Stargate Universe Forums

Syfy (ended 2011)

The Hydroponics Lab - The Official Show Rant/Complaint Thread

  • Avatar of Vee_ro

    Vee_ro

    [141]Oct 29, 2010
    • member since: 02/27/04
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 12
    to be honest all they have to do to not get caned would be to put some action in it. Right now the story seems to move foward like a slug..I mean..one season is past and all they've acomplished is to have rush get the security code.
    It would be nice if they actualy start to "turn the ship around" and head for earth while they begin to search the new worlds for technology that might get them there faster.

    If they do that I wouldn't care about all the drama and crew mingling that can be there as well.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Bytor65

    Bytor65

    [142]Oct 29, 2010
    • member since: 12/11/06
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 122

    Turning the Ship around would be pointless. They have been heading away from earth for 50 000 years at full speed, if they turn the ship around they still have 50 000 years to get home.


    They just needa big source of power to run the stargate at full power and the could go home, I believe they said as much in Awakenings when they were trying to get power from the other ship.


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MajLorne

    MajLorne

    [143]Oct 29, 2010
    • member since: 01/31/08
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 3,458

    Yup, last thing this show needs is to be compared to ST:Voyager, though that would probably be more entertaining than these past few episodes so far. If they cut out most of the drama on earth, we probably would still be in season 1 right now.


    As for the SG-1/SGA aliens/ppl speaking english, I'm sure they could waste half an episode trying to work out the language barrier [but there was at least one race, Unas that didn't speak english]. But to do this over and over would be tedious and take too long trying to explain it. So out of expedience, it is the way it is. But so far this 'babel'works for SGU because so far we've seen only 2 races.

    Edited on 10/29/2010 9:46pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Vee_ro

    Vee_ro

    [144]Oct 30, 2010
    • member since: 02/27/04
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 12

    Well I wouldn't want them to TALK to the aliens because I kind of like it the way it curently is. I always hated SG-1 and Atlantis for the fact that all the aliens were actualy human and able to speak common english.


    As for turning the ship around, curently the ship is making plenty of stops and isn't runing at full speed. Also they might of made some detours along the way.



    Either way in their situation the primary goal should be to get home, yet I don't see them focusing on it, no one besides rush even worked on cracking the computer code.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MajLorne

    MajLorne

    [145]Oct 31, 2010
    • member since: 01/31/08
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 3,458
    Well in those shows, those are military/scientists that are already prepared to deal with alien contacts. Here they are trying to get home, so contact is the least of their priorities.

    SG-1 the go'auld and the wraith are not the friendly types. And again as I said, they could waste half the episode to get the translation right, but that would be repetitive and pointless. Better to move the show along if they could understand each other. That's why it's sci-fi.

    And they better start giving us answers on how all of a sudden he knew about the 'master code'. I know he was in the chair, but that doesn't exactly show how he knows about that bridge and how to start operating some of the systems.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of someguy0830

    someguy0830

    [146]Oct 31, 2010
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 10,103
    MajLorne wrote:
    And they better start giving us answers on how all of a sudden he knew about the 'master code'. I know he was in the chair, but that doesn't exactly show how he knows about that bridge and how to start operating some of the systems.
    If you'd paid attention, you would already know the answers to these questions.

    First, he found the master code through the use of a program designed to decipher it, the key to which he found near the end of "Human". They explain it quite clearly in that episode.

    Second, the ship has schematics. We see them in the first episode. Finding the bridge is simple.

    Third, he explicitly makes clear that he is going to learn the systems on the bridge. Even so, he already knows how to run the consoles elsewhere on the ship. The bridge isn't any different.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TuMulTusX

    TuMulTusX

    [147]Oct 31, 2010
    • member since: 10/11/09
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 225
    someguy0830 wrote:
    If you'd paid attention, you would already know the answers to these questions.

    First, he found the master code through the use of a program designed to decipher it, the key to which he found near the end of "Human". They explain it quite clearly in that episode.

    Second, the ship has schematics. We see them in the first episode. Finding the bridge is simple.

    Third, he explicitly makes clear that he is going to learn the systems on the bridge. Even so, he already knows how to run the consoles elsewhere on the ship. The bridge isn't any different.

    Oh, boy!
    I can take your junky explanations and excuses no more!
    "He found the master code through the use of a program designed to decipher it ... " - you forgot to mention that this was a dream sequence / hallucination! How cool, creating a computer program while sleeping and discover world's secrets during your nap!

    "The ship has schematics ... " ... Sure! Eli and the rest of the crew are just too stupid to read them!

    So far, there has been nothing explained at all. Everything was 'off-screen' and left to the viewer's imagination, interpretion and translation. The only thing this show is focusing on is melodrama. In fact, the writers make it clear that everyone gets the feelings of the 'whiner of the week' by explaining their emotions 38 minutes per episode. The sci-fi elements on the other hand get fixed and solved with religion and magic or - - as shown in numerous episodes - via dreams and hallucinations.

    BTW:
    What happened to the announcements before the series launched that planets won't look like the Canadian woods? What happened to the other statements that problems won't get solved within the last 5 minutes of the show?

    Rubbish!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of someguy0830

    someguy0830

    [148]Nov 1, 2010
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 10,103
    TuMulTusX wrote:
    "He found the master code through the use of a program designed to decipher it ... " - you forgot to mention that this was a dream sequence / hallucination! How cool, creating a computer program while sleeping and discover world's secrets during your nap!
    Uh, no. Again, watch the episode. Rush used the chair to find the principle behind the master code, then devised the program.

    TuMulTusX wrote:
    "The ship has schematics ... " ... Sure! Eli and the rest of the crew are just too stupid to read them!
    The bridge needs a code to enter, as is apparent when Rush gets there.

    TuMulTusX wrote:
    So far, there has been nothing explained at all. Everything was 'off-screen' and left to the viewer's imagination, interpretion and translation. The only thing this show is focusing on is melodrama. In fact, the writers make it clear that everyone gets the feelings of the 'whiner of the week' by explaining their emotions 38 minutes per episode. The sci-fi elements on the other hand get fixed and solved with religion and magic or - - as shown in numerous episodes - via dreams and hallucinations.
    They've all been adequately explained. The SGU crew has taken the controversial tact of assuming that their viewers aren't goldfish who need plot points spelled out for them every five seconds.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of PikerPeat

    PikerPeat

    [149]Nov 5, 2010
    • member since: 05/11/06
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 32
    Vee_ro wrote:
    to be honest all they have to do to not get caned would be to put some action in it. Right now the story seems to move foward like a slug..I mean..one season is past and all they've acomplished is to have rush get the security code.
    It would be nice if they actualy start to "turn the ship around" and head for earth while they begin to search the new worlds for technology that might get them there faster.

    If they do that I wouldn't care about all the drama and crew mingling that can be there as well.


    To me as a dedicated Sci-Fi fan, the irrelevant melodrama garbage ruins the whole series. No wonder the ratings suck.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ndrose

    ndrose

    [150]Nov 10, 2010
    • member since: 10/02/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 92

    It's like watching a really slow train wreck --- & depressing.... I understand that they wanted to make a more serious version of the Stargate series but I don't want to watch something so depressing. Maybe it's the Spaceship version of the Titanic. How many more characters can they kill off? Does the show end when they run out of people?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MOSTCAPABLEONE

    MOSTCAPABLEONE

    [151]Nov 10, 2010
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,477

    someguy0830 wrote:
    TuMulTusX wrote:
    "He found the master code through the use of a program designed to decipher it ... " - you forgot to mention that this was a dream sequence / hallucination! How cool, creating a computer program while sleeping and discover world's secrets during your nap!
    Uh, no. Again, watch the episode. Rush used the chair to find the principle behind the master code, then devised the program.
    TuMulTusX wrote:
    "The ship has schematics ... " ... Sure! Eli and the rest of the crew are just too stupid to read them!
    The bridge needs a code to enter, as is apparent when Rush gets there.
    TuMulTusX wrote:
    So far, there has been nothing explained at all. Everything was 'off-screen' and left to the viewer's imagination, interpretion and translation. The only thing this show is focusing on is melodrama. In fact, the writers make it clear that everyone gets the feelings of the 'whiner of the week' by explaining their emotions 38 minutes per episode. The sci-fi elements on the other hand get fixed and solved with religion and magic or - - as shown in numerous episodes - via dreams and hallucinations.
    They've all been adequately explained. The SGU crew has taken the controversial tact of assuming that their viewers aren't goldfish who need plot points spelled out for them every five seconds.
    They have not been adequately explained. Everything that Rush explained in "The Greater Good" was new to the viewing audience. Each time he went into that room...now known as the bridge...it was left to the viewers imagination what he discovered and if he was hallucinating or not. The only information that came out and was displayed was that he cracked the code and was able to fly the ship manually.....

    Edited on 11/11/2010 9:04am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of someguy0830

    someguy0830

    [152]Nov 10, 2010
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 10,103
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    They have not been adequately explained. Everything the Rush explained in "The Greater Good" was new to the viewing audience. Each time he went into that room...now known as the bridge...it was left to the viewers imagination what he discovered and if he was hallucinating or not. The only information that came out and was displayed was that he cracked the code and was able to fly the ship manually.....
    Of course the revelations in "The Greater Good" were new, that was the point. Everything about finding the bridge wasn't. We knew that already.

    The points brought up in the quote were adequately explained the first time around. They just don't spell it out for you. They assume you to be capable of drawing a simple conclusion.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Yaspaa

    Yaspaa

    [153]Nov 10, 2010
    • member since: 02/12/07
    • level: 79
    • rank: "Make It So"
    • posts: 1,871
    It's about time the so called fans realised than SGU is an investment, not a casual experience.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MOSTCAPABLEONE

    MOSTCAPABLEONE

    [154]Nov 11, 2010
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,477
    someguy0830 wrote:
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    They have not been adequately explained. Everything the Rush explained in "The Greater Good" was new to the viewing audience. Each time he went into that room...now known as the bridge...it was left to the viewers imagination what he discovered and if he was hallucinating or not. The only information that came out and was displayed was that he cracked the code and was able to fly the ship manually.....
    Of course the revelations in "The Greater Good" were new, that was the point. Everything about finding the bridge wasn't. We knew that already.

    The points brought up in the quote were adequately explained the first time around. They just don't spell it out for you. They assume you to be capable of drawing a simple conclusion.


    Adequately explained....spell it out for you...

    If it was adequately explained, there would be no need to have it spelled out.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of someguy0830

    someguy0830

    [155]Nov 11, 2010
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 10,103
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Adequately explained....spell it out for you...

    If it was adequately explained, there would be no need to have it spelled out.
    Which it was, and thus there's no need.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Yaspaa

    Yaspaa

    [156]Nov 11, 2010
    • member since: 02/12/07
    • level: 79
    • rank: "Make It So"
    • posts: 1,871
    Why do you need things spelled out anyway? 2+2 = ? It's not hard to figure the answer.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MOSTCAPABLEONE

    MOSTCAPABLEONE

    [157]Nov 11, 2010
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,477
    Yaspaa wrote:
    Why do you need things spelled out anyway? 2+2 = ? It's not hard to figure the answer.


    You need things spelled out clearly to know the exact intent of the writers. You don't want to think there is one end game for the show only to find out later it was something totally different. In another show "No Ordinary Family", it seemed clear to the mind reading daughter that her professor was sleeping with his student. When the final tally was in and everything was spelled out clearly, it turned out to be something totally different. Remember, this is Sci Fi, and it needs to be clear.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of someguy0830

    someguy0830

    [158]Nov 11, 2010
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 10,103
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    You need things spelled out clearly to know the exact intent of the writers. You don't want to think there is one end game for the show only to find out later it was something totally different. In another show "No Ordinary Family", it seemed clear to the mind reading daughter that her professor was sleeping with his student. When the final tally was in and everything was spelled out clearly, it turned out to be something totally different. Remember, this is Sci Fi, and it needs to be clear.
    Except that's hardly the same thing. Rush found the code, which it was explained to us last season how, then unlocked the bridge. The only real question there is how he found it so quickly, and that's a conclusion that doesn't take long to reach from watching previous episodes.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of torrijos

    torrijos

    [159]Nov 12, 2010
    • member since: 11/09/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 252
    So quickly?!

    The programs had been running non stop for more than 3 months.

    They found the clue and wrote the program to look for the code in the episode "Human", in the episode "Sabotage" they had to spend 3 months floating in space while working on detaching one of the ship's engines, and after that some more weeks past. It was fast, but not that fast.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Yaspaa

    Yaspaa

    [160]Nov 12, 2010
    • member since: 02/12/07
    • level: 79
    • rank: "Make It So"
    • posts: 1,871
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Yaspaa wrote:
    Why do you need things spelled out anyway? 2+2 = ? It's not hard to figure the answer.


    You need things spelled out clearly to know the exact intent of the writers. You don't want to think there is one end game for the show only to find out later it was something totally different. In another show "No Ordinary Family", it seemed clear to the mind reading daughter that her professor was sleeping with his student. When the final tally was in and everything was spelled out clearly, it turned out to be something totally different. Remember, this is Sci Fi, and it needs to be clear.

    It is clear though, it seems to me you've gotten distracted and missed something, it happens, but it isn't the show's fault.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.