Starveillance

E! (ended 2007)

Starveillance Fan Reviews (3)

7.1
  • Terrible facial renditions, voices, and story lines.

For a show that pokes fun of celebrities, which should be very easy to do, the directors seem to go out of their way to make it virtually impossible. I've watched three episodes so far, and have yet to break a smile (FWIW, I won't be watching any more).

First, the claymation is excellent; I'll give them that (it's the only reason I gave the show a '2' instead of a zero!). However, it needs more than just good "puppetry" to make a hit show. The faces of the models should resemble who they are trying to mimic, but they don't even come close. During one show, if one of the characters didn't keep repeating Madonna's name, I would have had no clue as to whom they were satirizing. Most of the characters are forced to say things like, "Hey, it's Mel Gibson", or, "I'll teach Barbara Walters for firing *me* . . . Starr", just so we can say, "Oh, THAT'S who it is!". Sad.

Second, the stories and plot lines are unbelievably lame. A recent show poked fun of Oscar winning actress, Hilary Swank, who forgot to mention her husband's name during her acceptance speech. She was shown coming home, Oscar in hand, totally ignoring her husband. It seemed to go on for an eternity, but it may have been only five minutes. Okay! We get it! She ignored him! Wow. Hysterical. Funny. Not.

Third, the two creators of the show appear as claymation characters to give their thoughts about the upcoming vignette. The few people who have heard of these guys have never seen them, so what's the point of appearing? Why not just do a voice-over? That would give more time to either stretch each episode or even to add a new one! Oh, wait . . . that's probably not a good thing! Never mind!

Fourth, this is a ripoff of "Robot Chicken", which creatively does in fifteen, uninterrupted minutes, using stop-action toys and figures, compared to "Starveillance", which tries to do virtually the same thing in a commercial-interrupted half-hour. It's considered flattery to mimic someone else's success. It's considered a travesty if you do it poorly!

There is one "good" thing about "Starveillance": It airs on a network that hardly anyone watches! ;)