Still Standing

Still Our Little Boy

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Nov 03, 2003 on CBS

• Surprised by Excellence

I admit I\'ve been pretty down on sitcoms for a long, long time. I\'d never really watched \"Still Standing\" for that matter, although I\'ve always liked Jami Gertz\'s work, and I\'d given the show a chance when it first debuted.

But while I was flipping channels several days ago, I managed to land on this episode. I must have landed on a real good spot, because two or three lines in, I stayed for the whole thing. I hadn\'t laughed so hard at a sitcom in YEARS. This one had so many twists and surprises, and I think what got me laughing so hard was how real the situation felt, between the teenage boy and his parents. Points to the writers for also handling the boy\'s difficulties with puberty \"right on target\": not tossed off as a crude subject as a set-up for tasteless jokes, but using it as a springboard for real character-driven humor. It was universal (dads and sons confused and embarrassed on both sides of having to discuss puberty) yet specific: each family member is a very specific character in his/her reactions. THAT\'S what makes it true art.

And then there was the subplot of the dad\'s birthday party which created a perfect setup for side-splitting lines and reactions, fueled by comic \"bad timing\" and awkward moments ...

My only real regret was that I didn\'t have a tape cued up so I could tape it. This episode is truly a \"keeper\".

And it\'s nice to find out there\'s sitcoms these days that can still me LAUGH like that!
  • Just plain funny.

This was one of the funniest sitcom episodes I ever saw and a real standout for this show. I simply couldn't believe the jokes they did on such a delicate subject, and I laughed all the way through and recorded it to DVD when they did reruns. Bill is just so funny in this story. He finally found a good reason to respect his son -- the size of Brian's manhood. Hilarious! And the story had a lot of twists and turns all through it. Bill used to practice kissing on his dog, and then he ate the dogs food. Real funny stuff.