Starved

FX (ended 2005)

Starved Fan Reviews (40)

7.9
  • Out of principle - a principle that puts human life and health before the financial gain of a few - I will never watch this show. Below are some reasons.

The diagnosis of eating disorders has increased extremely in prevalence over the past decades (Treasure et al, 2003). Several studies have contributed data showing that 5.92% of patients with anorexia nervosa died as a result of the disorder (Sullivan, 1995). They die because their body is unable to live because of insufficient food. By the way, this is happening in a country with rising obesity rates, so it is not because they have to starve to death, it is because the society we are living in is sick enough to place value on people's look, and because humor is found in the suffering of people with very serious medical conditions. Eating disorders are actually the leading cause of death among mental disorders, and the tendency is for insurance companies to be unwilling to pay for the treatment of eating disorders. Thus, people die. "Starved" is not a comedy, it is a tragedy without meaning.
  • a new program that has definite promise

at first a little crass and unecessarily light. but from the point of someone with an eating disorder, I found it painfuly relatable andfar too close to home. I have only watched the pilot and would definently watch more. i will be interested to see how they developed the ideas and characters. I did think that it could have shown in a clearer way how dominating having an ED is, the way in which it dominates every single second of your day. but I did think the way in which the episode ended was so brilliantly and realistically portrayed that it has left quite a mark on me. I just hope that it wont prove to be yet another program jumping on the ED and size zero fad that the media seems to be so heavily endorsing, I hope that it will be as heavy and show the true desperation that living with this awful illness causes.
  • I think we need a stronger classification for Starved. I suggest repugnant, but I fear that might not be strong enough.

1.1
    When I first heard about Starved and it's twisted premise I was looking forward to it's premier. I love twisted premises. That's why I love show's like Family Guy, Twin Peaks, and Carnavale. Hell I even found David Lynch's short lived "On the Air" amusing. Oh god, was I mislead.

Starved was able to do what no other comedy(including John Waters early work) could do, make me physicaly ill. This show is the most vile, most repugnant, piece of garbage to ever grace the airwaves. Three of the four main characters are so repugnant that I actualy hoped thier eating disorders would kill them. The only character that was at all funny or sympathtic was Dan, the fat guy. Funny how the only person that could pull off the roll of a person with an eating disorder, might actualy have one.

Eric Schaeffer should be ashamed of himself for this crime against humanity and nature. I remember seeing Mr. Schaeffer plugging Starved on one of the talk shows, where he stated that this show came from his own eating disorder. I may be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet that this is an out and out lie. No person who has dealt with a disorder, whether it be eating, drugs, gambling, ect., would treat the mater in this manner. If Mr. Schaeffer does have an eating disorder, I think this show proves that his problems go much deeper than food.

This show is an example of Shydenfreuda (sp? ger= shameful joy) at its worst. I have one question. What were the execs at fox smoking when they green lit this turd. Cause I can't get s**t that good around here.
  • This show to me was amazing. It had the right mix of dexterity, wit and drama to make an amazingly highly entertaing show.

Why they cancelled it other then pure social standards of people thinking its "wrong" to produce a show about eating disorders. I don't think that is a good enough reason! Sure it might offend people, but so do shows like Extreme Makeover.

If you read through the reviews, the people who didn't "enjoy" the show all had a basis of disagreeing with the topic, once you put personal feelings and judgement aside... the show is amazingly entertaing. I watched it while it was on.. and HIGHLY dissappointed when I found out it was cancelled.

Hopefully... another network will pick it up sometime and air it agian!
  • This show is about eating disorders and people that suffer from them. It is a comedy that will keep you in stiches the entire 30 minutes. A must see.

This show is absolutely one of the most hilarious shows I\\\\\\\'ve seen in years. The topic is a new one for a sitcom and would love to see more. You have to bring it back. I can not live with out Starved. Please, please, please............I only saw a few episodes and would love to see reruns as well as a new season. More people need to know about the show and it needs to be back on the air. Whomever wrote this comedy is a genius. Please reconsider putting the show back on the air for all of us that are starved for Starved. Thanks!!!!
  • has anyone made copies?

I would love it if anyone out there has taped this, to please send me an email at willyjiveturkey@yahoo.com, and I\\\'ll pay you to send me copies. I\\\'ve tried going on the site, but I can\\\'t purchase it ANYWHERE, so I\\\'m hoping someone has taped the show. Please email me, as I\\\'m SOO in love with this show, and want it so badly!!!
  • I don't think I have laughed this hard in a long time

While STARVED may be a little tacky for some, It is one of the funniest shows I have watched in a long time.

When I first saw the previews for the pilot episode, I thought it was going to be another stupid waste of time and decided to pass it by but the previews of the second show, "Please Release Me" made me want to turn it on. Not knowing what I was in store for I decided to watch the rerun of the Pilot episode and I am quite happy I did as they were many classic moments there.
  • I think this show is absolutely amazing and can't wait to see the next episode.

I've watched the first few episodes of Starved and now I’m hooked on this satiric series. I’m telling everyone I can about this series. I was horrified to hear though that there will be only one season. I am dismayed when shows that are smart, witty, and a perhaps a bit controversial don’t get the life they deserve. I felt the same way when Dead Like Me was cancelled after two seasons. Perhaps we are in a world where only safe, homogenized entertainment is acceptable – and heaven forbid – don’t offend anyone.

So, I say to you, keep watching the remaining episodes of this very smart series and enjoy it while it lasts (like a big bowl of ice cream). I guess I’ll have to buy the “complete series” DVD collector edition if it comes out.
  • FX kept the wrong show.

Usually, I'm a advocate of FX programming, even though they show nothing but Cops, King of the Hill and Fox movies. Their original programming is something major networks should shoot for, Starved included.

Compared to "Sunny in Philadelphia", Starved had a deeper plot, ongoing storyline and characters you wouldn't mind to watch again. SIP, in contrast, looks a lot like a up-to-date (and poor) Cheers spin-off.

Starved might just be classified as ahead of its time, but according to the reviews on here, it seemed right on time.
  • Its about a group of people with eating disorders, and the troubles they have to face as they are trying to lose weight.

This show goes where no other has gone before, funny, edgy, and dark humor.
    Many of the characters fight with denial, and eating problems, they try to seek help through a radical support group. Bits and pieces are not funny, altho it shows the issues of the various eating disorders.
  • *Sigh* Only 7 episodes of compelling TV.

I'd never watched an FX show in my life(Finger of shame pointed directly at me) until I'd seen a preview for Starved. Intrigued, I made a mental note to watch it. After one episode I was hooked. You could really tell that this was a labor of love for Eric Shaffer and I applaud the efforts.

Having to deal with close friends with such similar problems more than a few times in the past, I somewhat identified with the show. It's not like the show was glorifying, making fun of, or even looking down at the subject matter like most Drama Queens would have you believe. The stories were simply told via some fairly witty, very real characters.

Despite everything that was going on, I still feel like they were holding back. I think that this sort of material probably would have been better as an HBO or Showtime show, where they could have pushed the envelope even further. It's a pity that 7 episodes is all we'll get. HBO is in bad need of comedy, this could fill that void nicely.
  • Laughter is the best cure.

This show is devilishly funny, heartrendering at times, and just overall GOOD television.

The central characters, all struggling with eating disorders, are people that you can identify with; a lot of viewers can see a lot of themselves in a specific character (in my case, it's Dan, even though I'm a woman). Eric Shaeffer's sarcastic humor pokes fun at eating disorders, but what most people fail to realize is he's poking fun at himself, too. The show also brings to light the dangers of eating disorders, albeit in a humorous way, that most people don't know about.

'Starved' was one of the most original and innovative, not to mention quality, shows on television. I hate you, FX, for cancelling it! HBO, if you can hear me, please pick up this show! It deserves a fair chance.
  • Provacative show... too short of a season.

Ever watch a train wreck, and you just can't look away? Well... that's how I explain STARVED. This show is amazing. It's a downright hilarious show about serious disorders that are plaquing a vast majority of our generation.
    It does not glamourize eating disorders, which was one of my biggest concerns.
    Only one real complaint... the season was too short. Can't wait for Season two.
  • This show is refreshingly brilliant and delightfully original... but may not be for everybody.

Personally, I find the dark humor and flawed characters refreshing. It is about time a tv show deals with the subject of eating disorders. These issues are often thought of as taboo in American culture, but should not be ignored. Speaking as someone who has dealt with an addiction to exercise because I was so terrified of becoming overweight, I identify with the four main characters on many levels.
    I do not think the many critics of this show understand that writer, Eric Shaeffer, is not making fun of eating disorders, but shedding some light on the real life and thought processes of someone with food, and body image, issues.
    After watching a few episodes of Starved, you realize that these four friends have more important problems than how much, or how little, they eat. They deal with social norosis, confusion of sexual preference, relationship issues with lovers and parents, work related problems, etc. Anyone who knows anything at all about eating disorders knows it is not about food, it is about being happy with yourself. Food is just a way of feeling you have control of at least one thing in your life. This show does not justify the behavior of the characters at all. They make it quite clear they have a problem, and in their own, albeit disfunctional ways, they deal with it.
    Some young people with eating disorders may identify with the characters in a positive way. If they see someone on television with the same problems, it may make them feel less alone. On the last episode of the season, Billie, Adam and Dan decide to go to an Over-eaters Annonymous group meeting together, showing the supportive structure of their friendship. Despite the sometimes lude and crass plotlines this show has a heart and soul that is tangible.
    As a society that is so used to two dimensional tv characters, that are perfect looking and have no problems, except they have to choose between two people that are in love with them, it is refreshing to see real people portrayed on television. I think Starved is brilliant and I sincerely hope it comes back for another season.
  • You gotta see more than one episode to appreciate it.

This show has really surprised me. Of course, on first hearing of it, the premise sounded sickening. How could you make a comedy of something as serious as eating disorders and expect it to fly? However, after giving the show a chance, it really won over my wife and I.

Yes, some of the humor is directly related to the characters' eating disorders, but I don't find it generally distateful. And the very real emotions, the palpable conflicts and behaviors of the characters is really well done. Watching the last episode, the emotions of the characters seemed so very real to me. It's not glamorizing eating disorders. And, yes, I think it sometimes is OK to joke about them. Within a context. And the context of this show is right. It feels real. But really, don't watch it waiting for eating disorder jokes. That's not what it's about.
  • I love Starved!!!

I love Starved! Its hillarious and serious and the same time, I think the last episode was the best and i really hope that it gets brought back next season!! If they don't whAT a tease this season was because I am now hooked. I think everyone else would agree.
  • WEIGHT LOSS GROUPS MAY NOT LIKE THIS SHOW BUT IT CLEARLY DEMONSTRATES THE HEARTACHE OF THE MILLIONS OF OVERWEIGHT PEOPLE STRUGGLING TO ATTAIN 'GOOD LOOKS'. THIS SHOULD BE A MUST SEE FOR EVERYONE

While personally Eric Schaeffer is my favorite actor, I also think he is extremely talented in other areas such as writing, directing, producing). I've seen everthing he has ever done. This show nails the struggle that millions of Americans to 'lose weight' and 'become happy and beautiful'. At times the show is almost painful but unfortunately ever so truthful. I never miss the show and I congratulate both the network and the stars for being so daring.
  • Honest and fresh.

This show is cutting edge and hopefully will be able to stay true and honest without censorship. Eric Schaeffer has an original idea, great characters, strange concepts for each episode that work and are absolutely honest. Glad to see him in a long format like television that he can convey more of the characters lives and feelings.
  • Eating disorders, lesbians, girls with english accents, nemo's cake, this show is the seinfeld of the 21st century, it leaves no stone unturned and shys away from nothing.

Quite possibly the best sitcom on TV. This show has four strong main characters, who interact well together, and separately. I would compare this show with Seinfeld, because Seinfeld didn't shy away from anything, and some of the things in this show couldn't be said or done if it weren't on cable TV. It's not that it's so off the wall, that makes it funny it's just that the writer's really go all out to get a point across. The main characters storylines are well writen and the character arc's are perfect. Week to week, this show somehow stays surprisingly good, and doesn't sell out to reach every person.
  • A recipe of intelligent writing, interesting characters, and an unashamed sense of humor make this one of the better shows around. It uses comedy not to superficially mock the serious subject of eating disorders, but to disarmingly reveal the important is

"Starved"'s recipe of intelligent writing, interesting characters, and an unashamed sense of humor make it one of the better shows around. It uses the power of comedy not to superficially mock the serious subject of eating disorders, but to disarmingly reveal the important issues surrounding them.

The great comedians have proven time and again that comedy isn't always about funny things. If death, race relations, and religion are fair game, why not eating disorders? Anyone who might at first be offended by this show's premise might want to take a closer look. At no time does "Starved" really treat eating disorders as a laughing matter. It does, however, cleverly use humor to shed some light on the issues surrounding the main characters' struggle to deal with their conditions in their lives and relationships.

The show's brilliance is in its dual use of the eating disorders as both influenced by, and metaphors for, the other issues in the characters' lives. As someone who has no personal experience with e.d.s, I see the characters' behavior not as exclusive to people with such conditions, but as symbolic of the variety of behaviors all people exhibit that don't necessarily make sense to anyone who is not them. Everyone has a personal psychology that determines what he/she will do to get along in the world -- lie to himself/herself, lie to others, pretend to be someone they're not, manipulate others, and ultimately struggle to face the truth about their lovers, their friends, and themselves.

All depth aside, though, "Starved" is an unusual example of mixing great comedy and poignant drama. The show's pilot episode features a hilarious scene in a restaurant that sets the tone for the whole series, revolving around the three guys using their woman friend's portable food scale to see which of them is the masculine "heavyweight.” Taking direct aim at its intended adult audience, the show takes full, but thankfully not gratuitous, advantage of the freedom that basic cable allows it to bring sex into the story whenever it is cleverly observant, dramatically meaningful, or just humorously convenient.

The exploration of the four main characters' offbeat adventures through dating, marriage, career, and friendship, bound together by the common ground of their eating disorder support group (one of the funniest parts of the show, in its dark-humored way), makes for an engaging half-hour of laughs, tears, and a little well-served "food" for thought.
  • Show about people with problems. Sam is an anorexic bulimic. Others on the show bulimic, compulsive over eater and anorexic. The madness never stops on this show. It's almost funny that the show never stops being funny even though these people have seriou

Sure we all have our problems but this group of people take the cake (sorry bad pun). There are some serious times in the show but most of the time I'm laughing my butt off. I definately hope that this show doesn't get cancelled or anything cause that would suck.
  • For anyone that gave this a low score or a review of a complete waste of time. For those who didnt scroe this show high its not our fault you cant understand good dark humor or real life topics when they are brought up.

I'm sorry but ive only seen two episodes of this show and it is a remarkable program. Yes we can micro anyalze the program and find flaws but gooddammit if you dont understand it dont give it a horrible review because you are completely ignorat to addiction. I am an addict of many different things and its nice to see something that a large portion of our population deals with. I am not a food addict but I understand and am in moved by the characters in this show. Please leave a good show alone and dont talk shit if you dont understand it. Clearly I could sit here and talk shit about programs that are pop culture products and have no artistic value but I dont becuase they have a place in our culture and thats for pure entertainment.
  • Eric Schaeffer's feeble shot at establishing a program which it's pilot shabbily touts as a cutting view at how the "evil" fashion & cosmetics industries advance preconceptions on what is and isn't attractive by showing rail thin, size 2, anemic and proba

0.3
    "Starved" has gotten me southbound

Eric Schaeffer's feeble shot at establishing a program which it's pilot shabbily touts as a cutting view at how the "evil" fashion & cosmetics industries advance preconceptions on what is and isn't attractive by showing rail thin, size 2, anemic and probably malnourished models flounders at almost every point. Yes, my friends, after years and years of pernicious intent masked as legitimate concern by belligerent, radical feminism and liberalism that has allowed idiotic activities to be labeled as actual 'diseases' , a show has come which embodies the absolute, #1 demonstration of poor plot coherency compounded by BASIC lack of creativity , imagination and gratuitous immorality , and (surprise, surprise) it is written and produced by a homosexual male (I'll explain that part later).

This series' pilot begins with 4 coddled New Yorker's (from now on, let's call them Yankees) eating brunch in Lower Manha....... aww screw it, I don't give a damn. Schaeffer (writer/producer), obviously feeling obligated to validate the show's title, has the characters babble on about their serious 'disease'. If you happened to miss the show, here's a recap of the scene:

"My therapist said wah wah whah. I'm suffering because I internalize my wah wah wah".
    "How much does this banana weigh, because if I eat too much I wah wah wah wah."
    "Hey, guys, in a putrid attempt for cheap hilarity , lets measure the weight of our penises, yet pretend doing so is in no way queuing homosexual inclinations."
    "American marketing shamelessly promotes negative body types to advertise products, and I say this to cover up the fact that I am weak, of no character, and employ this pitiful line as a justification to puke my brains out, when it's actually a juvenile, yet alarming attempt to gain attention."

As you see, perversion is and will probably remain rampant in this series.

Mentioning perversion, if you already haven't noticed, writer/producer/co-star Eric Schaeffer is a homosexual. In the pilot and continually throughout the series, he does a appalling job at feigning heterosexuality., and since we are on the subject of sexual orientation, lets examine the topic of "Heterosexual Men and Eating Disorders Such as Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa".

Doesn't exist. Case closed. Those who say they are are liars, display homosexual characteristics, and/or eventually turn.

Maybe I'm not as observant and open-minded as I used to be and have become a heartless, cold, uncaring pitiful excuse for a human being (which is ABSOLUTELY possible), but I honestly don't care much for eating disorders such as anorexia and/or bulimia. If you have enough food to gorge like a feral beast , vomit, and act as if you have no basic self control, then have the audacity to actually consider your depravity a legitimate disease, then you .......you, you, you:

* Are not worthy of the blessing (I use the term loosely since I don't believe in god) of life, or are at least desecrating the honor those who gave it to you.

* Have lost all perspective.

* Exhibiting tremendous narcissism (which I have no problem with. This is America after all.)

* Helping, if you qualify, add on to an already problematic Medicare program by guzzling down 'antidepressants' (dope) for 'symptoms' (imagination) that accompany your 'disease' (an excuse for getting high on antidepressants (dope. Hah Hah!!!). That money could have better spent

* Carelessly, yet intentionally pass on your repulsive routine to children, who, for now, actually are, for now, decent human being, which you are not (and neither am I).

* Deny that your despicable conduct is the product of a coddled, liberal, elitist lifestyle which relies on whining to your overpaid therapist, yet you never hear of anorexia or bulimia in a third-world country where poverty is an epidemic.
    \

If you are still reading this review, which most of you are not, you probably came to the realization that this article is poorly written and articulated. I do not believe in God, thus don't fall for the concept of Heaven or Hell, but if there is, I heading in a southerly direction.
  • Comedy about eating disorders.

7.7
    As unlikely as it would seem this "comedy about eating disorders" is rediculously funny. Speaking as someone with an eating disorder, I found them to approach the often hush-hush topic with sheer boldness and even a lesson or two (but not in the overly sugary way). Besides, it is a comedy not a documentary. If you cant see the humor in a colonic gone wrong, then I don't know what's funny.
  • Starved is a comedic show which covers four friends fight against there eating disorders. The four friends, Sam (Eric Schaeffer), Adam (Sterling K. Brown), Dan (Del Pentecost), and Billie (Laura Benanti) try to get back on track by attending a group calle

Starved is one of the funniest shows I’ve seen in a long time. If you don’t relate to them because of there eating disorders you can relate to some of the other things they cover like decisions of surgery, fights with parents, parents of the same sex, or just through the problems Sam seems to run into with girlfriends or Dan with his wife. This show has brought comedy to a serious topic. It can somewhat put you in the mind of these problems the people are having through comedy. With the four of them attending Beltighteners with a slogan as “It is Not OK” they slowly try to improve in there eating habits. Whether its taking food from delivery boys and throwing up on homeless people to dating his hydro-therapist this show can be hilarious and yet still keep serious with small scenes at the end of the episode which can often leave a sort of longing for the next episode.
  • Making fun of eating disorders is not funny.

Do the writters of Starved know that every day, people die of complications of eating disorders? People that have, or have had any E.D know that it is deffinatly not something to make fun of. It is a very painful thing to get over and many people suffer from health affects from it for the rest of their lives.

And also the show isn't even funny. In the first episode where the police man puked all of his food on a homeless guy, it was just gross. And men putting their um, "privates" on a scale, that's beyond gross.

Nobdy should waste their time with this show.
  • The show is about 4 freinds with diffrent eating disorders. One is neurotic Wall Streeter. His friends are bulimic cop, compulsive over- eating writer, and anorexic wanna be song writer. It is also a funny romantic comedy. The characters are funny and amu

I think that this show is an original. I really like the pilot. It is a show that will keep you laughing. I just love the characters. It's a unique structure of characters. It is pure surrealism. I think that the writers and FX have come up with a good one that is here to stay. When I was watching FX I saw an advertisement for this and I said I have to watch this. When on TV do you get to see a bulimic person making them self throw up with a nightstick? I just love this show and would recommend it to anyone. It's here to stay. FX you've got a good one.
  • Eating disorders are all-too-real; but this show has no relation to reality whatsoever. It's over-the-top, around-the-bend, and over-the-edge. It's offensive, surreal...and gut-splittingly funny.

Early on, in Episode, #2, I found myself wondering, \"Whoa! Can they SAY stuff like that on TV? I dunno...but they just DID!\"--this in response to some very explicit descriptions of a sex act. No, they didn\'t use \"The F Word\", or any other banned-for-TV words, but it was WAY more obscene than that. This was topped only by the end results of the \"high colonic\".

Some people have described this as a sort of \"reality TV\", but--although people\'s having eating disorders IS a real-life situation--\"Starved\" has no relation to reality whatsoever: It is pure surrealism. (I mean, what bulimic has EVER induced vomiting with a nightstick?)

This might sound like a \"thumbs down\" review, but it\'s not. This show has my hair standing on end, but I love it. It\'s just not for the faint-of-heart. --Or for those \"Family First\" type-folks. Forewarned is forearmed!
  • How Drama turns into Comedy and vice versa...

I watched the pilot asumming this was some sort of new comedy and as the show was developed I realize I was wrong.
    We get to see here the lives of four different people with issues, as all of us have. The main topics in here are food, weight, looks and acceptance (to the world and yourself). Although it's just the beginning, we can relate this topics with the characters and how they get effected by them.
    Sam, who is the main character, is 38 years old and wants to find the right women, he is obsessed with his looks and his eating behavior. You can see how hard is for him to avoid sweets, it is a extreme temptation, a real addiction for him but when the moment of looking for a girlfriend comes, he wants nothing but a model prototype.
    It took me by surprise the way "Starved" turned, it has it's funny parts but it's so much deeper. I really think it's gonna be a good show.
  • I found it very upseting, not funny!

0.0
    As a person who nearly died from a eating disorder, I find it hard to find humor in something that kills teenagers every day. What a sad plot!! I love to laugh as much as the next person, but some subjects just are not funny!! It would be like making a show about suicide and turning it into a comedy!
< 1 2