Static Shock

The WB (ended 2004)

Silver_Sword_14

Static Shock Fan Reviews (71)

• This show is so lame.

0.1
    ANOTHER superhero show!? Come on! I KNOW Cartoon Network can do better than that! Wasn't Justice League enough??? Every time it came on I started channel surfing. Super hero shows are just so unoriginal. And the plot! A superhero that comes out of no where and can't tell anyone except his best friend? Oh, where have I heard THAT before? *Rolls eyes* I hope I NEVER have to see it again.
  • Super zero Static Shock.

This is so bad. I cannot believe that they aired this on Cartoon Network. It was a huge piece of crap and was not worth my watch time. Static controls electricity and his friend has the power to control machines and uses a jet pack. That is so lame. I would give it a zero, but i give it a one because i find the theme song sung by Lil Bow Wow (i think that is him) to be catchy.
  • Not bad, but the comics are sooo much better

In the early 1990's, Dwayne McDuffie started Milestone Comics, an offshoot of DC Comics. The difference between his comics and DC's? His comics featured a more realistic racial variety, more human characters(for the time. DC's caught up by now), and some of the greatest heroes and villains most of the world has never seen. One of these heroes was Static. Milestone eventually was shut down in 1996-97, but the characters got one last breath of life in 2000, when Warner Brothers and Dwayne McDuffie creawted Static Shock, the more kid-friendly version of the Milestone universe. Lots of things have changed between then and now, and, really, the comics are better, but the show still deserved better than cancellation after teh fourth season, just like how Milestone Comics deserved better than what it got. That is all.
  • A gas explosion gives super powers to the most unstable segment of the population--teenagers.

6.7
    What would you do if you suddenly had super powers? If you had the strength to crush cars like soda cans or take out the trash just by looking at it? Well, if you're disaffected enough to join a gang and live in a TV show called Static Shock, you'd probably make up a silly name and start pushing normal people around. Unless you're Virgil Hawkins, who instead made up a silly name and flies around on a manhole cover trying stop everybody else with super powers. It was a show about growing up with super powers added to the normal problems of keeping your grades up and having to face bullies, and done better than a lot of its kind because it was so serious. But eventually they seemed to feel the need to glam it up, making Richie a super-genius and throwing in all kinds of guest stars from the Justice League cartoon to famous basketball players. When that happened it seemed desperate for attention to me. The show never fell far enough to jump the shark, but it was never the same.
  • This show adds colour to the super hero world and introduces problems that other heroes wouldnt have.Its hard going to school and trying to save the world while keeping your identity a secret but somehow vergil manges to do just that.

This was one of my personal favs cause of how much more relatable it was for me at that time.Static was not just a kid living in a community not too different from my own but it added to that he was black which help me see myself in every episode .He dad was not an alien or a billionaire but a single parent doing his best.It was hard for me to see the flaws but maybe i didnt want to but overall this was a decent show that i could watch over and over.
  • Superb!!!

Mean I never get tired of this show! no matter how many times i watch it, i can\'t seem to get enough of it. Even though i have seen soo ... many teen superheroes, static always stands out of them all. i don\'t know what of it gets me, i don\'t really like the theme song but even though i watch all the shows even when i don\'t like it. too bad it stopped showing. Hope they will show static again soon coz i really miss it and i am sure every static fan would want it to come back again.
  • Static Shock is proberly Bill Cosby's version of a superhero... and that's good enough for me. Dwayne McDuffie, I tipped my hat to you for it makes me want to produce shows and write books like this. Thanks for your creating Static!

Static is proberly one of the most underrated cartoons you'll ever see. It fits perfectly with a child; it have action, adventure and messages about growing up. Based (loosely) on Dwayne McDuffie's comic, Static is what happens when a superhero have to have to deal with teenage problems. Besides the superhero antics, it also focus on Virgil Hawkins growing up in a single parent environment, a reality that a lot of urban kids faces today.

While it doesn't stick to the comic formula most of the times, it doesn't have to. Static have all the action, adventure and surprises that kids can handle, but with a moral message behind it, making it not only a fun show to watch, but a smart show as well. It's sad that not a lot of cartoons are done this way these days.

Lucky for us, since Static does appear in Justice League Unlimited (with Dwayne McDuffie as one of the producers) maybe it won't be long before Static comes back.
  • I'd Loved if this show would come back on the hub showing reruns

This had me struck when i was a kid and it was still active static shock had me hooked he was at least 3rd behind Spider-Man and The Flash The show acually had a great plot and all with Bang Babies and other stuff but all isn't lost because Static Shock real name Virgil Hawkins was in a couple of The hit series Young Justice episodes but i hope he's all ready a super hero before he starts dressing up in the show but overall the show was great i still watch it to this day i acually find the Cross-Overs with Super-Man and Batman-Man and The Justice League and I loved it
  • Quick-witted Virgil Hawkins uses his electromagnetic superpowers to fight crime as a superhero.

Quick-witted Virgil Hawkins uses his electromagnetic superpowers to fight crime as a superhero. Created by Dwayne McDuffie (Justice League Unlimited), “Static Shock” is a fun animated series that lasted a course of four seasons. The character of Static is much similar to Spider-Man. He is a fourteen year old student who struggles in his daily responsibilities as a regular teenage boy and a super charged crime fighter. The episodes are certainly amusing and quite relatable. It often focuses on real life topics such as racism, gang violence, loss of a family member and more. The characters and dialogue is well developed. The animation and battle scenes looked very well. The animated series gained a solid viewing audience and earned several awards. Later seasons feature special episodes with strong morale messages and appearances of popular DC Comics’ heroes like Batman, Superman, Green Lantern and the Justice League.
  • This is an excellent show that should come back.

This show is great. It’s about a black superhero that fights crime in the city of Dakota. I love this show because it shows the main character before he gets his power. Then it shows how he learns to control it and how he, as a character, evolves over the course of the series show has great heroes and villains. This show also has great normal characters such as Virgil’s sister. This show is excellent because although it was based off a comic book, it still manages to make it exciting and interesting. I would recommend this show to anyone who like supershows.
    I loved this show so much. i really really wish that they had not got rid of static shock. it was a really totaly unique show. my favorite villan and or character was ebon the powers of everyone was really really original and ireally loved it. i really hope that they either bring back at least repeats or bring back brand new episodes with new characters. i was so so sad when they canceled it i hope that it comes back it is a rweally great show that every one th at i know really really like a lot. overall it is great
  • A great Cartoon, suprising for Kids WB.

Static was a great cartoon about Virgil Hawking and his friend Ritchie who were superheroes. The concept was great, some kids get infected with a purple gas giving them super powers and also there was finaly a black superhero. Virgil "Static" and his electricity powers and Ritchie "Gear" and his gadgets. Bring it back!
  • This show is about a gorup of people living int he inner city that happen to be in the worng or wright place at htat time. they then end up gettign super powers and then the show takes off.

this is a shockingly good show. When i first saw it on tv i didnt know what to think. i watched a few epissodes an ended up taking a likeing to the show. it makes you thing onceagain that you to could get super powers. One other great thing about this show is that it makes the super hero protect not only the big imprtatn parts of the world but the small parts of town that are often over looked. A good show overall and it dose what any good show should do and that is to entertaine.
  • A teenager, who is caught in an explosion is given electromagnetic powers

If nothing else this show has an exelent villan Ebon, with shadow powers, though he is more crafty and devious than the hero his power can not match up to Statics. Though it has the alredy gone over theme of hiding ones identity it is also very continous, new charectors, when introduced stay and the main charectors devolop and change. Static even changes his costume in the series, and his best friend, a one time behind the scenes man ends up joining him as his partner it is not that funny but the conflicts between Virgel and his sister are good to watch.
  • Season 5 and 6 That Should Have Been a Long Time a Go

Could Have Made Wonder Woman Batgirl Nightwing and Supergirl Appear in the Series a Long Time a Go.

Oh Will is Only a Series

• A nice superhero show that I grew up watching.

This was a show that I used to wake up every Saturday morning to see on Kids WB. Static Shock, Jackie Chan Adventures, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, and The Batman were some of my favorite tv shows and they all appeared on Kids WB every Saturday morning. Static Shock was different from other comic book and superhero cartoons. It was a fresh, new series at it's time and it was actually based on the comic book series of the character. I think this show was also unique in the fact that the main character was an African-American. Yes, am African-American was the superhero of the series and his sidekick was Caucasian. I really enjoyed this series and I recomend it to everyone.
  • Electrifying!

This show is a great show and the creators should make a new season on cartoonnetwork. I loved to watch this show and love the reruns and if you have not seen this show watch what you can. The show is about a teenage boy named vergil hawkins who due to a gas explosion has electrity powers. And he has to use his powers to stop other people who got powers from the explosion! Bring it Back!
  • This show is shocking! LOL!

This show is cool it\'s about a kid (Vergal) that gets banged with \"Bang Baby Gas\" and they get super powers and ability. Regie is Statics sidekick and with these two they kick butt!

This show is another super hereo show. I think it will become a classic (atleast I\'ll remember it!) With all the super hereos coming and helping them out is trific!

I like this show. It will go down and history (I\'m pretty sure).
  • they had a black superhero

Quick-witted Virgil Hawkins finds himself imbued with electromagnetic superpowers after being exposed to a mutanic gas and takes on the guise of Static, an urban hero of his own creation. He confronts real problems and issues faced by today's kids, such as peer pressure, gangs and growing up in an ethnically diverse urban neighborhood. Learning to control his powers, figuring out how to patrol the skies at night and still
  • A black super-hero fights against mutants while dealing with real issues including gun-violence, racism, and dyslexia.

This show was good it was very brutal in it's honesty. For example, they talked about gang-violence, gun-violence in schools, racism, and the serious disease of dyslexia. I liked the very charasmatic young hero, Static/ Virgil hawkins, who is one of a rare few who decides to ue his powers to fight evil. Others indulge in the spoils of their powers, such as a mutant with the power of wind, a mutant who controls humans and later takes Carrie-like abilities (my favorite), and a mutant with acid powers (my other favorite) and a big dumb sidekick. I have to admit that the music was one of my favorite parts. I rate it an 8.7: great!
  • Virgil Hawkins was an average boy living an average life. unfortunatly to be protected from bullys he had to join a gang. when a toxic gas was realesed from the docks he and his gang members got transformed into bang-babies.

i generlly thought it was a good show. i would come home everyday from school and watch it until it stopped airing on the WB. one of my favorite episodes was with "Brainiache" and the justice league. at this time he had become partners with "Gear" who was secretly his best friend Richie. i also liked the first or second episode when he was in the junk yeard flying on the cars when he was getting the hang of his newly aquired powers. all the little gadets and gizmos that Gear can invent is pretty cool as well. it is a good show and i would definetly recomend watching it.
  • This show was really good

This show was a great show to wake up on Saturday mornings to. Almost every episode has a new villan and each one was great.

The show had a great plot and I liked how static obtained his abilities. It was different then your normal super hero that just wakes up one day and can do something. he actually got it from the gas in the first episode. I also liked how later on they added richie as a character with super powers. He was one of my favorite characters and I think it was interesting how he became one.
  • They should put new episodes.

Its the best show that was ever kids WB.
    But it should have hand to hand combat.
    But it has a good story big bang gas
    went around the city and if you smell
    you get powers and then Viril get powers
    and becomes static.Ten his friend gets
    and becomes Gear its a great to
    bad there is no more new episodes.

• This was one of the better DC cartoons.

I never would have thought that this show would be this good. It had good plots, interesting characters, excellent guest stars, and great fight scenes. This show also had a lot of great lessons about big problems in society, such as racism, gang violence, and guns in schools. I think this show also had good voice actors to boot. They were able to capture their character's feelings. I don't think this show had a real ending. The last episode of season four set us up for more episodes. I wish that this show would come back for one more season, so they could have a real ending. I also hope they will make a spin-off of this show. This was definitely one of the best DC Cartoons.
  • A show about an African-American superhero with electrical powers.

I think its great that this show is made cause there is no show about a black superhero. Static Shock is one of the best shows on Kids WB. The villains are awesome and the plots are really thrilling. Also the show has amazing crossovers with Batman Gotham Knights, Justice League Unlimited and Batman Beyond. Young superhero with amazing allies like Rubberbandman, She-Bang and Anansi really made this show what it is. Also the show is the second longest African American animated show (Currently Little Bill is longest by six episodes). Static Shock U ROCK!!
  • I wish there was another season!

Static Shock is really funny and cool! Virgil is someone that students can look up to. His problems relate to my problems sometimes. virgil is quite cute if you ask me. Richie should not be treated like a sidekick. He is really powerful if you look at him closely. Don't underestimate a nerd! Heck, i'm a nerd! Sharon is a pretty cool sister. Though, sometimes she can be pretty mean to her brother, not that Virgil's not mean to her. Mr. Hawkins is really strict but at the same time, really understanding. Rubberband man is weird. i don't really like his character much. But, he's okay, I would love to be a hero like them.
  • WHY WHY WHY!!!!

When this show first hit the airs, I had not interest in it. I never even cared to give it the time of day. And just on a whim, I caught an episode, and another, and another...heh, And I was hooked. The artwork and stories greatly improved over the seasons. As well as the action. And when they started having members from the JL on it, I was really impressed with the show. Grant it, the episodes that had the Backstreet Boys, Shaq, And the NFL all Star Team on it...I could have done without, but the originality of the story and charater creation was great. But like all good shows, it was snatched off the air WITHOUT any indication it was ending. The series ended with the belief that the next Season was going to ring in with a blast after it end with Hotstreak and Ebon fusing together. But after that.....NOTHING!!! Why in the hell do they keep canceling the good shows, whats even worse...not really ending the series...too stupid!!! Bring it back and end it right at least!!! But this show came a long way in my opinion, and it cold have gone further if WB was not run by idiots!! And this is JUST my opinion.
  • Static Shock is an excellant show I think they should bring it back.

I love Static Shock its so cool and all of the episodes and sounds were good and I'm wondering why they cancelled a good show like this they should really bring this show back what do the fans got to say it was a good show with a good meaning.
  • Only 9 words to say!

I only have 9 words to say: I PUT A SHOCK IN YOUR SYSTEM, STATIC SHOCK!
  • Static Shock

Even after all these years I still love this show. I rewatched the entire series only a couple of years ago and it still holds up. The story lies are hilarious, thoughtful and interesting. I adore the fact that I always accept Virgil and Richie as being teenage boys with good hearts. I always wish the show had gone on longer because I wanted to see where they would go after Bang Babies where cured.

Man... now I want to watch it all over again.
< 1 2 3