Stargate Universe

Aired Monday 9:00 PM May 09, 2011 on Syfy

• A decent episode but a pretty unsatisfactory series final.

Ok I admit 5.5 is probably a little severe but coming off such an excellent run with the last three episodes I found this to be an abysmal disappointment. It contained elements of a decent finale but for those of us interested in something even approaching a resolution to the plot it was a complete flop.

The same formula of over-dramatic, drama for the sake of drama, dull, slow paced and plotless drivel that caused the series to be cancelled came back full force in this episode. I genuinely enjoyed the end scene but it REALLY didn't need to take 45 minutes to get there, the fact that they are in space and "it's so hard on my social life" has been established and established and established, we don't need to see 20 minutes of earth visits!

I have seen comments comparing this episode favourably to the final of Atlantis where the entire thing was rushed into a conclusion which was downright insulting. In that regard I agree, this is a much better resolution. But the producers of this show had ample warning that the series was ending, 10 episodes is more than enough to establish an appropriate and satisfactory ending. Instead we get RUBBISH "filler" episodes like "the hunt" and the entire series culminating in a perpetual mid-series cliff hanger. So I suppose I will ask that you excuse the rating, it is my opinion of the wrap up of the series rather than the episode itself.