Static Shock

The WB (ended 2004)

Silver_Sword_14

Static Shock Fan Reviews (72)

• Static Shock is proberly Bill Cosby's version of a superhero... and that's good enough for me. Dwayne McDuffie, I tipped my hat to you for it makes me want to produce shows and write books like this. Thanks for your creating Static!

Static is proberly one of the most underrated cartoons you'll ever see. It fits perfectly with a child; it have action, adventure and messages about growing up. Based (loosely) on Dwayne McDuffie's comic, Static is what happens when a superhero have to have to deal with teenage problems. Besides the superhero antics, it also focus on Virgil Hawkins growing up in a single parent environment, a reality that a lot of urban kids faces today.

While it doesn't stick to the comic formula most of the times, it doesn't have to. Static have all the action, adventure and surprises that kids can handle, but with a moral message behind it, making it not only a fun show to watch, but a smart show as well. It's sad that not a lot of cartoons are done this way these days.

Lucky for us, since Static does appear in Justice League Unlimited (with Dwayne McDuffie as one of the producers) maybe it won't be long before Static comes back.
  • This show is so lame.

0.1
    ANOTHER superhero show!? Come on! I KNOW Cartoon Network can do better than that! Wasn't Justice League enough??? Every time it came on I started channel surfing. Super hero shows are just so unoriginal. And the plot! A superhero that comes out of no where and can't tell anyone except his best friend? Oh, where have I heard THAT before? *Rolls eyes* I hope I NEVER have to see it again.
  • This show is shocking! LOL!

This show is cool it\'s about a kid (Vergal) that gets banged with \"Bang Baby Gas\" and they get super powers and ability. Regie is Statics sidekick and with these two they kick butt!

This show is another super hereo show. I think it will become a classic (atleast I\'ll remember it!) With all the super hereos coming and helping them out is trific!

I like this show. It will go down and history (I\'m pretty sure).
  • A show about an African-American superhero with electrical powers.

I think its great that this show is made cause there is no show about a black superhero. Static Shock is one of the best shows on Kids WB. The villains are awesome and the plots are really thrilling. Also the show has amazing crossovers with Batman Gotham Knights, Justice League Unlimited and Batman Beyond. Young superhero with amazing allies like Rubberbandman, She-Bang and Anansi really made this show what it is. Also the show is the second longest African American animated show (Currently Little Bill is longest by six episodes). Static Shock U ROCK!!
  • Finally a black superhero

This show was great! It was about a black teenage superhero. This show didn't need stereotypes to be a great show. It had some evil badguys and great action scences. Virgil evoveled over time and got a sidekick, a new costume, and became a better hero in general. It even mixed hip hop in it, too. Static Shock is a great show for everyone to watch and should be brought back.
  • This is one of the best shows every they need to bring it back.Static Shock had action,adventure,and life lessons.

Virgil Hawkens is teenage boy who got electricmagnetic powers from mutation gas.After gaining his powers Virgil decides to become a superhero named Static.Other teens who were also exposed to the gas were also given powers and most of them use their powers for wrong reasons and make trouble.Static has to stop them and save the city of Dakota.Static Shock was a great show and should be revived.Static was a teen hero trying figure out how to do his job as a normal teen and superhero.Static Shock was a great show.
  • Let's go back - to the good ol' time way when Super Heroes where just that - Super Heroes

Static Shock was a great animated series about Virgil Hawkins and his shocking supernatural powers.

I loved the show, and in fact it was for this show that I woke up early on Saturday mornings, grabbed a bowl of cereal and sat in front of the television watching each episode like I had gone back in time and become a kid again.

The storylines were great, and I loved the fact that Static Shock was just a simple cartoon without all of the over-the-top action and violence. Most of the cartoons of the day are just too overrated and appear to be aimed more at teenagers or young adults rather than youngsters of elementary level.

I'd love to see Static Shock back on television -it was a great show with what I thought was a promising future.
  • Your average african american teenager is dealing with the regular issues of a teenager (bullies, school, girls, the usual) and finds himself getting involved in an event that would change his life forever, and even more so the lives of everyone in Dakota

This is one of the only shows where the main hero is a black guy, at least that I know of in my generation so far. My other favorite black superhero is green lantern (justice league). But anyway, it does a good job of relating the show to common events and stuff in a teenagers life (except for getting powers). I am very surprised that they ended the show as early as they did, and continuing crap like xiaolin showdown.
  • This was one of the coolest shows on T.V. I think that it should be brought back To T.V.

I seriously hope the they give a Revitalization to that show. When I checked the ratings one time I found out that It was the most watched show On cartoonnetwork during the week. That has got to mean something. He's like a black Spiderman. That show needs to be revamped. BRING IT BACK!!!!!!
  • This show is about a gorup of people living int he inner city that happen to be in the worng or wright place at htat time. they then end up gettign super powers and then the show takes off.

this is a shockingly good show. When i first saw it on tv i didnt know what to think. i watched a few epissodes an ended up taking a likeing to the show. it makes you thing onceagain that you to could get super powers. One other great thing about this show is that it makes the super hero protect not only the big imprtatn parts of the world but the small parts of town that are often over looked. A good show overall and it dose what any good show should do and that is to entertaine.
  • Static shock is about non-stop action with teenager virgil Hawkins, copes with his powers, his family, his teenage issues, and did I mention he is the first black teenage superhero, and a superhero he is through and through. This show will make you take

Static shock, the worlds first black teenage superhero, and the only I might add, was, and is one of the best shows on tv today. Why it was cancel is beyond me. This show has everything, action, suspense, drama, comedy, heros, villans. BRING IT BACK!! BRING IT BACK!! BRING IT BACK!!! This show really did put a shock to the system.
  • Static Shock... A black, teenaged, shock inducing superhero from Detroit in the United States. A charming addition to the stable of superheroes in tights-themed shows.

role model
    n.

A person who serves as a model in a particular behavioral or social role for another person to emulate.

role model
    n.

someone worthy of imitation; "every child needs a role model"

Finally, a hero that children can truly look up to. With a past shaded in tragedy (the death of his mother), a classic superhero origin that provides the basis for every episode to follow, tieing in with the origins of nearly every member of his rogues gallery, Static Shock, by creator and greatest cartoon writer ever - Dwayne McDuffie (see Justice League Unlimited) showcases a teen hero for the new generation. A black kid with a nerdy white sidekick, zapping evil mutated teens with megavolts (when he's not grounded) and teaming up with the likes of Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Future Batman, and the Justice League to take on some of the universe's most capable supervillains.

My only complaint is that Static's powers too closely resemble those of fellow black superhero - Black Vulcan.

But other than that slight nitpick, this is truly, a darn good toon.
  • Electrifying!

This show is a great show and the creators should make a new season on cartoonnetwork. I loved to watch this show and love the reruns and if you have not seen this show watch what you can. The show is about a teenage boy named vergil hawkins who due to a gas explosion has electrity powers. And he has to use his powers to stop other people who got powers from the explosion! Bring it Back!
  • I want the 5th season and most of them I want Static to meet Teen Titans!

As I was saying, this is a very intresting cartoon.I wrote this review now because I'm in Thailand, the episode:'Shock to the System' aired in March 2005 and Season 3 aired in September. I really, really, really, really want to have the 5th season, 6th bseason is great. As Batman said in 'Hard as Nails', he said Static would meet the Titans. He was lying. I don't like batman to lie. I want at least 2 episodes when Static meets the Titans.
  • A gas explosion gives super powers to the most unstable segment of the population--teenagers.

6.7
    What would you do if you suddenly had super powers? If you had the strength to crush cars like soda cans or take out the trash just by looking at it? Well, if you're disaffected enough to join a gang and live in a TV show called Static Shock, you'd probably make up a silly name and start pushing normal people around. Unless you're Virgil Hawkins, who instead made up a silly name and flies around on a manhole cover trying stop everybody else with super powers. It was a show about growing up with super powers added to the normal problems of keeping your grades up and having to face bullies, and done better than a lot of its kind because it was so serious. But eventually they seemed to feel the need to glam it up, making Richie a super-genius and throwing in all kinds of guest stars from the Justice League cartoon to famous basketball players. When that happened it seemed desperate for attention to me. The show never fell far enough to jump the shark, but it was never the same.
  • This was one of the better DC cartoons.

I never would have thought that this show would be this good. It had good plots, interesting characters, excellent guest stars, and great fight scenes. This show also had a lot of great lessons about big problems in society, such as racism, gang violence, and guns in schools. I think this show also had good voice actors to boot. They were able to capture their character's feelings. I don't think this show had a real ending. The last episode of season four set us up for more episodes. I wish that this show would come back for one more season, so they could have a real ending. I also hope they will make a spin-off of this show. This was definitely one of the best DC Cartoons.
  • A Great Superhero Cartoon!

Static Shock was a great superhero cartoon, that should be brought back. They definatly could have had a great 5th season if they had gotten that toy deal. I hope that they bring it back, even though its unlikly since it has been off for over a year. It was a really great show, and if they had made a 5th season, I was hoping they would have Static and Gear meet the Teen Titans. That would have been cool, since in one episode, Batman said he would meet them one day. I hope that someday they bring Static Shock back.
  • Static shock was canceled early it's life, though I can't understand why becasue this show was very popular and if you walked down the street and asked someone who Static shock was they'd know.

Static shock was caneled but with it's popularity how cna this happen?! plus no other station picked it up? weird, cartoon network still shows repeats and if they are still showing those repeats doesn't that mean it's getting decent ratings or good ratings..? and so why was it canceled, and not picked up by another station? Odd. But it was about a kid who gets these electric(static) powers by inhaling some Gas that wasn't supposed to be released but he fights evil and was one of the Meta Humans(people infected by gas) that was good, the show was a DCComic show and was part of the justice league universe he even ran into the batman and superman and whatnot during it's 52episode run.
  • This show needs to come back.

Its one of the best superhero cartoons of all time, but was sadly short lived. I think it could have held up another season or four. Seriously, it taught great lessons, was touching, funny, very interesting, and to top it off, entertaining. You can't describe many shows using those words.
  • The first season I didn't appreciate so much, but the later ones (which I only found on Cartoon Network a year after the show was cancled) quickly hooked me.

I miss this show :(

They cancled it just as it was getting really good!
    The first season was a good start, but they improved the acting, script, and animation style immensely by the fourth season!

It was a good series, and I think now that super hero movies and comic books are coming back and younger generations (such as my little brothers) are getting interested in it they should have kept it going.

I could say the same for X-Men: Evolution and Batman Beyond :P
  • This is an excellent show that should come back.

This show is great. It’s about a black superhero that fights crime in the city of Dakota. I love this show because it shows the main character before he gets his power. Then it shows how he learns to control it and how he, as a character, evolves over the course of the series show has great heroes and villains. This show also has great normal characters such as Virgil’s sister. This show is excellent because although it was based off a comic book, it still manages to make it exciting and interesting. I would recommend this show to anyone who like supershows.
  • They should put new episodes.

Its the best show that was ever kids WB.
    But it should have hand to hand combat.
    But it has a good story big bang gas
    went around the city and if you smell
    you get powers and then Viril get powers
    and becomes static.Ten his friend gets
    and becomes Gear its a great to
    bad there is no more new episodes.

• One of the greatest teenage superhero shows I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

When "Static Shock" first premiered, I didn't like it because I thought it was boring...well, that was then, and this is now. I adore the show for everything it stands for--its unique plot, its cultural heritage, its action, everything. It's almost all you could ask for in a superhero show.

This is also, I believe, the first original debut of an African-American superhero. Green Lantern, although he's African-American in the new Justice League episodes, was actually Caucaisan to begin with (when the show was back in the '60s). Now people aren't so racially biased--and this show is wonderful! It portrays African-American life, straight down to the roots of its culture, without doing any stereotyping--the main character is actually a nice guy with a good attitude and respect toward everyone--except his older sister, that is. Everyone else has wonderful character development, and the way that their superpowers were triggered (the incident with the "Big Bang" gas) was very original and interesting. The villains possess awesome powers, and there's never a dull moment.

What I also like about this show is that, despite the fact that it's a superhero show, it portrays the aspects of modern life as we know it--problems with the family, losing ones we love, emotional stress, rejection, and so much more--there was even a special episode about guns, which I found very emotional and not at all like the propaganda commercials I used to watch way back when. The characters--even the villains--have bad problems in their lives that they all need to resolve, and because of that I find it easy to relate to the characters themselves. Overall, a wonderful show which I highly recommend to all superhero lovers out there.
  • Static Shock is an excellant show I think they should bring it back.

I love Static Shock its so cool and all of the episodes and sounds were good and I'm wondering why they cancelled a good show like this they should really bring this show back what do the fans got to say it was a good show with a good meaning.
  • Super zero Static Shock.

This is so bad. I cannot believe that they aired this on Cartoon Network. It was a huge piece of crap and was not worth my watch time. Static controls electricity and his friend has the power to control machines and uses a jet pack. That is so lame. I would give it a zero, but i give it a one because i find the theme song sung by Lil Bow Wow (i think that is him) to be catchy.
  • Static Shock is great!

I loved this show and look for it in re-runs but I hope the network brings it back. The constant story of Viril Hawkins, teen=ager and Static Shock bring a great balance to the show. He is the Peter Parker/Spiderman of a new generation.
    I hope it comes back soon.

Sincerely,

Mike
  • A great Cartoon, suprising for Kids WB.

Static was a great cartoon about Virgil Hawking and his friend Ritchie who were superheroes. The concept was great, some kids get infected with a purple gas giving them super powers and also there was finaly a black superhero. Virgil "Static" and his electricity powers and Ritchie "Gear" and his gadgets. Bring it back!
  • This is a great cartoon that had many issues teens face, and is fun to watch with super hero action and humor. Too bad it still doesn't run anymore (at least from what I see). Even better is that it finally shows a positive black person.

Static Shock is a show about a black teen named Virgil Hawkins. After getting jumped by F-Stop and his gang after school, he reluctantly goes along with a gang that saves him, led by Wade. Wade's gang is about to fight F-Stop's gangs while the cops fire at the docks and hit a chemical full of gas which mutates people into metahumans (or they call bang babies).

Virgil gets his electrical superpowers here but doesn't get effected too much because he tried to run away during the fight (he knew gangs were wrong but felt forced into going to this area by Wade).

The thing I like the most about this show is that it shows black people in a good light for once. The main character, Virgil Hawkins is a charismatic and intelligent (clever and makes funny jokes) person. His father, Robert Hawkins is also an admirable person. He is a great father figure and helps out his family as much as he can after his wife died. I wish more shows like this would air; I see too many stereotypes of black people on television.

It is just rare to see honorable, intelligent, and trustworthy black people on television; especially black fathers, who are usually missing when it comes to airing black people on television (Mainly with black athletes in which the only parent mentioned is the mother).
  • A teenager, who is caught in an explosion is given electromagnetic powers

If nothing else this show has an exelent villan Ebon, with shadow powers, though he is more crafty and devious than the hero his power can not match up to Statics. Though it has the alredy gone over theme of hiding ones identity it is also very continous, new charectors, when introduced stay and the main charectors devolop and change. Static even changes his costume in the series, and his best friend, a one time behind the scenes man ends up joining him as his partner it is not that funny but the conflicts between Virgel and his sister are good to watch.
  • Quick-witted Virgil Hawkins finds himself imbued with electromagnetic superpowers after being exposed to a mutanic gas and takes on the guise of Static, an urban hero of his own creation. He confronts real problems and issues faced by today's kids, such a

This show was one of the best shows on WB Kids ever they really should bring this show back it was a positive show and it had lots of action. If they did bring it back they should do some episodes in the future when Static is grown up and in the new Justice League plus his powers are way better when he's older they show them in one of the JLU episodes. They should really strongly consider bringing this back im probably going to start a petition on petition.com and I hope some of u other Static fans will do the same or sign mine when I make it.
< 1 2 3