Step by Step

CBS (ended 1998)

Step by Step Fan Reviews (43)

• Awesome show

This show was awesome. u never find such meaningful shows on tv miss it big
  • One of my favorite tv show of the 90s

Grew up watching. Pretty good.
  • This was a pretty standard show, with a cast of about 10 characters. It'd be hard enough getting to know them if they had personalities, but since they were boring it was that much harder to get into it.

3.7
    Step by Step was a pretty "standard" show by the definition of the industry. I can pretty much imagine the meeting that happened at ABC when they were thinking of the next hit sitcom to create.

Exec #1: "OK...we need another sitcom like the Brady Bunch...where two people with sole custody of their kids meet one another, fall in love and get married. We can then center the show around the hilarity that ensues when the kids don't get along."

Exec #2: "Let's throw in a twist though to be original...let's make it so the guy's kids are NOT all boys and the girl's kids are not all girls!! However, it will still need to come out to be a total of 3 boys and 3 girls...we can't tamper with this successful formula TOO much."

Exec #3: "Great idea...while we're at it let's throw in a goofy idiot that lives in a van in their driveway. It'll appear from his actions that he smokes a pound of weed a day, but he'll actually be a very moral and rightous dude."

And that right there describes this show. Who would have thought the hottest chick by the end of this show's run would have been the tomboy that came from Frank's side of the family? The other two girls just didn't age very well did they?

To sum it up, the plots were generally pretty boring and there was nothing new this show offered that other shows in the past hadn't offered. It just failed on most counts to be funny. Since it had a few moments here and there, I'll give it a more respectable rating, but I'm tempted to drive it down because of Suzanne Somers. *Gag*
  • Had pretty good characters. Cheezy at times but a nice family show of the 90s.

The show is about 2 families that are joined through the marriage of a single father and mother. They each bring along three children for a total of an 8 person family. They are joined by Frank's nephew Cody, who lives on their driveway in his van. The characters resemble a 90s lifestyle, but can be unrealistic at times. THe show is humerous and has many ways of relating real life to the audience. Although there are cheezy moments, they do convey many lessons typically seen and experienced by both the kids and adults in the family. It is entertaining and stands as one of the entertaining family shows of the 90s.
  • Avg to pass the time.

The show is about 2 families that are joined through the marriage of a single father and mother. They each bring along three children for a total of an 8 person family. They are joined by Frank's nephew Cody, who lives on their driveway in his van. The characters resemble a 90s lifestyle, but can be unrealistic at times. The show is humorous and has many ways of relating real life to the audience. Although there are cheezy moments, they do convey many lessons typically seen and experienced by both the kids and adults in the family. It is entertaining and stands as one of the entertaining family shows of the 90s.
  • This show is terrible and unfunny

I have no idea why did I wach that.Its a bad ripoff of Brady Bunch.The writng is bad and acting is even worse.The dad is a wuss,mom is confused and doesnt know how to run the house,and the kids are the worst.They just call eichother kiddy names,and it gets old pretty fast.Everyone is a jerk to everybody and because they wont work together,in every epi they screw everything up.The only good character on the show was Cody.He had some personality and humanity.But he went missing for a while and the series turned to crap again.This show is very annoying and im suprised it lasted that long.No offence to fans,but i just dont like it.
  • It is about a guy named Frank and a girl named Carol who gets married. Frank has three kids, J.T, Al and Brendan. Carol has three kids Dana, Karen and Mark. Each set of kids are total opposites then the other set of kids.

It is an pretty cool show. I just think that they have sex on their minds 24/7. Other than that it is a pretty good show. My fave character is either J.t or Dana. J.t and Dana are the only kids that don't learn to get a long. J.t, Al, and Brendan belong to Frank and Dana Karen and Mark belongs to Carol. Cody or other wise known as the Codeman is J.T's Cousin and best friend. Frank and Carol later has a daughter named Lilly. Carol is a beautician while Frank is a contractor. I hope this review has made you want to watch this show.
  • Who doesn't love this show?

Who doesn't enjoy watching Frank, Carol, and the gang of kids for 7 amazing seasons? Every season got funnier and funnier. The writers that were on this show were all amazing. Sibling rivalry, puberty, having boy/girlfriends, marital struggles, etc... there is such a long list of what this show is all about and it is so worth it to watch every season!!!

I think that I am the only one that I know who still watches the re-runs, so I would have to say that this show is underappreciated and should not be forgotten!

If you haven't seen Step by Step, you must!
  • Here's the story...of a man named Lambert...

At first glance, it would be very easy to compare this show to the Brady Bunch. For starters, both shows originally ran on ABC. Both shows were about blended families. Both shows featured a blonde mom named Carol. Mike Brady was an architect, Frank Lambert was a construction worker. Three sons and three daughters between them. Both shows even brought in a cute little kid to spice up their later seasons.

So you switch a few of the kids' genders, and trade out the wisecracking maid for a deceptively wise cousin living in a van in the driveway, and it's essentially the same show, right?

Not exactly.

While the Bradys tended to get along fairly swimmingly (right down to Carol's daughters taking the Brady name), the fact remains that not all blended families function as such. Step By Step illustrated this; yes, the Lambert kids and foster kids would clash. The gender-switching also contributed, because now you had children of mixed parentage being forced to share bedrooms. And since it was 20 years later, Step By Step was definitely able to tackle issues that the Brady Bunch couldn't...hell, the Brady Bunch never actually admitted that Carol was divorced.

When the show originally ran, I was young, so my main interest in the show...was Cody. Later on, watching it in syndication, I came to appreciate the topics of education, religion, fame, etc. that it addressed. Although I'll still admit...the episodes without Cody weren't as good.
  • Ripoff Of Every Show That Came Before It

When I first saw this in syndication, it was pretty good, I thought. But now, it is like every other family show from the 80's/90's era. Only difference is it isn't a typical mother/father, son/daughter type thing, it is a bigger family. But I did not like this show much nowadays. Acting is really bad, so is writing, and I do not find many of the episodes funny anymore. I also think the ending could have been much better. My overall grade for this series as a whole would be a D+ or so, and I would not recommend it
  • Another take on the American family.

Many people find this show to be very good, I myself find it a very good show if you don't take life too seriously. One detail I like personally about this show is the fact that all the stories are very real, things that could happen to you or any regular family. That's a good point because you can relate to the people on the screen and this helps create a close relationship between you and the show. Sadly, my favorite character was removed from the show, Cody, he was a good hearted clumsy guy that was always causing little trouble but at the same time helping solve other.
  • Much better than Full House!

This show is awesome! You got it right this time, Miller-Boyett! Your last show, Full House, was a total floppity-flop. But this show doesn't make such a big deal out of everything like Full House. Like no whiny little girls forcing their daddies to play monkey in the middle with them instead of going to work. I also love it so much that I compare the family in this show to my own family and 3 of my family's friends (I only have 3 siblings) and the family in Drake & Josh and some of their friends. And the baby of the family, Lilly, is so cute! And most importantly, this show is so much funnier than Full House. I wish it were still running, but I was only 5 when it got cancelled. Overall, this is a great show and should be more appreciated than Full House.
  • The show is really good.

Step By Step is an awesome show. I like the humor, sibling rivalry, and the characters. Cody is my favorite. He is so dumb and yet he is really smart. I like that after all those years of living together the Lamberts and the Fosters still argue even though they do like eachother. It is a really funny show. The way that 2 completely different types of families are forced to live together because their parents got married in jamacia is a really funny idea. I like the episode where Cody orders a Russian bride accidently. Step by step is a really great show.
  • Step by Step is show where two separate families join in marriage after a couple meet in Jamaica for a vacation. The show is set in Port Washington, Wisconsin. The father has two boys and a girl, and the mother has two girls and a boy.

Step by Step was a popular show in the 1990’s. It is a descent show, but it is very similar to a show that aired in the 1970’s, The Brady Brunch. It is just like any other family sitcom that aired in the 1990’s where one of the family members is put in a predicament and has to choice between the right and wrong decision, which ultimately always ends as doing the right thing situation, which is learning a key lesson in the mistakes made. It is much like Full House because it is untraditional family setting but not as extreme because the couple had separate families of their own until both got separated and met on a vacation in Jamaica and moved into Wisconsin. Overall, it was a good family values show.
  • I love this show.

I love this show. It's been my favorite for 2 years since that's how long i was watching it for. My favorite character was always Dana and Cody. It's too bad they took Cody out of the show and brought that stupid little brat lilly. Lilly ruined the show for me. On all the re-runs I watch, I'll only watch it until they get to the season where Lilly miraculously grew about 5 years. That is what probably make the show go downhill. They did fine all those years until Cody left and the little brat came. I stopped watching the most recent re-runs because of her.
  • It's a hilarious show that everyone I think can enjoy if they want to.

I remember a few years ago I would eagerly wait for summer or just a vacation from school. This was because Step by Step was on at one o'clock. I didn't get home from school until about three-ish. So I missed it. During the summer I would watch it every day. It's a great show with six children, later seven once Lily is born. At first it kind of reminds you of the Brady Bunch. They kids don't get a long, nor did they in the Brady Bunch. If you liked the Brady Bunch then you'll certainly like this show. It's a great show for the entire family I think.
  • One show I can't get tired of, it was great for me. Sure it wasn't the best sitcom ever aired, but it had it's moments where it was funny yet serious. This was good show to watch, and it was The Brady's meet the 90's.

I liked this show, and even though it had a Brady Bunch feel to it, it was way different. It wasn't too sugary and sweet like the Brady Bunch. It had real life problems, dreams, imaginations. It was one of the shows I think everyone can relate to at some point in time. It wasn't your typical trash talking sitcom like "married with children". This sitcom shown that this is what life is like in a small town, and being middle class. I think it was a show for it's day, if they try and redo Step By Step/Brady Bunch I don't think it'll work.
  • I reli lke this show. ive seen lke al the episodes..i miss it beeing on abc family in the afternoon!

This show is reli good, n i lke it a lot. its funi at times, its sad at times, its a great family show. its actualee reli good, i mean sometimes it may seem lke some of the moments are corny, but oh wel. lol, this show is stil good. if somehow you havent gotten the chance to watch it, i think you should totalee think about watching it. i wonder if ther are even boxsets..anyways, its a great show to watch with your family!
  • Here's a story of a lovely lady...and a man each raising children of their own, 3 boys, 3 girls, and that's how they became the new Brady Bunch.

Step By Step actually lacked in the area of plot lines for the six youngsters on the show. The most likeable of the kids were Dana and Al. This was acceptable because many a time the main focus of the show was on the parents who were actually entertaining! Patrick Duffy gave a physically comedic performance that gave him a wonderful presence as the head of the household. And, Suzanne Sommers made a comeback like no tomorrow as the delightful mother of this operation. Suzanne proved that Three's Company era tabloids were gone for good and that she was not as uneasy to work with as she was bitterly portrayed by her former co-stars.

It was dissappointing that the writes could not come up with a better flock of kids, but quirky actors like Sasha Mitchell came in and the flow somehow pulled together. No Family Ties, or Brady Bunch comparisons here. But, overall, the show is enjoyable...Especially with Duffy and Sommers leading the way.
  • A very good comedy for it's day.

This was a pretty good family sit-com. This show had a very good cast and pretty decent writing. It was a kind of show that kids and parents could both watch and enjoy. Suzanne Somers and Patrick Duffy stared as the parents Carol and Frank Lambert. This was the best role for each of them in my opinion. The rest of the cast included Sasha Mitchell as Cody Lambert, Jason Marsden as Rich Halke Angela Watson as Karen Foster, Christine Lakin as Alicia 'Al' Lambert, Staci Keanan as Dana Foster, Brandon Call as JT Lambert, Emily Mae Young as Lilly Foster Lambert, Christopher Castile as Mark Foster and Josh Byrne as Brendan Lambert. This was an show similar to the Brady Bunch. Some of the kids were from the first mariages of each parent. I would probably still watch it if it was on today.
  • why did this show last so long?

i would lose my mind if i were in a house with that many kids. why do so many people try to re make the braky bunch. do not get me wrong, it had it's funny moments, but enough to last that many yeats. no way no how. i rank this as a mediocore sitcom at best.
  • It Is a Really Great show infact it is not cancelled yet it is still on ABC Family (time zones may vary)

This show is the greatest show ever made although this and family matters are both great shows. This one is my favorite. I Look forward to watching it every day because it is a great show. Cody I believe is the funniest person in this show because he wants to always do things and makes people laugh, also i think Frank Is also the funniest because he makes wise cracks or jokes in the show. Carol is a great actor in this show, i think she plays a good mom in this one. Al and Dana are also good actors. The rest are also ok.
  • unappreciated but not by me

I like this show I wish I was home more when it is on I cant believe they cut off one of these episodes for family matters! I was so ticked. I think the whole cast has to be there to make it as wonderful as it is I mean it is sorta like Friends they all fit it togeather and if one leaves than i think the show will start going downhill I mean Dana especially shes so snobby but in a good way it is like her remarks and comebacks shes known for make her who she is
  • :) T'was good

This is one of these series i came to know and say each actors name before it had appeared on the screen while the credits, i think i'v been watching the whole series more than 10 times, each time it was on Tv.
    I was young at the moment and it was mostly a funny series, with those children brought together in this house with quite total strangers which (seems to) have nothing to do with them. It was a kind of endless little war between Fosters and Lamberts children. And Franck's simpelton nephew, living in the garden was particularly great, with is filosophy and is obsession about Dana :).
  • Total crap.

1.2
    bad acting + bad scripts + idiot audiences + lame premises + the kids + the terrible jokes + the contrived set-up + the rip off of Brady bunch + the poor man's version of full house (which is bad enough)+patrick duffy being 'funny' + ABC friday night= step by step
    I would rather be punched in the nuts.
  • A modern "Brady Bunch", Step by Step shows the true colors of two families uniting. It reveals the struggles that kids face when their parents remarry, as well as the growing together that happens over time.

This show is incredibly funny! The parents are played by Patrick Duffy (Dallas) and Susanne Sommers (Three's Company). Out of the entire cast, although talented and funny, Patrick and Susanne are the weakest of the cast; obviously the reason why the show doesn't revolve around them. Each of the kids represent a unique characteristic that really stands out in the show...yet, some of them stand out the most around other characters. Dana and J.T. are hilarious. You can always watch an episode and expect some witty come-backs and puns coming from these characters. However, standing alone, they are also very opposite and funny. Dana is perfectionistic, organized, and incredibly neat, while J.T. doesn't care how he does at anything, he's disorganized, and a slob. Karen is always putting herself infront of everything and would do anything to get a boy...Al (Christina Laken) is one of the most talented actress' on the show. She shows a great range of talent during her teenage years. She became one of my favorite cast members. My other favorite member was Rich, J.T.'s friend, who arrived on the show in the later part of the series. Rich was always good for a laugh. When he a Dana were made a couple, that was a dynamic duel. Rich was so loving, but a lot like J.T... just not as mean. He really loosened Dana's character up, while she made him a little less loose. To me, they were one of T.V.'s greatest couples!

All in all, I love this show! The cast, the characters, the scripts... It was fantastic!
  • I loved Step By Step. I have been watching it since it first started. I liked Alicia 'Al' Lambert played by Christine Lakin because she is one of my favorite characters in the show.

Frank (Patrick Duffy of Dallas) was a freewheeling, divorced contractor who had impetuosly married widowed beautician Carol (Suzanne Somers of Three's Company) when they met during seperate vacations.

For years the main characters have remained in the story. Others came and went sometimes for short periods and sometimes for many episodes.

They helped to make the story more exciting.
    Some of the main chracters were Carol, Frank, Brendan, Alicia and Cody.

Each episode was a story on its own but it formed part of the whole story.
  • Step By Step is about two families, the Fosters and the Lamberts who unite as one big family when Carol and Frank run away to jamaica and get married unexpectantly. They are now living their personal lives by taking it one day at at time.

Step By Step is an amazing show because it's involves kids growing up in a hilarious way. I love this show also because of the Stars and how they act. The Plots are the best and that's what keeps me focused on the TV. Step By Step Rocks!!!
  • I just discovered this show about a year ago. I think it's very clever, much better then The Brady Bunch. I especially like Cody, he's really dumb yet a genius.

This is a great show. All the characters have their own personalities. And the families are very different.

Fosters-Brainy Lamberts-Athletic
    Carol-Housewife Frank-Constrution worker
    Dana-Genius J.T.-Jock
    Karen-Hot Al-Tomboy
    Mark-Geeky smarty Brendan-Cute little one
    Cody-Dumb Genius
    Lily-Baby

This show has alot of characters, all of them are unique.It's easy to know their personalities in the pilot and many other episodes. The creaters of this show make alot of other shows I like. Like Full House and Family Matters. I suggest you to watch this show it's very good. It has great storylines. Hot actresses and funny characters. It's on weekdays at 2 p.m.
  • This show was a typical family show with an addictive theme. It was basically like the Brady Bunch. A divorced woman and a divorced man marry each other. Now their kids have to get together.

Probably the most underrated show on ABC's Friday Night lineup. It wasn't as good as Urkel but still this show really wasn't that bad. Suzanne Summers plays Carol and Patrick Duffy plays Frank, while Carol has two daughter's and a son (Dana, Karen, and Mark) and Frank has two son's and a daughter (J.T, Brendan, and Al.)Also introduced very early in the show is a character called Cody who is Frank's nephew who is a musician and is a little bit out there. He has a crush on Dana, and that's basically how the show started. With easy family problems. Then later on Carol got pregnant and they introduced another character on the show a baby named Lily. Right around this time Sasha Mitchell who played Cody was taken off the show because of spouse abuse problems. Without Cody, Step by Step introduced Jean Luc (A French salonist working for Carol played by Bronson Pinchot from Balki and Larry). Also at the same time they turned the baby Lily into a toddler and brough the girl from the Welche's grape juice commercial's to play her. The show weathered the storm and by 1997 it left ABC to join CBS for their answer to the ABC'S TGIF line up but after one season the show ended. Very underrated but as the show goes on the character's all grow up and Al of course becomes the hottest character by the end of the series.
< 1 2