared for what they were doing, the guys on Destiny aren't and that is where the fear and conflict is coming from.
    You may want heroes and happy endings, but that is an old format, where is the excitement if you know it's going to ok.

Insult? Dude this forum is tame enough. If you consider that an insult, life is going to be a big shock for you. There's my rant.

Haha believe me I've dealt with plenty of insults. I've gotten myself into plenty of my own messes. I'm simply asking that you let us rant without taking personal offense and tame is good, I don't know why people insist on always fighting its the problem with this world. Debating is cool but fighting I don't like, that's why I ask for debate and not insulting.

I'm glad you like the show, I really do, but your missing the point. If they wanted to make a new show they should've, they shouldn't have tried to take from the popularity of another show and create a completely different storyline. If they wanted stargate they should have made stargate, not another battlestar galactica.

Now I like the show as a show, but not as stargate like I already explained, I know you like it too and I'm not saying you shouldn't, I'm just trying to get you to see it from my point of view.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Yaspaa

[102]Jul 18, 2010
    • level: 79
    I'll say again, It's nothing like BG apart from the obvious, It's nothing like Voyager apart from the obvious and It's nothing like Lost in Space apart from the obvious. It is its own show. Is it using modern techniques? Yes, that's moving with the times, things that don't change, die.

Stargatefreak62

[103]Jul 28, 2010
    Yaspaa wrote:
    I'll say again, It's nothing like BG apart from the obvious, It's nothing like Voyager apart from the obvious and It's nothing like Lost in Space apart from the obvious. It is its own show. Is it using modern techniques? Yes, that's moving with the times, things that don't change, die.

And I'll say it again for the third time. Good for the show. Its a good show but its not Stargate! And not much needs to change for it to be stargate, a little less drama, a little more problem solving not just letting everything work out, and a little more mythology (seriously? Earth is teeming with mythology! They could've used anything!) And like I said I love the show but its still not Stargate. The only thing I resent is that they call it Stargate.

Yaspaa

[104]Jul 28, 2010
    They are trying to solve the problems and are lost in space, so the mythology thing is a moot point, they aren't on Earth.

We've had sabotage, subterfuge, blue aliens, betrayal, space battles, a rancor monster, giant spiders, nightmares, a coup, jealousy, a frame-up, an invasion, kidnapping, hostages, sand creatures, body swapping-ish, fear, stress, fighting, sex, huge boobs, attempted murder, murder, suicide, a mysterious black obelisk, brainwashing and lots more. There's plenty to like, and the show is going in the right direction for SG to survive.

TOCM19

[105]Jul 28, 2010
    • level: 14
    I didn't notice James' boobs until y'all started going on about them.

Yaspaa

[106]Jul 29, 2010
    You didn't notice them? lol, I initially thought about how much running the military do during training and how she managed to get through it. Can they claim for whiplash?

lordfayt

[107]Jul 29, 2010
    • level: 4

ok firstly this program is just the first season of atlantis all over again we need food and so on, but sga was far better in all ways.

secondly how in hell could you cancel sga for sgu seriously its not logical, every where i go every one loves sga and hates sgu the only reason it has rating is due to loyal sg fans

thirdly the only character that seems human is eliy? (the fat guy) hes funny and apperntly smarter than anyone there as he solves most of theyre problems and has been involved in the sg program for like max 6 months mostly spent on destiny and has bugger all experience

fourthly wheres the humour i mean stargate sg1 and sga i loved mainly due to the jokes and witty banter but sgu there is no humour at all which leaves you with the other stuff in sgu.....the ship

fifthly what the f**k is up with themilatary dude scott i mean one second hes banging that other milatary chick on the icarus planet then he gets a better offer and starts nailing chloe, like i only f**ked you cause you was the hottest option, now theres more, and has as much emptional depth as a plank of wood

sixthly they have had only one good episode this season being the camerea time loop one that was brilliant byt the rest were s**t

also if you could do sg1 and sga at the same time for three seasons then why cant you do the same with sgu i mean we would have 8 season of sga

finaly as you can tell im a huge sga fan everything was brilliant and i see sgu as uninmaginative lesser clone of sga, and to the dude who compared sgu to a tourist bus travel i must take my hat off to you nice comparison, and lastly please forgive my spelling im typeing in the dark with barley any light

Edited on 07/29/2010 7:23pm
    Edited 3 total times.

someguy0830

[108]Jul 29, 2010
    • level: 27
    1. The difference is Atlantis abandoned its initial premise by the second season. SGU is sticking to it.

2. SGA was not canceled for SGU. It was canceled as a financial decision.

3. If you consider the previous sets of cast to be "human" and these not, you've rather idealized humanity. Hate to say it, but real people do act like this.

4. It's not that kind of show. SG1 was light-hearted, and SGA was somewhere between that and SGU.

5. Scott would take a fair bit of explaining. Suffice it to say that you've missed the point.

6. Your opinion.

7. They never expected SG1 to be renewed after the eighth season. Again, SGA was canceled as a financial decision.

8. That much is obvious.

lordfayt

[109]Jul 30, 2010

by human i mean has flaws and emotions everyone seems to blah also they changed o'neil he used to be so funny.

to the dude above me are you trying to be logical or are you a sgu fan also love the hypno toad

as for canceling sga from a financial stand point is wrong becuase it was doing better than sg1 and was huge and then they cut it to make films and give a weaker version instead, the history of the stargate films is so 2 bad, one alright (2 bad being stargate 1994 film was the original but was bad and continuim which was sooooo very bad and arc of truth being alright) i mean if they listened to the fans they would of relised theyre mistake the films may be good but proberly they will relise what a mistake they have made.

Yaspaa

[110]Jul 30, 2010
    Yeah, they changed O'Neill into a real person, who takes things seriously as a General should. Sga wasn't doing well its last season.
    You like comedy, watch a comedy!

You describe SGU as an unimaginative lesser clone, hahahaha. What do you think SGA was, it's SGU that is different, honestly the reasons you come up with make no sense, I'm gonna stop, this is a TOS waiting to happen.
    Edited on 07/30/2010 6:02am

lordfayt

[111]Jul 30, 2010

humour dosent have to just be in comedies and yeah so o'neil should have acted more like a general but this a fictional tv program he dosent have to be.

it still dosent change the fact that universe dosent feel like part of the stargate sieries its too cut of from the rest what they should of done was keep atlantis going and make universe overly serious such as swearingand suchthat way they could have the real and the old way then everyone would be happy, and apart from that the people that made stargate have bailed so now i'm worried although i dont particularly like universe i would like it to stay alive it may spawn another program that i may like also if they make other episodes like 'time' that one was really good,

apart from that if this new season dosent get better it may die

Yaspaa

[112]Jul 30, 2010
    There has been humour anyway, usually when Eli opens his mouth. How could you not like Space?

MajLorne

[113]Jul 30, 2010
    • level: 21
    Although O'Neill is a general, he does have a few funny lines in this show every now and then. Not as often, but it's usually the way he acts. Like when he had no idea where to go in the ship for one. That's classic O'Neill.

As for the SG-1 movies, they were disappointments and they could've finished things in season 10, but Sci-fi had to tell them when most of the production was nearly done. If they had outright said from the start 'season 10 is the end' then maybe they wouldn't have had lame fillers like 'Bad Guys'.

And same for SGA, they were broadsided when they found out season 5 was it. If they had found out there was not going to be a 6th, then maybe they could've cut out the fillers and put more effort to making the season better [the f/x was a total upgrade starting with the detail from the first ep of the season]. The 'series finale' should've been either 1.5 hours or a 2 parter cuz that was so terrible how so many things was packed up in just a typical 1hr episode. BSG had a 2hr+ finale, why couldn't Atlantis get something like that?

So I will say that I knew the shows weren't going to last, but the way Sci-fi handled them by just saying their runs were up when everything was nearly done was terrible. Rather than to outright state at the start of production that it was to be the end, that's where I think most of us fans feel betrayed by Sci-fi.

Stargatefreak62

[114]Aug 22, 2010
    In my opinion all of SG started going down in the 7th or 8th season of SG1. It seems like around that time not only did SG1 get bad but Atlantis as well, almost as if they were trying to hard and failed. I still loved the series but I think it was good to end Atlantis early and SG1 was definitely over, as sad as it made me it was time.

SGU... I think, Yaspaa, you really have to stop freaking out over what I'm saying. You're making me repeat myself. Sure its a good show, I like watching it, I enjoy watching it, but its...not...stargate.

I know you say that its taking the turn stargate needed and maybe you're right but the genre, the personality of the show is so different its really not the same, as a die hard stargate fan for 13 years I think I am allowed to say this.

I'm not trying to insult the show, its doing well on its own, I'm just a little disappointed that's all and so are a lot of fans. This show may have gained a lot of fans but it lost a lot of fans too, I've never seen a show that has its own rant forum and that's not because its a bad show but just because they tried to make it stargate and its not stargate.

I guess another thing that bothers me and I'm sorry I'm writing so long is that my siblings and I used to watch this show when we were young, it was for the most part pretty safe, I would never let my kids watch SGU and I know what you guys are thinking so just ignore this if you feel like saying anything against it but I kinda miss that safety.

Anyway sorry I wrote so long again, I do enjoy watching the show, that's all I have to say.

Yaspaa

[115]Aug 23, 2010
    Oh dude, no one repeats themselves as much as me, the haters (not you) are still clogging up this page with their crap reviews, as if changing the score from 1/10 to 2/10 covers their tracks, right.
    The thing is, they just couldn't do another lighthearted show, it wasn't working anymore, and SGU isn't anymore adult than most pop music or 12 rated movies. The show dared to be different, and its so called loyal fans are jumping ship. I haven't seen a bad review in a magazine for this show, it gets good ratings and reviews in Europe. Putting a show down for not being the same, I don't get it. I mean, Stargate was a 90's show using an 80s formula, lets move on.

Stargatefreak62

[116]Aug 23, 2010
    Yeah I guess I sort of agree with you. I agree its not a bad show but if it wasn't stargate I wouldn't be watching it (because I am a loyal fan

kanniballl

[117]Aug 25, 2010
    • level: 18

Yaspaa wrote:
    You describe SGU as an unimaginative lesser clone, hahahaha. What do you think SGA was, it's SGU that is different, honestly the reasons you come up with make no sense, I'm gonna stop, this is a TOS waiting to happen.

Agreed. I liked Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis, but they were quite similar. Sure, different actors and setting... but similar writing styles, humor, etc. If you liked 1 show, then chances are you'd like the other unless there was a technical thing that you didn't enjoy like the style of the villains or whatever.

Stargate Universe is different than both of those shows. More serious, more mature, etc. We have the main characters, apparently all protagonists, in-fighting. Mutiny, shooting each other, arguing, etc. We have the naive administrator from the IOA turning cold and hard after the stuff she's endured: being shot, being betrayed, living in an invalid body for weeks, etc. There's on-air intimate moments, something the other SG shows never had (not that it's a plus, but a difference). etc

Now, if you want to argue that it's Battlestar Galactica + Lost + Space Cases + whatever then that's also true. It is derivative of other works, but really what now-a-days isn't. Even SG-1 had bits of past shows mixed in.

I'm enjoying it simply because it's different enough from most of the stuff currently on the air. The previous SG shows were a lot of running-and-gunning, meeting races, etc. This is more of a survival type of show.

I'm not saying it's better than SG-1 or Atlantis, though I think SG-1 grew stale after season 5-ish. And if this was running at the same time as Battlestar Galactica as on the air I might side with Galactica more. But for a new show with new episodes, it's good.

Edited on 08/25/2010 1:16pm
    Edited 3 total times.

fladimir7

[118]Sep 4, 2010
    • level: 11
    Meh too much whining..

firedemon1

[119]Oct 5, 2010

Can they fly the ship yet???

torrijos

[120]Oct 5, 2010
    • level: 16
    Could you? ^^