Stargate Universe

Resurgence (1)

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Nov 30, 2010 on Syfy

• Why the great reviews? (as usual, beware of spoilers)

Just like last season, the series will go on hiatus for the next months, with Resurgence being the cliffhanger to the second half of the season. This episode was well received by the audience.

I find that rather surprising since the story is a real mess. Here are some of the problems:

- To get to the energy signature that Destiny picked up, a one-day-detour is required, and God knows what awaits them once they get there. The crew would usually decide against this. Now they suddenly want to go. When Mr. Volker asks the others this, they just ignore him. No explanation given.

- The crew then decide on a careful exploration. So before they go, they should consider possible problems to take precautions. They don't. Why? No explanation given. Assuming that „everything is long dead" is just idiotic – what about booby traps or scavengers or a thousand other things?

- The next 13 minutes, we see the shuttle go over, and one of the old ships is boarded. Literally nothing happens in those 13 minutes.

- Next we have a fast-paced, good-looking action sequence with a deus-ex-machina escape. This is the best part of the episode; no complaints.

- The whole Ursini-story doesn't add up at all. Try to understand who was where when and for how long, it doesn't make any sense.

- Destiny and the seed-ship go to FTL together. If this went wrong, the series would be over, which means it cannot go wrong, which means it isn't interesting. Same for the final battle scene – Destiny cannot possibly be destroyed, so there is no tension.

- Inbetween we have three Eli-scenes which aren't very convincing either.

All in all, this episode has two good-looking, but not very exciting battlescenes – and that's all. There is nothing else. Why does that get such good reviews? Is the average SG-U-audience already so bored with the series that they are just glad to see some action and don't even expect a story anymore?

The only good thing I have to say about this episode is that Lou Diamond Phillips is back. Oh, and they finally continue the extremely slow Chloe-arc.
  • Oh hell yes!

To sum this episode up in a word "YES!".

This is by far the best episode to date. Now I really know why they did all those lame and boring episodes. This episode felt alive and not just in the sense of Altantis and SG-1. This episode felt more than both of the previous Stargate series combined and I would like to think it is because of those tedious boring epsiodes. The character building the unessecary long talks all lead upto a episode style that would change the way Stargate was done. I am pleased to say it has and for the better.

I don't know about everyone else but I will spend the next week just thinking about the next Stargate episode now. This is the first time for SGU that I have ever been this hooked onto a segment of the storyline and I like it :).

The battle scene is like none other I have seen. Watching the HD version of this episode was surreal and very involving. This show was definitely made for a 35" HD TV.

The seed ship appearing just as it did in the nick of time was a good addition to this episode and the return of a familiar face was more than welcome, certainly not a depressing moment. The question now is: will Destiny survive this encounter and what will become of the relationship between us and this new "friend"? All I know is that I will be staying tuned to find out.

All round huge thumbs up for this episode.
  • And thus the journey continiues further into the, every lieing ahead, unknown. New challanges and even more perils.

The Destiny picks up a strange singal originating not far away. Crew decides to check out what it is. At first everything seem in order, but minutes later all hell breaks loose. A most unexpected aid comes to the rescue only to lead the Destiny into even greater danger that might prove too overwhealming for the, still, inexpirienced ship's inhabitants. An uncertain ending, which leaves place for countless guesses as to what happens next might keep the vievers eager to watch the next episode. Most of us were taught not to judge a book by it's cover. This episode is a perfect depiction of this old saying.
  • Things hit the fan for the mid-season finale

.spoilers.

After the earlier bumps this season, SGU continues with it's current good run. We get a get a great episode that starts with a cool, somewhat creepy premise and then becomes an all out action piece.

The battlefield/graveyard looked great, I really like the Ursini's ship design - chunky and somewhat reminiscent of original BSG designs. As much as I was glad to see Telford turn up, the seed ship arriving in the nick of time was a really blatant co-incidence, but it hardly ruins the episode. Then to aid in their escape they flee through the star's corona - remembering to show Destiny recharging (a nice touch).

It's interesting to see that the Ursini either have a very human-like psychology or that they learn quickly, anticipating getting ditched by the humans and hatching their own plans first. Their war with the as-yet unseen enemy is not very clear, but it seems Destiny may get pulled in after this encounter.

Again, we see some very shoddy guarding by the supposedly trained military crew - Zombie Chloe gets out and does something. Whether she's called the blue aliens for help, hacked into Destiny to make it do something, or as someone else noted on here maybe control the seedship, we'll find out in a few months. I hate mid-season breaks.

We leave the episode with the Destiny in serious trouble - we all know it's hardly going to blow up, but cheesy as it sounds, I can't wait for the next episode.
  • In this episode they venture off course to check out what appears to be an old battle ground and get double crossed, Exciting !!!

Was a great episode. The show is really heating up. Rush should of known better than to veer off course but, is a tv show this is what makes it exciting twist in the story. AS soon as they got to the battle ground you could tell something was going to happen it was a bit predicable. What is interesting is how things just get worse and they stick together fairly well as a team. The civilians an the military personal seem to be working together much better in the second season. The Double cross was even a bit predicable but I am a huge fan of Stargate so my opinions are biased in favor of...
  • Good episode, Good storyline so far in the SGU series.

Outstanding,The best episode so far in the SGU series.
    Outstanding episode I give it 7.5/10.
    These are my ratings of the episode lists of the whole SGU Season One & Two. Stars out of FOUR.

101-Air, Part 1 **1/2 63/100
    207-The Greater Good ***1/2 88/100
    208-Malice *** 75/100
    209-Visitation **1/2 63/100
    210-Resurgence *** 75/100

Well done. I think the storyline of the series is going to be interesting as I find it and ratings are getting better for Stargate Universe.
  • The best episode so far!

I couldn't agree more with the previous reviews that this was the best episode in SGU series so far. I almost got worried about the second season going through with the same "boring" episodes and ending like that. Luckily, I think this is about to change as we saw on this episode. The second season has come to it's midpoint as there are now 10 episodes left to see, they couldn't have found a better point to give the story a huge turn :) There are many questions going through my mind right now and one of them is "will the Destiny survive the attack". I guess we will find out on the next episode "Deliverance (Part 2)" which I'm guessing is airing on Dec 07, 2010.
  • SGU, is a beautiful serie, hope that it will continue for years to come. For what happened in resurgence i think what Chloe did will change the outcome of this fight in my opinion by one of two ways

SGU, is a beautiful serie, yes it's not as strong as SGU or SGA, but hope that it will continue for years to com.
    For what happened in resurgence i think what Chloe did will change the outcome of this fight in my opinion by one of two ways:
    1- Either she sent a signal to the aliens that she is turning to, and they will come and engage the drones not for the sack of the crew but to safe guard there crown prize destiny.
    2-or -in my opinion more probable because of no human presence in the seed ship in the time of the fight-she have taken control of the seed ship and will make it crash in to the command ship to disable the drones.
    What do u think?
  • Finally!! The show I was expecting!

After almost a season and a half, the show finally picked up the pace!

Great Episode! I think it is quite clear that a lot of plot lines are being opened, chloe, the aliens, destiny's mission. A lot of pieces seem to have been flying in the air and are slowly being fit into their places. This particular episode had everything on it, something I kind of missed from all the other ones before it. Character development, action, intrigue.... before this one episode, I found myself almost always feeling that the writters made a lot of enphasys on only one side.