Static Shock

The WB (ended 2004)

Silver_Sword_14

Static Shock Fan Reviews (71)

• Why was this show cancelled???!!

Why!?! Why?!? Whay did they cancel this show?!?!? THis was like my favorite show when I was lil. This was such a great show!!If only the brought it back!! They made a mistake taking this show off!! I loved the adventures of Virgil Hawkins and his friend Richie. They went around and saved the people of the city. This reminds me on Danny Phantom. U kno, Danny=Superhero, saves city, fights with sister. Static= Superhero, saves city, and fights with his sister. Static Shock was such a gooood show!!! I wish they would bring this show back! I miss Static Shock! Bring it back!
  • Why don't they continue it

I am a bored 17 year old teen who started watching cartoon shows as means of procrastination.. but as soon as i started following this series I completely fell in love with it. The characters are original, the voice acting is AMAZING, and compared to the other shows i had watched it looked half as ***ed. There were some moments where I could strongly relate to the situations, and I loved the fact that the aim was not only to entertain but to educate, and that there were serious themes hidden beneath the kid-approved content. For some reason this show just gave me happiness as i saw Virgil struggle against the death of his mother, always following the right path... It is a real shame that after 52 episodes it has to end... there could have been so much more content....

I read that the show was cancelled right after the death of the writer, to which I give enourmous props.... I do understand the fact that hiring a new writer might compromise the spirit behind the show.. but the show CAN be continued if competent people are chosen...

I seriously wonder why they do not do some new seasons after all of the speculation and re-makes this industry has done. Hey guys, easy source of money right here, Y U NO TAKE ADVANTAGE!!!!?????
  • Well done, well planned and well received by me.

It just came out of nowhere when I was TV-surfing on Cartoon Network. Then Static showed up, and my evenings in Cartoon Network were never boring again (until they cancelled the show, that is).

One of the biggest things that pulled me to this show is that it feels so real, because first of all, this show isn't set on the moon or a distant universe (that is to say, a fictional planet like Krypton.) The story is set in a city in Dakota, where most of the action is from the gas station (Static and Gear's HQ), the Hawkins' (Static and his family's) Household and within the city (where most of the blows are traded between Static and the baddies). Also, the everyday life for Static (or should I say Virgil Hawkins) is so well depicted (examples there are the arguments between Virgil and his sister or father, school life, bullies and grades). I could watch one of the episodes and can say "I can relate to that" every time I see Virgil's struggles while not being the superhero he is. But at the same time, the show manages to fuse the superhero elements with the environment at the same time, and that is a very huge feat. I can sometimes see that other shows are so caught up trying to force-feed the superhero twist into their show; they forgot to check the facts and made their universe a bit too unrealistic. Well not this show. In a nutshell, the show is able to balance between having a realistic setting while adding the superheroes into the story effortlessly. And that's a big plus. I am not saying that unrealistic environments and settings are going to be penalized. I'm saying that realistic settings can personalize the experiences of viewers; they can see themselves in Virgil's/other characters' shoes.

Another reason that this I am a fan of the show is because of two of the characters. They are Static (Virgil) and his father Robert. They grew on me and I'll probably never forget them for a long time. The reasons why are listed here:

Virgil Hawkins/Static: His wisecracks add comedy relief in battles against his enemies can put some light in the heat of a serious brawl. He is an example of a typical teen who is trying to overcome a death of a parent and the usual stresses of a 15-year-old.

Robert Hawkins: His understanding personality is a trait that a lot of people yearn for. Think of all the people who are struggling with their psychological problems (eg. dealing with a death of a loved one, arguments within the family and so on). It would be different if those people hang around the Freeman Community Center, having Robert Hawkins giving them his attention. They will feel much better when they are being listened to. To me, Robert is a symbol of understanding.

So whether you are channel surfing or on YouTube, and you bump into Static, grab your popcorn, sit on your most comfortable sofa, and lock your remote control in a safe until the show is over. Static is going to deliver, and he's not going to disappoint. This is a fact that will last as long as time itself. - Warrior of Zero
  • Bringing back this show would be quite nice - it was very nice.

I did love Static Shock.
    Even now, as of maybe five or so years later since it's last episode's air date, I still like it (I still record every episode from Disney XD at 3PM EST).

No matter my protests and such, the show was really great.
    Most of the episodes had morals (even though they were always kind of hidden in most episodes) & intrigue, which also kept viewer's on the edge of their seat waiting for Virgil/Static (and later on, Richie/Gear) to kick some majour bad-guy butt.

Although, it did seem quite off to me that the show could even be considered to be Y7 still.
    Yes, I must admit that they really had to tone it done from the comics, but without it's very "comic-orgin" sense of style, the show just never got me going like the Static comics did.
    But it still had lead evidence from it's true comic origins, but the I still don't like that fact that they opened the show to a Y7 audience, giving the fact that it included problems such as gang violence(s), riots, bullying, and other sets of more-than-Y7-ratings, if you know what I mean.

Alas, overall, and as you know, the Static Shock show could never possibly relate in heavy regard to the comics - seeing as they'd run into Copyright issues & such, even with permission from the creator(s), but I still miss (first off, the good ol' Richard "Rich" Stone - although Richard "Richie" Foley has always been a blast too) the good comic-twist that always left us camping out at our local comics stores waiting for the new issue to arrive at midnight - or was that just me? c:
  • Dwayne's Best Work.

Bring the series back!

The series should have never been cancled and Static was the greatest superhero show on Kid's WB! and deserves better then that!

Some of my favorite episodes are The Big Leagues, Future Shock, A League of Their Own, Kid Napped and Jimmy.

The series was Dwayne's best work and I'm glad he wanted the series to be animated. The series could have never been better and I think that it definatly should have been better so only 3 words.

Bring it Back!

Who's with me? Bring the series back! Kid's WB, Bring the series back. It shouldn't have been cancled.
  • Finally a black superhero

This show was great! It was about a black teenage superhero. This show didn't need stereotypes to be a great show. It had some evil badguys and great action scences. Virgil evoveled over time and got a sidekick, a new costume, and became a better hero in general. It even mixed hip hop in it, too. Static Shock is a great show for everyone to watch and should be brought back.
  • A nice superhero show that I grew up watching.

This was a show that I used to wake up every Saturday morning to see on Kids WB. Static Shock, Jackie Chan Adventures, Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, and The Batman were some of my favorite tv shows and they all appeared on Kids WB every Saturday morning. Static Shock was different from other comic book and superhero cartoons. It was a fresh, new series at it's time and it was actually based on the comic book series of the character. I think this show was also unique in the fact that the main character was an African-American. Yes, am African-American was the superhero of the series and his sidekick was Caucasian. I really enjoyed this series and I recomend it to everyone.
  • Static Shock is proberly Bill Cosby's version of a superhero... and that's good enough for me. Dwayne McDuffie, I tipped my hat to you for it makes me want to produce shows and write books like this. Thanks for your creating Static!

Static is proberly one of the most underrated cartoons you'll ever see. It fits perfectly with a child; it have action, adventure and messages about growing up. Based (loosely) on Dwayne McDuffie's comic, Static is what happens when a superhero have to have to deal with teenage problems. Besides the superhero antics, it also focus on Virgil Hawkins growing up in a single parent environment, a reality that a lot of urban kids faces today.

While it doesn't stick to the comic formula most of the times, it doesn't have to. Static have all the action, adventure and surprises that kids can handle, but with a moral message behind it, making it not only a fun show to watch, but a smart show as well. It's sad that not a lot of cartoons are done this way these days.

Lucky for us, since Static does appear in Justice League Unlimited (with Dwayne McDuffie as one of the producers) maybe it won't be long before Static comes back.
  • About this series

It had great music score in Season 3.
  • Bring Static Back!

I love Static Shock, Gear's my favorite character, I just wish they would put the show back on the air. The world needs this show they should just put the show back with new episodes or something, Static should be on the HUB channel like Batman.
  • i wish they could bring it back!!!!!!!!!

i wish they can bring static shock back but to answer why they didn't is because of financial problems with kids Wb which was the original channel of the show.despite the great tv ratings they extended the show as long as they could (52 eps.).i used to love the 1999-2004 kids wb with shows like pokemon,jackie chan adventures,static shock,xiolin showdown.i also liked fox kids when i was small with shows like digimon and stuff.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  • Static Shock, check out re-runs on the Disney XD timeblock in February '09 on toondisney. It was an amazing show and set great examples for kids of yesterday and today.

This was a great show and still can be once again if new viewers take a look at the re-runs airing on the new Disney XD timeblock on what is now toondisney in February '09. Check it out!! Who knows, it could be revived. It dealt with real-life issues and was one of the only animated action/comedy shows to showcase an African-American hero as the protagonist on television then, and since. Another great animated superhero television show was the Justice League and the Justice League Unlimited which many would say represents the late '90's to '00's generation of kids and the producers of that show found Static Shock to be appropriate in its core values and morals for a crossover with their show. I'm just saying kids could use some better examples in animated superhero shows today, and a good place to start is in past shows.
  • I love this show. A regular kid, Virgil Hawkins gets super powers. It may sound old and played out, but it isn't.

Virgil Hawkins was an average kid, but then a bully got a problem with him. He kept beating the snot out of Virgil everyday, that guy had a gang and they weren't letting up. So daryle, was a good guy, although he was in a gang as well. He told Virgil to come to the dock by the shore, and hung up before Virgil could refuse. So Virgil went down to the dock, only to find a gang war. They had guns and were ready to kill, Virgil knew this was wrong and ran, but when he was running the unexpected happened. A gun shot hit some toxic gas and it burst open, it could in everyone's lung there, and houses near by. It gave them superspowers, the majprity of people who got it were bad, now "Static" Virgil's super hero name has to save people lives from these people.
  • This show needs to come back.

Its one of the best superhero cartoons of all time, but was sadly short lived. I think it could have held up another season or four. Seriously, it taught great lessons, was touching, funny, very interesting, and to top it off, entertaining. You can't describe many shows using those words.
  • I liked Static Shock a lot. It had the classic comic book theme to it, but the characters were somewhat different, and that's what I liked about it.

I liked Static Shock a lot. It had the classic comic book theme to it, but the characters were somewhat different, and that's what I liked about it. Static (Virgil) was such a unique character with a unique personality to match, that I couldn't help but like him. He won't ever be one of the legendary superheroes, but he's still pretty cool. I also enjoyed all the various villians. (I'm sure there were ones like them in the classic comic books, but since I'm one of the people who doesn't read comic books, I wouldn't know. :P) So...yeah...Static Shock was a good show. :P
  • refreshing superhero entertainment

Do not get me wrong. Static Shock is, by no stretch of the imagination, a worthy substitute for Justice League. However, it is a fairly refreshing dose of superhero entertainment. I enjoyed most of the episodes of this show, though it did have a few problems. However, most of these problems were at the beginning. My main beef with the show's start was the lack of decent animation. I also disliked the monotonous turn that the first one or two seasons took. It eventually got to the point where one could predict what would happen. A bad guy is made, Virgil fights the guy and loses one, two, three times, the guy captures one of Virgil's friends or threatens to blow up the town, and Virgil pulls it together and takes the guy out when it counts, having learned some sappy lesson about family in the process. However, the last seasons more than made up for this with killer animation, episodes that had above average plot lines, epic team-ups with other heroes, and a great (if not unfortunate) series finale. Super show, guys.
  • A black super-hero fights against mutants while dealing with real issues including gun-violence, racism, and dyslexia.

This show was good it was very brutal in it's honesty. For example, they talked about gang-violence, gun-violence in schools, racism, and the serious disease of dyslexia. I liked the very charasmatic young hero, Static/ Virgil hawkins, who is one of a rare few who decides to ue his powers to fight evil. Others indulge in the spoils of their powers, such as a mutant with the power of wind, a mutant who controls humans and later takes Carrie-like abilities (my favorite), and a mutant with acid powers (my other favorite) and a big dumb sidekick. I have to admit that the music was one of my favorite parts. I rate it an 8.7: great!
  • Outstanding animated program with real life references

OK, this show was awsome. Some may say that it ended rather abruptly, but i dont think so. I believe that the animators did a fantastic job of ending the show with the fact that Static and Gear still had their powers, and that due to past episodes, they would grow up to join the justice league. When i first started watching this show, i wondered if i would get into it, and i did! This show had real life references in almost every episode, from homelessness to violence and peer pressure. It was the kind of stuff most people try not to think about, but i think the animators did an excellent job of making it so kids could get the message across too.
  • i thought it was the best cartoon of all times. bring it back that was my favorite show i wattched it everyday then when they took it off of the wb i watched it on cartoon network

thumbs up i give it the highest rating ever. i loved that show him and his best friend gear was the best. and how nobody knew that stactic was virgil was sweet and cool. i wish i had super powers like gear and static. the best thing about the show was when staic went to meet his future self. and the justice league. i dont think ya'll should have evr took that cartoon off. it seems like they always tke off the good cartoons. i wish they would bring back the classic cartoons like thundercats, or johnny quest, they even took off the justice league
  • This show is awesome!!! A high school student name Virgil Hawkins gets superpowers after he's been exposed to this purple gas.

He has the power of electricity and can control it. His mother was a nurse that died in a gang shooting. He lives with his father and sister, Sharon. Virgil\'s best friend is Richie. Being his best friend, they hang out a lot together, and as a result, got powers too. When Virgil got exposed to the gas, it was still kind of around him and Richie got exposed to the gas around Virgil. Richie is like the smartest person every...well, maybe not ever, but he\'s super smart. At first, he\'s all sad about it because he wanted a cool power, not something stupid, but after a while, he gets into it. He makes all these cool gadgets he use when there\'s trouble and he made these awesome walkie-talkies for him and Virgil, when they\'re in their superhero costumes. By the way, Virgil\'s alias is Static, if you didn't already now, and Richie\'s is Gear. I love this show. How come they don\'t show it anymore? It was awesome becuase the season ended with Mr. Hawkins finding out about Virgil and Richie being Static and Gear. Sharon didn\'t find out because she was tried of bang babies, as they call them, because they destroyed her car and she had tons of insurance bills, and didn\'t want to hear another word about them. Soo, they didn\'t tell her. I wish they would bring the show back...with a new season!!! That would be so totally cool!!!!
  • I want the 5th season and most of them I want Static to meet Teen Titans!

As I was saying, this is a very intresting cartoon.I wrote this review now because I'm in Thailand, the episode:'Shock to the System' aired in March 2005 and Season 3 aired in September. I really, really, really, really want to have the 5th season, 6th bseason is great. As Batman said in 'Hard as Nails', he said Static would meet the Titans. He was lying. I don't like batman to lie. I want at least 2 episodes when Static meets the Titans.
  • Static shock is about non-stop action with teenager virgil Hawkins, copes with his powers, his family, his teenage issues, and did I mention he is the first black teenage superhero, and a superhero he is through and through. This show will make you take

Static shock, the worlds first black teenage superhero, and the only I might add, was, and is one of the best shows on tv today. Why it was cancel is beyond me. This show has everything, action, suspense, drama, comedy, heros, villans. BRING IT BACK!! BRING IT BACK!! BRING IT BACK!!! This show really did put a shock to the system.
  • This is one of the best shows every they need to bring it back.Static Shock had action,adventure,and life lessons.

Virgil Hawkens is teenage boy who got electricmagnetic powers from mutation gas.After gaining his powers Virgil decides to become a superhero named Static.Other teens who were also exposed to the gas were also given powers and most of them use their powers for wrong reasons and make trouble.Static has to stop them and save the city of Dakota.Static Shock was a great show and should be revived.Static was a teen hero trying figure out how to do his job as a normal teen and superhero.Static Shock was a great show.
  • The first season I didn't appreciate so much, but the later ones (which I only found on Cartoon Network a year after the show was cancled) quickly hooked me.

I miss this show :(

They cancled it just as it was getting really good!
    The first season was a good start, but they improved the acting, script, and animation style immensely by the fourth season!

It was a good series, and I think now that super hero movies and comic books are coming back and younger generations (such as my little brothers) are getting interested in it they should have kept it going.

I could say the same for X-Men: Evolution and Batman Beyond :P
  • So much more could've happened!

I wish they had done more with this - it was a great show. I understand that some superhero teamups couldn't happen though - too bad. I would've liked to see a Teen Titans teamup - Batman promised! If they weren't planning on it he shouldn't have said anything or just "maybe." I'm not happy with their explanation of Richie getting his powers. It just seemed too convenient.
  • Static Shock

Even after all these years I still love this show. I rewatched the entire series only a couple of years ago and it still holds up. The story lies are hilarious, thoughtful and interesting. I adore the fact that I always accept Virgil and Richie as being teenage boys with good hearts. I always wish the show had gone on longer because I wanted to see where they would go after Bang Babies where cured.

Man... now I want to watch it all over again.
  • This show wasn't half bad.

The show, in my opinion, got better the last season. In the beginning, some of the plots were boring and stupid, but as the show progressed it got better. I really liked the last episode. I wish this show would come back, but it most likely will not like other shows (Teen Titans, X-men Evolution, etc.). This show was worth watching. It even teaches us about some diseases people have and maybe some younger children could learn from this. It also dealt with racial issues, which was cool. Overall, I think this show was worth watching and I hope, maybe somehow, they could bring it back.
  • I wish there was another season!

Static Shock is really funny and cool! Virgil is someone that students can look up to. His problems relate to my problems sometimes. virgil is quite cute if you ask me. Richie should not be treated like a sidekick. He is really powerful if you look at him closely. Don't underestimate a nerd! Heck, i'm a nerd! Sharon is a pretty cool sister. Though, sometimes she can be pretty mean to her brother, not that Virgil's not mean to her. Mr. Hawkins is really strict but at the same time, really understanding. Rubberband man is weird. i don't really like his character much. But, he's okay, I would love to be a hero like them.
  • Virgil Hawkins was an average boy living an average life. unfortunatly to be protected from bullys he had to join a gang. when a toxic gas was realesed from the docks he and his gang members got transformed into bang-babies.

i generlly thought it was a good show. i would come home everyday from school and watch it until it stopped airing on the WB. one of my favorite episodes was with "Brainiache" and the justice league. at this time he had become partners with "Gear" who was secretly his best friend Richie. i also liked the first or second episode when he was in the junk yeard flying on the cars when he was getting the hang of his newly aquired powers. all the little gadets and gizmos that Gear can invent is pretty cool as well. it is a good show and i would definetly recomend watching it.
  • they had a black superhero

Quick-witted Virgil Hawkins finds himself imbued with electromagnetic superpowers after being exposed to a mutanic gas and takes on the guise of Static, an urban hero of his own creation. He confronts real problems and issues faced by today's kids, such as peer pressure, gangs and growing up in an ethnically diverse urban neighborhood. Learning to control his powers, figuring out how to patrol the skies at night and still
< 1 2 3