Stargate Universe

Subversion

Aired Monday 9:00 PM May 21, 2010 on Syfy

• Enjoyable episode.

Spoilers ahead naturally.

A good episode for the most part. It was interesting to see Young trying to decide who he hates more - Rush or Telford, then being pleasantly surprised Rush was telling the truth. The threat implied by the new 'Icarus' planet gives a nice opportunity for many rivals to attempt to board Destiny as long as they can find the right planet. Telford really is someone you love to hate, now even more so, hopefully he's just a traitor and not brainwashed as that makes him much more fun.

As for the SG1 elements, I'm a bit conflicted. It's nice to see General O'Neill and Dr Jackson involved as it's hard not to miss their characters, but I don't really care to see the Lucian Alliance or the other races from the older SG shows getting involved, Destiny is many galaxies away - can't we have more threats from there instead? This might be an attempt to keep the SG-1 fans satisfied and interested, but personally I'd rather they kept the ties as thin as possible.

I'm still not sure why Rush blabs his own name rather than someone else, couldn't he have pretended to be Greer for example just as easily? Then he wouldn't have to have helped the Alliance with the 9th chevron problem. It's not as if they said "you're a soldier and no use to us, we're going to kill you." Then you could understand him saying it to stay alive and understandable in the situation.

The tension on the ship between the civilians and the military is going nowhere and getting annoying. I kind of hope this isn't just leading up to a finale with the Alliance boarding Destiny as that just sounds too predictable. I'll still be tuning in to find out though.