Stargate Universe

Intervention (3)

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Sep 28, 2010 on Syfy

• Bad bad bad.

First time i have commented but just so BAD i had to write something somewhere.

Get the previous Star Gate writers back. Universe has so much potential and each episode is worse than the last. This series won't last. Boring episodes and the series is going nowhere !

Explore the bloody ship ! If i wanted a drama I'd watch 'days of our lives' !

Really people, with such successes of the previous Star Gate series why on earth, or any planet :-), would you go so far from the original filming style. This episode was so predictable, and the long music scenes at the end of most episode are getting old very fast.
  • Brilliant start to the season!

This is my first review here and it's in response to the preview review which assigned this episode a 3/10.

Whilst I agree that this show is not Stargate as we know it, I think after 15 seasons of the same formula something needed to change. And I, for one, love the new series just as much as the old ones.

I instantly fell in love with the supporting and recurring characters from the Lucian Alliance. Former Prison Break star Robert Knepper made a subtle introduction but I'm looking forward to his story coming to light. The gorgeous Julie McNiven, who I recognised from the fantastic Mad Men, gave an excellent performance as did Mike Dpoud as Varro. The two former being the ones I hope stick around the most.

The guest appearance by Ian Butcher as the psychotic Dannic was everything you could ask for in a one shot performance.

As mentioned in another review the apparent Deux ex Machina of last seasons climaxes was a little disapppoining, I feel at least one major character should have been killed off, I hope that the reprocussions will be more interesting than simple shock value.

The special effects, as always, were superb along with acting. The stand out performance of this episode must be given to Col Young. The exile scene was just a pleasure to watch and considering he spoke very little in the episode, I really felt like we went through an emotional journey with him and and can't wait too see how it plays out.

The return of the characters from Faith was also a nice touch and Chloe's situation also keeps me waiting for answers.
  • A good, if not perfect, start to the season

"Stargate Universe" used its first season to redefine the boundaries of a show in the Stargate franchise, focusing on a tighter plot continuity as well as a much darker array of complicated, flawed characters. The result was a success, especially among formerly jaded Stargate fans who initially refused to give SGU the time of day, only to be enthralled.

I was a fan from the get-go, having grown tired of the formulaic nature of "Stargate Atlantis" by the end of its run, so I was definitely looking forward to the series' return. And for the most part, it managed to live up to the expectations, with a few minor points.

Perhaps most annoying was the seemingly easy resolution to the first season finale cliffhangers. After setting up so many untenable situations, putting so many characters in immediate peril, it was a bit too easy to have everyone intact by the end of the first act. In particular, Young's survival felt like a cheat, as he really had no part in it.

However, this is SGU, and it's never that easy. One way or another, unless they toss the captives out an airlock, they now have more mouths to feed. I wouldn't necessarily mind having some of these Lucian Alliance survivors eventually involved in the story, though. For one thing, they would make great cannon fodder to keep the stakes nice and high. But I also thought the redhead in the leather top could have used some more screen time. (OK, so I'm shallow!)

SGU has done a great job of spooling out consequences. Rush made a tough call to ensure that his people regained control of the ship, and I doubt that will be forgotten in any respect. Young is going to have to come to terms with the fact that it was a combined military/civilian effort that saved the ship, but it took the civilian strategy to do it. Never mind his personal loss, and how that will affect TJ. (As tragic as it was, I'm thankful that it will keep the show from having to endure a "baby plot", as they almost always kill good shows.)

While I have no doubt that the fallout of this ordeal will be explored in detail over the course of the season (until the next crisis hits, at least), I do wonder if there was something specific that TJ's injury-induced vision was supposed to foreshadow. It's not like this series to leave mysteries lingering for too long, and that seemed just a bit too on the nose.
  • Welcome back SGU.

First episode back and we finally see the SG team back in control of the ship. The conclusion does feel a bit rushed and while not quite as dramatic as the previous episodes, it's a believable outcome in the end. Johansen's return to the planet sets up a few interesting questions for the future but slows the action down way too much - at least this means we're saved the boredom of 'how do I raise a kid on this ship?' story lines.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with the remaining Lucian Alliance members, but the almost retcon-like insertion of 'rentavillian' Robert Knepper (Samuel in Heroes) hints to him playing the bad guy to the more moderate Varro in the future.

Despite my quibles with SGU it's good to have it back, it's the only space-based SF on TV right now and while it might not be up there with the greats, it sometimes shows hints that it could be. Looking forward to the season to come.