Static Shock Forums

The WB (ended 2004)

Is Richie...

Feral2k

[41]Jun 20, 2007
    • level: 5
    All right, here's teh truth: Richie Foley is NOT gay One of teh five characters of which he is an amalgam of was gay The five characters, for anyone who's curious, are Rick Stone, Frieda, Larry Wade(comic Larry, not show Larry), Chuck and Felix. anyway, Richie Foley is NOT gay(for the last time, already).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

seto1

[42]Jul 18, 2007
    • level: 16
    no he isn't gay come one he is as straight as Vergil is,we have all seen him MAKING eyes at hot cheerleaders in the school,is this all a lie then people

sporkman5353

[43]Sep 4, 2007
    • level: 18
    This thread is immensely stupid.

TheLostTreasure

[44]Mar 12, 2009
    • level: 5

^

I completely agree 'sporkman5353', and yet, here the both of us took the time to read this thread instead of doing something more substantial. So I guess what I'm saying is, we could at least admit that the topic of this discussion - Richie being gay - is at least worthy of speculation, and although I completely disagree, these gay fanatics (not to imply they are gay just that some write/read slash) have an interesting way of gaining others attention.

But seriously, I do not think Richie is gay.

Edited on 03/12/2009 8:48pm

sylent_asassin

[45]Mar 13, 2009
    • level: 26
    This is actually a legitimate discussion when concerning the relation between the books and the cartoon. Apparently, the character in the books, Richie Stone is a homosexual. The cartoon persona however, Richie Foley is NOT. Let's get real here. Static Shock a cartoon intended for children. There's no way Dwayne McDuffie, the show's creator and the producers would expose children to such heavy subject material. They may have pushed the proverbial envelope with the racism, various urban issues and gang violence, but I'm sure homosexuality is not an avenue they would choose to explore by using a cartoon as an outlet.

PainfullyGenius

[46]Mar 19, 2009
    • level: 2

Now, please, let me specify my idea of this show - based off the comic off course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_(Static_Shock)

I must, must, must agree with staurophobic, seeing as Richie Foley's characterization just seems to be fuel to the fanfiction fires, but I must agree in the fact that Richard "Richie" Foley is based off Freida & Richard "Rick" Stone in the comic, and Wikipedia ((check link above)) appears to agree with me on the fact that, "During an interview after the conclusion of the series, the creators of the series admitted that Richie Foley was very likely to be gay but due to the Y7 rating it was unlikely to ever be brought up in the series" (although I still do not see how Static Shock could still last to be Y7).

Besides that fact, I believe that they couldn't make Richie pure Rick even if they wanted to - seeing as the show would have copy-right(s) issue(s) if they were to take every single character, plot, et cetera directly from the comic, even if the creators allowed it.

Now, you may disagree with me, you always have your right to your own opinion, but I am only going with what my facts tell me; which includes creator interviews, comic summaries, et cetera.

pinkbun17

[47]May 16, 2009
    • level: 6
    violet_raven wrote:

Ugh, he's NOT gay At least, I don't believe him to be.

It is true that Richie is protective (and a little possessive) of Virgil, but I believe that's because Virgil is Richie's only real friend and Richie doesn't want to lose him.

As for the damsel in distress thing........I don't think that has anything to do with Richie's sexuality. He does have a knack for getting into trouble, but I think it's because, since Richie's a super genius he can't defend himself physically against the enemy, and that makes him vulnerable. But it doesn't mean that he's gay

And the show does originate from the comics. But Richie wasn't in the comics. And I think that Rick Stone and Richie Foley are two different characters individually.

I agree with you all the way,Richie cares about Virgil a lot,isn't that what best friends are supposed to do,have each other's back,when danger is a foot.

He's soo not gay,if he checks out girls.

RobbieBasse

[48]Apr 10, 2010
    • level: 8

Okay, I'm just gonna say this: this entire topic is POINTLESS! Why? Because it's a stupid question. Richie Foley is a great character. Whether or not Richie was a homosexual/bisexual person, it doesn't matter. It doesn't change anything, it just means he likes one gender over the other (or both). He's still Richie. So why does it matter if he's homosexual/bisexual if it doesn't change the character? I mean, sure they could have a decent story about how Virgil would react, and how Richie could come out, but it's the same character, the only that changes about him is his sexuality. But it's still the same character, so why does it matter? I'll tell you: IT DOESN'T.

Skullduggery20

[49]Sep 5, 2010
    • level: 3

sylent_asassin wrote:
    This is actually a legitimate discussion when concerning the relation between the books and the cartoon. Apparently, the character in the books, Richie Stone is a homosexual. The cartoon persona however, Richie Foley is NOT. Let's get real here. Static Shock a cartoon intended for children. There's no way Dwayne McDuffie, the show's creator and the producers would expose children to such heavy subject material. They may have pushed the proverbial envelope with the racism, various urban issues and gang violence, but I'm sure homosexuality is not an avenue they would choose to explore by using a cartoon as an outlet.
    Actully in supermans animated series they hinted a female cop was gay like in the comics in a way you could pick it up but only if you really looked so it ould have been possible.And the producers said that to them he was always gay even though they never said it.