Stargate Universe Forums

Syfy (ended 2011)

The Hydroponics Lab - The Official Show Rant/Complaint Thread

jrsgalaxy

[121]Oct 5, 2010
    • level: 14
    torrijos wrote:
    Could you? ^^
    Well if Chewbacca could fly the Millennium Falcon, sure why not. Come on guys its not rockey science. Well on second thought maybe it is.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

zzbeach

[122]Oct 12, 2010
    • level: 12

Ladies and gentlemen the show has horrible ratings and it's not the time slot. Warehouse 13 was just renewed and got a 2.4, over twice that of Universe on the same night even after many of the fall shows started. Unless there's a huge uptick in viewers, it will be cancelled along with Caprica and the suits have no one else to blame but themselves. I have a feeling that by this time next year this forum will be as deserted as the Atlantis and SG1 forums are now.

And for the record, Atlantis was cancelled to make way for Universe. An episode of Atlantis cost about 75% that of a Universe episode. The Atlantis movie was cancelled due to the financial situation.

kd111

[123]Oct 12, 2010
    • level: 5
    zzbeach wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen the show has horrible ratings and it's not the time slot. Warehouse 13 was just renewed and got a 2.4, over twice that of Universe on the same night even after many of the fall shows started. Unless there's a huge uptick in viewers, it will be cancelled along with Caprica and the suits have no one else to blame but themselves. I have a feeling that by this time next year this forum will be as deserted as the Atlantis and SG1 forums are now.

And for the record, Atlantis was cancelled to make way for Universe. An episode of Atlantis cost about 75% that of a Universe episode. The Atlantis movie was cancelled due to the financial situation.

Warehouse 13 didnt have any competion, at least not from that dancing with stars crap so of course its going to do better.

TOCM19

[124]Oct 12, 2010
    Warehouse 13 is terrible, not even sci fi and it annoys me that it A) does better than a decent Sci-Fi show and B) Crossed over with Eureka, making Magic be real in Eureka, which is silly.

zzbeach

[125]Oct 12, 2010
    • level: 12

Apparently the numbers would say both of you are wrong.

jtodnem

[126]Oct 12, 2010
    • level: 8

OMG OMG OMG plz stop f***g whit me i fel a sleep almost at ewery sgu episode im watching old reruns whit more pasion than this are they realy out for destroying one of the best sci fi series we have i would love for the old crew to come bac continue what worked this is the biggest crap to date i caseled my sub to scy fy cause of this and now IM DOWNLOADING IT just in hope they loose all their ratings and get canseled i this is the biggest f u to my face bye any show i ewer watched
    there is only one way they can save sgu bring SG-1 crew and atlantis crew to sgu

TOCM19

[127]Oct 12, 2010
    You realise that it's your fault this show is going to get cancelled? Just watch it, it's not rubbish it's just different, deal with change, embrace it, and watch it so that it doesn't get ruined and we don't find out what would have happened.

In terms of Stargate, this is the most stargate, stargate has been for a while, we are finding out loads of stuff about the ancients (or we are going to) how can anyone claim that it's not aimed at real sg fans?

Yaspaa

[128]Oct 13, 2010
    • level: 79
    zzbeach wrote:

Apparently the numbers would say both of you are wrong.

The numbers said Firefly was crap as well.
    Episode 22 was amazing, what Young had to do was jaw dropping, intense stuff, who the hell is still complaining?
    Edited on 10/13/2010 7:46am

TOCM19

[129]Oct 13, 2010
    People who wanted them to milk the SG-1 characters until they were lifeless husks with no personality left to speak of.

Kromdale

[130]Oct 13, 2010
    • level: 4

SG1 and SGA were about exploration/conflict because of the exploration. Allowing writers to go in many directions each week, be it a new world, a new enemy or any other situation they want to write about.

SGU is about basic survival. The writers are basically stuck on 3 storiesdue tothe stupid hyperspacetimer andone long term story being discovery of the purpose of Destiny. Food/water retrieval, Crew dynamicsand Alien threat. No exploring, no new society to explore beyond the hi i see you, you see me we dont understand each other goodbyeand more importantly no happy situation. Every episode seems more depressing then the next. Why they havent all shot each other is beyond me. There seem to be no lights on this ship since every room and passage ways are very dark(ya ya i know its to portray the dark mood like in BG). It takes months to get from Earth toAtlantis so you figure they have spent at least months on this ship, since this season is a new galaxy, most of it on low rations that are bland and for most of them absolutely nothing todo excepttwiddle their thumbs.

Without a stable source of food/power, you waste a few episodes every season on their need to find said food/water/power which is just boring. Anyway thats why im losing interest inSGU. Although i am glad they ditched the damn kino diaries.

Finally,how is the LA a threat to Earth? Doesnt Earth have the Asgard shield/ancient shield system and Asgard weapons for their ships? The whole reason the System Lords didnt attack Earth for so long was the Asgard threat, hinting that Asgard technologywasvastly superior to theirs.

someguy0830

[131]Oct 13, 2010
    • level: 27
    Kromdale wrote:
    Finally,how is the LA a threat to Earth? Doesnt Earth have the Asgard shield/ancient shield system and Asgard weapons for their ships? The whole reason the System Lords didnt attack Earth for so long was the Asgard threat, hinting that Asgard technologywasvastly superior to theirs.
    The System Lords never attacked Earth for two reasons: the Asgard would attack them, and the other System Lords would attack them to prevent the Asgard from attacking him. When someone decides to call that bluff, you get Anubis and Ba'al.

The Alliance is a threat (presumably) because they have parts of the Goa'uld armada. There's no telling how much of it they have, but Earth only has five ships at the moment. Even with our better weapons, those are bad odds. Not to mention cloaking technology that could allow them to plant bombs undetected in major cities. It's a bad scene.

MajLorne

[132]Oct 14, 2010
    • level: 21
    Hem, not sure how far they'd go to show domestic terrorism ala 9/11. But I do agree with how easy it is for them to get onto earth undetected, they could presumably plant numerous bombs across the world.

Since the Ori are gone, maybe those ships can be brought in to help out? They caused the mess, thus they are responsible to help clean things up.

Also that does address what I mentioned about how the earth ships are far superior. But unless Atlantis is gone, I still don't see the LA as that big a threat. Then again a huge number of ships can change the dynamics of battle.

TOCM19

[133]Oct 15, 2010
    The Drones in Antarctica certainly were more than a match for Anubis and his fleet, but The LA should in theory have several fleets if they are in possession of multiple system lords fleets, presumably the Jafa hava about as many ships, I wonder if they are just staying out of the LA's way. Though that doesn't seem likely.

Also we don't know how many Drones Atlantis even has left even if it is there. And again that is only if the LA mount a full scale attack instead of just hiding and f**king s**t up.

Bottom line is that the LA are definitely a threat, perhaps not as much as the goa'uld were in terms of numbers, but they are more likely to attack as there's no scary treaty protecting earth.

Yaspaa

[135]Oct 15, 2010
    • level: 79
    Kromdale wrote:

SG1 and SGA were about exploration/conflict because of the exploration. Allowing writers to go in many directions each week, be it a new world, a new enemy or any other situation they want to write about.

SGU is about basic survival. The writers are basically stuck on 3 storiesdue tothe stupid hyperspacetimer andone long term story being discovery of the purpose of Destiny. Food/water retrieval, Crew dynamicsand Alien threat. No exploring, no new society to explore beyond the hi i see you, you see me we dont understand each other goodbyeand more importantly no happy situation. Every episode seems more depressing then the next. Why they havent all shot each other is beyond me. There seem to be no lights on this ship since every room and passage ways are very dark(ya ya i know its to portray the dark mood like in BG). It takes months to get from Earth toAtlantis so you figure they have spent at least months on this ship, since this season is a new galaxy, most of it on low rations that are bland and for most of them absolutely nothing todo excepttwiddle their thumbs.

Without a stable source of food/power, you waste a few episodes every season on their need to find said food/water/power which is just boring. Anyway thats why im losing interest inSGU. Although i am glad they ditched the damn kino diaries.

Yeah they 'waste ' a few episodes going to alien planets to look for supplies, how is that boring? It's one of the few times they get off the ship, sorry, if you're still watchin', you don't think it's boring. A lack of lighthearteness is not boring, it's just a lack of lightheartedness, which would be completely out of place anyway in this show.

Kromdale

[136]Oct 15, 2010

someguy0830 wrote:
    Kromdale wrote:
    The System Lords never attacked Earth for two reasons: the Asgard would attack them, and the other System Lords would attack them to prevent the Asgard from attacking him. When someone decides to call that bluff, you get Anubis and Ba'al. The Alliance is a threat (presumably) because they have parts of the Goa'uld armada. There's no telling how much of it they have, but Earth only has five ships at the moment. Even with our better weapons, those are bad odds. Not to mention cloaking technology that could allow them to plant bombs undetected in major cities. It's a bad scene.

Didnt consider the cloaked shuttles. good point. I was thinking more of the ship to ship capabilities. Four Ori ships basically took out 2 earth ships and a fleet of gould ships so i was assuming earths new upgraded fleet would do the same thing to any LA fleet. But the terrorist aspect is a route the LA would be willing to use.

Vee_ro

[137]Oct 28, 2010
    • level: 2

I am really starting to belive that the writers are runing out of ideeas and are now throwing everething but the kitchen sink at us.

Where else have we seen a doctor of questionable morals and a hidden agenda talking to a wife that only he can see? Oh right Baltar from Battlestar Galactica.

In fact this show looks more and more like Galactica where you also had a space ship on its way to earth and the main story was focused on the relation between the crew members and survival rather then the actual problem of geting to earth or fighting off the cylons.

Now all in all that wouldn't be bad, but the most annoying thing is that some episodes have one story line and then loads of usless crap that comes up as fillers.

Take the last episode for instance. Guy was infected with some alien spores and his hand goes blue while the others try and save him. Ok fair enough, thats for a ok-ish story. But then, almost more then half of the episode is about him dreaming how he is back on earth and about to get maried.

What does that have to do with anything?! It's usless info that I don't care. if I want to see people marying I can watch a soap ophera.

And then there is the episode where Rush discovered how to brake the computer code. That was again an ok episode. But more then half of it was focused around a guy who had his legs crushed and every one was mourning about him. Now the problem with me as the viewer is that I don't simpathyse for a random character. If O'neil was under those rocks then Yeah, Id be able to have some feelings for him, because I know the guy, but in the curent case all I was thinking was "Just leave him there and move on with it ffs".

All in all I think that this show is doomed to fail if it doesn't move on. It reminds me of the cronicles of Sarah Conor, where they had some ratings in the begining (since it was terminator) but when the viewers noticed that the action isn't actually moving and an entire season is about Sara's hormones, then people stoped watching and the show got canceled.

Kromdale

[138]Oct 28, 2010

[[/QUOTE] Yeah they 'waste ' a few episodes going to alien planets to look for supplies, how is that boring? It's one of the few times they get off the ship, sorry, if you're still watchin', you don't think it's boring. A lack of lighthearteness is not boring, it's just a lack of lightheartedness, which would be completely out of place anyway in this show.[/QUOTE]

Never saidthe showwas boring. I said the idea of having to have the crew forage every season was a waste of the limited episode pool. Instead of that how about they find a storage area with food supplies in stasis or a replicating machine. You would think an advanced society would have enough intelligence to provide the basic supplies for a ship that size. Assuming you can forage food just leads to a dead ship. A "desert" stretch of space is a possiblity they would have prepared against. Tada food/water issues done and we can move on to real stories instead of contrived stories where they have an accident gathering food orcontract a bug.

Oh ya to Everyone who keeps saying "then stop watching", well looking at the ratings you have succeeded in that goal at least. /clap

Vee_ro

[139]Oct 28, 2010
    • level: 2

Kromdale wrote:

[

Yeah they 'waste ' a few episodes going to alien planets to look for supplies, how is that boring? It's one of the few times they get off the ship, sorry, if you're still watchin', you don't think it's boring. A lack of lighthearteness is not boring, it's just a lack of lightheartedness, which would be completely out of place anyway in this show.[/QUOTE]

Never saidthe showwas boring. I said the idea of having to have the crew forage every season was a waste of the limited episode pool. Instead of that how about they find a storage area with food supplies in stasis or a replicating machine. You would think an advanced society would have enough intelligence to provide the basic supplies for a ship that size. Assuming you can forage food just leads to a dead ship. A "desert" stretch of space is a possiblity they would have prepared against. Tada food/water issues done and we can move on to real stories instead of contrived stories where they have an accident gathering food orcontract a bug.

Oh ya to Everyone who keeps saying "then stop watching", well looking at the ratings you have succeeded in that goal at least. /clap

[/QUOTE]

I don't mind that they look for food and discover new species. To be honest I do like the fact that the "new" aliens aren't all humans and able to speak english like the ones in SG-1 or Atlantis (that allways buged me )

But what I do mind is all the usless filler during an episode involving personal drama of crew members. Like the vision experienced by Scott during his coma or the whole baby story wich was also really lame -_-

Bytor65

[140]Oct 28, 2010
    • level: 6

SGU is clearly next up on the Cancellation block.

The ratings are only marginally better than Capricas. Right now it is a tossup whether it just runs normally to the mid season break where it will end, or gets pulled early and is given a slot to burn off like Caprica.

The design of this show was a failure from the get go. Both this and Caprica were BSG wannabes with unlikeable characters and excess melodrama.

IMO no show of any kind survives without likeable characters and these were obvious failures from the beginning, the only surpise for me is that they went for a second season of SGU.