Steve Harvey

February 4, 2013

Aired Weekdays 3:00 PM Feb 04, 2013 on NBC

• Ask Steve (Police Officer question about fixing tickets for relatives)

Dear Mr. Harvey I am a big fan of your show and watch your show almost every day and really believe that you provide your viewers with good and reliable information about all topics, but today (2-4-13) on your show a police officer asked a question relative to fixing tickets for family members, and the information you provided her with can get her into a lot of trouble on her job. Mr. Harvey I don't know if you were just joking with the officer, but I have been in law enforcement for over 31 years and in some states it is against the law to fix tickets. The best thing for the officer to do is have her relative contact the DA's office handling the case instead of taking the ticket and holding it until the person miss their court date because when the person gets stopped by another officer and they are arrested for a bench warrant they are going to advise the officer that stops them that they gave the ticket to her to fix and that will start an internal affairs investigation in which she will have to explain how and why she has the ticket. She will be suspended or fired depending on her departmental policies.