Starveillance

E! (ended 2007)

Starveillance Fan Reviews (3)

7.1
  • This show is hilarious. I hate E!'s celebrity gossip crap, but this was just pure enjoyment. The characters were well shaped as far as physical features. I literally just couldn't stop laughing during some of the sketches. CHECK THIS SHOW OUT!

I normally hate the celebrity gossip crap that E! normally produces, but this show left me rolling around laughing. Its definitely a "must see". Funniest celebrity show I've ever seen. There are sketches with Vince Vaughn, Arnold Swarchenegger, the Olsen twins, Brad and Angelina, Paris and Nicole, the Simpson sisters, etc. were just gut busters. The claymation is well done, as far as the facial and body shapes. It plays off a lot of stereotypes, but also uses them for some great sketches (like Paris and Nicole being really smart). I really hope they bring this one back because this show is as funny as any claymation show. Probably not as good as Robot Chicken, but its way funnier than Celebrity Deathmatch(I use to watch it) could ever be.
  • Terrible facial renditions, voices, and story lines.

For a show that pokes fun of celebrities, which should be very easy to do, the directors seem to go out of their way to make it virtually impossible. I've watched three episodes so far, and have yet to break a smile (FWIW, I won't be watching any more).

First, the claymation is excellent; I'll give them that (it's the only reason I gave the show a '2' instead of a zero!). However, it needs more than just good "puppetry" to make a hit show. The faces of the models should resemble who they are trying to mimic, but they don't even come close. During one show, if one of the characters didn't keep repeating Madonna's name, I would have had no clue as to whom they were satirizing. Most of the characters are forced to say things like, "Hey, it's Mel Gibson", or, "I'll teach Barbara Walters for firing *me* . . . Starr", just so we can say, "Oh, THAT'S who it is!". Sad.

Second, the stories and plot lines are unbelievably lame. A recent show poked fun of Oscar winning actress, Hilary Swank, who forgot to mention her husband's name during her acceptance speech. She was shown coming home, Oscar in hand, totally ignoring her husband. It seemed to go on for an eternity, but it may have been only five minutes. Okay! We get it! She ignored him! Wow. Hysterical. Funny. Not.

Third, the two creators of the show appear as claymation characters to give their thoughts about the upcoming vignette. The few people who have heard of these guys have never seen them, so what's the point of appearing? Why not just do a voice-over? That would give more time to either stretch each episode or even to add a new one! Oh, wait . . . that's probably not a good thing! Never mind!

Fourth, this is a ripoff of "Robot Chicken", which creatively does in fifteen, uninterrupted minutes, using stop-action toys and figures, compared to "Starveillance", which tries to do virtually the same thing in a commercial-interrupted half-hour. It's considered flattery to mimic someone else's success. It's considered a travesty if you do it poorly!

There is one "good" thing about "Starveillance": It airs on a network that hardly anyone watches! ;)
  • Starveillance is about recreating / making up things that have happened in real life and turning them in clay animations Wallace and Gromit style. This means that you will be able to get an insight into what possibly happened to certain celebrities.

5.6
    This show could well be a surprise hit of early 2007. With not much hype you could be forgiven if this slipped under your radar. Imagine a show where you could find out what celebrities didn\\\'t want you to know even if they didn\\\'t know it themselves!

In my opinion the use of clay models only adds to the comedic value of the show because with real life actors it would just seem to be another cloned impresson show. This will also help to give it a more light hearted edge so that the people it is portraying do not get too offended by the sketches.