Stargate Universe

Justice

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Dec 04, 2009 on Syfy

• As much as I hate to say it: after watching this episode I can't conclude anything but that this series doesn't deserve the name "Stargate".

It's a small portion of it's former self. It's lost all identify and characteristics. All the fun is gone, all the inspiration is gone, all optimism is gone. Humanity reduced to back stabbing unworthy human sacks of flesh who depict a future which I, personally, do not want to know.

This episode deals with a suspected murder which in the end turn out to be (or looks like) a suicide. After finding the body the crew is confined to the mess hall and all their rooms are searched for the murder weapon, eventually found in commander Young's quarters. Eventually Young is deemed innocent because somehow a recording shows up with on it the victim killing himself (????). This recording is found because Eli downloads the data of the sphere to his laptop of the past two hours so he can do his documentary and edit the footage (That's so weak!). Young finds out that Rush planted the weapon in his quarters (we don't know how) and confronts Rush on a planet with a spaceship (finally!) and then he leaves him behind after a confrontation, WTF. Leave a men behind?? When he's still alive? That doesn't sound like "Stargate" to me!! How about never leave a man behind ?(e.g. SG1 S02e16: "A Matter of Time"). Un-Stargate like to me, or am I missing something? The last 10 minutes of the episode where as engaging as the prior 35 minutes. It's a big shame. I wrote a review after the first two episodes of this series and my worst fears, described in my initial review, have come true. And I quote myself 10/03/2009 "In previous SciFi series the characters seems to have reached a higher, or better, level of understanding and seem to be better people than inhabit the Earth today. That has always seem to be a defying character aspect of all SciFi series (BSG excluded) and it's characters. There first two episodes seems to depict more "Survivor"-like characters then the I'm-always-righteous "James T. Kirk"-like character. I'm not yet sure what I think of this. Science Fiction has always been a glass-is-half-full kind of genre and I wouldn't like it to turn into a glass-is-half-empty kind of show." And this is a "the-glass-is-half-empty" show. Maybe there are viewers out there who can appreciate this level of scepticism but I personally am more of an optimist. Especially when I want to flee in a realm of Science Fiction. Although our current reality is a depressing one, I for one, would like to be shown an optimistic view of our future (how ever unrealistic it may be). Isn't that Science Fiction? One of my favourite qoutes about SciFi is: (SG1: I think the 200th) "Science fiction is an existential metaphor that allows us to tell stories about a human condition. Isaac Asimov once said: "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinded critics and philosophers of today; but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all." And although I love the Stargate series, where is our salvation when we are nothing more then back tabbing human sacks of flesh? It's a big shame. I hope the second half of this first season is better then the first half.