Stargate Universe

Pathogen

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Oct 19, 2010 on Syfy

7.7
  • An odd transitional episode

This was an odd episode, in that I kept waiting for something to happen with Chloe, and it never quite took that next step to pay off all the hints and foreboding. I'm not used to a "Stargate" show focusing on nothing but transitional character beats, so it was a little unsettling and a tad disappointing. If I didn't have the sense that this was a step on a much more substantial path, I would have panned the episode.

As it is, Chloe's alien influence is going to be an issue in future episodes, especially when Rush's bid for control of the ship takes its inevitable downward spiral. Rush is playing a dangerous game, and he seems to be rather cavalier about the unknowns in the equation. It's all going to come down to a confrontation with Young again, and it's just a matter of figuring out on which side the other pieces on the board will fall.

It may come down to Camille. At least some of the Lucien Alliance is becoming loyal to her, and if Young continues to come around, she may see him as a more stable ally than Rush at this point. But some elements of the Lucien Alliance (in particular, Simeon) are unlikely to fall into that camp, and could be a convenient source of support for Rush. Then again, those elements seem to be following their own agenda, and Rush could be seen as merely a means to an end.

This setup was mated with a couple of stories that seemed to be tossed in for filler, though I understand the intent. Camille and Eli each have personal struggles to maintain the faith of their loved ones, even as the hopes for true reunion become more and more tenuous. I would argue that these stories fulfill a humanizing need in the story itself, reminding the audience that the characters are not resigned to their fate.

More than that, it makes sense. We know Camille has been regularly using the stones to maintain contact with the IOA and what not, so she is a touchstone to the familiar. But after the cruel moment in the previous episode, when everyone thought they would finally be going home, it makes sense to focus on a personal consequence.

The unfortunate part is that these subplots would have worked better if there was more of a balance to the episode. But all these low-key plot threads, while necessary in the bigger picture, just didn't come together as a solid whole. Robert Carlyle did a capable job as the director for the episode, but that wasn't enough to offset the relative lack of tension.