Static Shock Forums

The WB (ended 2004)

Is Richie...

Richieshott

[21]Jun 27, 2006
    • level: 2

Say what you want but I refuse to accept the fact that Richie is homosexual or bisexual.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

staurophobic

[22]Jun 27, 2006
    • level: 9
    Cool. Fair enough dude - that's the brilliance of the entire situation. There's just about enough canon to please the slash fans, and enough to please the gen fans. For once, everyone can win!

danman5069

[23]Jun 27, 2006
    • level: 11
    So does any one know when the comic Richie came out

staurophobic

[24]Jun 28, 2006
    It's before issue 40, but not issues 34 or 37. Sorry I can't be of more help. Apparently issues 16 - 22 deal with Virgil and homophobia, so I'm guessing there. (Ooh, that could be very interesting...)

Ah, Dwayna agrees with me!:

Richie's sexuality has been disputed in the past, especially by those who compare the character to the character of Rick Stone (who was homosexual in the comics), but there was never any clear indication in the series. However, on Dwayne McDuffie's forum, he shared his opinion on the subject in late 2005. "It'll never come up in the show because it's Y-7 but as far as I'm concerned, Richie is gay." (Wikipedia)

YES! Near enough confirmation! I am so bookmarking that page! (I was looking up stuff about Rick, not Richie, but... )

staurophobic

[25]Jun 28, 2006
    http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=Milestone&nav=messages&msg=425.232&prettyurl=%2FMilestone%2Fmessages%3Fmsg%3D425%2E232

Because I can't get hyperlinks to work... But this is the forum McDuffie's quote comes from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_Shock

TheWiki page for Static, which also explains the Rick/Freida - Richie thing in brief.

staurophobic

[26]Jun 28, 2006
    The following link, for anyone who wants it, the summary of the "What Are Little Boys Made Of?" saga, issues 16 through 20, and the two issues afterwards that deal briefly with Rick and events in said saga:

http://skyvolt.50megs.com/photo5.html

For anyone as lazy as me, here it is anyway (note that summaries for all issues are in this link, though):

Static 16-20 What Are Little Boys Made of?

Goin’ 85 South (16)

Writer: Robert L. Washington III

Artist: Winfred

This was a five-part storyline that introduced new villains and an unexpected event in Virgil’s life. It all started with Larry getting his car stolen by a new villain called Joyride. Virgil, Frieda and Larry run into Chuck, Felix and Rick after Joyride gets away with the car. After a brief conversation, the group heads their separate ways. Virgil heads to the Dakota Auto Show and runs into Joyride, who tries to steal another car. Static eventually defeats him. On the way home Static sees Rick and his friend getting beat and stops it. Static tends to Rick and his friend and discovers that Rick is gay.

A Knight to Remember (17)

Static runs into DC’s Shining Knight, no he runs into Palisade, who tries to fight Static. He eventually gets away from him and gets Rick to the hospital.

The next day Static has to break up a fight that Palisade has with a gang. Palisade decided that he is going to show up Static by beating Blood Syndicate. Static calls him crazy and heads off to join his friends. While gaming Virgil comes up with a new comic book character and asks Felix and Chuck to come up with ideas.

Static attempts to stop Palisade the following day. During their battle, a girl falls in the water from the bridge. Palisade saves her and thinks that as long as he battles Static, he’ll put people in danger. He leaves as the rescued girl is revealed to be Frieda.

At school Rick reveals that he is gay in front of the entire school. He also wants the others to help him start a rally for to speak out against gay bashing.

Chuck thinks he’s joking until Larry sets him straight. Virgil now has to deal with Rick coming out to the school and how this changes their friendship.

Dreamgirlz (18 )

Last issue with Robert Washington III as writer

After school Chuck, Virgil and Felix at the music store when a new villain arrives. Princess Nightmare uses her power to terrorize people in the store. When Virgil changes into Static, Princess disappears and Static is stuck giving autographs to Chuck and Felix. They also tell him about what Princess Nightmare wanted; she wanted to make men suffer for the degrading lyrics in music about women.

The next day Virgil runs into Rick and Virgil rips into him for telling everybody that he was gay. Rick leaves and Virgil calls himself selfish. At school Virgil sees how Rick is treated by the other students and realizes that he was wrong. The train ride home from school is changes after Virgil hears Princess Nightmare on the radio.

Static heads to the radio station and beats Princess Nightmare after discovering her secret. She used illusions to scare people.

After Virgil beats his father at a Mortal Kombat type game, he tries calling Frieda. However Frieda isn’t in the mood to talk to him.

Between A Rick & A Hard Place (19)

Ivan Velez, Jr. as series writer

Static goes to Frieda’s house to talk to her, they have along talk about homosexuality and how it affects their friendship with Rick. Nothing is solved and Virgil catches a cold.

Virgil stays home from school and thinks about Rick and suddenly realizes what Rick is going through.

At the rally, Daisy, her mother, Frieda, Ducky and Rick meet up with others while another group arrives. The Sons of Odin and try to startup trouble when Static arrives. Static soon discovers that one of the members is Hotstreak.

Dusk (20)

A sick Static and Hotstreak battle it out with Static getting the upper hand. The police try to tell the crowd to go home as Hotstreak recovers. Static uses the police guns to knock Hotstreak out before another fight broke out. He leaves as Daisy and her mother get arrested by the police, as the police cart everyone away, Hotstreak recovers and breaks free. The police wagon with Daisy and her mother is burning and Ducky gets them free by yanking the door (Ducky-a Bang Baby?). Hotstreak takes Frieda and calls out Static, who is long gone. Rick takes a police gun and shoots him.

Static # 21 In Search of The Phatman

Writer: Ivan Velez Jr.

Virgil is a little upset that Phantom IV isn’t airing in Dakota movie theaters. He thinks it’s racism since the hero of the movie is black, but it’s due to the previous movie having shootings at the theaters. However Virgil learns that a movie theater near Dakota is playing it. What Virgil doesn’t know is that Blood Syndicate is also planning to see it.

Virgil and friends arrive at the same time Blood Syndicate arrives and suddenly everyone wants their money back. Meaning that Virgil and the others can see the formally sold out show. Everything goes fine and Virgil’s friends learn the Syndicate aren’t that bad.

Static # 22 The Dread Chihuahuas of Doom

Writer: Ivan Velez Jr.

Artist: Winfred

Painted Cover: David Montoya

Static is out goofing off as Rick is heading home. The police are there to talk to him about the events from What Are Little Boys Made of storyline. One of the officers convinced him to lie about shooting Hotstreak. Rick would have to say a police officer did it and not him. A Bang Baby Chihuahua starts spreading rabies and people get turned into monsters. One of the locations is the hospital where Virgil Dad works. Meanwhile Virgil and Rick talk about his new lifestyle.

Notes:

Ad mentioning Static winning awards:

Best New Series Compuserve Comics & Animation Forum, Usenet Squiddy & Thunderbolt Awards

Favorite Character Usenet Squiddy Awards

Best Editor-Genie Thunderbolt Award
    Edited on 06/28/2006 1:19am
    Edited 2 total times.

BRCfan101

[27]Jun 30, 2006
    • level: 8

I think uoi all are out of your minds.... (laughs.) You're debating a show that just may never return. (laughs) You need to give it a rest.

As for me, I guess he could be bi. That's not totally a crazy thought. I mean, he does kind of look at Virgil with a shimmer in his eye. And, he did like it when Shenice kissed him. Bi isn't totally out of the question. I don't think he's gay, though.

staurophobic

[28]Jul 1, 2006
    Ah, it's fun to debate stuff. Just because it's over doesn't mean we can't still love it! Look at Gundam Wing, Dragonball Z, Lord of the Rings...

justmimi

[29]Sep 16, 2006
    • level: 1
    on the episode "pops girlfriend" daisy n freida are going to sing to destinys child nd richie is the 3rd singer that suggests to me he is either just really camp or is bi or homosexual.

sorry peeps it just my opinion

staurophobic

[30]Sep 24, 2006
    justmimi wrote:
    on the episode "pops girlfriend" daisy n freida are going to sing to destinys child nd richie is the 3rd singer that suggests to me he is either just really camp or is bi or homosexual.

sorry peeps it just my opinion

Lol, that actually gave me an idea for a fanfic with Richie and Virgil singing "Which Backstreet Boy is Gay XD

violet_raven

[31]Sep 26, 2006
    • level: 3

Yea...I don't think I'd want to picture that. ^^;;

I dunno....in a way, I don't want to believe that Richie is gay/bi. I don't know why, I just don't. I guess it seems kinda weird to be a fan of a family oriented cartoon show and then learn that one of the characters are gay =_= Really, I have nothing against homosexuals, but for a cartoon character, who's a favorite of mine, and who's part of a kids show, to be gay or bi just seems kinda uncomfortable to me. ^^;;

Plus, I don't really favor the fact that more than half of the SS fandom contains slash. Virgil/Richie (and Hotstreak/Richie) seem to be the only pairings that exist in the SS fandom, and it gets really irritating at times.

staurophobic

[32]Oct 6, 2006
    Yeah, but it's just a lot of fans like it.

Come to the A.T.O.M. fandom, and you'd be just as annoyed. Freaking Axel/Lioness fics at every freaking corner... *grumbles*

Feral2k

[33]Oct 18, 2006
    • level: 5
    OK, Richie(in the show) is not gay Nor is he Jewish(Frieda and Chuck) or black(Felix, Wade, and the other dude). He's a combination of those six characters, with some characteristics of all, but none of the really racy ones.

evilmermaidsal

[34]Nov 3, 2006
    • level: 4
    I personally think he's not gay Yes, Dwayne has pointed out he wished that Richie is gay but since kidsWB is for, well, kids they had to take that out. Richie has shown a lot of interest in females in the series so thus, he is not gay

staurophobic

[35]Nov 5, 2006
    evilmermaidsal wrote:
    I personally think he's not gay Yes, Dwayne has pointed out he wished that Richie is gay but since kidsWB is for, well, kids they had to take that out. Richie has shown a lot of interest in females in the series so thus, he is not gay

Could be bi. XD

Sorry, had to say it.

It's just a fan thing, in the end. I can't name anything that hasn't been slashed, be it a cartoon, book, or even a rock band. I mean, has anyone been in the CS Lewis section of ff.net?

solarluv

[36]Nov 22, 2006
    • level: 7
    ok hes not gay
    just because he was in the comics, does not mean hes gay now in the show

staurophobic

[37]Nov 28, 2006
    solarluv wrote:
    ok hes not gay
    just because he was in the comics, does not mean hes gay now in the show

Not Richie. Rick. Rick was gay Rick is not Richie.

violet_raven

[38]Jan 21, 2007
    • level: 3

staurophobic wrote:
    solarluv wrote:
    ok hes not gay just because he was in the comics, does not mean hes gay now in the show

.....And that sums it up, pretty much. Lol. XD

staurophobic

[39]Feb 21, 2007
    violet_raven wrote:

staurophobic wrote:
    solarluv wrote:
    ok hes not gay just because he was in the comics, does not mean hes gay now in the show

.....And that sums it up, pretty much. Lol. XD

True. But it's fun to speculate. ^.^

tvmasterdoodles

[40]Apr 21, 2007
    • level: 30
    EYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH! he really was you know?