Syfy (ended 2011)

The Hydroponics Lab - The Official Show Rant/Complaint Thread

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[161]Nov 15, 2010
    • level: 13
    Yaspaa wrote:
    MOSTCAPABLEONE wrote:
    Yaspaa wrote:
    Why do you need things spelled out anyway? 2+2 = ? It's not hard to figure the answer.

You need things spelled out clearly to know the exact intent of the writers. You don't want to think there is one end game for the show only to find out later it was something totally different. In another show "No Ordinary Family", it seemed clear to the mind reading daughter that her professor was sleeping with his student. When the final tally was in and everything was spelled out clearly, it turned out to be something totally different. Remember, this is Sci Fi, and it needs to be clear.

It is clear though, it seems to me you've gotten distracted and missed something, it happens, but it isn't the show's fault.

It's not that I missed something, or was distracted. Moreover, it is with what was shown being too kryptic and all over the place, endless possibilities could have be assumed. I guess the more open your mind is to endless possibilities and the greater your intellect is to accept new concepts, the more you would understand the countless possibilities that could have been assumed from what was scripted.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Yaspaa

[162]Nov 15, 2010
    • level: 79
    Exactly, endless possibilities, isn't that what sci-fi is all about. Any loose ends just aren't wrapped up in 45mins, they get explained at a later date.

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[163]Nov 17, 2010
    • level: 13
    Yaspaa wrote:
    Exactly, endless possibilities, isn't that what sci-fi is all about. Any loose ends just aren't wrapped up in 45mins, they get explained at a later date.

Endless possibilities in a sci-fi show produce one outcome. The endless possibilities entices one's curiosity to watch. However, one's curiosity dwindles when it takes too long for a show to go in a clerly stated and defined direction and if that direction seems lack luster. unclear, or the least plausible.

MajLorne

[164]Nov 24, 2010
    • level: 21
    Agreed. I don't mind waiting a few episodes for an explaination compared to everything being wrapped up in 1 episode. But if it drags on for like 6+ episodes, then I lose interest in it. I mean not saying resolve it right away, but at least throw me a line or something of info about it. Like this recent episode - other than getting the shuttle back and the situation with Chloe, it was a total waste of time, a filler.

NunoAlexRocha80

[165]Nov 25, 2010
    • level: 3
    I think I get it.
    I love to exercise my imagination, but when I fell I lack data, it loses interest, like MajLorne said, we don't need everything in one episodes, but small doses would be nice, to spice the imagination.

Bytor65

[167]Dec 21, 2010
    • level: 6

I don't think this show failed because it was slow(I liked Rubicon), too adult(I thought it was childish), or because of angry SGA fans (I didn't really like SGA).

It failed because it was nearly unwatchable.

The crew were a bunch of incompetent morons who spent all their time shrieking/weeping at each other.

Other than the setting, it didn't draw anything from SciFi, the genres it drew most from are Soap Operas and reality TV, two genres I despise.

It was essentially "Days of our lives" meets "Big Brother" in space. I don't think the Soap aspect needs any explanation, but if you doubt the reality show influence, look at the constant fights over any small issue, look at the reality like confession cameras they used.

For me this show was painful to watch (I skipped most of the first season) and even the episodes I did watch were totally predictable with yet another pointless shouting/shoving match. Playground stuff.

I really hope this is the end of trying to out BSG, BSG. Which both this and Caprica seemed to be attempting.

jtodnem

[168]Jan 9, 2011
    • level: 8

i vote go download the movies and series that way noone of the tv companyes make any money
    and they HATE U FOR IT so go download its the best way to but those freeking stupid money hungry tv companys to their grave i used to have syfy and loads of other pay channels so i could watch my favorite shows but they just screw u so now i have no tv and loads of free hd content on my hardrive have funn tv ul newer c my money again

Ajclannachan

[169]Apr 27, 2011
    • level: 8

It seems to me that the people on here who dont like SGU clearly dont pay attention. Need to be spoon fed every little detail cause they dont have the ability to think for themselves or they just dont watch the show and love to have a pop at it.

Have any of you actually watched the SG1 movies they made after the series. They where crap! same old same old. dash of ancients. throw in the ori oh and the replicators for good measure. SG1 & SGA the formula wasnt working anymore. If they made another show like that maybe the few brain dead I like reality tv and I want all the answers now may have watched but the show, but it would have been poor I dont need to think ****

It takes time for a Show to develop. I loved SG1 and SGA and I wished they had made an SGA movie an not 2 SG1 films. I am a true stargate and SCI-Fi fan. I was sceptical about SGU but if you watch the show pay attention it is acted, written & produced better than any of the previous stargate series. Its just taken time for them to figure out how to get the show right. I think this season they have done that and it was just getting better and better.

Who killed Stargate? Stupid idiots who claim to be sci-fi/Stargate fans. Im sorry SGU isnt 4 people on a team week in week out doing the same crap in different ways. The funny leader, the scientist who can solve any problem no matter what. The quiet but can never loose a fight big guy and finally the moral compass. Each week they go through the gate something happens. a few quips and shooting. The scientist thinks up a crazy plan. They execute it and bamb its over. HOW MANY EPISODES OF STARGATE DOES THAT DISCRIPTION APPLY TO???? not all of them but allot.

SGU actually dared to try something new. Be interesting. They where galaxy hopping so they could change enemy as much as they wanted. Find new cultures, new aliens, CHARATER DEVELOPMENT. It would annoy the hell out of me the way they would never talk about what has happend of previous episodes. Sheppard "I hate those bugs" wow really.

I have to admit the people who made SGU made a mistake of saying stargate for a new generation that was a nail in the coffin from the start, but if you watch the show you have to say season 2 has been better than any pervious season of stargate and the show was only going to get better.

Oh and the ratings... How many people around the world watch tv online now??? I live in England and I watch all my shows online cause they show them first in America and then I will buy them on DVD if its a show I like. So the way they have gathered their stats is wrong. I just hope all you haters who didnt give the show a chance feel good about killing ALL FUTURE STARGATE for what could be years if it ever comes back. Just cause it didnt follow the same old done to death stargate formula. At least the people who make Family guy wait for the world wide DVD sales before renewing the series. Its a shame SYFI didnt have the brains to do the same.

If SGA had been put under the same pressure as SGU it would have been cancelled no doubt at the end of season 2. The economy, bad network and idiots who claim to have a brain and say oh yeah I gave SGU a chance... lol yeah right! most of the people commenting dont even know whats going on in the show, but they feel they have a right to run it down??

Anyway. SGU is probably the best sci-fi program on the tv either that or Fringe and it could have been the best Stargate by a country mile, but I guess it wont get the chance. Jesus I sometimes wonder about society and where it is going... Reality TV, obesity, Lazy, I want everything now for free and I dont want to think just tell me. idiots!! and most of them seem to be the ones hating on SGU.

poggie

[170]May 10, 2011
    • level: 5
    althalus69 wrote:
    This is like a frakking version of "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" only with less ... everything (and last weeks magical number "42" was too close to comfort)

Seriously, like a frakking tourist trip in space, the bus speeds along, they get out, gawk at the pretty sights, do some infighting and then board the bus again. Those who are late or tardy don't get desert...and have to be picked up by aliens (probably had their towels ready) and be brought back to the bus.

And since there's nothing else to do, people start emoting. And talent gets wasted...and we are getting subjected to listen to classical music for 45 minutes and wondering whether Rush and Daniel Jackson should get it on together or involve dying wife in a threesome.

There is nothing to see, people. This is all we get. Pretty sights, no explanations, no mysteries. Just drama and a round trip through the galaxy(ies). Even Voyager was more interesting...

I am seriously giving up on this, but yet... I like watching this train wreck.

I think you are mixing up my science fiction themes with your ability to keep them separate and in context while using them in a single topic post.

This causes pain in the part of the brain that cannot contemplate it's own ability to contemplate things.

I wouldn't give up just yet, you.. oh wait... Daggers!

Bytor65

[171]May 25, 2011
    • level: 6
    Ajclannachan wrote:

It seems to me that the people on here who dont like SGU clearly dont pay attention. Need to be spoon fed every little detail cause they dont have the ability to think for themselves or they just dont watch the show and love to have a pop at it.

Who killed Stargate? Stupid idiots who claim to be sci-fi/Stargate fans. Jesus I sometimes wonder about society and where it is going... Reality TV, obesity, Lazy, I want everything now for free and I dont want to think just tell me. idiots!! and most of them seem to be the ones hating on SGU.

Wow. Do you feel better after throwing a tantrum and calling everyone who didn't like your little unloved show idiots? I reacted better than that when I was six years old and they cancelled my favorite show: Planet of the Apes.

I do find it amusing that you harp on Reality shows, because that is one of the things I hated most about SGU. It was essentially "Big Brother" on a space ship. A bunch of annoying twenty-something morons screaming/weeping and backstabbing each other. Complete with the confession(kino) cameras.

If you want a good adult drama, watch "The Wire". It's on DVD and complete.

This show was simply Big Brother meets 90210, that just happened to have a spaceship backdrop. Hopefully this failure is the final nail in the coffin of teen soap/reality show inspired "Science Fiction".

blakbluu

[174]Jul 10, 2011
    • level: 3

This show was not intended for the ADD or ADHD crowd. if your attention span isnt long enough then you will have trouble following. Personnally, I enjoyed a show that took time in developing the characters. Try Stargate Atlantis if you want a quick mindless episode of Stargate. You can tell by the intro, this show was written to take a while to understand the full story.

For instance when the seed ship was discovered, it was intended to arc the story to the time travel and uber-advanced descendants of the Destiny, which i believe created the drones, which hunted them. That is a deep story that many will not want to wait for.

SilentOkami

[175]Jul 12, 2011
    • level: 1

NunoAlexRocha80 wrote:
    I think I get it. I love to exercise my imagination, but when I fell I lack data, it loses interest, like MajLorne said, we don't need everything in one episodes, but small doses would be nice, to spice the imagination.

People who feel they are missing data are quite frankly not watching the show entirely or properly. Everything but the big mystery has been answered in pretty much every way except by spelling it out for you.

SGU has done alot right compared to it's predecessor's. Better character and story development. Not dumbed down for the masses. This is not a show for everybody. If you don't like it that is perfectly fine. I thought this show had a ton of potential. Done right this really could have been the next great sci-fi show.

Where SGU goes wrong is really in its direction. It is fairly obvious that the shows "director's" as it were really did not know where the show was going or changed it's direction several times throughout the show. Also it is a fairly depressing show atm, far too much drama in my opinion. There should be more heroes in the show or heroic moments. I don't really want to watch a show where the people get beaten down all the time by their situation, I have my life for that. But watching people break through impossible odds and figure there way out of hard situations is great to watch and it happens really infrequently on SGU.

Basically, the show failed in it's execution.

SG-1 and SGA were the opposite really in that there were way too many copouts and heroic moments. So formulaic you could watch the show without sound and still not miss anything. I think if they had found a middle ground between the two shows there would be something great about it. Firefly did much of what SGU tried to do, right.

I won't purchase SGU, and in the end that is how I grade a show.

**Edit for failure in site formating**

Edited on 07/12/2011 1:51am

Yaspaa

[176]Jul 12, 2011
    blakbluu wrote:

This show was not intended for the ADD or ADHD crowd. if your attention span isnt long enough then you will have trouble following. Personnally, I enjoyed a show that took time in developing the characters. Try Stargate Atlantis if you want a quick mindless episode of Stargate. You can tell by the intro, this show was written to take a while to understand the full story.

For instance when the seed ship was discovered, it was intended to arc the story to the time travel and uber-advanced descendants of the Destiny, which i believe created the drones, which hunted them. That is a deep story that many will not want to wait for.

Pleased somebody gets it.

WalterBosello

[177]Aug 28, 2011
    • level: 4

Ah! the official Rant/Complaint thread!

I've read some pages of comments. Interesting arguments! I'm not sure if I might be repeating something someone else already said but here I go.

The whole "predictability" thing...I see it this way. Some shows like, for instance, SG1 or SGA clearly don't take themselves seriously. Don't get me wrong. I love those shows and they have some incredible sci-fi moments. But they're also made for a wide target (the whole family). Most of the times the are predictable: of course! If I was a father and my kid (let's say 12 year old) watched the show I wouldn't want him to see the protagonist die in a horrid way or become an ass. I'd need my kid to have a strong example from the show's main character: loyal, strong-willed, caring, etcetera.A show that is based on stereotypes such as these could no take itself seriously.

SGU started of taking itself very seriously. The writers were very straight-forward about this. The tone was "If those were the premises, this could really happen!". It's risky, in my opinion, because the viewer is more alert on certain matters (see many of the previous posts). Greer stuck that escapes and the Kino which convenientrly finds the exit would not matter much to many, if these scenes were in SG1. But the fact they are in Universe does matter.

People stranded in a cave, on an uncharted planet..of and uncharted galaxy...who knows where in the universe...make it out alive? This is a personal opinion, but if I was the writer I would have "killed" someone in that "mission", just to remind my audience that I'm taking myself seriously and that this show is in fact different. "Problem is" all actors eventually have a contract (bla bla bla).

Enough with the "convenient" and "predictable" (which this show in fact was less than many others!).

Another complain I've read was "it's for a younger audience". I'm puzzled by this. The writers were very straight forward about this too. They said that they were going to have a "younger cast", but I'm not sure what they thought about the final audience. I'm 34 years old and when I watched this show I thought "It wants to be realistic but somehow I don't think a bunch of kids should be on such a mission". Of course I'm now referring to the "Destiny mission", but the mission previous the Lucian alliance's attack in the first episode. Ok Eli (he was the only one that could solve that...videogame thing...very 80's idea), but what about the others?

So in the end most of the crew is younger...ergo younger audience...hmmm...could be but I have mixed thoughts about this. It'd be nice to have statistics at hand

One big complain *I* have is how "depressive" the show is. I know many have said this already. I just feel like stating it in my way.
    I like creative writing and I love when negotiations go sour and people turn on each other but, sheesh, the pessimism! The negativity!

It seems like in this show keeps you on your toes to see who's getting punched or yelled at next time, rather than what are the aliens going to do.
    I thought this was a shame. That's basically why I stopped watching it (mid 3rd season)

Another complain I have are the stones. I started hating "the stones" in SG1 (in the ancient device's version). It was cool in the beginning but I quickly got bored of it. In SG1 at they went to an unexplored galaxy. Here they go back on Earth. It is kinda ok at the beginning because we get lots of controversy (it's someone else's body! who are you? how can you convince your family it is you? etc.)...some people were very pissed about this. I personally think it IS sci fi and INTERESTING. Then it got very very very boring. same situations over and over and no developements on the tech.

Another complain I have is the techno-babble. Tapping was great at it. I'd almost watch episodes just to get to the part where she would bable something ridiculus (the singularity is approaching! If we reverse-engineer the DHD device I blablabla) hahaha it was phoenomenal. I loved it. Hewlett in SGA did also a great job. Both of them, when talking would most of the time convey the urgence of the moment and how complext the operation they had to do was.
    In SGU of course it is different. The writers intention is to convey the ineptitude of the crew (these are the wrong people...) so you get Rush most of the time saying something like "I don't know! It's just stuck...ok? And unless you want me to (...)". So that's a downer too, in my opinion. It is true that good sci fi should not be too easy, but in SGU most of the time it would seem they just couldn't get anything done except wait for the ship to solve their problems.

It's not like it doesn't make sense. It is natural that if they wouldn't get any sort of help they would all die very quickly. ergo the ship gets energy, the ship jumps to habitable and food-containing planets, etc. It's just that over two seasons and a half almost no progress is made by the crew. So we get to my final point.

The crew...surely good actors. I couldn't get interested in the characters, though. Lots of people have said that there's a lot of character building in this show. Perhaps. Perhaps there's been a lot of character EXPLORATION...on this I would surely agree! Character building is about the character's past, present and future. But if a story wants to be interesting, character building must be about the character's changes made through the story itself. Few characters changed in SGU.
    Why do I think this if I'm a fan of SG1? because of what I said before. SG1 simply is NOT this kind of show. Battlestar Galactica has the perfect example of character building. Gaius Baltar is described and seen in such multiple ways by the audience (also through other characters eyes!) and in the end he's not the man he was at the beginning of the show, but completely different. A man that was at first clueless in the end has a purpose, and in the process has been many different things.
    SGU in my opinion doesn't do much in this regard. Yes we have an initial situation between Young and Rush that degenerates and than "regenerates" a bit and then....well it's back to how it was before. All other characters? Meh I even forgot most of their names :-/

I don't know: I think characters were the weakest spot. They generated lots of drama and not a lot of sci fi

I would actually go on writing but I think I'll do some music instead!

cheerio!

Walter

Yaspaa

[178]Aug 31, 2011
    Baltar's charater changes for obvious reasons, the rest of the cast of BG don't, they are who they are, not to mention BG is far more depressive than SGU. The SG1/SGA characters are the same from episode 1 until the end, no depth, no growth. Also there have only been two seasons of SGU, the second of which was finding itself in leaps and bounds.

WalterBosello

[179]Sep 12, 2011
    • level: 4

Yaspaa wrote:
    Baltar's charater changes for obvious reasons, the rest of the cast of BG don't, they are who they are, not to mention BG is far more depressive than SGU. The SG1/SGA characters are the same from episode 1 until the end, no depth, no growth. Also there have only been two seasons of SGU, the second of which was finding itself in leaps and bounds.

I guess Baltar's Character does in fact change for good reasons: he's talking to a ghost and she convinces him to do and be many things. On the other hand I disagree other characters don't change. I think the final 5 do change throughout the seasons, when they start realizing they're what they were fighting. Also other characters who at first you would think were "stable" give you some surprises (I'm thinking Dee who suicides and Gaeta who is executed).

I think SG1/SGA's characters are meant not to change simply because those shows use a different kind of storytelling (self-concluding episodes) and have a different target (children are included).

And you're totally right! BSG is indeed far more depressive than SGU in oh so many ways! But for some reason I haven't fully explores, it still triggered in me the will to watch it until the end and to think it was the hell of a story to tell. I think it has to do with the narration style and with the character development. Oh yes: I still hate the shaky cam and unfortunately you get that a lot in BSG.

Finally: It is sad indeed that SGU was cancelled when things were starting to change and move forward, but I guess the audience just wasn't interested anymore. I'm sorry they wouldn't yet air it here in Italy: maybe we could have contributed to make it stay. As much as I would love this franchise to go on I must surrender to people's judgement on their last show. There were too many against it and too few watching it

Yaspaa

[180]Jan 19, 2012
    Over 3200 people have ticked the new check button for this show, which is a significant amount for a cancelled show, nice to see there's love out there for it. Thanks for the comment Walter.