Starting Over

(ended 2006)

Solitudine

Starting Over Fan Reviews (38)

• Declined after Season One

Starting Over began as a wonderful concept and Season One was good. However, after the death of Mary-Ellis Bunim, one of it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s co-creators, it rapidly declined, thanks in large part, to the two so-called \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'life coaches\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\', Rhonda Britten and Iyanla Vanzant (formerly known as Rhonda Harris). They\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve basically turned it into an info-mmercial for their own personal gain.

There have been houseguests on the show I felt were genuinely interested in realistic goals but it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s become evident to me (in the current season especially) the women have used Starting Over as merely a place to take a vacation. The original goals of the women are even difficult to remember for me, and apparently, for THEM. Case in point: Christie Duran - the perfect example of a houseguest intent on gaining fame, glory and monetary benefits simply because she was chosen as a castmember. BTW, Rhonda Britten knew Christie before she was on the show and has used her to promote her book. Very unethical, IMO.

Starting Over typifies the fakeness of all reality shows, IMO, but I was hoping this one might be different. Very disappointed.

• Simply put, these women are starting over with their lives. Life coaches make the women do countless exercises and activities to better themselves.

3.3
    For some reason, it reminds me of a cult. I know the women have problems, but it seems like the issues are blown way out of context. And the women believe that they are horrible people because of it! I hardly watch the show, but when I do, I laugh. I laugh because they put a scared girl in a box for 3 hours. I laugh because the women don't want to come home when their families want them to. It's really funny, in my opinion. I think that you really have to be desperate and have an excellent imagination in order to benefit from those exercises. For some, this is reality. For me, it's the most pathetic reality television program ever made. This show should not be wasting daytime television air. Instead, it should be on at like 2 in the morning. It's slightly more entertaining than infomercials about male pattern baldness and non-stick cookware.
    I did not give this show a 0 because it gets some chuckles out of me when I happen to flip through channels and see it.
  • I really wish they would have stayed with the original format.It has turned into nothing more than a place for these less than talented women try to start a tv career. I loved the first season, those women had real problems.

I am very disapointed that this show has gone down hill since season one.IN my opinion the women from season one had real problems and recieved the help they needed to move forward.Once they moved to California and started the second season the women and the problems seem to become more shallow.By the time season three started it was all about getting their fifteen minutes of fame.Some of the assinments that where aksed of the house guest never would have been excepted in the earlier houses.ie.(Lisa one dressing up in a baby dress.}I am sorry but, that's when i started to lose respect for the show.
  • The first season was definitely the BEST

6.1
    I can't remember any of the names off-hand, but the young girl who moved in with the baby on the first season was the culmination of the best season this show has ever had.

Rhonda Britten annoys me to no end- and that never changed. Dr Stan was cool as well as Iyanla, because she pushes people to be REAL, but Rhonda the ring leader- she just doesn't really appear to be helpful.

I appreciate the premise of this show, offering women, and some couples and men, in crisis help to a better life. That's a rare and honorable thing in reality.

But, when you have a hit on your hands, please- don't change the formula. NO new house, NO new city, NO replaced therapists . . .just keep is simple.

oh, yea, her name was Josie. Wow-she had issues.
  • I have enjoyed watching this show. Please bring it back!!

I hope that this show continues as I have always enjoyed watching the show. I have not always been able to watch the show because of work but when I am able to watch it I do. Please keep it on the schedule. This show is a lot better than watching some of those other reality shows that are on during primetime tv. There are not a lot of good shows on during the day and it would be a shame to get rid of a show that can truly help verus some of the stuff that is on tv.
  • Taking some angles from the Real World, and Dr. Phil. A couple of troubled women live in the same house, all counseled by professional therapy trying to rebuild their lives.

This show is not just for women, people, I have
    to say, everyone can learn something from this
    show both men and women. This show is that
    good. It's not played out cheaply for ratings
    like the Real World or other poor reality
    shows. The issues are handled with sensitivity
    and real love.

Ive been a viewer of the show now for a while
    and the current season in Los Angeles (my hometown) is quite entertaining and informative.

Jennifer is the beautiful young woman whose
    dad is in prison. Kim is the other pretty
    lady trying to mend her relationship with her
    sister. Summer is a very emotional lady
    also trying to mend her life.

All I can say is that this is an excellent
    show.
  • All three coaches were outstanding. Dr. Stan gave the male perspective & sensitivity that has never been seen on television. Rhonda what can you say about her except that she was great. Vanzant was there to give them a reality check when it was neede

I have watched this show since it's inception and I cannot believe the show was cancelled. You have no idea how long I have been waiting for the show to come back. I don't understand todays television. All the shows that send a positive message and help individuals on a day to day basis you cancel and you keep the large amount of garbage programs that are out there, that are not sending a positive message to anyone. You have no idea how disappointing this is to the viewers. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only that feels this way.
  • This show is the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel. Thank you for helping me start getting my life in order by watching this show.

I saw advertisements for the second season of this show and watch it religiously. I was lucky enough to find the first season and think it is okay also. I like the idea of a psychologist dealing with the problems as well as the life coaches. Iyanla is the greatest. She is tough but so loving also. This show has shown me some patterns in my own life and what to do about them. I can not thank you enough for sharing this with women and making us think about how we act and react to certain things in our life.
  • The Starting Over House has been an inspiration to me. When I learn something I apply it to my life and share the lesson to help someone else. To some it maybe a show but to others like myself it is real.

I love this show and I have learned so much from it and the housemates of Seasons 2-3. I will really be lost without a season 4. I appreciate the help that is provided to the women and the struggles they face in their lives as we all have issues and baggage. The life coaches and Dr. Stan are great and sincere. This is a true reality show. I will never be able to express how this show and the women have helped me change my life,complete a master's degree with confidence, address the issues in my marriage, and raise a troubled stepchild. I love what you are committed to doing and I hope it will continue.
  • One of the most brilliant reality programs!

I really loved this show.
    It was a genuinely exquisite program.

I loved the show from its very begining, with the first six wonderfull women: Andy, Cassie, Maureen, Nyanza, Christine and Lori.
    The Life Coaches, Rhonda Britten and Rana Walker, did a great job with those women. I was very sad when I heard Rana wont be a part of the second season.. I thought she was very good at her job, and it is a shame not to let her be in another season. [and dont get me wrong, I think Iyanla is awesome at her job].

I think this kind of show is very important. It helps not only the women in the house, but the women (and possibely men) all around the world who watches this show.
    I truely belive that everyone can realate to at least one woman staying in the house at every given moment. Everyone cat take some of the things that were on the show, and really learn from them.

The show was very educational, and I fill like I learned from it.
    I saw myself in a lot of different women, in one way or another.

---
    That was an awesome show - and it is an horrific loss now that its OVER :(
  • It's a 10 by me, but the rating would not go that high. It was one of the best shows ever on daytime television!

Starting Over was one of the best daytime shows that has ever aired. Why would the TV executives remove such a great inventive reality show? I was so sad to see there was not going to be another season, and miss it very much. It never got the praise it deserved. I looked forward to watching it every day and never missed a show since it's conception. Our daytime television lineup could use an overhaul, but not by removing our favorite shows. Why don't they remove the outdated Soap Opera's. How can a show get such high praise one year and be taken off the next?
  • Starting Over helped me work on my past because my past compares closely with the women. I have been given ways to help deal with my past. Please bring it back before another station does and I will follow Starting Over no matter what. Carolyn, Oregon

Starting Over is must for women that can't talk for themselves and work out their pasts. Please bring it back so I and all the other women can continue working on our pasts. It feels like we have been abandoned in the middle of working things out. Please bring Starting Over BACK.

Carolyn, Oregon
  • Simply...this show changed my life.

Simply...this show changed my life. I cannot think of any other tv show in my life that I can say that about. I have been watching it from the start. Most days I have to set the recorder and watch it when I get home. After two years of this show, I can say I know happiness. The show is a true inspiration. I recommend everyone to watch it even if you do not think you have a problem. I tell people about it all the time.
  • Starting Over is about women (and reportedly men) who need help facing the issues and problems in their lives.

I absolutely love this show! Especially season 2 because I can see in little bit of myself in all the women. I like the fact that Rhonda and Iyanla do not let the women get away with anything and they are forced to do things outside of their comfort zone to get them where they need to be. I have a lot of issues in my life and I am seriously considering trying to get on the show. This show is real and I can relate to all the women. It doesn\'t make them crazy, it just makes the admirable for going out and trying to heal their issues.
  • Im wanting to write and asking if you would keep this show on the air I loved every one espisodes of the starting over house it encouraged me a lot I am asking to please keep them on line.

Please what ever it takes to keep them on the air the starting over house what ever I need to help with by getting people to sign their names to a paper to get them to say hey we want this show to stay on the air. im asking if you would please what ever it takes to keep this show on the air to see what happens to other from the show the miracles and what happens to every person after they leave the starting over show and the house I am wanting to see all the reruns from the show please lets keep the starting over house on the tv please
  • Iyanla Vanzant

Iyanla has a new show on the OWN network, it's called Iyanla fix my life.
  • Starting Over was a great show!

Starting Over was a great show, that should have never ended. I would watch this show everyday and I loved every minute of it. I'm very sad that It's no longer on air. I loved everyone's stories and the coaches were great! If I was ever on the show I would have loved to work with Iyanla because she was the best life coach, she was very upfront and real.
  • What did you think of Starting Over?

Starting Over has taught me so much about life just by watching.It was one of my favorite shows because I found it very inspiring. I wish they would bring it back!There were times when I thought about going on the show myself, because I felt that I needed a life transformation, but somehow I managed to do it by myself. Of course, I give alot of credit to the show because I learned so much from the women in the house. Some people say that television has a negative impact on your life,but I thinkit depends on what your watching! Congrats to the women who "started Over" I hope they continue to progress throughout life.I'd like to see a where are they now shjow,because you start to attach to you favorite women in the house and wish nothing but the best for them.
  • very good show, will miss it.

All three coaches were outstanding. Watching the show helped me understand things I did not know about. I really hope they bring back "The Starting Over House", I really miss it a lot. I am still needing help, but can only afford to watch the help I can get on tv. I still have issues that need to be covered, but watching the show helped me out a lot. I wish the producers will bring the show back. It was one show I was really in tuned with. I can relate to most of the woman on the show. I am glad I was able to watch it while it was on.
  • Wow,I have been looking for Starting Over to come back on NBC. I asked my husband "have you seen anything about SO?" So, I decided to google it and found out that it is no longer. I'm so hurt that the network doesn't see what we see. I will trul

Who in their right mind would cancel this show. I learned so much and felt so much of what the women had gone through. I would TVO the show because I'm at work when it is on. When I get home from work, I would watch the show and my husband and son would ask me what I was watching? I would tell them and next thing you know they were sitting with me watching. My husband and I learned so much from what others were going through, because we were going through similar things. Bring back SO.!!!
  • please bring it back. the show has really helped in my life

the show has covered many issues that i have had to deal with in life. i have laughed and i have cried with all of the women. i did not even know i had some the problems i did until i saw my actions in the women and in the eyes of these women. i want to be a better person because of these brave ladies. i don't know if i could have been brave enough to expose my faults and limitations in such an open forum, but have tried to live through the ladies to heal myself. i have also stopped keeping my problems to myself and have finally began receiving professional help. the world needs this show i need this show.
  • SO helped me in so many ways. Being a single mother, it gave me strength to know that I could do it, no matter what. I hate to see the show end and I truly hope that someone out there hears our cries and brings it back.

SO was honestly the best show around. I don't know how I'm going to start my mornings now. Please won't someone hear us and bring it back!!??The coaches helped so many women in various areas. Not to mention the men and women they helped out in Tv land. I genuinely hope that all that work wasn't in vein. It would be a terrible thing to let all that hard work go to waste knowing there are so many other women out there that could benefit from such a wonderful experience. I personally drew such strength from the show and the coaches. I found that I could really understand and feel what the women were going through. There was a little bit of all of them in us. Please bring it back.
  • The cancellation of starting over will be a loss for a great many women.

I\'ve watched it since it first aired, yes season 1. If I wasn\'t going to be home I taped it to watch later. I even told friends about it and got them watching it. It has helped me to deal with some things that I couldn\'t face. I don\'t understand why you would cancel a show that is actually helping women. Please bring it back, for those of us that never missed it. Thank you, Linda
  • Please bring the show back. I never missed the new shows. If I wasn't able to be home, I recorded it. I am truely sad about the cancellation of this show. It provided real therpy for people who may not have been able to get it otherwise.

I thoroughly enjoyed this show and am so dissapointed that it has been cancelled. I hope you will reconsider and continue production. The end was so abrupt and didn't give the viewers a chance to give their input and support. I have become so fond of the women on the show and the life coaches. Please do a wrap up show and let us know how everyone is doing and where we can continue to see Iyanla, Rhonda and Dr. Stan. They are exceptional and I would love to continue to see them. Also I'd like to have a review of all the women who have been on the show and how they are doing now. I am a little curious as to why the show was cancelled. Can someone answer that question for me?
  • Everyone who is married or thinking of getting married should have watched Starting Over's Marriage Bootcamp. It is a must see and then it is time to get real with your partner and discuss what is really going on in your relationship.

I absolutely loved Starting Over\'s Marriage Bootcamp! I taped it every day and saw so much of myself and my husband in some of the couples. I really learned alot and we are using the skills that were taught. This was the BEST reality t.v. show out there without a doubt. Iyala, Rhonda and Dr. Stan know their stuff and I loved how they wouldn\\\'t let people get away with anything. If this show is cancelled that would be terrible because we need a show that delves into the tough issues of life and how to deal with it. Troy looked like a new man by the end of the show and each one of the couples were so much better for going through this.
  • Couple's boot camp with Troy and Cheryl, Jaclyn & Michael, etc. I LOVE THIS!!!

I absolutely love this episode. It has mine and my husband's name all over it. I was wondering if there's anyway to get a copy of this segment? I don't have a way to tape it yet, and also didn't start watching it til in the middle of the week it started. But I want in the worst way to show this to my husband. I also want to use some of these methods used in it in a couple's meeting my husband and I attend together. Please let me know if there's any way to obtain a copy of this. I appreciate any help you can give.
    Thanks much
    JB
  • Starting Over is an amazing, inspirational show that should stay on television for years to come.

I've been an avid fan of Starting Over since it began in 2003. I've seen every season, every episode, every tear jerking moment and it always leaves me wanting more.

The life coaches, Rhonda Britten and Iyanla Vanzant, are inspirations not only to the women of the Starting Over house, but to the viewers, to me. It is easy to watch and gain a new life lesson during every episode. Over the course of the show, I've learned things I never knew about myself and I only wish the show would continue to give more women out there the opportunity to do the same.

NBC, bring this show back!
  • This show has made an enormous difference in my life. I can't wait to get home to watch it each day. Where is it now? I can't find it on the fall schedule! Help!

The personalities of each woman in the house have resonated with me in some way, and I marvel at the exercises created for them. This show matters! My life is better for watching it, and I connect with it personally in so many ways. What an extraordinary show. Dr. Stan, Rhonda and Iyanla are superb at what they do, and in some ways, have become my personal coaches.
  • I love the show

I love the show and will really love to see it next season. There are women on the show that really need help and other who are a little misguided and loss. With the help of the coaches and the tasks, plus the push of getting the job done make the ending results enjoyable. I love the show so please please put it back on.
  • It's a show about 6 women who come from all walks of life. The come on the show tow change their lives and most of the ladies leave the show having a positive change in their lives.

I think that the show Starting Over is an underappreciated show for many reason. I really feel that people aren’t around during the daytime to watch it and if it was on at night, it would be watched by many more people. The creators want to help people to change their lives for the better. I’ve learned a lot from that show about how events from the past affect you life forever. I feel that if this show doesn’t continue many other women and I will be lost without. I really have been considering want to go on to the show. I think it’s a great resource for women and has provided the ability for women to change their lives.
< 1 2