Step It Up & Dance

Thursday 10:00 PM on Bravo Premiered Apr 03, 2008 Between Seasons

Step It Up & Dance Fan Reviews (4)

• Is this just another copy of "So You Think You Can Dance"?

Dancers competiting to be the best. Blah, blah, blah. I am sorry to the ones who do lie this show, but this show is just another copy of "So You Think You Can Dance".

I am just not into this show. Lots of dance shows mostly "So You Think You Can Dance" and "Randy Jackson Presents America's Best Damce Crew" go well, just this one didn't.

I just think they, don't have the right plot. Like each dance show is different. For example;

"So You Think You Can Dance" starts off with couples leading to finale.

"Dancing with the Stars", is in where contestants get to dance with celebrities. "Randy Jackson Presents" takes dance crews, instead of contestants.

Final grade: 4.0/10
  • A truly wonderful show filled with drama, entertainment and overall a great work ethic from the professional dancers competing to win the grand prize.

Step It Up and Dance is made by the producers of other Bravo reality shows such as Project Runway and Top Chef and takes a similar format.

Each week, the dancers - ten at first, which is soon wittled down week by week to just one, the winner - are given a new challenge and must learn a new routine and audition for the guest choreographer. Whoever impresses is put in the winning group and cannot be eliminated, whereas the less impressive are placed in the elimination group and one of them faces elmination.

The show is very entertaining and showcases a wide variety of different styles of dance - including ballet, jazz funk, hip hop, modern and Broadway - and has the same amount of drama as many other reality shows. The contestants, however are all professional dancers and therefore are not starting from scratch.

As the host, Elizabeth Berkley - who does a great job, as do the judges, Nancy O'Meara and Vincent Paterson, along with mentor, Jerry Mitchell - has said, the show is all about professional dancers at the top of their game fighting for recognition, the opportunity to work with top choreographers and for the chance to win a prize of $100,000.

This show is a rare example of a reality show done correctly and is definitely a must see for any dance fan or anyone who loves reality television. Perhaps even those who are not that into reality shows will find some enjoyment in it as well, as it mainly focuses on the work and dancing rather than the dancer's personal lives. Although there is some drama to keep things going in between rehearsals and callbacks!
  • Dance competition formated similarly to the other Bravo reality staples, Project Runway, Top Chef, etc.

Elizabeth Berkeley was a red flag in the original promos for this dance competition reality series. I popped in because I used to dance and enjoy even the worst of the Dancing with the Stars episodes. Pleasantly surprised by the quality of the dancing showcased here, I have become an avid viewer. I'm especially interested in the variety of choreographers and styles presented. From the Apache to classic Broadway to Hip-Hop and Latin, these dancers are stretched beyond their comfort zones regularly. I never get the feeling that underperformers are kept on the show simply to encourage their colorful personalities. And Berkeley has proven herself very capable as presenter. Jerry Mitchell, Tony winning choreographer, is also on hand in the Tim Gunn, Jacquelyn Smith role of mentor to the dancers. Give this a chance!
  • Horrible

I don't know any other word for this show... Horrible. I watched it hopeing it would get better and the more I watched the more I was totally and utterly discusted with myself on watching this poor poor show. The host wow she needs to go back to Saved by the Bell. Yet another bad show. I know this is a reality show but come on who would watch this... what can you really get out of this show... no ideas for fashion, or recipes. I just don't know how this even got to be a show... My opinion don't waste your time~