Stella

Pilot

Aired Tuesday 10:30 PM Jun 28, 2005 on Comedy Central

• THAT SUCKED. Unoriginal, it was trying to be a Reno 911 or something like that, but it was not funny at all.

1.4
    It was not funny, nothing happened, they should cancel it now. Michael Ian Black should go back to I love the 80' s beacause he was much funnier there. Unbelivable, a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f
  • You know, I haven't laughed that hard since my last business transaction!

This is a great, but short-lived start to a great, but short-lived show. This episode sets up Stella, a comedy that packs in so many jokes within its half-hour that it’ll take numerous re-viewings in order to spot them all, like the transparency during Michael, Michael, and David’s meeting with the members of the co-op board, all black (“Why you should approve us: We’re Cool Guys, We know how to party, MAXIMUM YUKS!!!”), or how after David dramatically rushed to Libby’s apartment to profess his love, the rain continues to pour mercilessly on his head, despite the fact that he’s already entered the building. There is just so much material here, you can’t help but spend the entire time in fits of laughter.

The basic principles of the show are also established well in this episode. We learn of our male trio and its female rival counterpart. Michael is established as the crybaby, Michael as the leader of sorts with a bit of a mean streak, and David as the incredible ladies’ man. The three of them inevitably handle the dilemma presented to them in the strangest of strange ways before ending up right back where they started from, albeit with celebration (“YAY!”) and gifts along the way (I mean, come on, it’s a wicker basket from Pier One. What more could you want?).

Stella is a very weird show, but it’s weird in all the right ways, and the pilot is the perfect example of that. On top of that, this show teaches its audience practical tips for everyday life. How else would anyone know that all you need to do to clean up is fluff pillows? And what if someone were to question you on the varied differences between funk-ROCK and FUNK-rock?

Thanks to Stella, we now have nothing to fear but the Nazi war criminal landlord. But even he’s not all bad. I mean, he DID pay the dry cleaning bill after all.
  • Michael Showalter, Michael Ian Black and David Wain start out their comic series with a silly episode about the boys fitting in with everyday life and trying to keep their apartment.

This was packed with huge laughs and it was hilarious. It was one of the greatest pilots ever. A great start! The humor is original and really shows you the teams comic genious. The music is humorous and starts out the show every week after a little gag happends. It's the perfect comedy show everyones been waiting for.
  • A great way to start a great series.

The pilot episode of Stella had me hooked to the show right away. What could be funnier than a arguement over whether to listen to Funk, Funk Rock or Funk Rock? Nothing, that's what. The outlandish nature of the episode set the pace for the following ones. It's crazy, goofy, and most importantly, very funny.

The randomness of the show really appealed to me. For no reason they play raquetball, go to the sauna, and form tableaus. They take welcome mats to the dry cleaners. This would not be a good show if it weren't done so darn well. Michael, Michael, and David are all brilliant, and they really set the bar for the series with this very good pilot episode.
  • Simple, Nuevo Three Stooges.

Come on guys. It's the surreal Three Stooges. Slap stick, with-out the stick.... Slapping humor. Like Reno 911, are you kidding? Zany characters yes. De functional, maybe... Constant sugar fit. Defiantly! Can you make a fist? Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Stella's comedy all the time. Say give it a while, it will grow on you.
  • I have no clue what is going on in this episode, everything is totally random. Some parts are funny, but I'm not sure if it is worth watching. People just randomly appeared in one scene and nothing makes sense.

People just randomly appeared in one scene and nothing makes sense.

I like how Ed Norton randomly appeared and the jewish guy at the end.