Still Standing Forums

CBS (ended 2006)

Why was this show cancelled?

Kwanatic1

[21]Jun 9, 2007
    • level: 1
    Its funny how others have done the same thing i have done....I never knew anything about this show, other than seeing I think a preview for it maybe once or twice, but I was working a crazy schedule those years, (and was with my ex husband who was not in to comedies, grr) but i digress. I just started catching reruns in March, my mom was in hospital, and one of my relatives had it on in the waiting room. I immediately fell in love with it. my next thought was "Darn ittttt!!!! its cancelled" i mean, in syndication, all i have found so far are possibly 20 episodes from lifetime and WB and its the same ones over and again. I mean, surely there was more than one Christmas and Thanksgiving episode? If there were 80+ during the run...then where are the rest of them? I really wish I'd known of this wonderful show when it aired, and possibly could have written or something to help keep it on the air. I wonder how many people there are now who would be at a place where we could watch it regularly (or at least Tivo it if we must work, etc.)?My aunt said she watched it every episode when it aired and always loved it. I mean, this show just makes me happy to even see it.My mother passed away while in the hospital, and during sad times, i like to watch things that warm me and make me laugh, this was such a show! lol, its theme song could be sung about it... I for one am still in love with it today, cause it makes me happy! They brought back 7th Heaven (another show i always liked) but this one is just a charmer. I tell ya, right now, it's ranking up there as one of my all time favorite shows, right there with Andy Griffith and all that good stuff!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

cbminfo

[22]Jul 7, 2007
    • level: 3
    It's like everyone here never heard of the show till it went to Fox or some other network in re-runs.
    I'm on my 3rd go round with fox in re-runs. Luckier than most, Fox air's 2 episodes a night M-F and another 3rd on Saturday mornings.
    I'm just hoping I capture all the episodes. Have 38 now. Only need 50 more. Sheesh...

gs78

[23]Jul 28, 2007
    • level: 4
    If New Christine is so great, how come it could only muster a mid season replacement on CBS for the 2007-2008 season? Still Standing should have been brought back for another season. We need more shows like this on TV! Mark Addy should be given another chance to star in another sitcom someday! So should the people that created this funny show! Enough with the reality tv crap!

gs78

[24]Jul 28, 2007
    I wonder how many people are watching it in reruns that did not watch it back in 2002-2006 when it first aired on CBS! They should at least have a reunion of this show someday! WHY IS IT NOT ON DVD?

AmyGrantfan

[25]Jul 28, 2007
    • level: 2
    gs78 wrote:
    I wonder how many people are watching it in reruns that did not watch it back in 2002-2006 when it first aired on CBS! They should at least have a reunion of this show someday! WHY IS IT NOT ON DVD?

Count me as one of the many who didn't fully appreciate this show until it began airing on Lifetime. I knew about it when it was on CBS; I think I even watched it a couple of times. But it wasn't until Lifetime that I really got hooked. It's interesting... I'd bet that if it had as many viewers when it was in first-run primetime as it does now, it would still be on the air. Kind of sad, really... I blame CBS because they should'nt have jerked the show around time slots so much.

As far as DVDs, I agree... where are they?? Hopefully as it gains more and more viewers on Lifetime (and other syndicated outlets), it'll be more of a possibility.

Chad

cbminfo

[26]Jul 28, 2007
    jekyll wrote:
    It underperformed in the ratings. It's as simple as that.

Actually it's not as simple as that.

I myself just found out about the show when it went into reruns at 11 pm. Scanning other web sites, I've found I'm not alone in not even knowing this show existed. IOW: You want to blame someone for lousy ratings, go after the network advertising dept. and lay it on their doorstep for not letting anyone know it existed..

I also heard they couldn't even give this show a stable time slot from week to week. To find it people had to scan channels every half hour on every day. Or find a TV guide that no longer exists.

gs78

[27]Jul 29, 2007

I never watched the show, either! I remember seing a few promos for it on CBS, but I didn't start watching it until the reruns came out on Lifetime and MY TV 20 in Detroit! To be honest, that is how I watch many shows! On Reruns on Cable and local TV! I like sitcoms, but I am a huge sports junkie, TIGERS, RED WINGS, PISTONS AND LIONS! I don't watch many Network Programs, except for a few shows like the Simpsons, but if Still Standing was still on CBS or revived by another network, I would watch or tape it every week!

gs78

[28]Jul 29, 2007
    Still Standing was on three different Monday Night Time slots and a Wednesday Night Time Slot in its four year run, according to Wikipedia. How is a show supposed to develop a loyal fan base when it is always on the move? Especially with 500 Channels available on Cable TV! Not to mention the Internet, DVDs and MP3s for people to entertain themselves! This show could have lasted at lot longer if given the proper promotion and a steady time slot. STILL STANDING NEEDS TO BE PUT OUT ON DVD!
    Edited on 07/29/2007 12:41am

cbminfo

[29]Jul 29, 2007
    Most likely can't do much about bringing it back. But no reason message boards like this can't continue with trivia, and discussions about different episodes.

[30]Jul 29, 2007
    • level: 7
    I'm one of the few people on this forum that DID watch the show during its original run. I loved it and never missed an episode. I'm one of the people that just got tired of Raymond and waited until S.S. came on to sit down and watch TV. When S.S. was cancelled and I came on this forum to lament, it seemed that there may have only been 4 - 5 topics in which 2 was dealing with the cancellation. It remained that way until S.S. went into syndication. Now there's more activity than ever. Its not that this forum has as many posts as Criminal Minds, CSI, or even Law & Order, however seeing that it does have more activity now than when it was on CBS is simply amazing to me! It is possible that S.S. will become one of those shows that bound to become a classic: being more popular in syndication than during its first run!

gs78

[31]Jul 29, 2007
    It probably will! Mainly, because there is such a huge lack of family sitcoms on the networks these days! It is all about reality TV! However, in 20 years, people probably won't care about them! AT LEAST THE RERUNS OF TODAY"S REALITY TV SHOWS!
    Edited on 07/29/2007 10:24pm
    Edited 2 total times.

gs78

[32]Jul 30, 2007
    I agree! Nothing wrong with having a message board for fans of Still Standing and other TV Shows!What better way to keep up to date on airings of reruns, possible DVD releases and news about what the cast members are doing right now!

leofrdy

[34]Aug 3, 2010
    • level: 2

Loved this show too, sorry it went off the air, also loved Yes Dear, Lopez, and according to Jim, all my favs off the air and now I watch reruns of Raymond, yes dear, Jim....every day...